New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » As a person who played FFXI classic and Wow
As a person who played FFXI classic and Wow
By abknight 2019-08-15 22:13:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Beatsbytaru said: »
abknight said: »
I'm not a JP elitist, the player community and atmosphere was destroyed by the NA release.
^___________________________________________________________________^

It's true. I'm from NA but imported in 2002 and helped lead a couple of international LS. The atmosphere of the server went from feeling quiet and orderly, to a complete madhouse overnight when NA version released. I've never heard anyone provide a legitimately good reason for combining the populations.
By abknight 2019-08-15 22:19:38
Link | Quote | Reply

DirectX said: »
Clearly NA players talking about "original XI" are going to be talking about the game they played after it was released in NA and not before.

But NA version isn't original XI. Everyone had the same opportunity to import the original game. NA players started with the first expansion a year and a half after the original game released. Besides, another UK player further up in the thread referenced the original 50 cap game.
 Shiva.Phioness
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Phioness
By Shiva.Phioness 2019-08-15 23:58:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm from NA but imported in 2002 and helped lead a couple of international LS. The atmosphere of the server went from feeling quiet and orderly, to a complete madhouse overnight when NA version released.
"Look at me I'm original, a FFXI snobby purist who lives in fantasy land of 2002 and am special because I imported the game"

Everyone had the same opportunity to import the original game. NA players started with the first expansion a year and a half after the original game released. Besides, another UK player further up in the thread referenced the original 50 cap game.
The VAST majority of the population played during NA release that was the premiere date of FFXI, only a select small few imported it, congrats your special, here's your gold star for being part of the few who imported.

Why don't you show us your modern character and your journey through the game from past to present. Hiding behind a wall of a character we know nothing about leads me to the conclusion that your making a point behind a veil of ignorance & cowardice. Your not special in that we have seen your kind here before: This person who has no modern FFXI accomplishments nor experience and lives in Nostalgiaville.

I will say it once again:
Those who wish for the old have not been on this long journey (see their post #'s and lack of gameplay). They cannot appreciate 'what is', because they are stuck in 'what was'.
 Asura.Beatsbytaru
Server: Asura
By Asura.Beatsbytaru 2019-08-16 00:03:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not a JP elitist, the player community and atmosphere was destroyed by the NA release.

It's true. I'm from NA but imported in 2002 and helped lead a couple of international LS. The atmosphere of the server went from feeling quiet and orderly, to a complete madhouse overnight when NA version released. I've never heard anyone provide a legitimately good reason for combining the populations.
It's not. The NA community got better once they finally abandoned JP customs.and came up with efficient ways to play this game.
[+]
 Odin.Senaki
Server: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2019-08-16 00:50:22
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not. The NA community got better once they finally abandoned JP customs.and came up with efficient ways to play this game.

Both the NA and JP are amazing and absolutely suck in their own ways.

The NA favor capitalist approaches to make content give the most effort / reward if possible. This leads to mercing, RMT, kicking weaker players, etc. But it also makes them incredibly self driven. NA players also tend to be more welcoming towards different cultures and won't bar EU, JP, or other players from participating in content for the most part.

The JP are close to the most racist people possible. Go to Japan. As a foreigner in Japan you face will wide spread discrimination. This is because Japan is close to a 98% homogeneous Japanese population. Which translates to the game as 'JP onry'. On the plus side, the JP culture is that of respect for ones peers. So they will go out of their way to help you once you're in their knot (say invited to a party or made a friend).

Basically, pros / cons.
By Dazusu 2019-08-16 05:42:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Phioness said: »
Those who wish for the old have not been on this long journey (see their post #'s and lack of gameplay). They cannot appreciate 'what is', because they are stuck in 'what was'.

I've played since NA release as a European player. I still play today. I still prefer 2009-2013 era of the game -- for me personally, that was the better game.

Number of posts on this forum don't mean ***.
[+]
By Shichishito 2019-08-16 05:51:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Dazusu said: »
how dare you sir.
By Dazusu 2019-08-16 06:01:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
Dazusu said: »
how dare you sir.

(´・`)
 Shiva.Phioness
By Shiva.Phioness 2019-08-16 06:58:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I think people who miss a certain era of a game, don't miss the gameplay necessarily, but the community around the gameplay. Many of them currently lack a linkshell/discord/teamspeak group that works towards goals not only for the group, but helps each individual on their paths towards personal goals of gearing jobs that they have fun playing outside group content. These people may feel isolated and don't keep it positive, motivated, and dedicated to a group that reciprocates these attributes.

That's why current content is not fun for them because they don't have friends who enjoy the journey with them to make the game fun. Its an MMO for a reason, to group up with like-minded people who make your journey enjoyable and get exited by tackling that next tough foe. Caught up on content or bored of repetition: do what I do and play FFXIV (or any other game to mix it up).

I run with a group using TS and a group who just /p chat, and feed off their excitement of that next piece of epic loot. We gain-exp together, farm Dynamis-D and take on the new Primes. Its fun for us because we appreciate each other and have been here for the long term (15 years in some cases)

My advice to those who may not have the above is to find a group who makes the game fun, otherwise retire from the game and move on, no one likes a Debbie-Downer who speaks of the days of old like it was fkn amazing. We've heard this line before, talking of golden era, each one with a gripe and opinion. Your opinion is nothing new, nor will there be a sense of catharsis you seek.
[+]
By Dazusu 2019-08-16 08:19:03
Link | Quote | Reply

You, sir, are a master troll. I take my hat off to you.
[+]
 Asura.Vienner
By Asura.Vienner 2019-08-16 12:09:15
Link | Quote | Reply

If SE doesnt give us some new candy soon, this whole discussion will be pointless anyways. Gets a bit boring doing the same thing over and over for the last 2 or 3 years now (how long ago did they add omen?), without much change.
 Odin.Senaki
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2019-08-16 12:19:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Vienner said: »
If SE doesnt give us some new candy soon, this whole discussion will be pointless anyways. Gets a bit boring doing the same thing over and over for the last 2 or 3 years now (how long ago did they add omen?), without much change.

They literally just have us new high tier battles. Have you gotten all of the gear from that already?
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-08-16 12:23:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Senaki said: »
They literally just have us new high tier battles.
None of that ***is worth doing. There aren't even shouts for it lol.

Mediocre ammo, mediocre cape, mediocre hat for a job no one "plays", lolhammer, mediocre body, ring for lolpets

People won't even merc it. You know it's REALLY bad if you can't even find mercs for it lulz.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2019-08-16 12:28:42
Link | Quote | Reply

The gear from the new HTBF are sidegrades at best. They are certainly not BiS.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2019-08-16 12:50:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
The gear from the new HTBF are sidegrades at best. They are certainly not BiS.

uhhh what?

Freke Ring
Gere Ring
Cath Palug Crown
Cath Palug Ring
Cath Palug Earring
Sacro Gorget
Sacro Breastplate

These are all BiS for different sets on jobs I focus on. I'm not sure on all the other pieces, but even if they are sidegrades there are plenty of good and useful pieces.

quit yer whinin' already! you're starting to sound like Eiryl :P
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2019-08-16 13:23:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Blame Josi, he told me that!
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Vienner
By Asura.Vienner 2019-08-16 15:04:28
Link | Quote | Reply

So much hate for content I dont want to do cause no one does it in my ls and I dont really need the gear for the two jobs I actually play :(
...Also I wouldnt really call HTBF "content" its just an instance I think is a must in an MMO, I mean....I want something HUGE.

Well thats not gonna happen anytime soon, so atm just login in to do dyna once a week.
By abknight 2019-08-18 01:56:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm from NA but imported in 2002 and helped lead a couple of international LS. The atmosphere of the server went from feeling quiet and orderly, to a complete madhouse overnight when NA version released.
"Look at me I'm original, a FFXI snobby purist who lives in fantasy land of 2002 and am special because I imported the game"

Everyone had the same opportunity to import the original game. NA players started with the first expansion a year and a half after the original game released. Besides, another UK player further up in the thread referenced the original 50 cap game.
The VAST majority of the population played during NA release that was the premiere date of FFXI, only a select small few imported it, congrats your special, here's your gold star for being part of the few who imported.

Why don't you show us your modern character and your journey through the game from past to present. Hiding behind a wall of a character we know nothing about leads me to the conclusion that your making a point behind a veil of ignorance & cowardice. Your not special in that we have seen your kind here before: This person who has no modern FFXI accomplishments nor experience and lives in Nostalgiaville.

Yikes, what a charming attitude. I've rarely seen such defensiveness and wildly inaccurate assumptions before, let alone from one factual statement and one observation from 16 years ago. I'm sure you and your 2019 fun-fun pals are a blast to do modern content with :D
By abknight 2019-08-18 02:03:38
Link | Quote | Reply

So your argument is that the original server atmosphere was not affected by the NA release because, after some period of time post-NA release, the NA community decided to completely ignore JP customs and continue to do their own thing. Truly genius logic.
 Shiva.Phioness
By Shiva.Phioness 2019-08-18 04:43:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Yikes, what a charming attitude. I've rarely seen such defensiveness and wildly inaccurate assumptions before, let alone from one factual statement and one observation from 16 years ago. I'm sure you and your 2019 fun-fun pals are a blast to do modern content with :D

You come across as a snob dude, you've lost your original character (2004?) and didn't pick game back up til 2010, and have only been posting on forums since 2017. Lots of gaps and lots of missed eras, so your claim that era you love so dearly is best is an argument from ignorance. Wonder how much (if any) progress you have on group content and/or friends to play with considering you hide behind a veil of anonymity and ignorance.

So your argument is that the original server atmosphere was not affected by the NA release because, after some period of time post-NA release, the NA community decided to completely ignore JP customs and continue to do their own thing. Truly genius logic.

ROFL YOUR A WEEBO!!! LOLS dude this made me fkn laugh soooo hard I fkn had tears. I think if Hironobu Sakaguchi told you to lick his t@^#t your tongue would extend sooo far out Gene Simmons would have to sue you for trademark infringement.

My 1st case of Japanese Racism occured as a 25 thf in Yuhtunga Jungle, JP dude booted me out of party to allow a lvl 25 Japanese thf (only person i've kept on my blist). Also had problems with a Ninja JP tank who kept moving when i tried to trick attack onto him to the delight of his JP buddies. The NA community does what the NA community does, posts 'firsts' before the JP do, and treats the game as a game, not 'business as usual'.

Oh as a Marine who loves punking pictures out I can't help but take a shot at your Avatar:
I'll use these famous words as an outro: "Gamer over man! Game over!"
By abknight 2019-08-18 13:07:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm prior service and highly doubt you were a Marine. They don't make even Marines that dumb.
By swaggernaught 2019-08-19 20:18:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Sandraa said: »
Lets remove the white-knight-uniform for a second.

Classic WoW lv1 to lv 60 was actually a good "RpG" Experiencie. Traveling between small outpost, towns, big cities doing quest at your own phase. People auto-inviting you to complete hard quests, a good sense of the community and decent end game.

Classic FFXI. Was more about social skills forcing you to create your own parties. Once the party was ready you was fighting vs ELITE-MOBS/IT so the gameplay was a lot more fun than classic-wow you was soloing "decent-challenge" mobs all time. Then the end game FFXI had sky, dynamis, sea, einherjar, ZNM, HNM, KSNM99, limbus, Nyzul a lot more variety even you put classic wow, burning crusade and lich king togheter lol.

So for Leveling exp lv 1 to 60 i prefer Classic-WoW and for End game i prefer classic FFXI

Classic wow had MC onyxia ZG AQ 20 Aq 40 BWL NAxx, thats alot for level 60 lets not forget pvp and ganking too, you cant say Classic ffxi or Classic wow is better they are totally different games, Normal dungeons and prequests?
By ScaevolaBahamut 2019-08-19 22:30:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Negan said: »
I just cant wait for Classic Burning Crusade!

I'm getting depressed just thinking about listening to the Shattrath music on headphones in a dark room at 130 AM on a Wednesday.
By Mookies 2019-08-19 22:50:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I dislike the need for scripting gear swaps too. But that's no reason to discount the progress 11 has made over the years and the fact that they continue to regularly update the game.

It's pretty clear the game is now being designed with these swapping scripts in mind even if they're not officially endorsed. I wish they'd make a viable gear swapping mechanic themselves instead of us having to use scripts that don't always work or cause crashes. The system they currently have really only covers the very basic of gear swapping needs.
[+]
By swaggernaught 2019-08-20 05:54:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Mookies said: »
n mind even if they're not officially endorsed. I wish they'd make a viable gear swapping mechanic themselves instead of us having to use scripts that don't always w
one of the reasons i actually quit FFXI, its not enjoyable anymore,

anyway favorite track in classic wow

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Asura.Shiraj
user: Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-08-20 07:17:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Mookies said: »
I dislike the need for scripting gear swaps too. But that's no reason to discount the progress 11 has made over the years and the fact that they continue to regularly update the game.

It's pretty clear the game is now being designed with these swapping scripts in mind even if they're not officially endorsed. I wish they'd make a viable gear swapping mechanic themselves instead of us having to use scripts that don't always work or cause crashes. The system they currently have really only covers the very basic of gear swapping needs.

You obviously have never played current FFXI outside of your mog house if you believe this.
Everything in the game is doable with equipsets. People use gearswap/scripts as an excuse to say that they are required. Get over it and learn the game.
If SE still had only macro lines to equip gear, then sure, but no, they have equipsets capable of swapping entire sets at once. HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE statement to claim the current game was made based around scripting gearswaps if you've never actually played current FFXI outside of your mog house.

If you did play FFXI outside your mog house you would understand how HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE your statement sounds.
 Odin.Creaucent
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2019-08-20 07:57:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Sandraa said: »
Lets remove the white-knight-uniform for a second.

Classic WoW lv1 to lv 60 was actually a good "RpG" Experiencie. Traveling between small outpost, towns, big cities doing quest at your own phase. People auto-inviting you to complete hard quests, a good sense of the community and decent end game.

Classic FFXI. Was more about social skills forcing you to create your own parties. Once the party was ready you was fighting vs ELITE-MOBS/IT so the gameplay was a lot more fun than classic-wow you was soloing "decent-challenge" mobs all time. Then the end game FFXI had sky, dynamis, sea, einherjar, ZNM, HNM, KSNM99, limbus, Nyzul a lot more variety even you put classic wow, burning crusade and lich king togheter lol.

So for Leveling exp lv 1 to 60 i prefer Classic-WoW and for End game i prefer classic FFXI

Half those endgame activities were 3 expansions in so hardly "classic".