Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-05-20 18:57:19
Link | Quote | Reply

This shirt shows how little people value things.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-05-20 19:02:35
Link | Quote | Reply

On that note, it's perfect. You sell things to addicts that addicts will buy unquestionably. They just made the price too high.

You can already see how many people would've bought it without question if the value was JUST A BIT higher.

Throw in a tidal talisman? A rainbow pell? An orchestron song? A unique mount? A new piece of furniture? Easy sell.
[+]
By Draylo 2020-05-20 19:04:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Doesnt make people addicts, people have money to spend on their hobbies or things that they would enjoy. Just because you dont place value on it doesnt mean it isnt worthwhile to someone. More like the mindset of a poor person who cant fathom someone spending money on merch yet they go and buy their cigs or whatever garbage.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2020-05-20 20:18:32
Link | Quote | Reply

anyone remember that shitty Leviathan pendant from over a decade ago?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-05-20 20:20:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Endoq said: »
http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/topics/special/080818.html
2/28/2009
Tidal Talisman
$42.99

Asura.Eiryl said: »
They just made the price too high. Throw in a tidal talisman

(and I didn't say it makes you addicted, it's (inflated) pricing because you're already addicts)
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2020-05-20 21:18:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Endoq said: »
http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/topics/special/080818.html
2/28/2009
Tidal Talisman
$42.99

They just made the price too high. Throw in a tidal talisman

(and I didn't say it makes you addicted, it's (inflated) pricing because you're already addicts)
I bought one way back when, and it was very disappointing for the price... like dollar store quality
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-05-20 21:32:46
Link | Quote | Reply

That's just business. 10000% markup on a .50 die cast piece of scrap metal with some rope.

Why charge $10 when you know you can get $54.99
By Draylo 2020-05-20 21:39:02
Link | Quote | Reply

So whats the issue? Are you a smoker Eiryl?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-05-20 21:51:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Would assume thats an obvious no. Instead of replying just make your point instead of asking an obvious question.

Even if I were I wouldn't pay $50 for a T with Joe Camel on it.

Nor would I pay $50 for a T that supports my favorite actress. Or Link. Or Rikku. Or Ironman. Or Mickey Mouse.

Not $40
Not $30
Maybe $20 with free shipping.

(50 for an embroidered "no escape" cactuar hoodie/jacket ala The Bouncer, I'd consider, if proceeds went to The Bouncer remake/sequel)
By Draylo 2020-05-20 22:17:06
Link | Quote | Reply

My point is, some people actually spend money on products that literally damage their health. Youre making it seem like people are addicted nut cases for buying a damn shirt or merch from a company/game they are a fan of lol.

Most people who collect merch are usually stable in money. A lot of people who make it a hobby are well off. They couldnt give a *** if its expensive to someone who probably doesnt have a lot of money. Everyones got their vice, at least this doesnt damage their health.

As far as the price, I agree with you as its not a good quality in my opinion. That said, they have had some good quality things on their store, it just seems related to XI they dont put a lot of effort in.
[+]
By Draylo 2020-05-20 22:23:05
Link | Quote | Reply

When you get to a level where you make decent money and see people criticize people who like their hobby, you just laugh. In a way you get the price seems crazy for something that most think is useless but you get used to it. Good business for sure for whoever sells lol. There are a lot worse things people waste money on and when you die you aint taking it anywhere anyway.
 Sylph.Wardeniv
Server: Sylph
user: Wardeniii
By Sylph.Wardeniv 2020-05-20 23:26:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Man - this is rough. If I felt compelled to get a FFXI keepsake, I'm far more likely to throw 40 bucks at the dude 3D printing elemental staves than I would be to spend even $10 on this. My favorite dress shirts cost less than this T-shirt.

Part of the issue is this simply isn't my style, but it doesn't even seem to accomplish what it's trying to do well. I get the whole whimsical Windurst/chibi/fun art bit, but it just looks like a grade-school power point intro slide to a low-budget Cheech and Chong spinoff. Comic sans-esque font, and a literal flat square frame with the most redeeming feature being it's on the back of the shirt where people are less likely to see it.

A T-shirt also feels like a poor choice for a "collectible" in a dated game that people are very unlikely to recognize. "Collectible" is a pretty generous term to try and justify the inflated price tag regarding the annual re-celebration of an MMO.

This one sadly missed the mark on an already limited amount of attention/content this game receives. I echo that they could justify the price tag with an in-game item. An art print (remember all of that sweet Amano art?), watch, or even a coffee mug would have been better imo. They could even do some sweet in-game event where you get a RL item shipped to you if you complete it - that would be sweet even if the reward was this T-shirt.
[+]
By Draylo 2020-05-20 23:43:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean... nobody seems to agree with the price here. Eiryl was indirectly talking down to people who have a hobby of collecting things and he says they are addicted. Somehow he thinks whatever he purchases (probably cigs or drugs, he seems the type) is worth more than what some nerd considers valuable.

A game being dated or obscure also has no bearing on its worth. You may not like it but someone probably does. Altho we can agree its quite ugly for a shirt.
[+]
 Asura.Gnawclaw
user: Gnawclaw
By Asura.Gnawclaw 2020-05-20 23:46:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
My point is, some people actually spend money on products that literally damage their health.

I bought a ps2 ffxi box with adapter and all that jazz and I'm pretty sure I almost caught something gnarly cleaning the hardware. :(

something that most think is useless

and then I put it on a shelf to sit and be stared at with a whole bunch of other xi novelties. :'(

WHAT IM TRYING TO SAY IS.. 10/10 would buy again.

We need more XI merch like these, they are neat:

Man I really want these. I couldn't find them anywhere for a sane price at the time I looked.

Anyway I think 50 for this shirt is too steep for me right now. Not particularly in love with the art style. But I just look at it from the angle of hanging it up and not wearing it, so spending 50-some on wall art would be no big deal at all.
 Sylph.Wardeniv
Server: Sylph
user: Wardeniii
By Sylph.Wardeniv 2020-05-20 23:50:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah - I was browsing through some other items in their store, and just about everything looked pretty inflated for what you're getting (even in collectible terms) - so probs just par for the course for their niche. I'll fully admit to being a sucker for art prints/figures even at inflated prices, so I feel like I'm at least not massively off base.

I think the game being dated for sure impacts the price point though. VII remake being the new hotness lets you get more ambitious on price vs anticipated units sold (in contrast to XI). All that aside, SE likely knows better than I do about their overall fanbase and what prices work - I may just clearly not be the target for this item.
By Draylo 2020-05-21 00:20:17
Link | Quote | Reply

It's like those jewelry and expensive watch stores you see on vacation at the airport or some hotel and you're like who really buys those and how do they stay in business I never see people buy there!
[+]
By Foxfire 2020-05-21 15:39:10
Link | Quote | Reply

i want them to remake the old merch - i'm never buying the rings but i think they were neat as hell

also the nation keychains were cool
By Alektrona 2020-05-21 20:26:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Bastok or gtfo <3
[+]
By volkom 2020-05-21 20:54:09
Link | Quote | Reply

i want these...

[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2020-05-21 21:36:25
Link | Quote | Reply

We need more XI merch like these, they are neat:

your view is god damn beautiful
[+]
By ffxiahsucks 2020-05-27 11:08:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Suteru said: »
Was an instant-buy until I saw the price. Yikes.

https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/product/608612/final-fantasy-xi-18th-anniversary-t-shirt-windurst-xl-apparel

And the nitpicker in me is like "it says "Windurst" when it shows all of Mindartia"

Maybe it's the beer talking but...55 dollars for a T shirt get out of here !

[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-05-27 13:58:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Need a dhalmel shirt though.
 Fenrir.Richybear
Server: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2020-05-27 15:05:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Simpsons meme!!

wb! ;)
[+]
 Asura.Suteru
user: Suteru
By Asura.Suteru 2020-05-28 07:26:17
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
i want these...

I have that middle one.

https://www.redbubble.com/i/t-shirt/Final-Fantasy-XI-San-D-Oria-by-Asrielle/7466734.R05UB
 Phoenix.Erics
Server: Phoenix
user: prophets
By Phoenix.Erics 2020-05-28 07:39:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Suteru said: »
Was an instant-buy until I saw the price. Yikes.

https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/product/608612/final-fantasy-xi-18th-anniversary-t-shirt-windurst-xl-apparel

And the nitpicker in me is like "it says "Windurst" when it shows all of Mindartia"
Is windy on a sulfur pit? Why did they choose stink clouds? This reminds me of the terrible mithkabob shirt... FFXI has so many memorable characters, bosses, jobs and cool designs directly in the game itself. It doesn't need some interpretative and campy design you might see at an unlicensed seller's table to move merch.

edit: I have bought items from the SE store but they were from ff14. I bought a Goobbue plush because thats the minion i use and i named him goobers. It's actually well made and the size of a medium pillow for 40 bucks, def bigger than i expected when i ordered it.
Then i got my friend a Namazu coin bank(grey catfish tribe) thats also well made and a decent size for the same price. I was looking for some ffxi merch but didnt really find anything that caught my eye.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
Server: Bismarck
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-05-28 07:49:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Erics said: »
Is windy on a sulfur pit? Why did they choose stink clouds? This reminds me of the terrible mithkabob shirt... FFXI has so many memorable characters, bosses, jobs and cool designs directly in the game itself. It doesn't need some interpretative and campy design you might see at an unlicensed seller's table to move merch.
This is just more of the funkopopification of all pop cultute. People are so obsessed with "cute," nothing can be "cool" anymore.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-05-28 08:52:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Is windy on a sulfur pit? Why did they choose stink clouds?

Those are the clouds of smoke from the opium den where the dev that approves merchandise designs resides.
By Draylo 2020-05-28 13:54:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Laurelli said: »
This is just more of the funkopopification of all pop cultute. People are so obsessed with "cute," nothing can be "cool" anymore.

I find it to be really lame, then again my opinion is generally in the minority. I love cool stuff !
 Fenrir.Richybear
Server: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2020-05-28 14:15:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Genius move would've been to lock Wardrobe 5 behind this shirt. lol
[+]