Forum » FFXI » General » Ranger equip
Ranger equip
 Hades.Dekar
Server: Hades
Game: FFXI
user: Dekar
By Hades.Dekar 2009-01-05 11:14:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm going to be lvling Ranger to 75 as my next 75 and i've been looking at the gear i'll want for end game. Most i've decided what i'm going to get etc. the problem i'm having is deciding which legs are best to get. 1 being tp gain 1 being ws. Now i'm pretty noobish rng atm not that high of a lvl but, i can't decide on using haidates afv2 paluwahn etc. some feed back on any gear you'd like to give me advice on i'm planning on E.bow / hellfire+1(or nq) Obow osode amemet+1 pca triump earrings blood fng gauntlets couple of Rac rings then rajas and another str ring for ws looking into geting scouts belt legs afv2 haidates paluwahn idk feet hume rse2 or rutter sabatons or my denali gamashes any feed back welcome appreciate the help guys
 Hades.Dekar
By Hades.Dekar 2009-01-05 11:17:21
Link | Quote | Reply

also body advice be good as well kyudogi osode afv2 archers jupon there's someothers as well i think some feed back on them be appreciated as well
 Leviathan.Webjester
Server: Leviathan
user: Webjester
By Leviathan.Webjester 2009-01-05 12:09:39
Link | Quote | Reply

My $0.02 (as RNG70)

Legs: Dusk, AF2, Paddock Trousers, Jaridah Salvars.

Head: O.Hat, Wyvern Helm, AF1 Head

O.Hat for WS, AF1 for TP (RATK + Rapid Shot Boost really helps TP Gain and Overall dot).

Body: K.Osode > P.Body > AF1 > Archers (Don't bother with AF2 or Kyudogi)

Osode gives you 10 STR and 10 AGI (amongst others), Pahluwan gives you 10 RACC and Crit+, AF1 10 RACC. All three are solid. Archers is a bit of a crap shoot. While it does give a nice buff to STR and RATK, it also penalizes you 10 RACC. You can try TPing in it if the rest of your RACC gear is up to snuff.

Rings:

TP: Raja's + Behemoth (+1)
WS: Behemoth (+1) x2
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-01-05 12:58:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Pahluwan legs are the cheapest and easiest (and therefore perhaps the best) leg choice in and out of weapon skills. Why you'd use Haidate on Ranger I don't know, they give nothing for the job unless you're meleeing for TP (which you should only be doing if you have a Kraken Club). Even if you're engaged and hitting the enemy with axes, use something else; the Haidate really is a wasted slot on Ranger.

As for the body, I would go for Kirin's Osode personally, nowadays it isn't that expensive and it's got good results. Until you can afford one or climb high enough in a sky shell's roster to lot them, your AF body will be a decent and cheap option if you don't have the assault points for Pahluwan.
 Diabolos.Sovereign
Server: Diabolos
user: Galactus
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-01-05 13:58:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Absolute required pieces for Ranger, in my opinion as a RNG67, include:

~ Trotters/Skadi feet/Wyrmal legs. Any type of movement speed will single-handedly change the way you play the job.

~ Hope Torque. Best option for the neck, hands down. Until then, Ranger's necklace unless you can afford a Peacock Charm.

~ Scout's Belt/Buccaneer's Belt. The waist is a pretty weak slot for RNG, except on these two pieces. Scouts is the best in the game, if you can manage to get your hands on it. Buccaneer's if Scout's isnt an option.

~ Pahluwan legs. Simply put, the only reason to ever take these off is when you finish upgrading Skadi legs.

~ Denali jacket/Kirin's Osode. Denali for TP, Osode for weaponskills. You should have both anyway.

~ Ebow/Vbow. If you cant afford one or hate camping NMs, get a Selene's. It's close enough.

~ Seiryu's Kote/Crimson hands. Both stupidly easy to get, so getting one or the other shouldnt be a big deal. Use them until you've got Skadi hands.

~ Skadi head/O.hat. Use Pahluwan or Denali if neither of these is available, or if you hate the ugliness of the O.hat. Scout's Beret just to be sexy, cause any weed of that color is definitely worth smoking.
 Hades.Sush
user: Sush
By Hades.Sush 2009-01-05 14:20:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't do ranger its a trap take it from me! j/k ... dekar why not just send me a tell in game you nub.
 Hades.Dekar
By Hades.Dekar 2009-01-05 14:57:08
Link | Quote | Reply

well the whole bit about haidates was is Dex increases crit hit rate etc wasn't sure if it applied to ranged attacks as well but that's why i said something about using haidates.
 Hades.Dekar
By Hades.Dekar 2009-01-05 15:11:24
Link | Quote | Reply

and sush i just wanted opinions of many
 Hades.Dekar
By Hades.Dekar 2009-01-05 15:51:51
Link | Quote | Reply

also another question is what does everyone thing the best food for rng is. please state why u think it's the best or if its situational etc
 Leviathan.Webjester
Server: Leviathan
user: Webjester
By Leviathan.Webjester 2009-01-05 16:26:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Situational, but can also depend on your gear.

Gear wise, Ranged Accuracy is generally easier to fill than Ranged Attack and/or +STR.

If your gear is heavily stacked on ranged accuracy, Coeurl Subs are great, as are the yellow and red curries (though more expensive).

If your gear is lacking in ranged accuracy, Squid and Sole Sushi are great.

NQ/HQ Squid/Sole give +15%/16% Ranged Accuracy, and +5 AGI or STR.
Coeurl Subs give +20% Ranged Attack (cap: 75) and +5 STR +1 AGI.

If you can get double Minuet from a Merited Bard, your Coeurl Sub won't be so earth shattering, but the Sushi* sure will come in handy.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-01-05 17:00:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Pea Soup has a whopping +5 Ranged Accuracy and is cheap as chips at a current mark up of 2,500g!

(Webjester said what needed saying regarding food, lol)
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-01-05 23:46:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Denali Jacket over Kirin's Osode for TP? :O

AGI10 Ratk9 vs AGI10 STR10
Ratk9 vs Ratk5 STR10
Ratk4 vs STR10

STR10 will easily outpower the 4ratk there in most situations.

Meat will always conquer sushi if you can attain 90%+ acc with meat (roughly), especially since ratk increases rng damage potential so explosively. It is of course, all situational however.
 Diabolos.Ksusno
Server: Diabolos
user: Ksusno
By Diabolos.Ksusno 2009-01-06 00:32:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Me personally I use

Weapons: Kreig/Fran or for Kirin/DL I'll use Vulcan with /SAM or /WAR

Head: Wyvern Helm +1 (Yeah no ranged acc but) ranged attacks work on fSTR2. fSTR is the damage bonus/penalty from your strength - the mobs VIT, with melee jobs it takes 4-6 STR to raise your fSTR value by 1 whereas for RNGs and another range attack users it only takes 2-3 STR to raise your fSTR2 value up 1 so long story short so this is pretty much the only head I use well maybe trying out Hunter's Beret with Scout's Jerkin but that's another story..

Neck: Best of the best is Hope Torque but until then just rock Ranger's Necklace

Earrings: Triumph's, if you're a gun user you might wanna use Genin if you're /NIN or even Drones

Body: Osode, don't really mess with anything else (Unless you're doing Hunter's Beret/Scout's Jerkin but I've never tried it yet cause I'm stubborn lol)

Hands: Crimson's to start off with Seriyu's Kotes for Gun/X-bow users personally I'm going for Skadi's hands because even though you lose a huge chunk of ranged acc the STR+5/AGI+5 is pretty sweet (Only use if you can make up for the loss of Ranged Acc) also Hunter's Gloves +1 for Barrage

Rings: This I'm kinda unsure about because I know some people like to macro in STR rings for their WS but I fulltime Behemoth's +1 and use attack food like Couerl Subs over sushi when having to compensate for the huge acc loss

Back: Amemet Mantle +1 all day, unless you wanna macro in a mantle with Ranged Acc for your Barrages

Waist: Only 2, Buccaner's Belt, and Scout's Belt like Sov said Bucc's belt if you can't get Scout's, if you have both and your Ranged Acc isn't lacking too much, TP in Buccaner's Belt and WS in Scout's Belt, the AGI+5 and Ranged Attack+7 will out do the Buccaner's Belt +4 STR in WS

Legs: Pahluwan legs are sweeet Ranged Acc+4 and STR but....Hachiryu Haidate, if you can make up for the ranged acc loss....super nice.

Feet: Two really good feet to chose from, Scout's and Skadi's, Scout's if you're acc is fine, Skadi's for pulling and if your acc is kinda lacking in other spots

That's pretty sums up how I feel about it but experiment and try different things to see what suits you best
 Cerberus.Saiya
Server: Cerberus
user: Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-01-06 03:31:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Question about RNG, mine is 72 and i'm almost there!!. For WS with a Bow: Seiryu's Kote, (AGI mod on Sidewinder) or Crimson Hands?

Also if you don't yet have an Osode (like me) Denali body seems to be a better choice for WS?
 Ifrit.Kalix
Server: Ifrit
user: Tokitung
By Ifrit.Kalix 2009-01-06 08:54:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Putting in some info from my experience (75 Rng for 4 years)

First, figure out if you're gonna be an OBow or VBow Rng (as for Gun, I only used until 67. Not worth it after that due to wep delay, lack of Str mod on WS, etc.) I would suggest Vbow because (H)NMs at Eng game will resist most if not all of your status/holy bolts. That and the right Vbow setup is one of the hardest hitting in the game. Here we go:

Stats should be Str > R. Att > R. Acc > Agi for end game. DO NOT FORGET THAT STR GIVES YOU R. ATT AS WELL AS A MOD. ALSO REMEMBER: Don't Sacrifice too much R. Acc/Agi or you will have probs landing attacks and WS. Find what food you like and make sure to keep extra R. Acc equipment on you to swap in if you have a hard time hitting.

For Sub, /Nin for endurance fights and /War or /Sam for Zerg kills. You'll get more of a damage boost with /War, slightly higher survivability with /Sam. (Note, people who say /thf need to be shot, period dot.)

Weapons: Vulcan Staff w/ Axe Grip (/War and /Sam), Kriegsbeil+Fransica (/Nin)

Ranged: E/VBow (Uncapped damage, Str/Agi WS mods)

Head: O.Hat [Zha'Go's Barbut if your lucky](TP), Wyvern Helm(WS)

Body: Kirin's Osode (+10 to two WS mods, +5 R. acc and +5 R. att. You won't find that kind of balance on any body piece.)

Hands: Seiryu's Kote (TP), Crimson F. Gauntlets [Skadi hands if lucky](WS) AF+1 for Barrage mod.

Legs: AF2, P. Serhweels, W/E you want. The diff in R. Acc is minimal. P. Serhweels have +3 Str for WS Mod. Personally, I like the balance of Skadi Chausses for the R. Acc and R. Att (if you can get more than one stat increase, take it) WLegs are a toy, only needed if yer kiting.

Feet: AF2 or AF2+1. These are the best end game boots for Rng.

Back: Amemet+1

Waist: Bucaneers Belt or AF2 Belt, your choice. I would say AF2 because of not only the mod and R. Acc, but the R. Att.

Earring: Triumph on both. If /Nin though, Triump on one and Genin on other.

Rings: Raja's Ring and Behemoth Ring. Bellona's Ring would be nice, just gotta kill AV.

Neck: Qiqirn Collar or Hope Torque, your choice.

As for Agi Mod vs. R. Att, look above at the importance progression. The Agi will give you a very slight bit more accuracy with the WS, but the R. Att will have greater affect on the damage.
 Ifrit.Kalix
Server: Ifrit
user: Tokitung
By Ifrit.Kalix 2009-01-06 09:09:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Wooooodum said:
Why you'd use Haidate on Ranger I don't know, they give nothing for the job unless you're meleeing for TP (which you should only be doing if you have a Kraken Club).

B. Haidate's use to be a standard for Rng's way back before all the updates to ranged attacking, institution of velocity shot, etc.

Rng use to be an upfront melee at all times. While the +haste doesn't affect Ranged attacks and the +Dex does little for our crappy x1.5 crit damage, it would help make Rng a God TP wise dual wielding. Toss in a K. Club and a Ridill and there was a reason Rng was the ultimate King Kong of DDs back in the day.

As for now days, B. Haidates are useless to Rng IMO.
 Unicorn.Vxsote
Server: Unicorn
user: VxSote
By Unicorn.Vxsote 2009-01-13 13:15:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Sovereign said:

~ Denali jacket/Kirin's Osode. Denali for TP, Osode for weaponskills. You should have both anyway.

No. Osode is better for both TP and WS. Use it, period.