Mamool Ambuscade V1
 Asura.Mims
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Ginza
By Asura.Mims 2020-11-16 15:10:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Lowen said: »
So does magic mean specifically spells that have an enfeebling effect (Flash?), or any magic at all (/BLU spells)?
It is the act of casting on the Mamool that triggers the counter. Not the damage, not an enfeebling effect, but the casting. Any spell that you cast on a target has the potential to trigger a counter.

Tons of people misunderstand this, but its pretty simple.

Paladin casts flash on a Mamool => Can trigger counter (Cast on Mamool)

Rune Fencer casts Foil on themself => Cannot trigger counter (Cast on self)

Dark Knight uses Weapon Bash on Mamool => Cannot trigger counter (JAs are not cast)

Corsair uses Leaden Salute on Mamool => Cannot trigger counter (Weapon skills are not cast)

Red Mage deals elemental damage with enthunder => Cannot trigger counter (Enspell damage is not casting)

Bard casts Horde Lullaby on a Mamool => Can trigger counter if sleep fails to land due to resist. Obviously a slept mob cannot perform a TP move, so if sleep lands, cannot counter.

Bard casts Horde Lullaby on a Wyvern with Mamool in range => Cannot trigger counter. Wyverns do not have counter moves, and since the Mamool were not directly targeted by the cast, cannot counter.

There are ways of getting around the counter. For instance you can cast an AoE spell on a Wyvern. Mamool will be affected, but since the Wyvern was the target you won't get countered. Obviously, if a Mamool is asleep, it cannot counter.

Special caution has to be taken for things that you might not normally consider, such as casting offensive Geo bubbles.
Also, if you cast a spell on a Mamool that wakes that mamool up (Such as Banish in the incident I mentioned a page ago) you will wake up the target and almost certainly get countered.

/edit added a bit more about Bard stuff, and waking up slept mobs, formatted for visibility
[+]
 Odin.Senaki
Server: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2020-11-17 09:29:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Y'all giving great information. It's much appreciated it. <3
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2020-11-18 10:36:30
Link | Quote | Reply

In those videos I'm seeing the CORs single wield, what's the deal there? What sub are they using?
 Odin.Creaucent
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2020-11-18 10:39:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably to cheese Tauret crit rate easier. You can change guns after every melee hit to reset tp back to 0 and keep the highest crit rate from Tauret.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2020-11-18 10:41:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I do see them using the Tauret dagger for the "Increases critical hit rate based on lower TP" and them swapping their ranged so that they stay really low for huge crit rates. But even on the final boss they stay single wielding.

Is it just because they're mostly single wielding the whole fight that they use something like /blm for the MAB to do the stronger/faster kill at the end with their leadens?
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2020-11-18 10:46:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Nevermind, Tank uses Gambit+Rayke for Dark then I see them pop Sekkanoki -> Leaden Salute -> Leaden Salute -> Tank uses Ground Strike -> Leaden Salute
 Odin.Creaucent
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2020-11-18 11:16:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Mims said: »
Ragnarok.Lowen said: »
So does magic mean specifically spells that have an enfeebling effect (Flash?), or any magic at all (/BLU spells)?
It is the act of casting on the Mamool that triggers the counter. Not the damage, not an enfeebling effect, but the casting. Any spell that you cast on a target has the potential to trigger a counter.

Tons of people misunderstand this, but its pretty simple.

Paladin casts flash on a Mamool => Can trigger counter (Cast on Mamool)

Rune Fencer casts Foil on themself => Cannot trigger counter (Cast on self)

Dark Knight uses Weapon Bash on Mamool => Cannot trigger counter (JAs are not cast)

Corsair uses Leaden Salute on Mamool => Cannot trigger counter (Weapon skills are not cast)

Red Mage deals elemental damage with enthunder => Cannot trigger counter (Enspell damage is not casting)

Bard casts Horde Lullaby on a Mamool => Can trigger counter if sleep fails to land due to resist. Obviously a slept mob cannot perform a TP move, so if sleep lands, cannot counter.

Bard casts Horde Lullaby on a Wyvern with Mamool in range => Cannot trigger counter. Wyverns do not have counter moves, and since the Mamool were not directly targeted by the cast, cannot counter.

There are ways of getting around the counter. For instance you can cast an AoE spell on a Wyvern. Mamool will be affected, but since the Wyvern was the target you won't get countered. Obviously, if a Mamool is asleep, it cannot counter.

Special caution has to be taken for things that you might not normally consider, such as casting offensive Geo bubbles.
Also, if you cast a spell on a Mamool that wakes that mamool up (Such as Banish in the incident I mentioned a page ago) you will wake up the target and almost certainly get countered.

/edit added a bit more about Bard stuff, and waking up slept mobs, formatted for visibility

Thats because of BGwiki saying the following.

Hemotoxin Wheel: Single Target ranged multi-hit TP move, deals heavy damage.

Autarch's counter move to magic, used on the player casting magic against it.

This includes Geomancy and magical weapon skills, but excludes en-damage, spikes, runes etc.
 Asura.Mims
user: Ginza
By Asura.Mims 2020-11-18 20:29:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Creaucent said: »
This includes Geomancy and magical weapon skills, but excludes en-damage, spikes, runes etc.
Just because its on BGWiki, doesn't mean the info is accurate or complete. Wiki's are often updated by people working with incomplete understandings of mechanics, if not secondhand information. Its page on this Ambuscade was never entirely accurate.

BGWiki said:
Enemies will use their TP moves as a counter to magical damage being inflicted upon them.
Excludes runes, en-spells, spikes, etc.
Includes magical weaponskills.
Will not counter while their aura is down.
This is the info on the Ambuscade page as of now for the Mamool adds and I assure you it is not accurate. Damage is irrelevant, all that matters is the act of casting. The counter mechanic is the same for the Autarch as for the other Mamool.
Offensive Geomancer bubbles can trigger, but I have never seen a magical WS trigger counter. For that matter, just look at the previous page in this thread, there are literally two videos of groups taking the Autarch down with Leaden Salute.

The thing is, this month's mechanics are exactly the same as the previous mechanics. People didn't fully understand it then, and clearly still do not fully understand it now. The BGWiki page needs to be updated, and fortunately that is a pretty easy thing to do.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [1026 days between previous and next post]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-09-11 01:04:41
Link | Quote | Reply

It's this one. Crits. Absolute cake.

Consider gimmick weapons so you dont *** it up. KC Mkris ridill quint spear soboro etc.
[+]
By Beau 2023-09-11 12:46:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok has anyone given this a go yet since MLs? I’m looking to 4-box it. Is a crit-based method or SC method faster?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-09-11 12:57:31
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're boxing it yourself, do both.

It's like 30 crits or 3 skillchains. Neither much faster than the other.

Crit one while subtargetting skillchains on another. IF you can make that element.
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2023-09-11 13:20:32
Link | Quote | Reply

After you kill all the adds by removing their aura, the boss looses their aura. Once it comes back up, can you remove it again or do you have to kill him before he blows up?

Do you have to do both Light and Dark skillchains alternating or something weird?
By Beau 2023-09-11 15:41:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok finally had success 4-box, but took 12min: WAR/PLD COR/NIN BRD/NIN RDM/SCH used Brygid and Yoran but Yoran died to wyverns.
3minuet, 1march, Gallants + Rogues roll to start. Standard kill order: PLD DRG MNK WHM then boss.
WAR defender + retaliation, provoke PLD then sentinel. BRD horde II while nitro still up. Auto-attack for crit procs on all then finish with SBs. WAR/PLD can provoke/flash DRG after Hydro Shot resets hate. Dispel the shock spikes on Erudite before engaging. Dispel and debuff (addle II most important) mega boss before engaging. COR switch rolls now to Chaos+SAM, BRD can resing if someone got dispelled. Zerg boss down without worrying about multisteps. He got to 4th ninjutsu spell before he died (and thats with me popping Abj Seals last minute). Lullaby had no issues landing.
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2023-09-11 16:26:32
Link | Quote | Reply

My first victory was just zerging while making light on the boss.
 Phoenix.Logical
By Phoenix.Logical 2023-09-11 21:23:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Been a while since we've seen this one. Fresh video out showing two strategies. Critical hit strategy still should be the one most use on any difficulty but the second strategy I go over can be used to get Normal Solo wins.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Phoenix.Logical
By Phoenix.Logical 2023-09-12 12:05:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Normal Solo Battle Example using the above strategy I go over. I'd still recommend Solo easy wins or Very Difficult party zergs but for those who want the solo challenge here you go.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
By Asura.Aragan 2023-09-13 07:46:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Ambuscade plan Volume 1, September 2023, Mamool Ja

plan Kill order Bozzetto Protector> Bozzetto Lancer > Bozzetto Moraingist(fish) > Bozzetto Erudite> Boss
auto attack only WITH CRITICAL SET if aura off kill ws
brd sleep all keep all sleep then we pull 1 far other kill
Bozzetto Erudite on engage befor dispel and silence
brd Fowl Aubade Puppet's Operetta Uncanny Etude HM Madrigal
Note: Brd can buff normal songs hm attx2 dex
WHM barfira barsleepra boost dex and other buff
cor galante Rogue's Roll
geo indi Wilt

tank brd/nin cor/nin healer rdm/nin geo
sub/nin
or dd/nin OR NIN replace geo

Boss before engage addle II paralaze 2 slow2 debuff whm barvira spam ws died fast no need step to aura off only need kill fast buff full attack
[+]
 Shiva.Cerderic
Server: Shiva
user: Cerderic
By Shiva.Cerderic 2023-09-13 09:27:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Do critical weaponskills count towards critical hit count to remove aura?
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2023-09-15 14:26:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Is alternating Light/Dark SCs on the megaboss "necessary" or can you just zerg it down, once you removed all auras and killed all Mamools?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-09-15 15:23:43
Link | Quote | Reply

It can be killed before it can explode
[+]
 Fenrir.Velner
Server: Fenrir
user: Velner
By Fenrir.Velner 2023-09-15 15:43:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Is alternating Light/Dark SCs on the megaboss "necessary" or can you just zerg it down, once you removed all auras and killed all Mamools?

I just zerg it down. I pop Addle on it to slow its casting but as long as it's dead before it completes the NIN Elemental spells, it won't explode.
[+]
 Bahamut.Autherius
Server: Bahamut
user: Autherius
By Bahamut.Autherius 2023-09-18 17:09:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel like I'm missing something - Doing crit/zerg method. I get all auras down, and get to the boss, he starts with aura down then halfway through zerg he puts it up and I do much less damage.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-09-18 17:16:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Crits/SC on minis break bosses Light aura. Wheel starts Dark aura. Dark aura has DT (and stacks with light aura to 99%?)
 Bahamut.Autherius
Server: Bahamut
user: Autherius
By Bahamut.Autherius 2023-09-18 17:19:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Crits/SC on minis break bosses Light aura. Wheel starts Dark aura. Dark aura has DT (and stacks with light aura to 99%?)

So if I he gets Dark up, I can make a DRK SC to take it away or am I just F'd?
 Phoenix.Capuchin
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2023-09-18 17:36:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Cerderic said: »
Do critical weaponskills count towards critical hit count to remove aura?

Yes, but that's a bit of a dangerous game because you don't want to kill the mob before you get a proc, and it can take some time. Far better to melee it down until you get an aura off, then WS the mob and it will die fast.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-09-18 18:58:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Autherius said: »
Asura.Eiryl said: »

So if I he gets Dark up, I can make a DRK SC to take it away or am I just F'd?

When it gets the Dark aura up, lv3/4 skillchains break it. I'm not 100% if it's 2-3 light, 2-3 darkness, 1 of each, or any combo.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-10-01 18:50:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I think Mijin Gakure Kai is breath damage with a really really ridiculously high HP multiplier.

It got it off at 1% (despite 6+ lights from 75% gg), and the only death was the sam not in DT (3030 dmg).
By Lordtrey 2023-10-08 09:14:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Its not breath damage, MG is always hp based. Its non-elemental damage.
By Tathamet 2023-10-08 11:09:43
Link | Quote | Reply

For what it's worth,

BG said:
Shell, Breath damage taken -, Magic damage taken - and Damage taken - gear will lower the damage taken from this attack.
[+]