Whats Happening To My Country....Part 2

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Whats happening to my Country....Part 2
Whats happening to my Country....Part 2
First Page 2 3
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-03-22 00:17:04
Link | Quote | Reply

ok, I know there are a lot of people who would hate to get this thread started again, but hear me out. I'm not complaining about the governmental/economical standpoint of the United States of America. I'm complaining about the socialogical standpoint of the United States of America. So lets start (wall-o-text warning)

Back in the 1950s, the USA had a great reputation in the socialogical standpoint of the world. Everyone wanted to emulate us (hell, who wouldn't). We were all, one big happy family.

User submitted image

Then, we come to the 60s. Ok, not bad really. We wanted change from the drab, boring life of the 50s, and we wanted to "experiment" on certain subjects (mostly drugs). The Cold War was in full force, and everyone was scared for their lives. Hippies started coming out, and people started enjoying life more than keeping up with standards.

70s came, Vietnam happened. We got crazy, and we got angry. Most of the change that shaped our present happened in this decade.

80s came, so did Rock and Roll. Stock market crashed for a little while there, and the beginning of our current economic crisis happened during this time too.

90s came, Rap was produced. It became popular to be a thug. Contradictions was the social norm.

00s....well, up to now, has been in constant fear of the unknown. This is, what we can call, the fear decade.

And then, we became this

User submitted image

What happened can be considered to be the fault of the 70s, 80s, and 00s. What do you guys think is the main reason we changed from the nice society of the 50s to todays horrible society of the 00s?

Mind you, none of us actually were around during the 50s, but it is safe to say that it was much better social-wise then as it is today.
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-22 00:22:55
 Delete | Link | Quote | Reply

That pretty much sums it up. Things got more complex, and with complexity comes the margin of conflict. This combined with changes in government and media tactics screwed us all up pretty bad. I just hope we can use some of our "complexity" and turn things on it's back to wise it up and kick things back in shape. Not necessary to the extent of becoming like the Stepford Wives but to have a more clean and economically sound environment.
 Lakshmi.Galvaya
Server: Lakshmi
user: Galvaya
By Lakshmi.Galvaya 2009-03-22 00:25:43
Link | Quote | Reply

first off..they're British..
second off... your answer is a combination of two things: Women leaving the kitchen, and drugs.
Thank you.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-03-22 00:28:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry, my ignorance of people's nationality is a little skewed.

But still, why should the Ozborns or however you spell it be considered America's Family, or at least what us as Americans should strive for? Besides the USA's dependancy on TV for national education.
 Lakshmi.Galvaya
By Lakshmi.Galvaya 2009-03-22 00:31:49
Link | Quote | Reply

America's family? idk about that, however, Ozzy has had a large impact on USA pop culture, and its entertaining to watch them.
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-22 00:32:05

Galvaya said:
second off... your answer is a combination of two things: Women leaving the kitchen, and drugs.
Thank you.

Despite their origins, The Osbourne family became the (televised and exploited) embodiment of America. But alas, a long story short, over the past 50+ years what happened was: war, drugs, media and poor policies made in politics, that along with overall and generalized American apathy.
 Bahamut.Atrithk
Server: Bahamut
user: Atrithk
By Bahamut.Atrithk 2009-03-22 00:45:38
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem is the people of the USA, not USA itself.
Humanity as a whole is to blame, not any particular country.
This twisted game needs to be reset.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-03-22 00:51:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Atrithk said:
The problem is the people of the USA, not USA itself.
Humanity as a whole is to blame, not any particular country.
This twisted game needs to be reset.

I'm for global Genocide.

Thats the final solution!

Genocide without borders!
Genocide without hate!
Genocide without discrimination!

Who's with me???
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-22 00:53:14

We're doing that already. We just make up excuses along the way.
 Asura.Reublucian
user:
By Asura.Reublucian 2009-03-22 00:53:58

Radioheads album In Rainbows came out, and that changed the world.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-03-22 03:16:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
We're doing that already. We just make up excuses along the way.

Not really, cause we aren't killing ourselves.

Genocide without borders also mean Sucide too....
 Bismarck.Cadiz
Server: Bismarck
user: Cadiz
By Bismarck.Cadiz 2009-03-22 08:38:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Galvaya said:
Thank you.

*** you.
 Bismarck.Patrik
Server: Bismarck
user: Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2009-03-22 09:47:43
Link | Quote | Reply

it's all those damn kids and their skate boarding on the sidewalk o.o

anyway

well who knows, maybe all the old civilizations are right and we will all die in 2012 anyway! who knows, should be an intersting next three years.
 Lakshmi.Galvaya
By Lakshmi.Galvaya 2009-03-22 10:12:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Cadiz said:
Galvaya said:
Thank you.

*** you.

See, now that they left the kitchen, they can talk back, and legitimately have an opinion. Shame Shame. The world has gone to crap.
User submitted image
 Asura.Reublucian
user:
By Asura.Reublucian 2009-03-22 11:28:55

Porl Thompson left The Cure, and the world spiraled into a dark abyss.
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-03-22 11:42:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I blame the loss of Family values. Alot of these values came from church and the family unit. Not alot of people go to church like they used to and I haven't seen a family unit for a long time.
Mommy not being in the kitchen packing my school lunch and spanking me when I'm bad is definitely a big factor.
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-22 11:45:39

Ludoggy said:
I blame the loss of Family values. Alot of these values came from church and the family unit. Not alot of people go to church like they used to and I haven't seen a family unit for a long time.

If you're suggesting a generalized apathy to religion, keep in mind that religion works both ways. I can only imagine how many millions of lives have been taken away "in the name of God".
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-03-22 11:56:14
Link | Quote | Reply

That's by those crazies. I can't think of a religion that isn't be kind to your brother, no war, charity, blah blah.
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-22 12:01:03

True. Most religions are found on generalized and universal benevolence, understanding and acceptance. However, this also brings out ideals others will feed off of and use to alienate and kill others they deem unworthy.

My point was bad things can come from good intentions, especially when it comes to religion.
 Ifrit.Haseyo
Server: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-03-22 12:05:33

Galvaya said:
Cadiz said:
Galvaya said:
Thank you.

*** you.

See, now that they left the kitchen, they can talk back, and legitimately have an opinion. Shame Shame. The world has gone to crap.
User submitted image

My friend used to always hate me for making womens' rights jokes, but she knew I was kidding. They still make me lol though c.c

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Gilgamesh.Shayala
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Shayala
By Gilgamesh.Shayala 2009-03-22 13:02:36
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/blackpoolnews/Life39s-hectic-for-Blackpool-mother.5095510.jp?CommentPage=33#3870907

The state of British society is no better. :(
 Siren.Cordareo
Server: Siren
user: Cordareo
By Siren.Cordareo 2009-03-22 13:08:09
Link | Quote | Reply

This entire thread seems like a really bad pyramid scheme. o.o...

It starts out with,
Korpg said:
Back in the 1950s, the USA had a great reputation in the socialogical standpoint of the world.
which in itself was a joke. The USA was never a country with a reputation, unless you consider our great job at exploiting a native people and the amazing job we did enslaving a race of people. It's just been hate mongering and exploitation. It started with the American Indian, moved onto African Americans then today with our new scape goat being Mexicans/Illegal immigrants. It even bleeds over into minorites that make no sense whatsoever... You still hear words like: ***, Homo, Spi*, Ni**er, Chin*, etc. being used to this day.

This Generation is the most tolerable, but if you even begin to think that the USA has had some kind of reputation or some core system of values worth looking back on, you are dead wrong.

I don't believe a value is wanting to lynch someone, or beat someone to death because they like the same sex.

Korpg said:
Mind you, none of us actually were around during the 50s, but it is safe to say that it was much better social-wise then as it is today.

^ definitely not this

Post deleted by User.
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-22 13:42:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I think a lot of the societal problems of today in the U.S. stem from bad parenting for the most part. In generations past, if you *** up, you were punished for it. If my uncles back-talked my grandmother, my grandfather gave them a slap in the face. "But that's abuse!" people say...***; it taught my uncles that if the treat their mother like ***, they get 5 across the eye. Hence, they didn't treat my grandmother like ***.

We coddle our kids too much these days. Junior flunks a test, and it's "Let's talk about your feelings" or "But but, he has a LEARNING DISABILTY!!" or "IT'S JUST NOT FAIR!!!", not "Why weren't you studying?!" or "Did you even try?". I have friends that have worked in the teaching field, and nowadays every parent wants their kid to be a straight-A student, regardless if they did any damn thing to earn the grades. Personal responsibility has gone out the window, instead we teach kids how to point the finger and blame others for their shortcomings.

Your little princess is having trouble in school? I know, let's put her on Ritalin or Adderall, because obviously it couldn't be that she didn't even try, oh no no, it HAD to be because her brain isn't made to learn like everyone else's. And the teacher! It's the teacher's fault!! She's too hard on my little princess!! Oh, I know, it because this class doesn't stimulate her enough! Basically, it's ANY reason other than "Your kid *** around and failed."

Of course, those kids eventually grow up and expect the real world to be that way. I've had countless 18-20 year old people working under me that thought work was just a big version of school. "Oh, there's a concert tomorrow night? I'll just skip work!" and expect to be able to "make it up"...lolwut? I've had people come to me a week before thanksgiving, "Oh, by the way, I can't work from next Wednesday to Sunday, we're going out of town..." Uh, NO. Where were you 3 months ago when I told everyone to get their requests off in to me for the entire holiday season? One kid even brought a note from his mother "excusing him from work" so they could go on vacation...kid was freaking 20 YEARS OLD!! Needless to say, both kid and mom were none too happy with me when I explained to little Junior the way the world works, and that I had a business to run, and if he no shows not to bother coming back. TBH, Mom was more pissed off at me then the kid was lol

Anyways, teach your kids that the fairytale land where everyone is #1 is a myth. Ground them when they *** up. Make them clean up after themselves. Teach them how to be respectful. Teach them how to speak, think, and act like an adult. Teach them responsiblity and accountability. Make them get a job. Teach them how to balance their budget. Teach them how to treat each other.
[+]
 Asura.Reublucian
user:
By Asura.Reublucian 2009-03-22 13:46:29

Death Cab for Cuties new album isn't as good as the previous ones, which caused social disrupt. =(

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-22 14:01:59

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
I think a lot of the societal problems of today in the U.S. stem from bad parenting for the most part. In generations past, if you *** up, you were punished for it. If my uncles back-talked my grandmother, my grandfather gave them a slap in the face. "But that's abuse!" people say...***; it taught my uncles that if the treat their mother like ***, they get 5 across the eye. Hence, they didn't treat my grandmother like ***.

We coddle our kids too much these days. Junior flunks a test, and it's "Let's talk about your feelings" or "But but, he has a LEARNING DISABILTY!!" or "IT'S JUST NOT FAIR!!!", not "Why weren't you studying?!" or "Did you even try?". I have friends that have worked in the teaching field, and nowadays every parent wants their kid to be a straight-A student, regardless if they did any damn thing to earn the grades. Personal responsibility has gone out the window, instead we teach kids how to point the finger and blame others for their shortcomings.

Your little princess is having trouble in school? I know, let's put her on Ritalin or Adderall, because obviously it couldn't be that she didn't even try, oh no no, it HAD to be because her brain isn't made to learn like everyone else's. And the teacher! It's the teacher's fault!! She's too hard on my little princess!! Oh, I know, it because this class doesn't stimulate her enough! Basically, it's ANY reason other than "Your kid *** around and failed."

Of course, those kids eventually grow up and expect the real world to be that way. I've had countless 18-20 year old people working under me that thought work was just a big version of school. "Oh, there's a concert tomorrow night? I'll just skip work!" and expect to be able to "make it up"...lolwut? I've had people come to me a week before thanksgiving, "Oh, by the way, I can't work from next Wednesday to Sunday, we're going out of town..." Uh, NO. Where were you 3 months ago when I told everyone to get their requests off in to me for the entire holiday season? One kid even brought a note from his mother "excusing him from work" so they could go on vacation...kid was freaking 20 YEARS OLD!! Needless to say, both kid and mom were none too happy with me when I explained to little Junior the way the world works, and that I had a business to run, and if he no shows not to bother coming back. TBH, Mom was more pissed off at me then the kid was lol

Anyways, teach your kids that the fairytale land where everyone is #1 is a myth. Ground them when they *** up. Make them clean up after themselves. Teach them how to be respectful. Teach them how to speak, think, and act like an adult. Teach them responsiblity and accountability. Make them get a job. Teach them how to balance their budget. Teach them how to treat each other.

This ^

All of it.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2009-03-22 14:24:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Chiming in to agree with Xxnumbertwoxx.

As for the 50's being the ideal society, I think this is mostly a myth. If you really look back at some of the examples of an "ideal" family back then, it's actually pretty friggin' terrifying and nothing at all like the balanced, wholesome TV environment of the Cleaver family.

Try watching some clips of Jackie Kennedy's press tours through the White House. She was held as the perfect standard for wives during the 50's and early 60's, and it's eerie, creepy, zombie horror film material. Thank god women don't aspire to that anymore -- as a dude, I would probably die of boredom and smothering creepiness. Unless of course I was Jack Kennedy, in which case, as another inspiring example of the ideal husband during that time, I would cope by sleeping with Marilyn Monroe and most of the female White House staff and Press Corp.

In fact, according to J. Edgar Hoover's files, there was hardly a single member of Congress who wasn't an example of spectacular fail at what social conservatives now term "traditional" family values. (Oh, and that dude turned turned out to be probably gay anyway.)

I could go on, but I won't. I think the 50's were less of an ideal time, and more a time of such severe social oppression and hypocrisy, the bad stuff was just hushed up. By comparison, these days we still have our occasional "wide stance" controversy, but by and large, we have become so hyper-obsessed with other people's "moral" lives that nobody makes it to the upper echelons of government and power with that many obvious family skeletons in their closets.

It's also interesting to note that many of the boomer parents responsible for all the current parenting problems Xxnumbertwoxx mentioned grew up during this supposedly "ideal" time as well, and as Xxnumbertwox mentioned:

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
TBH, Mom was more pissed off at me then the kid was lol

As for the above jokes about women's rights (and the unnecessarily knee-jerk offense taken to those jokes), while a staunch supporter of gender equality myself, I find that some modern women simply use it as a platform for a similar inability to take personal responsibility. Don't do well in school? Don't do well in your career? Don't do well in sports? Don't do well in relationships? Always find you end up with some jerk? That's easy -- it's all men's fault.

Same problem, different rationalization.
First Page 2 3