First Page 2 3 4
 Ragnarok.Finea
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Finea
By Ragnarok.Finea 2020-07-16 10:11:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi all,

EDIT: Twitter Updates - Follow for new releases/updates.

MARCH 2021 UPDATE: FULL CONTENT AND DOWNLOAD IS NOW AVAILABLE ON NEXUSMODS - FOR ALL INFORMATION AND LINKS, CLICK HERE

I don't really know where to start with this, but I haven't really shared it with many people aside my close friends - But I'm working on up-scaling some objects, monsters, armor and character faces for FFXI - I want to keep everything in the similar style as they already are, as I love the aesthetics of FFXI and want to keep a similar image rather than using things like real cloth and real rock textures.

Anywho - Feel free to take a look at some models, I've done around 50-60 pieces of armor, characters and monsters so far. I might add more to this album, but this is the base concept for where I'm going with it. Any comments, suggestions or recommendations on any other models/etc are more than welcome.

Some look a little rougher than others, I started around a week or so ago and already have learnt way more in my recent ones so I'll get around to going back to some shortly. The models tend to look a lot nicer in-game rather than in Altana Viewer due to having no configurable graphic settings, and I play FFXI in 4K

The whole album can be found here - And I'll upload more to this album over the next few weeks.

Not really sure what I'm doing there though! Other advice or places to store would be greatly appreciated!

[+]
 Odin.Bangla
Server: Odin
user: Ceal
By Odin.Bangla 2020-07-16 11:20:11
Link | Quote | Reply

The eyes look uncanny.
 Odin.Demhar
Server: Odin
user: Demhar
By Odin.Demhar 2020-07-16 11:23:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Great work!
 Shiva.Arislan
Server: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2020-07-16 11:33:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Those animations are pretty neat.
 Ragnarok.Finea
By Ragnarok.Finea 2020-07-16 11:43:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Bangla said: »
The eyes look uncanny.

I've changed the eyes a little in most the examples above - I found them too white, the whiter they are the larger they look. I noticed in the textures the sockets SE made for the eyes aren't actually filled. They have a bottom lash line but they also have the texture for the eye inside another part of the model and they don't meet at all, it looks super bad upclose, haha - I've just made it so they fill the space that looks like it was originally meant for. The eyes are now darker like they are on the first Male Humes with the floppy boyish hair.
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2020-07-16 11:53:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Share your Blade: Ku seeeeets
 Ragnarok.Finea
By Ragnarok.Finea 2020-07-16 19:19:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Share your Blade: Ku seeeeets

Blade: Ku? I haven't touched WS's yet - The animation above that is just Ninjutsu casting, but I've taken a look and I could use pretty much the same images and recolour them red/blue. :)

I'll let you know if I do!

I was looking at spells earlier and didn't notice that SMNs avatars get summoned on a field of elements, with carbuncle being a rainbow colour that matches all the elements around it, pretty neat for a 64x64 texture! Nice feature I never knew about until today.

Asura.Crevox
user: Crevox
By Asura.Crevox 2020-07-16 19:22:15
Link | Quote | Reply

A lot of style changes.

-The font on the level/merit point texts is completely different.
-The eyes look completely different.
-Mob color is different/brighter.
-Ridill's texture is removed and it's just a color.

These projects are always a nice idea, but they deviate from the intent and change how things look rather than just looking nicer.
 Ragnarok.Finea
By Ragnarok.Finea 2020-07-16 19:38:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Crevox said: »
A lot of style changes.

-The font on the level/merit point texts is completely different.
-The eyes look completely different.
-Mob color is different/brighter.

These projects are always a nice idea, but they deviate from the intent and change how things look rather than just looking nicer.

I totally agree - The eyes are different. The current eyes were super low quality when I upscaled things, I’m still learning and want to do the current content justice. Finding a style that matches. Mobs are more saturated, it does make the colours pop a bit, again, I’m just trying to find a balance that doesn’t change things way too much, like making the flies purple or changing hair colours.

The level up animations were mostly me just playing around and I made gif versions of them so I threw them up - I also didn’t like them so much, they’re certainly crisper in-game, probably too much. I always loved how the FF12 “Level Up” explosion was clearly a +1 and inspired by FF11, the font was slightly more cursive and fun looking, I think I just took inspiration from that and moved it on more - I agree that it’s certainly not similar to the current.

Thank you for your feedback! I’ll try harder to remain on track with keeping things stronger inline, I’m learning more for every file I work on and I’ve already gone back and made changes to my first few models, hahaha. Much appreciated :)
By RadialArcana 2020-07-17 06:44:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Keep in mind that you don't have to stick to the original style either, it's fine to offer something new. The Level Up and Merit mods look great!
[+]
 Ragnarok.Finea
By Ragnarok.Finea 2020-07-18 11:17:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Added Summons, a few more monsters and such.

Full list of items added daily over on my AshenbubsHD GitHub

Although I'll be totally honest I don't know if that's the best place for it and I've never done something like this before. I keep the ReadMe file up to date with the new dats, along with the locations of them, what they are, etc.

Various Crags:

Gusgen Mines:
[+]
By Aricomfy 2020-07-18 12:22:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey, just dipping in to mention that you don't have to bother with doing any zone retextures, Amelila already pretty much upscaled every zone with AI. If I were you, since zones have already been done, I'd focus your efforts on something that has yet to be fully done, which is on Faces, NPC's, Mobs, Weapons and Armor. I know a few items scattered about here and there have been given a facelift like some REMA items, but a fully completed and artistically coherent mod pack from a single modder would be absolutely perfect and it would really work well with and complement the zone mods Amelila has done.

Really appreciate your work and desire to do this stuff, we can't get enough modders working on FFXI these days. I just didn't want you to go into this without structure and start over working yourself by feeling like you had to upscale all the things.

I really like the Hume Male F4B face btw, you're the first person to really give it an actual upscale. There's still a TON of faces that haven't been touched that I'm sure people have been dying to see upscaled, as well as armor sets and robes.
 Lakshmi.Avereith
Server: Lakshmi
user: Lilianna
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2020-07-18 12:24:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I really don't like that look. Just my personal opinion.

It reminds me of people playing older games (nes, snes, etc) with smoothing emulator filters on. ICK

edit: that said, I really do like what you're doing. Good work and keep it up!
 Asura.Panasync
By Asura.Panasync 2020-07-22 17:24:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I kind of like it, some of it looks almost cell shaded.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Razziel
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Razziel 2020-07-22 21:17:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Logging on just to try these. Great job! Are these just for humes only?
 Ragnarok.Finea
By Ragnarok.Finea 2020-07-23 16:03:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Added several races - Won't updated github until tomorrow though as it's late here.

Thanks for the feedback, I hear the opinions on the eyes, and with the female hume I've posted above, that was my first attempt at any kind of texture replacement, I'm going to do a full set of Humes (M & F) probably tomorrow, as they are far too bright and I didn't test them in-game, as the lighting is very different from Altana View.

[+]
By Aricomfy 2020-07-23 16:41:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice, THIS is what I'm talking about. I really like the look of these, you've done an excellent job here. Feels great to get all the races on equal terms when it comes to HD faces.
 Asura.Melonlord
user: MelonLord
By Asura.Melonlord 2020-07-23 21:12:33
Link | Quote | Reply

As a complete noob to modding, whats the best way to add this in?
 Bismarck.Rwolf
Server: Bismarck
user: Rwolf
By Bismarck.Rwolf 2020-07-23 21:30:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Interesting! Never seen mods like this before. Has this cell shaded vibe and the colors reminded me instant of mobile type games. That's cool. Nice work!

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Finea
By Ragnarok.Finea 2020-07-25 11:27:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Added the following races to Github:
https://github.com/Ashenbubs/AshenbubsHD

Male Humes
Female Humes
Mithrans
Galkans
Female Elvaans

To do this weekend:
Male Elvaan
Tarutaru

Oddly proud of this one as I've never see anyone choose this face before:
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2020-07-25 11:36:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Quality of the work is excellent on everything.

Eyes approach the uncanny valley(especially on the galka) and seem out of place.

Just trying to give honest feedback, not be a downer.
By Taeketsu 2020-07-25 12:08:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Agree on the eyes, little too much - but that is literally the only negative comment I can make. I love the style, but with this kind of style I honestly would want to replace as much as possible so nothing clashed. Great job, keep it up- I hope you get a lot of feedback from the community to make it worth it

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Finea
By Ragnarok.Finea 2020-07-30 19:07:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Elvaan Males are done - Started work on armor.

Will update GitHub in the morning.

[+]
By Zyphira 2020-08-05 03:00:58
Link | Quote | Reply

These are really cool! I think the eyes just need to be a little less sparkly but the shape and color of them is definitely good
 Ragnarok.Finea
By Ragnarok.Finea 2020-08-06 07:27:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Zyphira said: »
These are really cool! I think the eyes just need to be a little less sparkly but the shape and color of them is definitely good

Thanks! That's been the most common feedback so far - Once you see them in-game and not rendered in AltanaViewer, i find it adds just enough brightness otherwise they do look very dark otherwise.

I've been taking a bit of a break as of late, real-world stuff, but here's some things I've been working on in the meantime, trying to keep everything as the same style and look as above.

All screenshots are taken via Model Viewer and look exactly the same in-game, no adjustments have been made at all to the screenshots in terms of brightness/contrast/touch-ups, etc.

PLEASE right-click the image and "Open Image in New Tab" to view the images as they're taken in 4K

[+]
By Zyphira 2020-08-06 18:23:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Finea said: »
Thanks! That's been the most common feedback so far - Once you see them in-game and not rendered in AltanaViewer, i find it adds just enough brightness otherwise they do look very dark otherwise.

Yeah, I was gonna comment that when I installed them I noticed that they seemed better in game as opposed to AV screenshots

Great stuff so far! Definitely following your github for updates
First Page 2 3 4