Warrantless Cell Phone Tracking.

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Warrantless Cell Phone Tracking.
Warrantless Cell Phone Tracking.
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-03-03 13:22:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh Florida.
Police used a cell phone tracking gadget 200 times without ever telling a judge: Because we signed an NDA, duh!
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-03-03 13:31:52
Link | Quote | Reply

To be clear, there are a few parts to this:
1. Tracking of devices without a warrant
2. NDAs used as justification for not informing judges
3. In this particular case, not getting a warrant for searching a premises solely due to not wanting to reveal information about the tracking
By Fumiku 2014-03-03 13:50:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Man technology is some seriously evolving ***........ SOOOO damn dirty......
By Jetackuu 2014-03-03 20:24:27
Link | Quote | Reply

It's too bad that the police didn't obtain a warrant to search the premises for this guy, he's most likely a scumbag that will get less of a sentence because they *** up. That being said, he'll most likely *** up again.

The police who use this ***need to be on trial for violating the rights of citizens, knowingly and intentionally, and be stripped of their jobs, rank, pay, severance, and be put in jail, and barred from working in law enforcement again.

Same with the lawyers who defend this ***.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-03-03 20:30:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
It's too bad that the police didn't obtain a warrant to search the premises for this guy, he's most likely a scumbag that will get less of a sentence because they *** up. That being said, he'll most likely *** up again.

The police who use this ***need to be on trial for violating the rights of citizens, knowingly and intentionally, and be stripped of their jobs, rank, pay, severance, and be put in jail, and barred from working in law enforcement again.

Same with the lawyers who defend this ***.

I'm with you up to the lawyers. EVERYONE deserves representation, it's the basis of our judicial system that dozens of countries around the world have copied and nearly half of modern country's systems are inspired by. The reason things like this are becoming more commonplace is because of the lack of consequence. If the law enforcement and investigative agencies who are doing these things were made to answer for them criminally (the way any private citizen would be), I dare say we would be seeing a lot less of these blatant violations of our civil liberties. The Patriot Act opened the floodgates for this kind of investigative tyranny, I can't believe how impotent our supreme court and lawmakers have been about that.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-03-03 20:38:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't feel bad for corrupt lawyers who prosecute frivolous lawsuits for the state, they perpetrate this nonsense.

Yeah, I still say EVERYONE who signed the patriot act needs to stand trial for treason.
By Jetackuu 2014-03-03 20:40:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I see your point though, to be fair. I just don't think they should keep getting away with it as they're a big part of the problem.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-03-03 21:23:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
I see your point though, to be fair. I just don't think they should keep getting away with it as they're a big part of the problem.

Meh, a lawyer is in business to represent a party, regardless of who they are or what they did/didn't do. It's sad that a good lawyer is able to get obviously guilty parties off clean, but our system is designed with the idea that it is better to let 10 guilty people free than imprison one innocent one. It's a bit of a balancing act, but in order to preserve the integrity of the system, you have to play it that way. The alternative is much worse.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [179 days between previous and next post]
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-08-30 00:43:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Bumped for more related to this story, in how this was not an isolated case.

The go-to response when denying surveillance equipment was manufacturer NDA's
Police Departments in CA and manufacturer NDA's
Quote:
The Harris (REDACTED) equipment is proprietary and used for surveillance missions," the agreement reads. "Its capabilities can only be discussed with sworn law enforcement officers, the military or federal government. This equipment's capabilities are not for public knowledge and are protected under non-disclosure agreements as well as Title 18 USC 2512."

"While I am not familiar with what San Jose has said, my understanding is that the acquisition or use of this technology comes with a strict non-disclosure requirement," said Undersheriff James Lewis in an emailed statement. "Therefore it would be inappropriate for us to comment about any agency that may be using the technology."

Then emails were leaked where US Marshals instructed police to lie to the courts about where evidence came from.

Now Washington law enforcement are citing a NDA with the FBI
Quote:
Police Chief Don Ramsdell, through a spokeswoman, declined an interview request to talk about the police department’s apparent purchase of a Stingray device and associated technology. The department cited a nondisclosure agreement it has with the FBI.

Because of the NDA excuse no one knew this was being used to gather evidence
Quote:
News that the city was using the surveillance equipment surprised City Council members, who approved an update for a device last year, and prosecutors, defense attorneys and even judges, who in court deal with evidence gathered using the surveillance equipment.
By Voren 2014-08-30 03:48:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I hate it when my fellow cops can't play fair. Not always can we justify the means by the end result.

It's asshats like these that makes my job harder. They successfully get legislation passed on behalf of criminals citizens everywhere.

Terry v. Ohio
Miranda v. Arizona

The list is bigger, but I'm tired.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-08-30 08:52:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Candlejack said: »
Ladies and germs, today's cellphone tracking sans warrants is brought to you by:
Your local and state police forces, the FBI, the CIA, the NSA, and through the support of Republicans like George W. Bush!

Oh, it was just the Republicans? That's good. I'm sure glad that none of this has been going on since Democrats have been in power.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-08-30 09:00:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, for once both sides are pretty guilty of being fascist dickwads.
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-08-30 09:47:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, this has nothing to do with politics.

Defense attorneys will be having field day in the coming years.
E.g.
"Can you prove the 'tip' came from a confidential source and not a warrantless investigation?"
"No?"
"Your honor, I submit, fruit of the poisonous tree and ask charges to be dismissed".