RIP PS3, PSP, & Vita Digital Store/games.

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » RIP PS3, PSP, & Vita digital store/games.
RIP PS3, PSP, & Vita digital store/games.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2021-04-05 15:37:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget said: »
So... decided to go back through the Vita store and pick up any gems I might have missed before it goes offline. I grabbed Suikoden 1/2, Legend of Dragoon, Xenogears, Wild Arms 1/2, Vagrant Story, Breath of Fire III/IV, Grandia, and Tactics Ogre.

Any other recommendations I may have missed?

If you're a final fantasy fan (:P), V and VI PSP ports are supposed to be the best ones. You don't want to get the horrible mobile ports on steam or what not.. :P
 Asura.Aeonova
Server: Asura
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-04-05 16:10:53
Link | Quote | Reply

There is no PSP version of FF 5 and 6.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-04-05 16:14:29
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-04-05 16:32:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sure you can get an eboot of the PS1 versions on PSPs with custom firmware, but those are just really bad. Personally, the best way to play FFV and FFVI are 'Final Fantasy V Advance' and 'Final Fantasy VI Advance' on Gameboy Advance with fanmade patches applied. This will correct the color saturation, poor GBA soundcard audio, and various bugs. If you manually apply bug-fix patches, you can retain some bugs that don't bother you (or you enjoy exploiting).

Final Fantasy VI patch library:
https://www.ff6hacking.com/wiki/doku.php?id=ff6a:patches

The FFVA has fewer patches, but there is a sound patch out there if you care. With all of VisualBoyAdvance's graphics filters, you can make it look pretty w/o patches.
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/563/

As far as the windows versions of FFV and FFVI (which are ports of the mobile touchscreen iPad games), they really did muck up the HUD/menu/interface, but the graphics are beautiful so you need to find fanmade mods for those PC versions that fixed them up a bit. Your mileage may vary.
YouTube Video Placeholder

Much like FFV and FFVI iPad/tablet ports being underwhelmingly received, even FFVII Remake is a tough pill to swallow for some. Thankfully, I've already made up a post about how to get a more authentic FFVII PC "remake" experience with custom fan mods. I wrote all of that up here:
https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/55377/7th-heaven-ffvii-pc-launcher-w-1-click-hd-mods/
You can really get FFVII PC looking slick.

For all of the flaws of the remakes/remasters/ports/custommods, it doesn't take away from the fact that the originals exist. It sucks that there are so many hoops that you need to go through to get them working their best, but such is life.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-04-05 17:52:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Yep. First things at the top of the first page I linked.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget 2021-04-05 18:39:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Grabbed every FF 1-10 on my vita, and Chrono Trigger. Already had Alundra.

Well, all except the PS1 classic version of FFT since I already have the War of the Lions version. I feel kind of dedicated to filling out my library since I invested in a 128GB memory card for it and now they are closing the store.

I need to make use of this space!!
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-04-05 18:49:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to play a MMO called Rappelz briefly and recently learned that in the middle of last year, the game was sold to another company that reset the servers and I missed out on carrying over my legacy characters because I wasn't checking in often. (It wasn't really that great of a game, but I had a few rare things and it was nice to pick up and play randomly).

So basically I recently felt the sting of losing out on something digital because I didn't keep up with all of the news so this thread was me trying to let others know, in a small way, so they didn't miss out on something they may not keep up with. Who looks up PSP / PS Store news that often?
 Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget
By Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget 2021-04-05 18:56:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Freehugs said: »

Well, all except the PS1 classic version of FFT since I already have the War of the Lions version. I feel kind of dedicated to filling out my library since I invested in a 128GB memory card for it and now they are closing the store.

Get Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together and Vagrant Story too!
..and Legend of Dragoon and Chrono Cross

I have Legend of Dragoon, Tactics: Ogre, and Vagrant Story. GOnna grab Chrono Trigger as soon as my bank stops wigging out lol.... apparently buying like 10 cheap games in a row from a reputable game store is suspicious lol so i gotta wait until tomorrow to buy more.

I didn't see Chrono Cross on the list, but maybe I missed it.
By Draylo 2021-04-05 18:58:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Just hack it for CFW? I don't see a reason not to if the company is going to close their own store.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget
By Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget 2021-04-05 19:03:23
Link | Quote | Reply

CFW?

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-04-05 19:17:33
Link | Quote | Reply

See my first post of this thread:

Bismarck.Rosalee
Server: Bismarck
user: Rosamimi
By Bismarck.Rosalee 2021-04-05 22:39:08
Link | Quote | Reply

._.; I went and bought Crystal Defenders and FFIII on my PSP. I know the JP version of III also had English subtitles, but meh?

I don't really know if I want to get the PS One classics since I have the PS1 versions of all those games...
 Bismarck.Firedemon
Server: Bismarck
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2021-04-05 22:57:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Rosalee said: »
I don't really know if I want to get the PS One classics since I have the PS1 versions of all those games...

The portability is what sold me. Being able to play FF 6/7/9, Chrono Trigger, Legend of Dragoon, etc on my PSP is awesome.
[+]
By fillerbunny9 2021-04-05 23:26:57
Link | Quote | Reply

custom firmware is definitely the way to go at this point. I just slapped it on my Vita a month ago, took all the physical PSP games I wanted to put on there (and was never given a legit "upgrade" path for) and threw them on the stick. you can even load a microSD up to 256 GB via an adapter in the cart slot for it now.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Valefor.Esdain
Server: Valefor
user: esdain
By Valefor.Esdain 2021-04-05 23:58:19
Link | Quote | Reply

You know it, poet.
By fillerbunny9 2021-04-06 01:07:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Suikoden avatars unite!
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2021-04-06 02:29:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Firedemon said: »
Chrono Trigger for portability if that's your thing.

For those who have a DS/3DS, the DS version of Chrono Trigger is the MUCH better portable way to play the game (PS port has very obnoxious load times), and arguably the best way to play the game period. Now, if you want Chrono CROSS on portable... get that PSN version yup yup. And just to stir the pot with an unpopular opinion, Cross > Trigger.

A handful of other recommendations:
- If you're like me and don't like playing RPGs on PC/Steam, Falcom's PSP games are first rate. Ys: The Oath in Felghana, Ys VII, Trails in the Sky 1-2 (but yeah, Trails 3rd only got an official English release on Steam so deal with it).

- Was just talking with a friend today about the PSX Arc the Lad trilogy. Arc the Lad 2 is the star of the series, but you should absolutely play 1 & 2 together as they are a single story (1 is very short and easy, it's almost like a 15 hour pre-credits/prologue to the main event of 50+ hours of Arc 2). Arc 3 is fine too, but 2 is the high point of the series.

- DINO CRISIS! DINO CRISIS 2!

- I've always had a soft spot for Wild Arms 1 and 2, well worth the $5.99 PSN price. I can't get enough of the beginning segments with each party member having their own story as they come together (a la Dragon Quest IV). Great music too.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2021-04-06 13:37:10
Link | Quote | Reply

PS1 games

Thanks for listing these!

One to add to your PS1 list: The Misadventures of Tron Bonne (spinoff of the Mega Man Legends series). Price of the disc copy is insane - like, over $500-$600 for a used copy complete with box/manual (not uncommon to see people selling for $1000+) - so if you have ANY interest at all, don't neglect that PSN pickup for $5.99.
[+]
By fillerbunny9 2021-04-06 14:46:29
Link | Quote | Reply

christ, that is up that high these days? it was a $30 title at launch iirc. it's pretty different from Legends 1 and 2, but still a damn good time.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Hevans
Server: Ragnarok
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2021-04-19 14:43:31
Link | Quote | Reply

hahahaha. i like to imagine how many people rushed and bought stuff just for them to change their mind. i hope they do it again a year from now just to make money.
[+]
By ScaevolaBahamut 2021-04-19 15:10:16
Link | Quote | Reply

So I decided to make a list of all the Classic RPGs on the PSN store. there will be some that are action oriented and not turn based but I will put a * beside those! I hope this helps someone or gives you guys something new to play~ (Also not adding Final Fantasy games cause, c'mon, you already know about those)

PS1 games
PS3 (Ps2 Classics)
PSP Games
If I overlooked any, I apologize! This isn't a definitive list of every game on the system. Always check and see if the games have had rereleases on PC or another console before you buy! (and maybe the reviews too)

Two noteworthy adds in the PSP section are Persona 2: Innocent Sin (completing the duology with Eternal Punishment on the PS1 side) and Ys Seven.
By Kasaioni 2021-04-19 17:14:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Sony changed their minds.
https://www.gematsu.com/2021/04/sony-interactive-entertainment-backpedals-on-decision-to-close-playstation-store-for-ps3-and-ps-vita
PSP store is still getting axed though. (didn't even know it was still a thing? unless they mean you can't buy psp games on the vita)
Yeah I was wondering this. Do they mean that you will no longer be able to purchase games on PSP systems, or that no PSP games will be purchasable on any platform?
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2021-04-19 21:26:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Kasaioni said: »
Sony changed their minds.
https://www.gematsu.com/2021/04/sony-interactive-entertainment-backpedals-on-decision-to-close-playstation-store-for-ps3-and-ps-vita
PSP store is still getting axed though. (didn't even know it was still a thing? unless they mean you can't buy psp games on the vita)
Yeah I was wondering this. Do they mean that you will no longer be able to purchase games on PSP systems, or that no PSP games will be purchasable on any platform?

I would assume the latter, because you already can't purchase from the store on a PSP.

Either way, it really doesn't make much sense to me from a business sense. I know the PSP is old now, but does it really cost them more money to keep digital games available on their website than they get in profits? Even if it does, spending a little bit more on "good faith" business can go a long way in preserving a loyal fan base. Their executives appear to be incredibly out of touch, but at least they've now shown that they can be swayed from their bad decisions if people yell loud enough.