Forum » FFXI » General » FFXI-3001 and 4001 problem
FFXI-3001 and 4001 problem
 Ragnarok.Baskov
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Baskov
By Ragnarok.Baskov 2012-01-24 07:50:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, so starting yesterday I can't seem to reliably log into the game, I get through POL just fine, get through everything up to after you select your character and it goes to the black loading/downloading data screen. Now it usually just sits there for a few minutes and then pops up with the 3001 error code, and about 80% of the time after when I try to log back on it says my character is already logged into the game and to try again in a little bit. NOW we get to the oh so awesome fun part, if I manage to somehow make it into the game every few minutes my connection starts to drop(and I've been in skype chats while this happens and it's not an internet thing it's a FFXI/POL/SE server thing) and usually it drops to about 84% and then pops back up but sometimes it just drops and gives me the 4001 error code. Now I have scanned my POL files, FFXI files, restarted my computer, restarted my router, did ipconfig /flushdns in command prompt, and everything else I could think of ;w; please help
(this is a copy and paste from my post on the official forums, I just thought I'd throw it in here in case someone knows how to fix it : /)
The official forum post is here
 Ragnarok.Baskov
By Ragnarok.Baskov 2012-01-24 10:21:09
Link | Quote | Reply

If anyone knows the domain for Ragnarok so I can do a tracert to see where the hangup is I'd appreciate it, it'd be so much better yelling something intelligent at SE rather then just hate fueled babble
 Bismarck.Faelar
Server: Bismarck
user: Faelar
By Bismarck.Faelar 2012-01-24 10:29:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
The people at the Tech Support say that the way their system works is that the game would randomly switch the ports it uses so that hackers can't trace the signal and make changes to the game.

This confuses some routers because of their firewall... you can either disable the firewall entirely (while also openning up TCP Ports 25, 80, 110, 443 or 50000-65535 AND UDP Ports 50000-65535 (which was unacceptable in my case, because it exposes all the computers in our network... I wanted only MY computer to be exposed.) To expose one computer (or PS2) only, you have to allow the ports to open for that device only and plug your computer (or PS2) into the DMZ, which bypasses the router entirely and connects you directly to the cable modem.

Copy Pasted from a diff forum found via googling the 4001 error code.

For error 3001, you can disable your firewall.

-OR-

1. On your router, if you have the option to add "Applications & Gaming" ports. Enter POLBOOT.EXE with port range of 50000 - 65535 protocols are “BOTH” (tcp/udp) and then what ever IP address of your machine is.

2. On your router, again. If you have the option to add "Applications & Gaming" ports. Enter POL.EXE with port range of 50000 - 65535 protocols are “BOTH” (tcp/udp) and then what ever IP address of your machine is.

3. On your firewall you must add the above two applications you set in your router, now on your firewall. You should be able to add polboot.exe and pol.exe to a list of programs your Firewall permits and denies. For these two programs you want to "Permit All" for their "Internet Access".

Through my experience FFXI is -not- Firewall-friendly.

Hope this helps.
 Ragnarok.Baskov
By Ragnarok.Baskov 2012-01-25 09:27:05
Link | Quote | Reply

The port configuration didn't work and I even tried DMZing my computer and it still didn't work. I think it's a problem somewhere between my computer and the servers(as in a glitch in how I'm routed there.... if that makes sense)
 Ragnarok.Baskov
By Ragnarok.Baskov 2012-01-29 17:24:06
Link | Quote | Reply

So it appears to have been a problem with my router(about 36 hours after this started it shat the bed) So that solves the mystery of the craptastic connection problem XD