Forum » FFXI » NMs » Argus, is he real?
Argus, is he real?
 Kujata.Kenada
Server: Kujata
Game: FFXI
user: Kenada
By Kujata.Kenada 2010-02-04 07:25:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes I know he does exist. Just wanted to post a few findings. I've been camping LK for the past week with breaks when window is closed. I've gotten the ToD 6 times and killed Leech King 5 times. I have never seen him spawn once.

I've left the Protozoan alive in the hut. I've prayed to the almighty. I've ran backwards around the room counter-clockwise. I've boiled a rabbits foot in four leaf clover stew and still nothing...

Okay all kidding aside, I'm sure this is just a run of bad luck but does anyone have any ideas as to why Leech King appears to only want to do this little dance?
 Fairy.Vegetto
Server: Fairy
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-02-04 07:33:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I can say that protozoan has NEVER made a difference for me. I tried that theory very early on.

I camped 4-5 days per week for 2 rl months before I was done w/ that zone. My final score was
Leech King: 3/22
Argus: 1/4

I'd say they popped almost equally, too. I had a 3 week period where an HNM shell had 4 members and claimed virtually every Argus. I've had ppl who came in for their first time during the last hour of the window, outclaim me and go 1/1, ect. It was a nightmare.

Unless you're extremely lucky, you'd spend less time just farming the 2m and buying a pcc.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-04 07:41:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Vegetto said:
Unless you're extremely lucky, you'd spend less time just farming the 2m and buying a pcc.
Sadly this is often true about alot of these NMs with nice drops. Took me a full month to get 2 Trotters and that was with getting all but 2 spawns. But we had 2 maintenances and alot of early pops so that was over 30. Knew someone that was like 0/30+ on valis bow. Stuff is crazy

I'd say you'd also spend less time just lvling and farming seals then using them in the BCNM. Droprate is fairly good in there and it's only 40 seals.
 Siren.Temeraire
Server: Siren
user: Temeraire
By Siren.Temeraire 2010-02-04 07:46:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I had a friend go 2/2 on Peacock Amulet on back to back pops...I hate him.
 Ragnarok.Sunrider
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sunrider
By Ragnarok.Sunrider 2010-02-04 07:54:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, Argus is real alright. He appeared before me in a vision after a maintenance.

Now the Peacock amulet, that's the myth.
 Kujata.Argettio
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-02-04 07:54:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Fairy.Vegetto said:
Sadly this is often true about alot of these NMs with nice drops. Took me a full month to get 2 Trotters and that was with getting all but 2 spawns. But we had 2 maintenances and alot of early pops so that was over 30. Knew someone that was like 0/30 on valis bow. Stuff is crazy

I'd say you'd also spend less time just lvling and farming seals then using them in the BCNM. Droprate is fairly good in there and it's only 40 seals.

Personally I am 0/15 on PCC from the bcnm.

Out of all the runs I have done (3x15 = 45) I have never seen a PCC drop and only seen 1 Ni drop (not on my orb).

Asura.Misuto
Server: Asura
By Asura.Misuto 2010-02-04 07:57:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Wrote this for a similar thread quite a while ago.
-quote-
Did this thing for like 2 weeks straight for like 9-12hrs a day. At times I killed all the BLM goblins til they spawned as another job - then turned my volume up loud and napped til Blaze Spikes sound woke me up. Got Argus 2x this way, with Blaze Spikes waking me up.

I parked my RNG75/THF37 in the room with the two bats, in the back. At times when I was allowed during those weeks, I took my sister's 57WHM and parked it in the room with the protozoan.

After awhile, I started to go crazy and come up with some random, unfounded pop conditions. Once I got ToD, I believed Argus pops in 30min windows, whereas LK can pop anytime during the open window. The protozoan must be dead for Argus to spawn. I don't remember if this theory held true, but it made camping a little more bearable, just checking for 5min windows every 30min then taking a 20min nap. One of the spawns I ran my ranger to the Protozoan about 2min before 'ToD window' and killed it, then ran back to my room, where the hecteyes *** was just sittin there. No Drop then, but you have no idea how great it is to claim that thing after sitting for 8hrs doing nothing but listening to wind and bats flapping. I kept widescanning for LK and discreetly killing it when I saw it up, recording ToD, then going back to my room without the ppl who were also semi-afk also camping against me... without widescan.

The competition was poor at best, I lost claim 3 times during those two weeks, this JP or EU ninja botted the ***out of that thing 3 nights in a row and got drop on third night. That was unnerving. Otherwise, I got it every day/night. 1/6 argus 1/7 leech king on drops.

The above can all be disregarded as unfounded rantings by a sleep-deprived Amulet owner.
-/endquote-

Also made a note that if you decide to farm Nyzul Isle purely for Argus, it probably has the same appraise rate as the droprate on the BCNM or the droprate on the actual NM. I've seen two amulets appraised this way in my ffxi lifetime.
 Fairy.Vegetto
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-02-04 08:07:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Argus has a decent drop rate. I'm personally 1/4 and everyone I know is 1/1-3, a few 1/10ish, but nothing more extreme than that. I hear the appraise rate is just plain horrible.
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-04 08:12:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Appraise rates of items in general are horrible. I've only seen 3 items actually be what they were supposed to. Ironically all 3 were NMs we only fought once in all our farming and climbing. PCA, Spider torque, and spelunkers helm. Ironically even though my static was 4-5 people all 3 of those were won by the shout person. Everything else garbage and we frequently had a decent amount of extra left to go out purposefully looking for nms. Hell one night fought 5 simurghs in 4 runs.
 Kujata.Argettio
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-02-04 08:14:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Vegetto said:
Argus has a decent drop rate. I'm personally 1/4 and everyone I know is 1/1-3, a few 1/10ish, but nothing more extreme than that. I hear the appraise rate is just plain horrible.

I haven't farmed anything enough to have any statistical data, but during my climb in nyzul we had a ago at most of the NMs we encountered and the only 'real' drop we got was Cross counters.

So globally that's something like 1/20 on getting something useful from nyzul NMs.
 Gilgamesh.Tallulah
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Tallulah 2010-02-04 08:19:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Argettio said:
Fairy.Vegetto said:
I haven't farmed anything enough to have any statistical data, but during my climb in nyzul we had a ago at most of the NMs we encountered and the only 'real' drop we got was Cross counters. So globally that's something like 1/20 on getting something useful from nyzul NMs.

This seems fairly accurate. Over a long period of time my team go 3 empress hairpins (wtf?), 1 peacock amulet, and I believe we also got a few stupid things like Nightmare gloves. edit > also got a spelunkers hat <
Tbh, I'd rather try to find it in nyzul (appears quite often) then camp the NM.
I'd suggest the BCNM. Easiest way in my opinion unless you are really lucky to come across the NM randomly.
 Pandemonium.Nadul
Server: Pandemonium
user: Nadul
By Pandemonium.Nadul 2010-02-19 00:02:11
Link | Quote | Reply

0/3 stopped camping

LK never popped when I was down there, interestingly enough.
 Siren.Eagleeyes
user: eagleeyes
By Siren.Eagleeyes 2010-02-19 00:05:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I gave up after the ninth Leech King in a row.
 Cerberus.Quipto
Server: Cerberus
user: Quipto
By Cerberus.Quipto 2010-02-19 00:10:38
Link | Quote | Reply

idk what youre talking about. Argus has been standing in Port Bastok for as long as i can remember :\
[+]
 Seraph.Yuzuchan
Server: Seraph
user: Yuzuchan
By Seraph.Yuzuchan 2010-02-19 00:11:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Argus is as real as a Hagun dropping from the ENM I says D:
 Ramuh.Mairah
user: Mairah
By Ramuh.Mairah 2010-02-19 00:17:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I camped it with Tousou, and it took me 11 days of straight camping to get the drop, being present for every pop, and 20 days for Tou to get the drop. LK seems to pop a little more often than Argus, but its pretty even. We did get a lot of LKs in a row though. I don't think there are any conditions to make him pop, its just one or the other.

We claimed every LK pop except for 2, and we claimed most of the Argus pops except for maybe three or so.

Its a pain in the *** but it really depends on what is more important to you, time or gil.
 Bahamut.Stanflame
Server: Bahamut
user: Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-02-19 00:19:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes he is real, and I never camped him because he sucks so much.
 Fairy.Vytiss
user: Vytiss
By Fairy.Vytiss 2010-02-19 00:23:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Yuzuchan said:
Argus is as real as a Hagun dropping from the ENM I says D:
i once got 2 haguns from 1 chest
i still have yet to get drop from argus
 Siren.Eclipsys
user: Eclipsys
By Siren.Eclipsys 2010-02-19 00:31:57
Link | Quote | Reply

That was a fun NM to camp. Except it sucked.

Camped it for about 10 days. Protozoan never made a difference, that's a lie. It's all timed and doesn't make a difference what mob is where, that's a terrible "wives tale". I heard that with Quu Domi, too. The time is all over the place on when it pops. It pops when it pops, there's probably no windows either, or if there are, they are obscure.

As for drop rate, 1/2. Missed claim like 3 times. Almost always an unlucky spawn, sucked. Also, it pretty much abided by a LK one day, Argus the next--evened itself out, but I've heard some strange stories about it being LK 3 days in a row or something. Definitely have to dedicate a lot of time to the NM, not feeling up to that, not worth camping. Happy hunting.
 Siren.Jingles
user: Jingles
By Siren.Jingles 2010-02-19 00:35:00
Link | Quote | Reply

1/1, no TOD, camped for a couple hours without any competition. Popped in the corner near the bats, claimed without a bot. Got full drops. :D
 Siren.Eagleeyes
user: eagleeyes
By Siren.Eagleeyes 2010-02-19 00:36:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Eclipsys said:
That was a fun NM to camp. Except it sucked.

Camped it for about 10 days. Protozoan never made a difference, that's a lie. It's all timed and doesn't make a difference what mob is where, that's a terrible "wives tale". I heard that with Quu Domi, too. The time is all over the place on when it pops. It pops when it pops, there's probably no windows either, or if there are, they are obscure.

As for drop rate, 1/2. Missed claim like 3 times. Almost always an unlucky spawn, sucked. Also, it pretty much abided by a LK one day, Argus the next--evened itself out, but I've heard some strange stories about it being LK 3 days in a row or something. Definitely have to dedicate a lot of time to the NM, not feeling up to that, not worth camping. Happy hunting.
Siren.Jingles said:
1/1, no TOD, camped for a couple hours without any competition. Popped in the corner near the bats, claimed without a bot. Got full drops. :D

I miss you two D: waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
 Asura.Israfel
user: Tmuler
By Asura.Israfel 2010-02-19 00:36:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Argus exists! He sits in Port Bastok mocking adventurers... .. . x_x
 Garuda.Feifongwong
Server: Garuda
By Garuda.Feifongwong 2010-02-19 00:37:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, Argus is in Port Bastok, near the zone to North Gustaberg.
 Garuda.Feifongwong
By Garuda.Feifongwong 2010-02-19 00:37:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Israfel said:

aw beat me to it
By Garuda.Fivestarplayer 2010-02-19 00:49:48
Link | Quote | Reply

HE EXISTS! I didn't believe it....1/1 :)
 Cerberus.Quipto
Server: Cerberus
user: Quipto
By Cerberus.Quipto 2010-02-19 00:49:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Feifongwong said:
Asura.Israfel said:
aw beat me to it
i beat both of you >.> but anyway, it took me about 5 days of camping for him to finally pop. went 1/3 LK and 1/1 Argus in that time. GL to anyone camping ^^

edit: i was also only 63 whm at the time with absoutley NO jobs that could use it, lol. even now, it only gets used when i solo whm/nin LOL.
 Garuda.Feifongwong
By Garuda.Feifongwong 2010-02-19 00:59:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Quipto said:
Garuda.Feifongwong said:
Asura.Israfel said:
aw beat me to it
i beat both of you >.> but anyway, it took me about 5 days of camping for him to finally pop. went 1/3 LK and 1/1 Argus in that time. GL to anyone camping ^^

edit: i was also only 63 whm at the time with absoutley NO jobs that could use it, lol. even now, it only gets used when i solo whm/nin LOL.

so you did good sir! you have won:
 Asura.Israfel
user: Tmuler
By Asura.Israfel 2010-02-19 01:04:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Darn you, speedy Quipto!! <shakes fist> D:<
 Titan.Marzbarz
Server: Titan
user: MarzBarz
By Titan.Marzbarz 2010-02-19 01:11:24
Link | Quote | Reply

NO HE'S NOT REAL >.<
 Fairy.Tedwardian
By Fairy.Tedwardian 2010-02-19 01:23:35
Link | Quote | Reply

i'm one of those *** who went 1/1
camped till i crashed while staying logged in for hopes of a rough ToD.
went to work the next day,
got home still logged in and got claim/drop 15min after sitting down. gl