users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » White Mage » Weatherspoon ring vs Janniston Ring
Weatherspoon ring vs Janniston Ring
 Asura.Wolfiex
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Wolfiex 2020-11-30 05:49:02
Link | Quote | Reply

So recently I've really gotten into WHM and been debating swapping out my wsd seekers ring for the Janniston ring, when I mentioned this an LS mate brought up the Weatherspoon ring which he said despite the poor translation is actually light affinity +10 that he uses on his mythic rng ws.

So far I have been under the impression that the affinity/forced weather bonus when using chat staff + obi pushes you passed the 50% cp cap.

So my questions are would the same situation apply for the Weatherspoon ring?

and

Would the +10 light affinity be better than the +5% cp II?

The above situation would assume my cure set is already at the 50% cp cap and using chat staff + hachi obi with aurorastorm
 Cerberus.Echohawk
Server: Cerberus
user: echohawk
By Cerberus.Echohawk 2020-11-30 07:42:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Affinity and weather bonuses are different. Mostly in that affinity does not boost cure potency, but weather does. Otherwise, Daybreak's light affinity +50 would be an absurd cure boost. Chatoyant boosts weather bonus. Per BG:
Quote:
"Iridescence" increases the potency bonus from weather effects by an additional 10%.
Under this effect, the single weather potency bonus becomes 20% and the double weather bonus becomes 35%.
Elemental Obis will force the combined Iridescence/Weather proc.
Iridescence has no effect on day potency bonus/procs.
Thus if you are not under a weather bonus, chatoyant only gives the basic 10% cure potency bonus, even with obi on. Adding aurora storm gives with obi gives the 20% weather bonus in addition to the basic Cure potency. The weather bonus is also multiplicative with your total cure potency.

tl;dr: Don't use chatoyant without weather. Weatherspoon won't boost cure potency.
[+]
By SimonSes 2020-11-30 08:04:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Echohawk said: »
Affinity and weather bonuses are different. Mostly in that affinity does not boost cure potency, but weather does. Otherwise, Daybreak's light affinity +50 would be an absurd cure boost. Chatoyant boosts weather bonus. Per BG:
Quote:
"Iridescence" increases the potency bonus from weather effects by an additional 10%.
Under this effect, the single weather potency bonus becomes 20% and the double weather bonus becomes 35%.
Elemental Obis will force the combined Iridescence/Weather proc.
Iridescence has no effect on day potency bonus/procs.
Thus if you are not under a weather bonus, chatoyant only gives the basic 10% cure potency bonus, even with obi on. Adding aurora storm gives with obi gives the 20% weather bonus in addition to the basic Cure potency. The weather bonus is also multiplicative with your total cure potency.

tl;dr: Don't use chatoyant without weather. Weatherspoon won't boost cure potency.

That being said get Weatherspoon for those sweet HOLY magic burst! :D
[+]
By HyperKTM 2020-11-30 08:23:22
Link | Quote | Reply

You won't be losing out on much ditching Kariyeh only job that really needs that ring atm is bard I think most jobs have a replacement thats just as good or better then nq karieyh. You don't have gastra so there's no reason to get Weatherspoon so pick up janniston ring it really is a great bis ring for a whole lot of jobs/gearsets.
 Asura.Wolfiex
By Asura.Wolfiex 2020-11-30 08:24:27
Link | Quote | Reply

:D thank you for clearing this up for me.
 Cpu
By Cpu 2020-11-30 08:52:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Weatherspoon ring is BiS for RNG Trueflight and RDM Seraph Blade, both of which are real/useful WSs that get a pretty large bonus from the ring. I don't know of any scenarios outside of those two where you would ever pick it though.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-11-30 08:57:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Cpu said: »
Weatherspoon ring is BiS for RNG Trueflight and RDM Seraph Blade, both of which are real/useful WSs that get a pretty large bonus from the ring. I don't know of any scenarios outside of those two where you would ever pick it though.

Its my ring due to how unique it is- no other way to get that +affinity in the ring slot...and to be honest its hard to get it really anywhere.

Add to that the fastcast and it becomes very versatile, but even that doesn't make it some amazing first-choice ring- that FC just makes it at least functional for other jobs.
 Cpu
By Cpu 2020-11-30 09:04:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »

Its my ring due to how unique it is- no other way to get that +affinity in the ring slot...and to be honest its hard to get it really anywhere.

Add to that the fastcast and it becomes very versatile, but even that doesn't make it some amazing first-choice ring- that FC just makes it at least functional for other jobs.
For which jobs specifically though? Because I typically value CurePot II a lot more for most of my support jobs compared to Quick Magic.
 Asura.Pergatory
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2020-11-30 10:07:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Janniston is never going to make a difference in your gameplay. Go for Weatherspoon or even Vocane.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-11-30 10:20:30
Link | Quote | Reply

For which jobs specifically though? Because I typically value CurePot II a lot more for most of my support jobs compared to Quick Magic.

I use it for ease in my FC sets, the quick magic for me ends up being much more of an annoyance than a benefit, but I do understand some make it work for them. As a result, I wouldn't face the conflict of "choosing" between Weatherspoon vs a stat ring that helps whatever I'm casting.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2020-11-30 10:20:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Pergatory said: »
Janniston is never going to make a difference in your gameplay. Go for Weatherspoon or even Vocane.

This, if this is your main character, there is almost no reason to get Janniston unless WHM is literally the only job you want to play, and even then, it's arguable. The Enmity isn't really an issue any more since the JSE neck exists. As far as the cure potency question, you might get a few more HP of cureskin, but that's about it, I rarely cure for the full amount anymore, I'm usually overcuring to some degree, so it really only gives you a few extra HP of cureskin.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-11-30 10:52:45
Link | Quote | Reply

the quick magic for me ends up being much more of an annoyance than a benefit

[+]
By SimonSes 2020-11-30 10:54:27
Link | Quote | Reply

BLU light nukes, PLD Holy II, WHM Holy II (im not kidding), light skillchain (when mob is weakest to light and light is the element that it gets hit with and skillchain damage is priority)
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2020-11-30 11:53:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Weatherspoon is also excellent for Flash Nova, Seraph Strike, Primal Rend, etc.
[+]