Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » Discrete Graphics Cards
Discrete Graphics Cards
 Carbuncle.Tyleron
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Tyleron
By Carbuncle.Tyleron 2020-02-17 07:30:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I travel a bunch and looking for a laptop that is super light that will run FFXI (ideally let me 2 box).

I have always heard that discrete graphics cards (I am specifically looking at MX 150) had a hard time with ffxi. Anyone know if it will work well?

Looking at https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-14-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-512gb-ssd-royal-blue/6391843.p?skuId=6391843
 Leviathan.Isiolia
Server: Leviathan
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2020-02-17 08:09:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Tyleron said: »
I have always heard that discrete graphics cards (I am specifically looking at MX 150) had a hard time with ffxi. Anyone know if it will work well?

Discrete GPUs tend to do well with FFXI. The issue you tend to run into in laptops is that most are utilizing switchable graphics (nVidia Optimus), and end up just using the integrated GPU. Using dgVoodoo or atom0s's DirectX proxy will make Windows see FFXI as something worthy of utilizing the discrete GPU for.

I would think that the MX 150 (mobile GTX 1030) should be fine for XI. The main thing I'd consider is how well the laptop is designed for sustained loads (though XI really barely rates as that for modern hardware). Thin and light hardware tends to be very engineered around bursts of performance.
[+]
By Butcherb0y 2020-02-17 08:26:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I had thus scenario. I bought an acer nitro 5 ran like a turtle but installed dgvoodoo and ran like a rabbit. I believe that any laptop that have an optimus will run like ***. G sync laptop runs like a rabbit for ff11 as well without installing dgvoodoo.
 Bahamut.Negan
Server: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2020-02-17 08:37:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Isiolia said: »
atom0s's DirectX proxy
I didn't know about this! Thanks!
By Jetackuu 2020-02-17 08:56:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean I wouldn't go with a 14" but I can't stand a non-full keyboard.

But yeah, you'll want a dgpu and need some sort of effective proxy.
[+]
By Fyx11 2020-02-18 14:55:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Butcherb0y said: »
I had thus scenario. I bought an acer nitro 5 ran like a turtle but installed dgvoodoo and ran like a rabbit. I believe that any laptop that have an optimus will run like ***. G sync laptop runs like a rabbit for ff11 as well without installing dgvoodoo.

Can you elaborate on the GSync? I have one and my game still kinda stutters.
 Asura.Elizabet
Server: Asura
user: Elizabet
By Asura.Elizabet 2020-02-18 15:11:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Just make sure you set the use of gpu correctly in windows display settings > Graphic Settings, (Scroll down) for POL and Windower.
 Leviathan.Isiolia
Server: Leviathan
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2020-02-18 15:22:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Fyx11 said: »
Can you elaborate on the GSync? I have one and my game still kinda stutters.

Essentially... G-Sync and Optimus are not compatible. In an Optimus setup, the video output is always being run through the Intel graphics. The nVidia GPU is more of a co-processor that the displays are never actually connected to.
Meanwhile... G-Sync requires communication between the nVidia GPU and proprietary nVidia chip in the monitor. Until recently, only over Displayport. Other variable refresh setups are similar.

Tl;dr, a laptop doing G-Sync is connecting the display(s) directly to the discrete GPU by necessity.

It's still possible that you have other performance issues with that sort of setup, it's just eliminating the common hurdle of switchable graphics just using the Intel graphics.
 Asura.Aeonova
Server: Asura
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-02-18 16:34:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
I mean I wouldn't go with a 14"

[+]