Upgrading My Laptops Cpu.

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » Upgrading my laptops cpu.
Upgrading my laptops cpu.
By BlaTheTaru 2019-10-28 20:42:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Im looking to see if I can upgrade my laptops cpu. What information would I need and where is the best place to look? I know my chipset is an intel r 100 series/230 but I can't find any information on an upgrade. Any help would be appreciated.
 Asura.Frod
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Frod 2019-10-28 20:58:19
Link | Quote | Reply

laptops are largely disposable hardware. you're not going to be able to upgrade it much, if at all.
 Asura.Beatsbytaru
Server: Asura
By Asura.Beatsbytaru 2019-10-28 22:37:40
Link | Quote | Reply

That sounds like a terrible idea.

Go for it
[+]
 Shiva.Zerowone
Server: Shiva
user: Zerowone
By Shiva.Zerowone 2019-10-28 22:41:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Well you need to get a motherboard to match your chip.
Problem with laptops is getting a mobile motherboard, cpu and heat sink that will fit...

Honestly just buy a new laptop.
By Jetackuu 2019-10-29 02:34:06
Link | Quote | Reply

BlaTheTaru said: »
Im looking to see if I can upgrade my laptops cpu

The answer 99% of the time is no, and the few times where you COULD upgrade in the same family (swap an i3 with an i5 of he same socket) it assumes a lot starting with that the cooling of the laptop can even support the added heat, the battery would support the added draw, the configuration of the system by the manufacturer for all the above (hell the mobo may be even locked) that's assuming it's a socket at all and not a bga chip, and that you can even find a replacement that is worthwhile.

You're better off buying a new/used laptop with the specs you desire.

As for what you posted, I may be a bit rusty on mobile intel chipset specs but I'm pretty sure r100/230 isn't a chipset. You also can't find any information on an upgrade as it's not a supported procedure.

About the craziest thing you can do with a laptop is utilize a nvme slot and adapter to have a full video card but even then I'm pretty sure you're limited by the bus bandwidth and won't get full speed out of it, and obviously makes it less mobile. (There's also thunderbolt adapters, etc). But those are GPU related, not CPU.

tl;dr don't, buy a new.