users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Moblin Maze Mongers
Moblin Maze Mongers
Server: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-01-12 13:30:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay, so my trusty THF friend and I were bored last night; no quests available we could reasonably duo, no NMs to camp, no missions to do...so we decided to give the Moblin Maze Mongers stuff a try and see how it all worked out.

We were duoing, 61 THF and 61 DNC. We each got our runes and stuff, arranged them on the Tabula thing (is there some method to that madness at all, what exactly do those pieces DO, anyways?) and turned them in. THF tried to turn his in first, when he got this message "The hands of darkness are preventing you from entering"...what the hell does THAT mean? At any rate, that's not a big issue as mine worked fine, and his worked fine after we did mine, but just curious about that.

At any rate, we read up on it some, noticed that we only had 30 minutes to clear the maze, so we joked between ourselves that wouldn't it suck if we got Oozes or something in our maze. So we lol'd, entered the maze, and wouldn't you know it, we got freaking Oozes. We killed things as fast as we possibly could, but there was just no way, the maze started crumbling just as we were finishing up the last ooze (the rest of the mobs were Magic Pots, another great mob for our combination). We got the message "You'd better leave now! etc.." so we used our magic compass and got the hell out.

So we cry for a minute, then decide to give it another go with the THF's Tabula. We figure, we already got Oozes, so hopefully his Maze won't be that bad. Of course, we get Sea Monks this time around, which were a LITTLE easier then the Oozes, although they pounded us quite a bit more. We managed to put them all down reasonably quick, and then we saw what the next mob in his maze was...Earth Elementals. Freaking Elementals. We spent like 8 minutes killing one of those things, and then just gave up, as there were like 8 left according to the compass, and there was just NO WAY.

So questions...does the Maze just pick like the HARDEST mob for you to fight according to your jobs or something? Seemed like everything we got was resistant to physical damage in some way. Also, if you're still in the maze when it collapses, do you die? What happens? If I could fight til the bitter end without eating a death, I would...but we didn't know for sure and didn't want to take a chance. Does the number of mobs in the maze have something to do with the number of people going in with you? We want to try with a couple more LS peeps (nobody has done it yet in our LS) but if we get twice as many ugly mobs we're in the same boat as we were before...

Actually, ANY first hand information on the subject would be appreciated. So far we're 0 for 2, and we'd like to actually accomplish SOMETHING here lol.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-01-12 13:58:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bartimaeus said:
Also if you're unsure, we farm using a lvl 1 job in our party. Tabula M01's mobs level sync to the lower party member. So while you get no exp, you do get the marbles and the possible rune drops.

Thanks for the info; we figured that with 2 of us, and the mobs only being DC-T, we'd be okay at 61. Of course, a T elemental is a hell of a lot different then a T bat, so that's our bad. You know what they say about assuming and all ^^

We're going to try again (maybe tonight?) using the lowbie job method like you said. The Experience isn't our main concern, we just wanna complete them. We'll prolly just switch off, I'll be my lowbie for my maze, he'll be his lowbie for his. Hopefully we can come out with a decent amount of marbles ^^

Weird, I've never deliberately tried to be a LOW job for something before. Outta be interesting ^^

Post deleted by User.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-01-12 14:10:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Bartimaeus said:
First time testing a maze I did mine, went in alone, "oh look light elementals". DeathDeathDeath

That literally made my LOL, so thanks for the chuckles ^^

Post deleted by User.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-01-12 14:51:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bartimaeus said:
Well it was like 15 minutes into the new update. I st00pidly thought maybe the maze's were for all types, even whm who solo. lol

Glad my loss of experience can make someone happy. lol jk

That was my understanding as well, I figured that the mazes were something any job can just go in and solo, you know, something that you don't NEED a party, just something fun to do while waiting around for other more serious thing. I shoulda known better, EASY and FFXI seem to be mutually exclusive terms a lot of the time, at least for me and my terrible luck lol

As for the death, I feel your pain; I try to laugh about it. Of course, I usually swear and kick things at first (especially now that I'm finally in the 60's and a death is so freaking painful exp wise), but if I stayed angry about every death I'd be pissed off 24/7. I've eaten more deaths then I can remember, as have most I would think...now I just screenshot them for my, and my LS's, epic lulz :)
 Fairy.Tbest
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-01-12 16:04:17
Link | Quote | Reply

So, not really adding much new info to this thread, but... Yeah.. Right now +42 is pretty much the cap that you can get on your tab. The first rune I'd suggest getting is the Trial by Budget (+7), then you can grab the other trials as well if you're just farming marbles.
Some people take full parties in and don't sync down so they can get xp... But...

My friends and I either farm marbles or kill bosses with our tabs. We have a few 42's, then a couple 35's, and 22+'s. We get well over 200 marbles each night we go for farming with 7 characters.

Some things I'd suggest investing in after you get a couple + marble runes would be the mob family ones that cost 200. You can use those on farming and bosses.

All runes fall into a few categories. #1 +Marbles (Trial by Budget/Amnesia/Silence/Numbers/Velocity) #2 Changes mob type (Beast/Lizard/etc.) #3 Changes mob size (Great Warrior/Peon/etc.) #4 Changes mob behavior (Altered Defense/Divine Magic/Job Runes) #5 Affects treasure chest (Lost and Found / Conditioning Contract.

Hope some of this helped.

Can answer more questions if ya'd like in-game after maintenance. >.>
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-01-12 16:11:44
Link | Quote | Reply

And what do you accomplish in this maze stuff? Sorry I was out of the game like 2 months came back and new things added, npcs moved, I feel like a noob again. Think looks like another Pokemon stadium idea again to keep ppl busy.

I hear u get a eye patch, is that it? I mean there's no gigantic reward at the end like a great *** earring, ring, armor piece anything?
 Fairy.Tbest
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-01-12 16:15:39
Link | Quote | Reply

The bosses drop all of the new weapons with "Crit against so and so mob family" and supposedly they drop the new RR3 earring as well, but I haven't seen any of that yet. We fight the Great Warrior + Lizard Boss for the Koggelmander on our boss runs (which we've been doing a lot lately since we have marbles coming out our ears. @.@).

Post deleted by User.