Corona Virus, How Has It Affected Your Area So Far?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Corona Virus, How has it affected your area so far?
Corona Virus, How has it affected your area so far?
First Page 2 3 ... 52 53 54 ... 129 130 131
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2020-04-06 18:20:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Laurelli said: »
Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
And as a result there was a marked increase of violence against asians ... You can claim it's not racist but it certainly was feeding racism.
This is BS.
No one was violent against Asians because the virus had Wuhan in its name.
Maybe a handful of weirdo's were more violent or aggressive than usual because of the disease's origin. Or maybe they were just exactly as violent or aggressive as they always are, but they just cited different reasons than usual. But it's only people who were already mentally imbalanced. And they would have acted the same way if this disease was called zippitydooda virus.
There's literally zero evidence that normal sane people saw the words Wuhan Virus, and had that spontaneously trigger some kind of violent reaction towards Asians.
We have evidence of this in France. The pleb was all about insulting Chinese and as you may know, for the pleb, Chinese = Asians.
Now, it never got bad enough that "the usual offended by everything crowd" had to lead a campaign against it being labelled as something from China.

Unlike USA/NA, most people never called it "Chinese virus" here, ever, not even most people who are actually racist. And of the people who did call it this way, it had no racist meaning whatsoever, they used the same logic as the Spanish flu.
We mostly call it "Coronavirus" for the most lazy/pleb and "Covid 19" for the normal people.

All in all, there is a bigger problem at hand than "muh racism", you North Americans really don't have your priorities in check.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
Server: Bismarck
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-04-06 18:29:28
Link | Quote | Reply

DirectX said: »
You're acting like it's unbelieveable because of zero "evidence". When people cite increased reports of racism towards Asians you will say that is not "evidence". I know these slippery slopes well.

If not that then you will claim the source is biased.
If journalists start reporting every time someone does something, doesn't mean people are doing it more often. Just that it's being reported more.
Also, the way you said that violence against Asians was somehow similar to violence to 5G towers sounded racist.
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-04-06 18:31:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
And as a result there was a marked increase of violence against asians ... You can claim it's not racist but it certainly was feeding racism.
This is BS.
No one was violent against Asians because the virus had Wuhan in its name.
Maybe a handful of weirdo's were more violent or aggressive than usual because of the disease's origin. Or maybe they were just exactly as violent or aggressive as they always are, but they just cited different reasons than usual. But it's only people who were already mentally imbalanced. And they would have acted the same way if this disease was called zippitydooda virus.
There's literally zero evidence that normal sane people saw the words Wuhan Virus, and had that spontaneously trigger some kind of violent reaction towards Asians.
We have evidence of this in France. The pleb was all about insulting Chinese and as you may know, for the pleb, Chinese = Asians.
Now, it never got bad enough that "the usual offended by everything crowd" had to lead a campaign against it being labelled as something from China.

Unlike USA/NA, most people never called it "Chinese virus" here, ever, not even most people who are actually racist. And of the people who did call it this way, it had no racist meaning whatsoever, they used the same logic as the Spanish flu.
We mostly call it "Coronavirus" for the most lazy/pleb and "Covid 19" for the normal people.

All in all, there is a bigger problem at hand than "muh racism", you North Americans really don't have your priorities in check.
This is what I keep trying to say. Also, only Trump and Fox call it China Virus. Everyone else used to call it Wuhan Coronavirus. Until the CCP said not to and people submitted.

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-04-06 18:52:52
Link | Quote | Reply

If journalists start reporting every time someone does something, doesn't mean people are doing it more often. Just that it's being reported more.
On what basis do you say it is "just reported more" though?
On what basis do you say it happened more?

Also, the way you said that violence against Asians was somehow similar to violence to 5G towers sounded racist.
I didn't say anything remotely like that. I was saying that attacking 5G towers is even more HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE than attacking Asians.
That's even more racist.

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-04-06 19:20:58
Link | Quote | Reply

it's because attacking another person is ALWAYS "more HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE" than attacking an inanimate object.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-04-06 19:52:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Well yes, but the context of the discussion is.... Asian persons, shortened to Asians.
Now you're just saying things so you can have the last word.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-04-06 21:09:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Well yes, but the context of the discussion is.... Asian persons, shortened to Asians.
Now you're just saying things so you can have the last word.
You are figuring this out now?!?!
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-04-07 00:10:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Ummmm:

[+]
By Odinz 2020-04-07 02:46:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Basic Logic - No.
You present a false dilemma fallacy as an argument. These are not the only two exclusive outcomes.
Both increased reporting, and increased occurrences could both be the case. Probability dictates that the opposite of what you said is true, due to the very nature of news, and context.
There is a lot more supporting evidence such as history and previous controversial political environments where minorities have been targeted, to give a healthy assumption what you are saying is wrong.
 Bismarck.Josiahflaming
user: Josiahafk
By Bismarck.Josiahflaming 2020-04-07 03:27:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I was travelling internationally last month when this got bad and here near LA got hit pretty bad. Thankfully I didn’t contract anything and I’m technically in Orange County instead of LA county by about half a mile so I can skim past the worst of it and avoid their county lockdowns

Wife is sick though, so we’re quarantining her.

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-04-07 03:41:28
Link | Quote | Reply

kireek said: »

Nobody is attacking the 5g towers or 5g cable installers because of corona virus directly.

In the UK we are doing a massive billion dollar deal with a major China owned company to install 5g in our nation, it's an act of rebellion by certain people in our nation against them and our government for doing that. It is disgraceful our government is doing such a massive business deal with Communist China

Well, here in the USA we got a certain kind of special who DOES believe that 5G towers are activating a dormant virus that's been spread through GMOs.

Hooray freedom of information- even the stupid information.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-04-07 08:10:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Odinz said: »
Basic Logic - No.
You present a false dilemma fallacy as an argument. These are not the only two exclusive outcomes.
Both increased reporting, and increased occurrences could both be the case. Probability dictates that the opposite of what you said is true, due to the very nature of news, and context.
There is a lot more supporting evidence such as history and previous controversial political environments where minorities have been targeted, to give a healthy assumption what you are saying is wrong.
Fine, you're right. We're in the middle of a global pandemic and people are dying. But the most important thing to do is point the finger at others and call them racists, and argue over what side is doing a worse job handling the pandemic.
Feel free to keep doing that. I'm going to go plant a garden.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-04-07 08:50:48
Link | Quote | Reply

But the most important thing to do is point the finger at others and call them racists,
Didn't you know? COVID-19 is apparently racist now.

So says one of the major "network" news.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-04-07 09:00:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draugo said: »
Ummmm:

39 reported cases, 6 of which in my city

Also, my county is under "stay at home" orders. Which is ok because I'm retired and my job is basically fiddling on the computer all day.
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-04-07 12:15:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Looks like my county had it's 1st death 3 days ago. Was a previously confirmed case, lady in her 50's. 3 of the 8 confirmed cases are said to be recovering.

The article mentions that she was confirmed, died in the hospital, and WAS NOT receiving treatment, so that is an odd detail. Doesn't say wether or not she was refusing treatment? Our local hospital is pretty notorious for shitty medical treatment though.

Edit: I have yet to go scouting the grocery stores for more supplies, this morning my work instituted a 2nd measure. Originally all non essential workers, who can work from home, were told to do so, at the same time a mandatory hand washing set-up right at the entrance. Now each day they are checking temperature, if you are running a fever you are sent home. I guess my social distancing is paying off so far. 98.6 baby!
By Viciouss 2020-04-07 12:29:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Our case count increased to over 500 today, don't think any new deaths.
By volkom 2020-04-07 12:32:59
Link | Quote | Reply

friend from the north east is sick ~ but his doctor won't test him but they think he has the virus :| i don't understand the thought process behind that
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-07 12:33:21
Link | Quote | Reply

https://ncov2019.live/data

Another GLORIOUS Ironic case, definitely need a compilation when all this is over.
Quote:
Israel health minister, who claims coronavirus is ‘divine punishment’ for homosexuality, tests positive for COVID-19
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-04-07 12:34:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Is that just compared from yesterday? Or over the weekend?
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-04-07 12:37:22
Link | Quote | Reply

If these numbers are accurate, confirmed vs. recovered, only 20%. That is not under control at all.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-07 12:38:58
Link | Quote | Reply

The kid who made that site is just a collection of all other sites up to date data. It's as accurate as it can be.

And clearly it's not under control in the slightest. This is still the theoretical apex week.

Idiots were holding mass yesterday. Short of literally shooting stupid people... it can't be contained.
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-04-07 12:41:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea I believe that it's as accurate as can be. It's too bad we may never know the exact count. As someone said a couple posts up, the testing is not happening. I doubt all the deaths are getting counted also. I would bet at this point all countries are fudging some numbers to various degrees.
First Page 2 3 ... 52 53 54 ... 129 130 131