First Page 2
 Odin.Ehleni
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Ehleni
By Odin.Ehleni 2020-07-17 03:29:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey!

I'm looking into gearing my mule with basic WAR gear in order to solo job card farming. My main char have main WHM and BRD and I play during low server activity outside of both JP and NA hours.

Giving the mule a REMA seems overkill for the type of content I want to do. What is the best non-REMA axe I should be using?
 Asura.Kusare
Server: Asura
user: gaira
By Asura.Kusare 2020-07-17 05:52:57
Link | Quote | Reply

lycurgos
[+]
By RadialArcana 2020-07-17 06:36:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not an expert on War but from what I've read, single dual weild axe from Ambuscade > non rema GA
 Asura.Yottaxa
user: Yottaxa
By Asura.Yottaxa 2020-07-17 06:41:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.

Had to say it. Disclaimer - Its a joke.
By geigei 2020-07-17 07:53:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Aizkora +1
[+]
By Pantafernando 2020-07-17 08:00:58
Link | Quote | Reply

If i undesrtood right, its a same account mule so ambuscade weaps should be a lot of work for its purpose.

I would sugest some direct drop weapon you can send to same account, that wont require much investment or time.

Either escha zitah, reisen t2 or erinys GA, that seems very strong.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-07-17 08:02:00
Link | Quote | Reply

geigei said: »
Aizkora +1

It's a pretty sweet looking Gaxe for sure, but that base damage is super low :(
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2020-07-17 08:19:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Aizkora +1

Yes it's base damage makes it non-competitive with other options that are of similar "difficulty" to acquire.

If no REMA then it's really Lycurgos or bust at that point. Lycurgos is like a miniature Chango due to it's special properties.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Lycurgos

Quote:
DMG:359 Delay:508
STR+20 DEX+20 VIT+20
Accuracy+40 Attack+30 Magic Accuracy+40
Great Axe skill +250 Parrying skill +250 Magic Accuracy skill +250
"Steel Cyclone" "Steel Cyclone" damage +30%
TP Bonus based on current HP

Formula is TP Bonus = Current HP ÷ 5 and caps at 5K HP. Having around 2K HP should be pretty common so the bonus would be +400 TP Bonus for most of us.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2020-07-17 08:23:00
Link | Quote | Reply

For an absolutely brain dead easy GAXE for a starter WAR, look no further then Aganoshe.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Aganoshe

Throw a bunch of cheap Taupe stones at it until you get a +10-20 DMG and whatever else appears and viola perfectly functional weapon until someone can get an Ambuscade weapon or a REMA. This is minimum cost / effort to be functional and get something better.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2020-07-17 08:29:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
Aizkora +1

Yes it's base damage makes it non-competitive with other options that are of similar "difficulty" to acquire.

If no REMA then it's really Lycurgos or bust at that point. Lycurgos is like a miniature Chango due to it's special properties.

Quote:
STR+20 DEX+20 VIT+20

Formula is TP Bonus = Current HP ÷ 5 and caps at 5K HP. Having around 2K HP should be pretty common so the bonus would be +400 TP Bonus for most of us.

Ambu GAXE is awesome, but also look at the 1 handed axe as an option. If a player/mule is just getting into end game, they might not have the means to obtain WAR AF/Relic+3 for those major WSDMG+10 pieces straight away. Resolution/Decimation requires far less effort to gear for good numbers. While Upheaval/Steel Cyclone/Etc all need generous amounts of WSDMG.

I think it would be perfect for a mule too. Honestly even a Kaja Axe would put out some nice Decimation #s.

Flamma+2 Head/Feet/Ring, Sulevia Bod/Legs/Hands+2 would be a pretty solid set for OPs purposes.
[+]
By Wotasu 2020-07-17 08:29:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Not a GAxe! But Montante +1 and resolution everything. Hard to self skillchain tho.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-07-17 08:31:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean, honestly, (assuming this is a 2nd character and not a mule on the same account) get yourself into a decent Aeonics-run linkshell.

I got 2 Aeonics just using BLU and COR, never mind that only a couple of mobs do we actually SMN burn on. One of the 2 Aeonics is a Chango, so it is very simple to get one with little to no effort.

I think the hardest part about getting a Chango is actually finding a decent or better group to help you make one.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-07-17 08:38:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Skarwind said: »
Ambu GAXE is awesome, but also look at the 1 handed axe as an option.

GAxe with the "break" line of WS is just too good to not use for any out-the-box WAR. Dolichenus/Decimation spam is cool an easy to gear for, but I think a Warrior starting out gets more use out of Gaxe than Axe.

I agree it's an amazing Axe to have, though.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2020-07-17 09:43:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Aizkora +1

Quote:
STR+20 DEX+20 VIT+20

Ambu GAXE is awesome, but also look at the 1 handed axe as an option. If a player/mule is just getting into end game, they might not have the means to obtain WAR AF/Relic+3 for those major WSDMG+10 pieces straight away. Resolution/Decimation requires far less effort to gear for good numbers. While Upheaval/Steel Cyclone/Etc all need generous amounts of WSDMG.

I think it would be perfect for a mule too. Honestly even a Kaja Axe would put out some nice Decimation #s.

Flamma+2 Head/Feet/Ring, Sulevia Bod/Legs/Hands+2 would be a pretty solid set for OPs purposes.

Well OP specifically said GAXE so I kept it within that boundaries.

That being said, DW is an optional build for WAR's wanting to spread out more, a newish WAR isn't going to have the semi-specialized gear for that and shouldn't really spend that time chasing it, yet. Dolichenous is pretty solid but it requires a special setup to be better then GAXE options, and if someone can get Doli then they can get the Lycurgos.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2020-07-17 10:04:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Aizkora +1

Quote:
STR+20 DEX+20 VIT+20

Well OP specifically said GAXE so I kept it within that boundaries.

That being said, DW is an optional build for WAR's wanting to spread out more, a newish WAR isn't going to have the semi-specialized gear for that and shouldn't really spend that time chasing it, yet. Dolichenous is pretty solid but it requires a special setup to be better then GAXE options, and if someone can get Doli then they can get the Lycurgos.

I know OP is looking at a Great Axe, but it requires time and effort for it to actually be good. He's just looking for something to speed up card farming for his WHM and BRD.

Also which specialized gear?

A dual wield earring/emicho Hands which are pretty quick to get.
T1 Sky NMs, have some gear incentives to go after since he's there anyways. Ishvara Earring, Petrov Ring, Argosy Abjs, Etc.

As for the earring there is Suppanomimi, or OP could just Domain Invasion once for the MEVA/DW Earring.

Is it going to be perfectly capped with NQ, probably not but it comes close.

If I had to start all over, I would just grab a Kaja axe and rock on until I gets some better gear, and eventually a pulse weapon for Lycurgos, etc.

IMO even a low tier Kaja Axe build, would beat low tier great axe. Decimation hits has hard as Resolution at higher tp levels and only needs STR/Acc/Atk/Multi Attack gear to be efficient. He could build it up easy with just a few ambuscades avoiding Heavy Reforging and Oseem augmenting.

Let's not under estimate self skill-chains though. Not sure how multi stepping sits with OP while dual boxing.

If killing a tier 1 Sky NM for a hand abjuration is an issue, how will he be able to kill a tier 2 Reisenjima NM for an Aganoshe?

OP just wants to card farm and kill sweet water mobs with minimal effort. I just wanted to get the guy smashing Sweet Waters apart as quick as possible for his needs.

In the long run, get both/everything. But for the short term I'd say the Axe will get you to a good place relatively quick with less effort than other options.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-07-17 10:08:46
Link | Quote | Reply

He's just looking for something to speed up card farming for his WHM and BRD.
OP just wants to card farm and kill sweet water mobs with minimal effort, why over think it.

Then if this is the case, GAxe is the better options anyways, since Fell Cleave is the single most powerful Physical WS in the game next to Sonic Thrust.
[+]
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2020-07-17 10:12:26
Link | Quote | Reply

OP just wants to card farm and kill sweet water mobs with minimal effort, why over think it.

Then if this is the case, GAxe is the better options anyways, since Fell Cleave is the single most powerful Physical WS in the game next to Sonic Thrust.

Very true, both need some heavy Weapon Skill Damage to do that well don't they? They are indeed powerful, but as a starting player they might be anemic no?
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-07-17 10:19:35
Link | Quote | Reply

If he has a second character BRD or WHM, he can't be that new of a player. In any event, even just doing DI daily you can get Odyssean or Valorous set, so it's not really a hindrance. From there, it's just stones and augments for WSD if you want to build a useful set. And if he's using two accounts, he can probably solo the gear he needs to save time. The T1s are mostly a joke.

But those points aside, even if he just used bare-minimum Sulevia +2, a Bard makes a world of difference for damage, so Fell Cleave should be fairly decent if he were to go the BRD+WAR route even without any real gear improvements.

The axe is a superb weapon in it's own right, so it's not a "make this before that" type of deal. But if we are talking about something that will probably bring the most benefit to WAR for OP's specific case, whether solo or in group, it's Lycurgos IMO.
By Pantafernando 2020-07-17 11:33:51
Link | Quote | Reply

You mean strongest AoE physical WS?
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-07-17 12:06:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Sure, AOE. Sonic Thrust is pretty damn strong. And you can use it with Shining One, so not sure Fell Cleave is actually stronger. It does have a more favorable AOE, though.
 Odin.Ehleni
Server: Odin
user: Ehleni
By Odin.Ehleni 2020-07-17 12:11:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow I didn't expect that many replies. But as many of you mention, I'm not completely new to the game. I have been on and off for the last couple of years and recently back. My main goal is just to be able to farm job cards for BRD and WHM and for that I need to get some DPS damage in order to clear the area fast enough.

I recently got Chango on my main char and figured that GAXE is the way to go in terms of killing stuff the fastest but if Axe works just as well for the omen mobs then that is good too. I'm a casual player playing in a none NA timezone. Which makes it really difficult to join an LS for regular Aeonic runs which means I have to farm gil during my timezone and instead merc it and paying 100m for a chango for a mule just to farm cards seems like a waste.

But is an ambu war with kaja axe able to down the mobs in Omen and clear the floors fast enough? because that would be easy as I could do ambu with my main and quickly build up my alt.

The accounts are completely separate as well so I cannot simply send gear over.
By Pantafernando 2020-07-17 12:16:18
Link | Quote | Reply

In general, the last step before REMA (and possibly better than few REMA) is ambuscade weapons
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-07-17 12:17:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
and possibly better than few REMA
Just curious, what pulse weapons are better than their REMA counterpart?
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-07-17 12:28:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends if you are talking R0 or R15. But Tauret, Naegling, Shining One, and Dolichenus could be strong contenders. Actually, I think the latter definitely beats out other MH axe options for BST in terms of raw dps spam.
By Pantafernando 2020-07-17 12:47:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

Well, i was thinking on how not-popular are the relics nowadays
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-07-17 12:49:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm asking because I was literally thinking about dropping 40mil+ on a Ragnarok soon, for WAR.

But if Nanadaka is a better solution.....
By Pantafernando 2020-07-17 12:55:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm asking because I was literally thinking about dropping 40mil+ on a Ragnarok soon, for WAR.

But if Nanadaka is a better solution.....

I do said in general, not a golden rule.

None memtion Nandaka, so im pretty sure it just meh.

I actually did it thinking the added effect was great, i didnt test but reading people saying its not a debuff but a bonus, i never again equipped it
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-07-17 12:58:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably a better investment is just waiting a few months until Montante +1 gets the R15 treatment. It should easily decimate all other options for WAR GS.
By Nariont 2020-07-17 12:59:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Its 1% def ignored per debuff applied, aint terrible but pretty meh. Would just get raetic algol fir war though, hreat when latent is active and still decent when its not. Or even montante if you can cover the acc
By Crossbones 2020-07-17 13:58:10
Link | Quote | Reply

You 100% should not make a rag ever pretty much no matter what. Use a raetic+1 or montente+1 if you want to use a GS. Montente+1 might get an upgrade eventually so could be even better than it is now, which is really good. If your acc is so low you need to equip a rag the solution isn't to make a rag it's to figure out whats going on with your buffs / gear.
First Page 2