Can i conduit it?
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2020-03-10 04:42:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
Can i conduit it?

If you do it right...maybe? Velkk's for a lot of debuffs, but if you can lock it into Edict spam, then should go down fine.
[+]
 Cerberus.Hideka
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Hideka 2020-03-10 08:34:02
Link | Quote | Reply

it didnt look too bad to be honest. am i missing something? it looks just like a normal tank and spank ambu month; particularly one that something like SCH PLD GEO BRD COR XXX would excel at?
 Asura.Aldolol
user: Aldolol
By Asura.Aldolol 2020-03-10 10:21:36
Link | Quote | Reply

The key seems to be killing the BLM Velkk quickly enough to get the boss to only level up once so that you can do 50k damage on the boss to kill it.

Still seems stupid to have content like this is a game that has damage cap of 99k but meh, could be Moogles or Sahagin again
 Shiva.Dayone
Server: Shiva
user: day1
By Shiva.Dayone 2020-03-10 10:24:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Hideka said: »
it didnt look too bad to be honest. am i missing something? it looks just like a normal tank and spank ambu month; particularly one that something like SCH PLD GEO BRD COR XXX would excel at?

I didn’t do the last one but I’m also confused at the level up thing. Like, should we avoid using our strongest WS or do we need to hit 5% Edict lock?

Watched Eijin’s video and seemed very simple BLM > MB > Other 2. But then triggering LVL up with something like torcleaver spam could result in too much LVL up?
By Aquatiq 2020-03-10 10:25:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Is this the month that people sell runs for 2m per
 Cerberus.Hideka
By Cerberus.Hideka 2020-03-10 10:27:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Aldolol said: »
The key seems to be killing the BLM Velkk quickly enough to get the boss to only level up once so that you can do 50k damage on the boss to kill it.

Still seems stupid to have content like this is a game that has damage cap of 99k but meh, could be Moogles or Sahagin again

i think its to discourage people from only using DD that can push stupid numbers (SAM WAR DRK DRG), and to encourage the lighter jobs to shine a bit. E.G. RDM with a full melee set could probably shine this month since they can do a pretty solid fixed 30-40k sanguine blade with a cor/geo setup, and have pretty damn good white damage with crocea.
 Shiva.Dayone
By Shiva.Dayone 2020-03-10 10:36:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Aldolol said: »

i think its to discourage people from only using DD that can push stupid numbers (SAM WAR DRK DRG), and to encourage the lighter jobs to shine a bit. E.G. RDM with a full melee set could probably shine this month since they can do a pretty solid fixed 30-40k sanguine blade with a cor/geo setup, and have pretty damn good white damage with crocea.

That’s cool, focus on fast DPS without spike dmg, so something like (I’m DRK minded lol) Catastrophe spam which is very consistent (mid 20s) and very fast dmg would be a good approach?

Or is it max DPS on the BLM ignoring any limits, then switch to sub 50k on the MB then back to max DPS once MB is dead?
 Asura.Sirris
user: Safiyyah
By Asura.Sirris 2020-03-10 10:51:55
Link | Quote | Reply

This month is horrible to heal. Without Yagrush I think this was an Afflatus: Misery month? He has a hate reset. He has lots of debuffs. You have to stack on the boss so you'll get hit by his AoEs. It's not very fun.
 Asura.Aldolol
user: Aldolol
By Asura.Aldolol 2020-03-10 10:53:25
Link | Quote | Reply

You want to max DPS the BLM so that you can push 50k on the MB, things like Fudo > Savage Blade should never SC enough to push over 50k so spam to your hearts content.

DRK may be at a disadvantage here as Torc can quite easily hit over 50k with minimal buffs, but I am sure you can maybe adjust the GEO Bubbles/BRD buffs to ensure this doesn't happen and make the run a bit safer.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2020-03-10 11:14:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, Fudo seems like a supremely risky thing. Why not just switch to non-Doji Shoha and have absolutely no chance to SC and cross that threshold. RUN takes off Lionheart for the same reason... No SCs, not chance at all that you SC when Edict isn't up. Sure, Shoha does a bit less damage, but worth it to guarantee you don't "accidentally" level up the boss right?
By Heck 2020-03-10 12:01:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Using Monk subtle blow strat, takes about 10-15 minutes on VD.

RUN/BLU, MNK, MNK, YagWHM, iGEO, 4BRD

RUN runs in flash Big boss, runs back quick to avoid bind. WHM silences BLM. Kill BLM mob > Big Boss (ignore adds except RUN tries to maintain hate on them), then finish trash mobs. If no YagWHM, a good WHM is an esuna set and -50DT set works okish. WHM will be tanking some of the trash so keep stoneskin/aqua up as much as possible since hate reset is prevalent. Bring Remedies/Echos.

Marchx2, Mad, Minuet
Indi-Fury, Geo-Wilt
WHM Auspice, always reapply if removed. Curaga/Erase Spam mostly
Monk Hybrid DT set, VS spam
RUN can use WS set, just watch out.
[+]
 Shiva.Xelltrix
user: Xelltrix
By Shiva.Xelltrix 2020-03-10 12:54:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I used Esuna build for like the first half of the month last time Velkk was out and finished my Yagrush halfway through. Yagrush was obviously better as I could more easily remove debuffs but Esuna style wasn’t too much worse either. I actually still liked staying in Misery mode that month since some of the AoEs still hit me at max casting range anyway. And Esuna was still useful to get different debuffs at the same time. Biggest draw was being able to put in MEVA set on whm with Yagrush if you want to avoid Para.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-03-10 13:04:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I did VD earlier and noticed the boss still levelled up when I did wsd beyond 40k. This was with the BLM dying within a minute. Still manages to level up unless you're purposely keeping damage low, which takes forever to kill
 Shiva.Dayone
By Shiva.Dayone 2020-03-10 13:50:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
I did VD earlier and noticed the boss still levelled up when I did wsd beyond 40k. This was with the BLM dying within a minute. Still manages to level up unless you're purposely keeping damage low, which takes forever to kill

Thanks, does the level up effect really impact survivability or reduce damage? Or is it something that’s pretty easy to handle given you aren’t just trying to level it up constantly?
 Bahamut.Belkin
Server: Bahamut
user: Belkin
By Bahamut.Belkin 2020-03-10 13:53:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Dayone said: »
Lakshmi.Buukki said: »

Thanks, does the level up effect really impact survivability or reduce damage? Or is it something that’s pretty easy to handle given you aren’t just trying to level it up constantly?

His evasion becomes the issue after repeated level ups.
By Afania 2020-03-10 14:04:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sirris said: »
This month is horrible to heal. Without Yagrush I think this was an Afflatus: Misery month? He has a hate reset. He has lots of debuffs. You have to stack on the boss so you'll get hit by his AoEs. It's not very fun.

I vaguely recalled healing that month wasn't so bad but everyone seem to complain about needing a yag.

About getting hit: WHM should always have DT in all of the casting ring/neck/back/ammo slot in endgame frontline heal IMO. It's not quite hindering to use DT in those slots and it make frontline healing so much easier. Frontline healing is much faster than backline most of the time....even with yagrush.
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2020-03-10 14:11:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I kinda feel like Hideka is on the right track.

Also relevant: stacking up a lot of Meva (maybe even paired with Vex and/or Attunement) is probably more viable now than it was in 2018, to significantly reduce the debuff headaches. Remember that we have much better Meva gear these days than most people were using the last time this Ambuscade was on: Malignance, Volte, Sacro body, even stuff that existed but wasn't necessarily used as much (or as widely owned) back then: Inyanga +2, some Su3 sets like Turms or Kendatsuba, etc.

Kinda wonder if jobs that can equip a lot of Meva and do comparatively better white damage (as opposed to getting a super high % of damage from big WS) would fare quite well as DDs this month. Jobs like MNK, THF, NIN wearing Malignance or Su3 gear and maybe Empy weapon for AM3 white damage, Croc/Su4 RDM, etc.
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2020-03-10 14:42:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally I'm just using SV/Bolster for fights and resetting in Mhaura. 6 min VDs is nice. I knew I remembered this fight not being that difficult. Was wondering what people were getting all upset about, lol.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Ziekwalt
Server: Carbuncle
user: Eirza
By Carbuncle.Ziekwalt 2020-03-10 14:44:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Aquatiq said: »
Is this the month that people sell runs for 2m per
You wish!!
 Cerberus.Hideka
By Cerberus.Hideka 2020-03-10 14:50:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »

Also relevant: stacking up a lot of Meva (maybe even paired with Vex and/or Attunement) is probably more viable now than it was in 2018, to significantly reduce the debuff headaches. Remember that we have much better Meva gear these days than most people were using the last time this Ambuscade was on: Malignance, Volte, Sacro body, even stuff that existed but wasn't necessarily used as much (or as widely owned) back then: Inyanga +2, some Su3 sets like Turms or Kendatsuba, etc.

Kinda wonder if jobs that can equip a lot of Meva and do comparatively better white damage (as opposed to getting a super high % of damage from big WS) would fare quite well as DDs this month. Jobs like MNK, THF, NIN wearing Malignance or Su3 gear and maybe Empy weapon for AM3 white damage, Croc/Su4 RDM, etc.

with Malignance set + Addle II, a well geared and prepared RDM/NIN is probably going to be incredibly good on this month. set up for magic damage for debuffs so the RDM and cor can abuse their magic ws's.

RDM can hit pretty bonkers levels of magic evasion right now. i was able to Duo neak with a geo no problem because of how stupid its gotten.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Belkin
By Bahamut.Belkin 2020-03-10 14:52:25
Link | Quote | Reply

We were able to do this as a 5-man group party on VD.

PLD/BLU
GEO/WHM - Buffs included Barrier, GEO-Frailty, and entrust Attunement
BRD/RDM - Buffs included Honor March, Victory March, Minuet 5, Madrigal 2 and Ballads for PLD and GEO
COR - Buffs were SAM and Chaos rolls
SAM

Couple things worth mentioning at start up. Everybody but the PLD should be standing pretty far off to the side at the initial pull. Big hoss has AoE bind on his auto attacks that will thwart DD plans. PLD will use Fealty BEFORE pulling, go in and grab aggro, pull them back as far into the corner as possible. When PLD is in position and the BLM is fiddle dicking around in the back, that's when DD's move in to fight the BLM.

We ran into the BLM mob using some ridiculous Plague/Curse/Paralyze move a couple times, but it only happened twice out of maybe 10 runs. Not sure what triggered it, but PLD's fealty should at least protect the PLD from it -- he is the most important part of this strategy.

After BLM is dead (he melts), do big hoss next. After dying painful deaths several times, we theorized that Croctastrophe is similar to Odin's Zantesuken X where it's just checking your defense against his attack to determine if it's doing THE BIG DAMAGE or not. Indi Barrier (with an Idris), paired with a Bio2 from the BRD seemed to mitigate the damage completely. If one of those was missing, it was typically bad news and people would get splatted.

COR and SAM attack from the back (which is less than ideal for SAM for obvious reasons), because multi-dispel is conal. We tried to limit damage and SC frequency, but we really couldn't determine what caused him to use Nobless Oblige. It seemed pretty random, but I'm still thinking it's related to doing X amount of damage in x amount of time. Regardless, if you crank enough damage out, you keep pushing him into Sovereign's Edict instead of Oblige. It wasn't often that Oblige spam completely ruined a run. The DD should be ready with high accuracy TP/WS sets for when it comes to that, because his evasion is what really becomes the problem as he levels up.

The PLD is leaning heavily on Majesty here. In all of your downtime, you should be spamming cure 3 and 4. Everybody should be huddled together directly behind big hoss (you can't outrange any of the big TP moves anyway). Majesty cures should be hitting everybody every time. Edict is hate reset, but a majesty cure4 will immediately get hate back. Spam flash on big hoss, use other JA's at appropriate times, cure 3/4 in any/all downtime otherwise. Save your TP for chivalry if necessary. Bring echo drops.

Have the GEO drop a fat barfire to help mitigate amnesia. High magic evasion TP set is highly recommended. You will have a hard time resisting AoE amnesia otherwise.

Honestly, that SAM could be interchanged with any number of DD that have a high m.eva hybrid set. So anything with Malignance, Kenda+1, the WAR/DRK volte gear, etc.

After big hoss is dead, the other two are still a pain in the butt. They will spam multi-dispel TP moves on the tank and also strip him of his sword and shield. But at that point, you've all but won, so its just annoying more than threatening.

Couple things worth mentioning. First, you can elemental seal sleepga the DRK and PLD adds. It drastically cuts down on the chaos that PLD/GEO/BRD have to heal through. Those two adds are real weiners in terms of nagging you. They will only TP a couple times while you fight the big hoss, but its enough to be stupid and annoying. Sleeping them is a big relief. For a sixth person, a RDM/BLM would be cool.

If you want to relieve pressure on the PLD you can get a WHM. If you have a RUN, you absolutely need a WHM. If you use the setup above, I honestly think you can keep the WHM on the sidelines and go for RDM, another GEO, or another DD. The TP feed to the Velkk boss DOES NOT MATTER. He will get locked into two TP moves anyway -- Edict & Oblige. You can feel free to pile on DD as long as they have good m.eva sets.
 Bahamut.Belkin
By Bahamut.Belkin 2020-03-10 14:53:55
Link | Quote | Reply

with Malignance set + Addle II, a well geared and prepared RDM/NIN is probably going to be incredibly good on this month. set up for magic damage for debuffs so the RDM and cor can abuse their magic ws's.

RDM can hit pretty bonkers levels of magic evasion right now. i was able to Duo neak with a geo no problem because of how stupid its gotten.

Every time he uses Sovereign's Edict, he gets a 15 second magic shield. Leaden was hot garbage even when the shield wasn't up.
 Cerberus.Hideka
By Cerberus.Hideka 2020-03-10 14:55:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Belkin said: »

Every time he uses Sovereign's Edict, he gets a 15 second magic shield. Leaden was hot garbage even when the shield wasn't up.

HMMMMMMMMM good point.

tho i'm reading that Sleep, bind, Gravity, and virtually every debuff works in here. RDM could probably hold all the Adds with Sleep/bind/gravity if the reports are correct. not to mention silences for everyone.
First Page 2 3 4 5