RIP PS3, PSP, & Vita Digital Store/games.

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » RIP PS3, PSP, & Vita digital store/games.
RIP PS3, PSP, & Vita digital store/games.
By Jetackuu 2021-04-19 22:26:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Their executives appear to be incredibly out of touch
I'm going to need a bigger chart.

That being said: the biggest upkeep would likely be keeping security patches going, and upkeeping compatibility. Storage is cheap, so.
[+]
By Thunderjet 2021-04-20 04:41:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Freehugs said: »
Welp, Time to hack the ps3 like I did my vita. Can't really say I used the store much anyway these past few years. the ps3 itself plays ps1 games on disc so I never needed to buy SE games again.
HOW

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Aeonova
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-04-20 21:41:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Hevans said: »
hahahaha. i like to imagine how many people rushed and bought stuff just for them to change their mind. i hope they do it again a year from now just to make money.

It's a conspiracy! They're using sneaky tricks so sneaky-sneak their way into your bank accounts and get your loot! Why would a company want to do this though?

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Bahamut.Inspectorgadget
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Inspectorgadget 2021-04-21 05:51:41
Link | Quote | Reply

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1384190396255801344
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-04-21 10:46:55
Link | Quote | Reply

*** Jim Ryan. Seriously. He dislikes old games and shouldn't have the position he holds.

“When we’ve dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much,” says Ryan. “That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?”

"why would anybody play this?"

Okay FFXIAH people. Just start thinking about some PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP, PSVita games you can think of that are legendary even if they aren't cutting edge. Actually, I think someone posted a list on the previous page.

Freehugs said: »
So I decided to make a list of all the Classic RPGs on the PSN store. there will be some that are action oriented and not turn based but I will put a * beside those! I hope this helps someone or gives you guys something new to play~ (Also not adding Final Fantasy games cause, c'mon, you already know about those)

PS1 games
PS3 (Ps2 Classics)
PSP Games
If I overlooked any, I apologize! This isn't a definitive list of every game on the system. Always check and see if the games have had rereleases on PC or another console before you buy! (and maybe the reviews too)

That quote from Jim Ryan is found here:
Note: You have a limited number of free views for the 'Time' website, but seriously... who is gonna use them all up? In any case, here is the url I am pulling this from and below in the spoiler will be the full thing quoted directly:
https://time.com/4804768/playstation-4-ps4-pro-psvr-sales/
Note: Jim Ryan (at the time of this 2017 interview) was Sony global sales chief.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Server: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-04-21 10:51:29
Link | Quote | Reply

It really is sad to see people in the business of video games with absolutely no clue as to what makes a video game good.

I don't really keep up with gaming news like I did back in high school. Do companies still use the word "immersive" to describe "good graphics"? That always really irritated me. Often the shiniest graphics lend themselves to the lowest immersion.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-04-21 11:01:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, the progression from 2D to 3D games kind of showed me that an immersive world didn't just mean that you can look around everywhere. We've been doing that for ages. Brings to mind PS1's 'Castlevania: Symphony of the Night' VS Nintendo64's 'Castlevania 64'. First is 2D. Second one is 3D. Just because one is more "immersive" doesn't make it better.

I understand that obviously they want to not openly say "we want people to buy the new stuff and not sit around playing the old stuff".

I did think back to the Sony PS2 and when I was hearing about it before it came out. It was going to be backwards compatible. That was HUGE then. I think they only thing that had done it before was the GBA (or maybe the GBA came out at the same time) or through secondary devices. Needing a 'SuperGameBoy' to plug your GB games in to play them on your SNES.

Jesus, I'm old.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Server: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-04-21 11:16:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Aeonova said: »
First is 2D. Second one is 3D. Just because one is more "immersive" doesn't make it better.
See, but that's the thing. Fancy graphics have never actually added to immersion before. Publishers just use it as a buzz-word because they think a fictional medium that's closer to reality is easier to lose yourself in. But it's not. Things like consistency, depth, and proper pacing work far better.

Honestly, most 2D games are more immersive because they rely more on substance than style.

lol remember a couple of generations ago when they tried to push motion controls on everything, claiming it would add to immersion? Because nothing helps you escape reality like being persistently aware of your surroundings so you don't trip on your couch or punch your china cabinet.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-04-21 12:18:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't want to put my tinfoil hat on, but all of that motion capture technology that was added to TVs for gaming (like kinect) was just an excuse to put cameras in every TV as a "feature". Which is a better sales point: 1. It has a camera watching you 24/7 which can be remotely accessed without any indication that it's on. 2. It comes with Kinect!

Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
Because nothing helps you escape reality like being persistently aware of your surroundings so you don't trip on your couch or punch your china cabinet.

Spoken like someone that has never punched furniture for fun. *glares at furniture* *furniture glares back*
[+]