Life-Size Gundam Is Now Complete
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2020-08-08 10:17:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Japan's Life-Size Gundam Is Now Complete in Yokohama
With Shinto priests blessing its 55,000-pound head.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Asura.Biglovin
Server: Asura
user: Monko
By Asura.Biglovin 2020-08-08 10:30:29
Link | Quote | Reply

725 million in japan for a giant useless toy.

720 million in USA for the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter for its 5 year mission studying another planet.

Nice priorities nihon.

I mean, if it did more movement than the elderly people of Elmore City, Oklahoma, I could see it as an "attraction." wwwwww
[+]
By Shichishito 2020-08-08 10:56:36
Link | Quote | Reply

hey, it can individually flap its pelvis shields. #worthit
[+]
 Asura.Wormfeeder
By Asura.Wormfeeder 2020-08-08 11:02:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Isn't Gundam The Godzilla of Chuck Norris's in Japan?
By Viciouss 2020-08-08 11:07:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Biglovin said: »
725 million in japan for a giant useless toy.

720 million in USA for the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter for its 5 year mission studying another planet.

Nice priorities nihon.

I mean, if it did more movement than the elderly people of Elmore City, Oklahoma, I could see it as an "attraction." wwwwww

Uh, I think your confusing the cost of an estimate for a fully functioning Gundam with the cost of this actual statue.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2020-08-08 12:01:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean, on full production: less than 1b/suit would be doable by the US military. THIS IS WHAT THE SPACE FORCE NEEDS!
[+]
 Shiva.Humpo
Server: Shiva
user: Humpo
By Shiva.Humpo 2020-08-08 12:38:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Ahh, to be so filthy rich that you can just do stuff like this..

Really cool stuff, I'd love to see the mechanical workings.

But as far as how expensive it is, it still kind pales in comparison to the Palm Islands or The World Islands outside of Dubai. IIRC, both break the 1 Billion USD mark with ease.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-08-08 13:21:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Meh, the technology to build a giant uber robot has been out for a very long time (truck-zilla anyone?)

The problem is a sustainable power supply for it, and its a long ways from space battles, tazer swords, and rocket boots.
 Bismarck.Ihinaa
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihinaa 2020-08-08 13:57:19
Link | Quote | Reply

What if it isn't a toy? What if being a toy is a coverup and they only keep it powered down during the day, and at night, they deploy it to fight space aliens?
[+]
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2020-08-08 14:59:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draugo said: »
Meh, the technology to build a giant uber robot has been out for a very long time (truck-zilla anyone?)

The problem is a sustainable power supply for it, and its a long ways from space battles, tazer swords, and rocket boots.

One other issue is weight in urban environments. I feel like it would cause a road to collapse and get stuck. If you are actually making a 1-1 scale Gundam I mean.

I think that Karata mech seems more practical. Load it up with some AR500 Steel Plates, Ballistic Glass and one of these:

Replace that stupid BB gun on it's arm with something real. (Following all applicable laws that is)

Sure a legal transferable Minigun will probably run you $300,000, but the price on the Karata is 1 Million, so go big or go home.

The stuff I'd do if I had money lol
[+]
By Jetackuu 2020-08-08 15:03:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Skarwind said: »
One other issue is weight in urban environments. I feel like it would cause a road to collapse and get stuck. If you are actually making a 1-1 scale Gundam I mean.
Not in the least, you should look up federal standards for vehicle weight limits, they may surprise you.
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-08-08 15:07:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Skarwind said: »
Leviathan.Draugo said: »

I think that Karata mech seems more practical. Load it up with some AR500 Steel Plates, Ballistic Glass and one of these:

Replace that stupid BB gun on it's arm with something real. (Following all applicable laws that is)

Sure a legal transferable Minigun will probably run you $300,000, but the price on the Karata is 1 Million, so go big or go home.

The stuff I'd do if I had money lol
The warfare with mech type ***will definately start with something along those lines. Both are pretty neat from a geek standpoint. It's pretty obvious that there is real world interest in military applications with these things, amongst other things, scifi come to life. Pretty cool stuff, long road to go.

Mark 2.0's will be, possibly, or extremely scary from an escalation of arms point of view.

Power supply, is the only thing missing keeping these off of battle fields.
By Xaander 2020-08-08 19:27:33
Link | Quote | Reply

That's a lot of money for a Gundam, considering it's only one shining finger sword away from being destroyed at all times.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2020-08-08 19:37:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually the armed forces of the world are getting away from large and maned in favor of small and unmaned.

What is really keeping things like these off the battlefields are lasers. The navy has lasers that will destroy hardened targets at 5 miles, how far are we away from laser artillery? Again, power source....

Not to mention the inherent instability of bipedal locomotion.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-08-08 19:43:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Actually the armed forces of the world are getting away from large and maned in favor of small and unmaned.

What is really keeping things like these off the battlefields are lasers. The navy has lasers that will destroy hardened targets at 5 miles, how far are we away from laser artillery? Again, power source....

Also, intricate robotics like that are tough as hell to armor the vulnerable parts of it.

Shielding is another issue.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-08-08 20:08:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Practical warfare is boring. Any awesome fighting robot being used in actual combat is one tactical bomb/missile strike away from becoming scrap metal. We need leaders around the world who are crazy enough to agree to settle all their differences exclusively through the use of giant robots.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2020-08-08 20:27:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Practical warfare is boring. Any awesome fighting robot being used in actual combat is one tactical bomb/missile strike away from becoming scrap metal. We need leaders around the world who are crazy enough to agree to settle all their differences exclusively through the use of giant robots.

It's only the "giant" part that makes it that way, human or approximately human sized robots are very feasible and a far better use of resources. A ten foot tall ~500lb robot is very plausible as a battle platform, especially as it's remotely piloted.
[+]
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2020-08-08 20:35:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »

LMAO Ghana thinks otherwise. They watch too much Scifi or something

[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-08-08 21:05:03
Link | Quote | Reply

dis a fun topic, Skynetanyone?