No Bites After 10 Catches Or Fewer?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Fishing » No bites after 10 catches or fewer?
No bites after 10 catches or fewer?
By Prong 2020-08-17 05:18:35
Link | Quote | Reply

After years, finally broke down and decided to make a cooking/fishing mule, being that well, I don't like giving RMT my gil.

Now in years past, even after they added the << left and >> right thing with the 100 limit per calendar day, I have done some fishing, but only to say, unlock a vorseal, so never made it past about lvl 21.

Now I just started fishing from Lvl 0 with this mule. I already have a Lu Shang's I got from Mystery Chest and all +1 fishing gear made. I've read the guides, using the proper bait for the proper level/area. I can catch at times up to 10 "things." Mix of fish, rusty items, seaweed, whatever. Then, it just stops. No bites. No matter if I change bait or rods, change areas, or even just move a few yalms down river...nothing but, "no bite" messages.

Is there some quest now or NPC I have to talk to in order to "unlock" something? I've read everything before I posted this I can find and it doesn't appear anyone else has had this issue or if they have, they've not posted about it.
By soralin 2020-08-17 05:50:33
Link | Quote | Reply

You have to be level 21+ I believe.

Anti RMT measure.

Might be 31+, dont quite remember, but below a certain level you will have a 10 fish stamina instead of 200
By Prong 2020-08-17 06:14:53
Link | Quote | Reply

soralin said: »
You have to be level 21+ I believe.

Anti RMT measure.

Might be 31+, dont quite remember, but below a certain level you will have a 10 fish stamina instead of 200

Ok, my mule is lvl 70 atm. Didn't mention that in my first post, sorry.
By Draylo 2020-08-17 06:19:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually had this problem too on a char a while back. I forgot how I fixed it, maybe its something they did that got messed up but it goes away.
By Prong 2020-08-17 06:30:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
I actually had this problem too on a char a while back. I forgot how I fixed it, maybe its something they did that got messed up but it goes away.

I hope so and soon. It's literally taken me 6 real life days, while using fisherman's feast food, to get to Fishing lvl 2.
 Asura.Madotsukii
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Madotsuki
By Asura.Madotsukii 2020-08-17 10:16:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Curious, how old is the mule? Was it an existing one from a while back, or did you recently create it? Only thing I can think of is if it is fresh and they have a lower limit until X days pass from creation. If they are older, then I'm unsure. I only know Lu Shang's gives heavily reduced skill gain rates if your skill is below 50's but if you straight aren't getting bites and swapping rods is giving the same problem... I'm drawing a blank!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-08-17 10:19:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Madotsukii said: »
they have a lower limit until X days pass from creation.
If that's true, then it would probably be 45 days after creation.

That seems to be the rule of thumb they have to get good ***.
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-08-17 14:08:14
Link | Quote | Reply

The limit is for ten real life days after character creation you can only catch (not sure if reeling in or just bites count) up to 10 things. It allows you to at least maybe do a few quests. PLD AF boots come to mind.

They didn't really start with the 45 day limit on certain things until way after when they started in on their daily chore grindy ***. One could make a new account, get a free whatever they were giving away, and then delete/recreate and do it again.
[+]
By Draylo 2020-08-17 14:10:21
Link | Quote | Reply

His problem most likely isn't amount of days passed, I had this same issue with a char I used every day. I think it might be related to low skill with Lu like Madotsukii said, maybe try using a different rod. I distinctly remember this happening to me in Nashmau and I was like wtf is going on, then something changed but this was a while ago.
By Prong 2020-08-17 21:43:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
His problem most likely isn't amount of days passed, I had this same issue with a char I used every day. I think it might be related to low skill with Lu like Madotsukii said, maybe try using a different rod. I distinctly remember this happening to me in Nashmau and I was like wtf is going on, then something changed but this was a while ago.

I'm honestly not sure on the exact days passed, but it is a new mule, but I'm pretty sure it's older than 10 days but MAY be wrong.

I'm also pretty sure it's not Lu's causing it because I actually first started experiencing the issue when I was doing those initial Fishing RoEs, where you'd catch X amount of things with Yew Rod, then it would give you Bamboo Rod and then you had to catch X amount of things with Bamboo.

So, thank you everyone for the responses. I'll give it a few more days to see if it is the days thing. that "may" be it.
 Shiva.Siviard
Server: Shiva
user: Siviard
By Shiva.Siviard 2020-08-18 02:11:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I've had this problem recently.

The character is at least a year old so that isn't the issue.

I got the character a Hume Rod + Sabiki Rig and fished in Port Windurst attempting to get the first few level ups for Fishing. (and also to build up some Windurst fame) and after about 10-15 catches, I started to not catch anything. Job level also wasn't an issue b/c I was 99 BST.

Only thing I can think of, and this is merely speculation on my part. You're trying to fish for something that's well beyond your current skill level. Reason why I say that is: I got to Lv. 8 fishing and I then tried for Nebiminote in SSG. They wouldn't bite even though I had the proper bait and everything for it. Now I'm targeting Yellow Globe in Mhaura. They're biting practically on every cast.
[+]