So What Is There To Do?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Servers » Asura » so what is there to do?
so what is there to do?
First Page 2
 Asura.Creole
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Creole
By Asura.Creole 2023-02-07 16:33:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Besides the spam still being around, what is the norm these days for returning players?
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2023-02-07 20:34:32
Link | Quote | Reply

As far as I can tell the norm for a returning player is:

If you're starting fresh from level 1, focus on doing Rhapsodies of Vana'diel and getting to 99 asap. Get welfare i119 gear from Adoulin's Peacekeeper's Coalition. Fully merit, get up to 100 JP for Su2 gear from the AH, and then run Ambuscade for Ambuscade gear.

Focus on getting a Master job after that. Then do Voracious Resurgence.

If you're starting from a character that was left at a certain progress point in days of yore:

Depending on what era you left it at, ignore that era entirely and progress to 99 and item level gear as stipulated above.

Do any storylines you've missed out on, but be sure to prioritize Rhapsodies (it gets you KIs that increase skill up gains/EXP gains etc).
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-02-07 21:00:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Creole said: »
Besides the spam still being around, what is the norm these days for returning players?

playing for a couple days and then quitting again
[+]
By Draylo 2023-02-07 22:29:40
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Siren.Bruno
Server: Siren
user: BruHouse
By Siren.Bruno 2023-02-07 22:34:16
Link | Quote | Reply

have a blast doing the Crawlers' Nest map quest
[+]
By Rips 2023-02-07 23:54:42
Link | Quote | Reply

From scratch:

Pick a nation, race and job. Unlock trusts / mount / warps. Get to 99 ASAP with your subjob capped as well (unlock subjob through RoV.)

Cap merits. Pay for 2100 master job points. Pay for ambu gear, ambu capes. Run through shoel A,B,C. Get moglophone 2. Pay for nyame KI and gear. Pay for a pulse weapon and pay for some more ambu to get a Naegling with that pulse weapon.

Finish RoV. Start enhancing yourself with JSE gear / Rema. Pay real life money to have the Gil for rema. Finish fast and have nothing to do.

Let’s just get real now.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2023-02-08 05:54:11
Link | Quote | Reply

There is nothing to do at all, please do not come back.

We all here want the game to die asap, so we can then find a private server to move to and then complain on that too.
[+]
 Odin.Senaki
Server: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2023-02-08 06:08:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Prior to my sub ending I was doing Omen, Dyna-D, Ambuscade, Ody C, and Ody NMs with returning players.
[+]
 Asura.Creole
user: Creole
By Asura.Creole 2023-02-08 21:22:33
Link | Quote | Reply

returning to quit a month later sounds like the proper ffxi thing to do
[+]
By Rips 2023-02-08 21:44:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Creole said: »
returning to quit a month later sounds like the proper ffxi thing to do

That’s more of a FFXIV thing.
[+]
By Draylo 2023-02-08 21:59:13
Link | Quote | Reply

The most important thing is to find a group of people and don't fall into the multi boxing trap. It seems like a great thing at first but you'll complete things too fast and get bored. You really just have to take it slow and enjoy it as much as you can. Theres still plenty to do, plenty of ways to grow your character and progress, plenty of min/maxing. Literally everything FFXI has been known for and always had, is still there. There is no "FOMO", no need to rush to complete things.
[+]
By Rips 2023-02-09 00:42:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
The most important thing is to find a group of people and don't fall into the multi boxing trap. It seems like a great thing at first but you'll complete things too fast and get bored. You really just have to take it slow and enjoy it as much as you can. Theres still plenty to do, plenty of ways to grow your character and progress, plenty of min/maxing. Literally everything FFXI has been known for and always had, is still there. There is no "FOMO", no need to rush to complete things.

Agreed. I fell into the multiboxing trap. It became a chore and a drag. One day (recently) I noticed the fun was gone. I didn't do events with my LS because I could do them myself. It also felt like a job - a constant wheel to finish and top off your gear.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Seun 2023-02-09 01:52:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Stayfresh said: »
I like multi boxing so I can do *** when I’m alone that I'm not good enough to do alone

Fix'd.

Sorry, but there's really no good excuse to MB in any MMO. Let's just call it what it is.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bismarck.Xurion
Server: Bismarck
user: Xurion
By Bismarck.Xurion 2023-02-09 08:09:24
Link | Quote | Reply

You don't need excuses when you have reasons to MB. Delve has a min. 3 requirement and you can't reasonably expect 3+ people to join for that content.

If it makes you feel better having 2x real people gaining you access and then they warp out as soon as you're in, you need to ask yourself why you're even setting yourself these rules. Some people have an actual life and trying to draw these arbitrary rule lines in the sand make no sense to me when we have other things to do, that I'd go so far to assume the majority of people who are against MB are just unable to justify the additional cost, or simply unwilling to learn how.

Just let people do what they want in a damn 20 year old game.
[+]
 Bahamut.Radda
Server: Bahamut
user: radda
By Bahamut.Radda 2023-02-09 10:10:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Seun said: »
I like multi boxing so I can do *** when I’m alone that I'm not good enough to do alone

Fix'd.

Sorry, but there's really no good excuse to MB in any MMO. Let's just call it what it is.

One of my favorite things about MB'ing is the fact that it annoys people like you. :)
[+]
By Draylo 2023-02-09 10:40:24
Link | Quote | Reply

There is no denying its been an overall detriment to the game. People can do whatever they want of course, but for the games long term health its probably not advisable to recommend people multi box over making friends. Just feeding more into the isolationist community that has been festering for a while now. The reality is, people don't team up when they don't have to and we see the effects from that. Surely two other people need Delve due to the monthly ROE, but now two people who don't multibox aren't going to complete it as easily. It was a pandoras box that was fed by addons and bots to make it super easy to play alone. Just hurts the game long term, in my opinion.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Draylo 2023-02-09 10:48:33
Link | Quote | Reply

You don't even need linkshells these days. You just need to find two to three real people and can probably do everything in the game, considering most multi box now. If you can't even find one or two people who are sane and not as you describe, doesn't that in itself show how bad its gotten w/multi boxing? I find it hard to believe really, that at the least two people don't exist to do things with lol.

Post deleted by User.
By Draylo 2023-02-09 10:55:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean, you're playing an online game.. so. You came into the convo when it was suggested to take it slow and try to steer from multiboxing and came to support it. Do you think if everyone thought like you that we would even have a game to play? Sometimes as we get lower and lower in population, people really don't understand the effects something like a community can have on an old game like this. But surely you wouldn't give a ***if the game closed tomorrow, but maybe some people do so I don't get why you oppose people suggesting to team up for others/returning players.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-02-09 11:02:19
Link | Quote | Reply

You don’t seem to understand that I don’t want to rely on other people.

I try to use ffxi for a distraction from real life. Not to make it more like real life. I’m not going to force myself to play with one *** just to play with other people.

It seems like you're also not getting what he's saying at all. He's not suggesting that you should join a linkshell and be beholden to their event schedule so you can run 6-man events.

I think Draylo's point is that the fact that a large percentage of the people playing the game are 3-boxing is the reason nobody can find anyone to do events with, like Delve for example. If 80% of the population would play a single character instead of 3-6, there would be more people looking to do Delve with other humans, thus making it easier to find two other people to go into the event with.

Let's say hypothetically you don't think you are an ***, like the people you don't like. And let's say there's another person like you on your server who is looking to do Delve. That person could use you, a non-***, to do Delve with. But you are doing it with your friends' characters instead, so they don't have anyone to go with. Now they multi-box and ANOTHER non-*** is taken out of the pool of people to do Delve with. Rinse and repeat.
[+]
 Bismarck.Xurion
Server: Bismarck
user: Xurion
By Bismarck.Xurion 2023-02-09 11:18:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you think if everyone thought like you that we would even have a game to play?
If a "large percentage" of people MB, I'd say having these people terminate their secondary and tertiary accounts would risk and damage the game more considering subscription drops.

As for the point around being able to find others who need to achieve the same things, please consider that not all servers are as populated as Asura and shouting for potential people can become the time sink that kills your limited play time.

My earlier example was regarding Delve Fracture. The monthly objective is soloable via any Delve pop AFAIK.
By Dodik 2023-02-09 11:19:05
Link | Quote | Reply

its probably not advisable to recommend people multi box over making friends

I don't see how the two are mutually exclusive.

Several LS friends drop their alts at the drop of a hat so they can join a group forming for whatever purpose. Yes, friends.
[+]
 Fenrir.Richybear
Server: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2023-02-09 11:27:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Xurion said: »

My earlier example was regarding Delve Fracture. The monthly objective is soloable via any Delve pop AFAIK.

You can just eat the shards and beads or pop the ones outside and still get credit. Just gotta gain 2000 plasm.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-02-09 11:39:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's not get sidetracked trying to figure out the particulars of Delve, you can easily do the monthly objective outside, but maybe you're after the crafting items, the Chaac Belt, or want Plasm for a weapon.

Or think of a different event, like teaming up for an HTBF to take on VD instead of spamming VE, or doing more difficult Ambu, or any other small event.

Plenty of people 6-box these things with their bots, and if they didn't then there would be a pugging community.

You might say that the populations aren't large enough to support pugging this stuff, and that's why everyone 6-boxes it with their mules, or 3-boxes it with their one friend who is also 3-boxing.

Kind of a chicken-and-egg situation, but there's certainly some correlation here if not causation.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-02-09 11:47:02
Link | Quote | Reply

It's feedback loop. It's true.

All positives, no negatives, creates more multi's and less available players. Spiraled out of control.

If you don't care and/or enjoy playing with yourself (giggity) that's fine, but it's undeniable the state of things because of it.

Ironic the self sabotage. Everyone grows more and more terrible and thus rely on more multiboxing, thus becoming worse. You don't get better dividing your attention. You just automate more and complain more and make yourself bitter.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sahzi
Server: Lakshmi
user: sahzi
By Lakshmi.Sahzi 2023-02-09 12:15:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Ahh, the multi-box debate....
As a 100% vanilla single box player with over 20 remas, trust me...you don't need to run away from the player community to get things done.

Find 2 good players to befriend, 5 if you're lucky and pluck away. Gil? You can earn 500k solo in 30 minutes, 800k in 30m with a team.

And jump into goofball pickup groups with @$$ players. I have no idea why people get so bent up about dying/failing/learning these days. Mass wipes in dyna were as hilarious in 2005 as they are now.

Moreso if it's due to your best MNK getting charmed and slapping an entire alliance to death.
[+]
By fillerbunny9 2023-02-09 13:39:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sahzi said: »
Ahh, the multi-box debate....
As a 100% vanilla single box player with over 20 remas, trust me...you don't need to run away from the player community to get things done.

Find 2 good players to befriend, 5 if you're lucky and pluck away. Gil? You can earn 500k solo in 30 minutes, 800k in 30m with a team.

And jump into goofball pickup groups with @$$ players. I have no idea why people get so bent up about dying/failing/learning these days. Mass wipes in dyna were as hilarious in 2005 as they are now.

Moreso if it's due to your best MNK getting charmed and slapping an entire alliance to death.
I can and most certainly have saved Leaden Salute to pop someone stupid enough to not hold WS on BST mobs in Divergence.
[+]
First Page 2