First Page 2
 Ragnarok.Rosky
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Rosky
By Ragnarok.Rosky 2019-09-24 17:01:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi All,
I am a returning player and I am looking to get a new PC. I currently play on a laptop but I would prefer to play on a PC with a larger screen. I am thinking of at least dual boxing and possibly multi boxing to complete a lot of game content. I am not tech savvy and I am concerned FFXI will not work on some of the newer computers.
I would like to know who has bought a new PC lately, what type of PC and how it worked with FFXI or if they needed to go in and change files etc. I have looked at HP and gaming computers as well as some other computers. I am interested in doing other things on the computer as well as gaming.
I am thinking of going to Best Buy to get an HP or one of the performance computers. Thank you so much!
 Asura.Meliorah
Server: Asura
user: DatGoose
By Asura.Meliorah 2019-09-24 19:17:13
Link | Quote | Reply

If you are educated enough to snap lego pieces together, use a screw driver and look up videos on youtube you could probably save yourself a lot of money and just build your own pc and actually land with a good gaming pc.

For FFXI itself pretty much anything is going to work for compatibility, if my 1080ti handles the game fine I imagine the 2000 series would work fine and whatever amd puts out.

Whatever you do and whatever you get is going to work just fine.

If you want to build a computer yourself I'd look up a video or two, they're usually about 12 minutes long and give decent detail and head over to https://pcpartpicker.com and pick out some parts, it will prevent you from picking things that are incompatible with eachother and then just purchase and wait.

Good luck OP.
 Asura.Frod
By Asura.Frod 2019-09-24 19:20:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Shop at best buy if you're an idiot that wants to pay 150%-200% more for a 5+ year old build.

Pick a budgeted amount and shop around, or if you feel adventurous, use a service like pc parts picker and build your own with some guidance.
 Lakshmi.Avereith
Server: Lakshmi
user: Lilianna
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2019-09-24 19:41:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to like logical increments for ideas, but I don't know if that's a thing anymore
By Draylo 2019-09-24 21:33:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Just buy one on Amazon and save yourself the headache.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0757FV6Y4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got that, but there is a newer version. Works perfectly and I can have multiple instances of XI and XIV open and 0 lag.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2019-09-24 22:27:08
Link | Quote | Reply

If you want to build a pc there's multiple videos on how and whatnot, or you could just buy a used business PC and throw a newer video card in it and make sure it has a ssd and you should be good.
By Jetackuu 2019-09-24 22:27:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
Just buy one on Amazon and save yourself the headache.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0757FV6Y4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got that, but there is a newer version. Works perfectly and I can have multiple instances of XI and XIV open and 0 lag.

I'm sorry.
By Draylo 2019-09-25 02:17:10
Link | Quote | Reply

So you advocate buying a used crap PC instead of one that is highly reviewed on Amazon. Ya, we get it, you're cool for building a PC (not) I've been using this for over a year and had 0 problems with it outside of Dgvoodoo with FFXI, which is nothing to do with the PC. Play all my games on max settings, etc.

Not everyone has the time and patience to build a PC to be a revered super nerd.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2019-09-25 02:21:02
Link | Quote | Reply

So you advocate buying a used crap PC instead of one that is highly reviewed on Amazon. Ya, we get it, you're cool for building a PC (not) I've been using this for over a year and had 0 problems with it outside of Dgvoodoo with FFXI, which is nothing to do with the PC. Play all my games on max settings, etc.

Not everyone has the time and patience to build a PC to be a revered super nerd.

No I advocate not buying overpriced junk. I never said to buy a crap PC, but I see that reading comprehension is still lacking in these parts.

You definitely don't play "all the games on max settings" with that video card, L o *** L.
By Draylo 2019-09-25 03:31:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I keep multiple instances of XI/XIV on at max settings, yes. "Max" set in XIV, and dgvoodoo with all the various tweaks for XI. I keep the PC on 24/7 and have encountered 0 problems with it. I also record and edit videos while the game instances are still up, no lag. The OP is asking about FFXI and peoples experiences. You just had to quote me and add your snarky nerdy edge to it because it wasn't a built PC.

Yes go build a PC if you aren't at all familiar with doing it, because the cool kids all do it. Not to mention installing all the crap later and the maintenance. Go watch a 30m Youtube video and frustrate yourself when he says he isn't tech savvy, lol.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2019-09-25 05:00:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been building my own PCs for the past 25 years and I'm OCD with that, but I've tested Draylo's PC personally and it's fantastic.

Not everyone wants to bother with building their own PC. If you don't then solutions like Draylo's PC are quite awesome if you ask me.
Not every pre-built PC is as good as that one, price is nice too!
By Jetackuu 2019-09-25 07:28:09
Link | Quote | Reply

You just had to quote me and add your snarky nerdy edge to it because it wasn't a built PC.

Not at all, just cyberpower is junk. Again you obviously can't read as I totally suggested he go a different route.

Asura.Sechs said: »
I've been building my own PCs for the past 25 years and I'm OCD with that, but I've tested Draylo's PC personally and it's fantastic.

Cool story

price is nice too!

If you want to believe so.
By Jetackuu 2019-09-25 07:30:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Try not to be such an edgelord Draylo, you assume way too much.
 Leviathan.Isiolia
Server: Leviathan
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2019-09-25 07:54:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes go build a PC if you aren't at all familiar with doing it, because the cool kids all do it. Not to mention installing all the crap later and the maintenance. Go watch a 30m Youtube video and frustrate yourself when he says he isn't tech savvy, lol.

If you're at all familiar with troubleshooting and upgrading PCs anyway, then building your own really isn't much of a stretch. It can be a bit of a leap to buy a pile of parts over an assembled rig, but that first build tends to instill confidence. Most folks I've observed or helped through that process tend to keep building.

That being said, there's nothing inherently wrong with buying a prebuilt either. The kneejerk reaction against it, for gaming rigs, can be understandable. Plenty of oddly prioritized configurations and high profit margins to wade through. Doesn't mean you can't find good machines in there, it just means applying knowledge of hardware differently.

Cyberpower seems generally good. I haven't bought a desktop from them (I enjoy the process of building it myself), but my experience buying a laptop directly from them was great.

I would say that, if going with that integrator, go to their site rather than to Amazon. For one, they let you configure quite a lot on machines, to the point that you may just be paying them a little extra to assemble the parts you would have bought anyway. Or just let you swap in a key part or two you want.
Additionally, you may get a more up-to-date build or pricing/promotions. Lotta cheap add-ons that are well worth it (the $5 mechanical keyboard is excellent for instance).

Maybe, say, start with this https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Battlebox-2019-Syber

I would then swap up to the Ryzen 5 3600 (also maybe to 16GB of DDR4/3200). That'd be largely better than the config linked on Amazon, for a bit less money.

Since they often do list exactly what part they're using, you can also price it out by component and see how much extra you're spending for them to build/support the machine. If that matters to you.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Rosky
By Ragnarok.Rosky 2019-09-25 09:20:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi All,
Thank you for all the help and suggestions!
First off, I am a girl! My ex, who started playing FFXI on my Ps2 for the launch got me playing on a pc. He is a web master and tech junky. I let him handle all things computer because he loved it. Now I wish I would have paid attention...

I actually do not have much time or knowledge to build a pc. I am sure I could learn and build it, probably without too much trouble. But I am more interested on getting my hands on something prebuilt just to get on with things quickly. I will research that because I like a challenge and building things. I have thought of doing this before. It will be a project to do someday but not anytime soon.

Draylo, thank you so very much the suggestion, I am going to look into that because I want to have multiple windows open, make and edit videos and do the stuff you are doing. It will be a multi function PC. I am sorry the Tech Junkie and you got in a conflict over differences of opinion. My ex could be that way...

Other posters, thank you so much for your suggestions. My new project will be to master computer building and all it takes to get it up and actually running...maybe at the beginning of the year when things slow down.

Fight monsters, not each other!!! Play on!

Rosky
[+]
By Meeble 2019-09-25 10:14:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Not everyone wants to bother with building their own PC. If you don't then solutions like Draylo's PC are quite awesome if you ask me.
Not every pre-built PC is as good as that one, price is nice too!

^ this. I'm not a fan of the neon red aesthetic, and some of the choices seem odd, but it's not a ripoff. You're basically paying a ~$100 premium for someone to pick parts, assemble them, and install windows. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Qhs2FG

If you're interested in learning how to build PC's, the tech report builder's tutorial is an excellent place to start.
https://techreport.com/review/23624/how-to-build-a-pc-the-tech-report-guide/
By Draylo 2019-09-25 18:08:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Isiolia said: »

If you're at all familiar with troubleshooting and upgrading PCs anyway, then building your own really isn't much of a stretch. It can be a bit of a leap to buy a pile of parts over an assembled rig, but that first build tends to instill confidence. Most folks I've observed or helped through that process tend to keep building.

That being said, there's nothing inherently wrong with buying a prebuilt either. The kneejerk reaction against it, for gaming rigs, can be understandable. Plenty of oddly prioritized configurations and high profit margins to wade through. Doesn't mean you can't find good machines in there, it just means applying knowledge of hardware differently.

Cyberpower seems generally good. I haven't bought a desktop from them (I enjoy the process of building it myself), but my experience buying a laptop directly from them was great.

I would say that, if going with that integrator, go to their site rather than to Amazon. For one, they let you configure quite a lot on machines, to the point that you may just be paying them a little extra to assemble the parts you would have bought anyway. Or just let you swap in a key part or two you want.
Additionally, you may get a more up-to-date build or pricing/promotions. Lotta cheap add-ons that are well worth it (the $5 mechanical keyboard is excellent for instance).

Maybe, say, start with this https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Battlebox-2019-Syber

I would then swap up to the Ryzen 5 3600 (also maybe to 16GB of DDR4/3200). That'd be largely better than the config linked on Amazon, for a bit less money.

Since they often do list exactly what part they're using, you can also price it out by component and see how much extra you're spending for them to build/support the machine. If that matters to you.

Had no idea you could do that, I think I would have went that route lol.
By Jetackuu 2019-09-25 20:10:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Rosky said: »
I actually do not have much time or knowledge to build a pc.

Then get a used business PC and have a decent video card added, it will be the best bang for your buck and you won't be wasting money on an overpriced machine with sub quality components. Those prebuilt "gaming PCs" look/sound nice but really they're just flashy budget PCs (think walmart) with 1-2 half decent components, apparently that exact one has a problem with the psu being cheap very common on prebuilts).
[+]
 Leviathan.Kingkitt
Server: Leviathan
user: kingkitt
By Leviathan.Kingkitt 2019-09-25 20:52:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not all that savy with ***, but youtube and smart people guided me with building my pc. I built it this past winter, and only spent $800. Here is a link to my parts list if you want something to look at: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4DZdyX

With this setup I have ran multiple instances of the game while running Adobe Photoshop and/or InDesign. No complaints yet
[+]
 Asura.Aquatiq
user: Aquatiq
By Asura.Aquatiq 2019-09-25 21:20:32
Link | Quote | Reply

If you want a source for parts I usually stalk https://slickdeals.net/
Always read the comments, always take things with a grain of salt, but it's super rare that any deal above a +40 is shitty/fake, as the users self-moderate incredibly well. Sort of along the lines of reddit, not saying either of them are infallible but it helps you narrow down your focus in a wide-open world of online shopping.
 Ragnarok.Rosky
By Ragnarok.Rosky 2019-09-25 21:44:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you all for the help!
Isiolia’s PC post looks very promising. Thank you!

I didn’t realize there was so many options and so many people building their own computers. I really appreciate all the advice. You all are very knowledgeable and smart. Thank you again!
 Bahamut.Shozokui
Server: Bahamut
user: Shozokui
By Bahamut.Shozokui 2019-09-26 03:18:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello!

There are a few decent system integrators. All these integrators have different pros/cons. I'd stay away from HP Omen, Alienware, and Origin PC. DigitalStorm, iBuyPower, Maingear are out front for overall "quality". The problem with these comes with the backend ~ tech support, shipping issues, etc. The problem with all these is that $1500 doesn't go nearly as far as if you put in the effort to hunt down a deal on your local market or assemble the parts yourself.

If your budget is lower than $1000~$1500, I'd look at used PCs on Craigslist and Facebook Market in your local area. The most important things for FFXI to run smoothly are CPU and Memory. My previous PC had a i7 3770k with 8gb of memory and run up to 4 windows above 30fps. If you find some options, I'm sure there are a few of us that can say whether it will run FFXI well or not, just post them here. My old PC is like 10yrs old now, otherwise I'd offer to sell. That thing's days are numbered...
[+]
 Bismarck.Sabertiger
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Sabertiger 2019-10-05 11:48:29
Link | Quote | Reply

You don't need a great computer to run FFXI, or even 2-3 instances of FFXI. A very basic GPU can easily handle the game unless you're doing a ton of tweaks and mods for graphics. The game is mainly CPU bound and while having a higher end CPU is great for doing other things like recording/editing/streaming video, playing newer games, etc. it really isn't necessary for FFXI. Hell, when I started playing on PC I was running the game on an original Pentium IV (NOT hyper-threaded, mind you), and it ran ok. You can spend $800 or $8000 on a new PC these days and guess what? FFXI will run pretty much the same. The only advantage to higher end hardware will be your ability to run more instances of FFXI smoothly or do other tasks as I stated earlier.

Rosky - What are your other uses / goals for the computer? Do you do any video recording/streaming/editing? My biggest concern on most pre-built gaming machines is for some reason, a lot of them tend to skimp on the power supply. They'll use some off-brand unit that JUST barely meets the power requirements. The one Isiolia posted at least allows some customization before you buy. If you choose pretty much anything other than the "standard power supply" you should be fine. Personally, I like corsair for their reliability and warranty, but that choice is yours. The "Bronze" and "Gold" certifications are only talking about peak efficiency ratings. Gold will run at a higher load with more efficiency, meaning less power loss, which is more about keeping your electricity bill a little lower than anything else.

At any rate, feel free to message me with any questions and I'll do my best to answer.

My most recent build:
 Valefor.Yandaime
Server: Valefor
user: Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2019-10-05 12:55:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Slightly off topic. What bandwidth does FFXI pull?
The reason I ask is because I like to play console shooters when stuff isn’t happening on FF. Console shooters only need around 5000kbs and I’m using a cheap Verizon plan (ha)internet while I’m working out of town. 100 Megs up/down... so how on earth is my console bandwidth showing 2,300~ (this game will show you)when FF is running with only 1 Character? Like.... it can’t pull that much right???

Disclaimer:
Console and PC are both Connected via Ethernet Cable
My shooting game and console have all related ports forwarded
DMZ is not applied
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2019-10-05 13:12:25
Link | Quote | Reply

15 KB/s covers healing as WHM during events with no problems. This game uses hardly any data at all.
[+]
 Valefor.Yandaime
Server: Valefor
user: Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2019-10-05 14:28:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Huh.. I’ll have to look into it then, maybe it’s how the POS Gateway router they give out handles bandwidth sharing...

Game is BO4, I went with the basic package because it’s just me so 100M up/down should be plenty but with FFXI logged in and literally only ffxiah.com on the web browser I’m dinged all the way to 2500KB? *Scratches Head* Internet is weird...
 Bismarck.Sabertiger
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Sabertiger 2019-10-05 16:04:09
Link | Quote | Reply

As Aeonova stated, FFXI uses hardly any bandwidth. The game was originally designed to be played over old 56k dial-up connections, because back in the early 2000s when it launched, well, that was what a lot of people had.

So the game is reporting you are sitting at like 2,300KB bandwidth? It could be the game/server/their network. I'd recommend running external speed tests, you have multiple options:
Speedtest.net
Fast.com (hosted by Netflix)
Ubiquiti's new speedtest site

And Verizon may even have their own internal speed test site you could hit just to make sure it's not a Verizon only issue.

Another valid test would be to shut FFXI off and see if the game rebounds and reports a higher bandwidth, but I seriously doubt the issue you're seeing has anything to do with FFXI.
[+]
 Asura.Wormfeeder
By Asura.Wormfeeder 2019-10-05 17:29:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Yandaime said: »
Huh.. I’ll have to look into it then, maybe it’s how the POS Gateway router they give out handles bandwidth sharing...

Game is BO4, I went with the basic package because it’s just me so 100M up/down should be plenty but with FFXI logged in and literally only ffxiah.com on the web browser I’m dinged all the way to 2500KB? *Scratches Head* Internet is weird...

Are you getting the 2500 number from the send and receive at the top right corner of game screen?
[+]
 Asura.Meliorah
user: DatGoose
By Asura.Meliorah 2019-10-05 18:14:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's a months worth of data to xi, including the patch. 4 Boxing.
[+]
First Page 2