FFXI Translator, Does It Exist?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » FFXI Translator, does it exist?
FFXI Translator, does it exist?
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-05-26 11:30:20
Link | Quote | Reply

OK. So. Once upon a time, i had app. One of my absolute favorite app features was a translator that would give you an automatic translation of all Japanese into English, and translate anything you said into Japanese. Admittedly, it was somewhat gobbledegook, but it was miles better than nothing.

I made some JP friends using it, and got into a JP social LS. They were really nice dudes. It was all hunky-dory until one day SE served Maury with a cease and desist, and I had several JPs on my FL that i couldn't talk to anymore. A few of them still send me the occasional tell full of magic squigglies, and it kinda sucks when i can't reply back in any meaningful way.

I've looked for a few free ffxi translators, but when i tried downloading them, i got antivirus warnings instead of translators.

I guess what i'm really asking in a longwinded manner is, does anyone know of a free or reasonably cheap jp/english translator for ffxi that isn't actually a keylogger?
[+]
 Kujata.Akeda
Server: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-05-26 11:34:00
Link | Quote | Reply

日本語は学びやすい。

Translators are full of lulz though.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-05-26 11:34:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Not trying to troll or anything, and if it seems that way, I apologize, but you'd think after 6 years of playing a game that's largely Japanese, people would take some time to learn some of the language. It's counterproductive to play a non-native game without really understanding any of the bulk of it.

Then again, so is having a Little Tokyo in San Francisco...
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-05-26 11:35:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Akeda said:
日本語は学びやすい.

i think that's probably a matter of opinion

Kujata.Akeda said:
Translators are full of lulz though.

that may be, but if it's understood by both parties that you're using a translator, and you use short sentences and consciously choose words that have the fewest possible meanings, both sides can communicate pretty effectively
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-05-26 11:36:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Enternius said:
Not trying to troll or anything, and if it seems that way, I apologize, but you'd think after 6 years of playing a game that's largely Japanese, people would take some time to learn some of the language. It's counterproductive to play a non-native game without really understanding any of the bulk of it.

Then again, so is having a Little Tokyo in San Francisco...

well, i've played for less than one year, and the game is nearing the end of its lifespan.
 Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph 2010-05-26 11:37:00
Link | Quote | Reply

There was one a few friends used that I just tried looking up. The site was closed. Hopefully someone here can give you it from their PC if they have it, since everyone I know that has used it has yet to be "hacked" or keylogged from a place that wasn't traceable back to a site.

Good luck, man.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-05-26 11:38:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph said:
There was one a few friends used that I just tried looking up. The site was closed. Hopefully someone here can give you it from their PC if they have it, since everyone I know that has used it has yet to be "hacked" or keylogged from a place that wasn't traceable back to a site.

Good luck, man.

appreciate it, hope someone comes along
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-05-27 08:09:20
Link | Quote | Reply

bump >_>
[+]
 Siren.Eagleeyes
Server: Siren
user: eagleeyes
By Siren.Eagleeyes 2010-05-27 08:48:38
Link | Quote | Reply

yes there is one on the windower forums but it's broken. there was also one from FFACE i think too
 Asura.Rinkydink
Server: Asura
user: rinkydink
By Asura.Rinkydink 2010-05-27 08:53:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Eagleeyes said:
yes there is one on the windower forums but it's broken. there was also one from FFACE i think too

yes little child i have sweets..

no you cant have them! lol
 Fenrir.Dramanue
Server: Fenrir
user: Dramanue
By Fenrir.Dramanue 2010-05-27 10:08:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, I did a bit of googly-moogly on my own and found that there's a plugin named Logmon (not sure if it's the one that they're saying does not work). When used together with a plugin-plugin named translator, it seems to do the trick for you, although the forums are stating that it may crash after a while since it uses Google's translating service.

Logmon:
http://forums.windower.net/topic/9215-ffxi-logmon/

LogMon Translator:
http://forums.windower.net/topic/9482-logmon-japanese-translation-plug-in/page__s__f916d6145f6b157ca2c70a96e51fe2c3
(the link is about halfway down the page as part of a rapidshare link)
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-05-27 11:21:51
Link | Quote | Reply

interesting, thanks Dramanue

i'm playing around with it to see if i can get it to work
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-05-27 11:32:00
Link | Quote | Reply

hmmm. It acts like it will work, then translates the japanese as a funny black box with lines inside

i appreciate the help though, and logmon seems like a pretty cool program for other purposes

that part about google blocking you after a while really sucks, i'm not even sure the app translator would work very long if i still had it