Hardest Boss In Video Games History (FFUnion Vid)

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Hardest Boss In Video Games History (FFUnion Vid)
Hardest Boss In Video Games History (FFUnion Vid)
By RadialArcana 2022-08-09 11:19:27
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
By Nariont 2022-08-09 11:59:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Vague hinting of mechanics, nerfing the one(that i know of) strategy that worked and wasnt a exploit(SE zerg), and any exploit being removed goes a long way for "hardest boss"
 Cerberus.Balloon
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
By Cerberus.Balloon 2022-08-09 12:19:22
Link | Quote | Reply

It's interesting to think how AV would have been different if they had a visual stagger system in place.

Surely, at some point, you'd have the coincidence of someone using, say, Benediction shortly after his benediction. If there was a visual stagger it might have been much more understandable.

Some of the mechanics were bloody mental though. And looking on an old BG post, the mechanic was known and it still wasn't beaten.
 Asura.Geriond
Server: Asura
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2022-08-09 14:42:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbe timing required to lock out the SPs was tight enough that the additional latency caused by playing outside of Japan effectively made it impossible. With current packet or chat log-based automation tools it would have been doable, but not with what was commonly available back then.
[+]
 Valefor.Yandaime
Server: Valefor
user: Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2022-08-09 15:04:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Geriond said: »
The timing required to lock out the SPs was tight enough that the additional latency caused by playing outside of Japan effectively made it impossible. With current packet or chat log-based automation tools it would have been doable, but not with what was commonly available back then.

Agreed. Latency buggers up only a handful of things in FFXI but the gimmicks of that fight were definitely one of them. Had some Not-So-Fond memories of that that *** lol.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2022-08-09 15:21:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I think Tim Rogers pretty convincingly argued it's Shiori Fujisaki.
By Starbucks 2022-08-09 15:50:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Why wasn't React possible then?
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2022-08-09 15:54:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Nobody had written it then. It was certainly possible, but nobody even knew the issue was reaction time. SE came back much later to say how it worked, and somewhere along the lines we realized that it was effectively just impossible because they were testing on 0 latency and we were playing live servers. So, there was a lot of discussion on why locking wasn't really working, and the only way it could be done successfully without bots was to go on animation(because log trailed so far).
By Starbucks 2022-08-09 15:55:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
Nobody had written it then. It was certainly possible, but nobody even knew the issue was reaction time. SE came back much later to say how it worked, and somewhere along the lines we realized that it was effectively just impossible because they were testing on 0 latency and we were playing live servers.
Why had noone written it back then? Can't think of anything it would be particularly useful for before stun botting Delve I suppose.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-08-09 16:01:52
Link | Quote | Reply

It just wasn't super important. Game was slower, there wasn't really PDT or MDT gear to react into. Anything that "needed" stun was CSS'd.

You don't make react when there really isn't anything to react to. Necessity breeds invention much faster than convenience.
[+]
By Starbucks 2022-08-09 16:40:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm trying to think, there must have been some things.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-08-09 16:44:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean, you could always make a case for Meteor, Charm, any big aga spell, mijin, astral flow

But all you had to react into was bomb queen ring and maybe some MDB lol (coral earrings lol?)
By Starbucks 2022-08-09 16:45:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
I mean, you could always make a case for Meteor, Charm, any big aga spell, mijin, astral flow

But all you had to react into was bomb queen ring and maybe some MDB lol
You're forgetting turning too?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-08-09 16:47:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Only really tauri gazes and thats only really one mission in cop

Hecteyes, Hakutaku, (under observation bc!) Actually would've been nice to turn lizard petrify gaze

React > Goblin Bomb Toss - Lullaby
(Ghetto stun)I did that a lot manually, would've been a nice thing to have.
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2022-08-09 17:20:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think it's really a matter of whether it was useful, some of the earlier 3rd party apps had onevent and you could use that to stun or whatever(with the limitation that you had to either keep the mob targeted or use <bt> and only have one mob claimed). But, windower devs were pretty tight knit and randoms weren't allowed to use their APIs to make tools, react would have 100% been considered a bot as well. The amount of effort to write a packet based react equivalent from scratch is easily thousands of times more back then than it is to write it using all the premade APIs and available knowledge now.
[+]