We Are Adding Some New Major Content In 3 Years...

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » We are adding some new major content in 3 years...
We are adding some new major content in 3 years...
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
By emiledge 2019-03-18 13:13:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Ever had a girlfriend you wanted to break up with but you did not have the balls, so you acted a fool in hopes she break up with you? This is what SE is doing. They don't have the balls to just end the game so they doing all they can to get people to quit but ffxi fans will play this game forever and ever and ever until the universe collapses on itself!
[+]
 Carbuncle.Bukadan
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: bukasmith
By Carbuncle.Bukadan 2019-03-18 13:16:06
Link | Quote | Reply

<<Boost>> recast 3 Years.
[+]
Administrator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Idiot Boy 2019-03-18 18:17:50
Link | Quote | Reply

As long as we're pointlessly speculating, let's not forget a couple of things:

- Naoki Yoshida is the head of Business Division 5, which covers all of Square's online offerings
- He's been on the record for a long time as being a HUGE fan of FFXI
- Nexon as a company has always put out some dubious work and has had no shortage of internal turmoil (especially lately)

Now, I'm not suggesting anything along the lines of ARR. But XI is a numbered Final Fantasy title and he has both a tremendous amount of influence and authority within the company and an uncompromising vision for the things he loves (even if people don't always agree with that vision). If that Nexon game isn't a masterpiece, it's never getting the green light to be released.

My long shot hot take is that we never see that Nexon game (or if we do, it's a side story type thing and not a full on replacement). Instead, we get some combination of QoL improvements, graphical updates, and some kind of open ended endgame designed to let the game coast on autopilot even longer.

I think we get that because SE doesn't want to close the doors on FFXI, and because they want to figure out how to truly put an MMO into a sustainable autopilot before that day comes for FFXIV. ARR was almost six years ago; it's not an old game but development cycles are measured in years and they have a perfect opportunity to try some things out here ahead of time.

/end hot taek
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2019-03-18 19:46:00
Link | Quote | Reply

DID SOMEBODY SAY TETRA MASTER????
[+]
By kishr 2019-03-18 19:46:11
Link | Quote | Reply

BD5 covers more than online offerings.
It's the division for Ff14, ff11, dq and new projects.
Consists of designers, planners, programmers, project managers, marketing and web.
https://www.jp.square-enix.com/recruit/career/group/5bd/

Last summer I was offered a gig to work on Ff11 in the visual design department here in tokyo but turned it down for a different job with much higher pay and they were only offering short term contracts.
The Ff11 gig was for story development and effects and bg modeling.
Would of been fun but oh well,job I turned it down for I'm still working at as a modeler/animator, so I chose wiser than go short term work on that.
[+]
 Asura.Byrne
Server: Asura
By Asura.Byrne 2019-03-18 19:48:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Makes sense, it's like lower risk simulacra for what's to come with the big money maker.

I can't say that if I were in charge of the online products of the Final Fantasy franchise, that I wouldn't use Final Fantasy XI as a safer playground to test things. It has a smaller, more loyal fan base, so you're less likely to lose people when you mess up, and even if you do lose people, it won't be many.

Kind of cynical to look at it that way, but still accurate nonetheless.
[+]
user: voiceless
By Asura.Swaggernaught 2019-03-18 20:07:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Mikumaru said: »
If they make us wait 3 years for Emp armor 2/3 I'm going to be disappointed. And Escha/Reisenjima is iLv Abyssea, they have stated before.
it works nothing like abyssea tho
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-03-18 20:08:45
Link | Quote | Reply

For all intents and purposes it's identical to abyssea. Hyperinflated ***, with temp items, vorseals = crour buffs + atma (just not as OP), force pop NMs.

Doesn't mean they can't make a literal abyssea upgrade though. Which again, I don't really see how they don't do that. Their hands are kind of tied. if they make another timed/lock out brand new event for emp+3 I can't see people not being pissed off.

Then again you guys eat that ***up. So you'd probably love another twice a week event that you have to do. (have to meaning if you don't go you lose an event)
[+]
Administrator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Idiot Boy 2019-03-18 20:22:01
Link | Quote | Reply

kishr said: »
BD5 covers more than online offerings.
It's the division for Ff14, ff11, dq and new projects.
Consists of designers, planners, programmers, project managers, marketing and web.
https://www.jp.square-enix.com/recruit/career/group/5bd/

Last summer I was offered a gig to work on Ff11 in the visual design department here in tokyo but turned it down for a different job with much higher pay and they were only offering short term contracts.
The Ff11 gig was for story development and effects and bg modeling.
Would of been fun but oh well,job I turned it down for I'm still working at as a modeler/animator, so I chose wiser than go short term work on that.

That's good to know. Thanks! I had been under the impression that BD5 was just online stuff, but I probably gathered that from it containing FFXI, FFXIV, and DQX (which are their major online presences).

Asura.Byrne said: »
Makes sense, it's like lower risk simulacra for what's to come with the big money maker.

I can't say that if I were in charge of the online products of the Final Fantasy franchise, that I wouldn't use Final Fantasy XI as a safer playground to test things. It has a smaller, more loyal fan base, so you're less likely to lose people when you mess up, and even if you do lose people, it won't be many.

Kind of cynical to look at it that way, but still accurate nonetheless.

I don't think it's quite as cynical as that (though I'm sure that's part of the calculus). Given Yoshida's on the record comments about the future of XI (both now and previously), he's pretty committed to not just keeping what they've got in terms of playerbase, but expanding (the refriender was his thing, etc). It's anyone's guess how successful any of that would or even could be, but nothing they've said of late has been anything other than full throated support for keeping things going (even if it's with a diminished staff).

We talked about this a bit on Dan's podcast, and I gave an answer to a question at the time about "nah, they'd never see the ROI for a real revamp, won't happen". I still don't think it will happen, but this new timeline definitely raises an eyebrow about what the real future is going to be.

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Hyperinflated ***

I miss Legion.
By kishr 2019-03-18 22:18:58
Link | Quote | Reply

https://www.jp.square-enix.com/recruit/career/
Near the bottom is breakdown of their divisions.
Many other online games are in other divisions,
With basically everything online now adays, hard to throw all their games into the online box.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By kishr 2019-03-19 01:23:01
Link | Quote | Reply

https://www.ffgm.jp/information/InformationDetail?id=1993

Ff11 for phone after 3 years of service ends at the end of April.
FF type 0 for phone ended awhile ago also.
[+]
By nashred 2019-03-22 10:40:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Finbar said: »
nashred said: »
Honestly when I was reading it I was thinking a special event for the last year of FFXI and the end. I actually think this maybe close to what it is.

20 years is a long time and what a perfect time to end it.
You don't think Rhapsodies of Vana'diel - the expansion that tied together (sloppily) all the other expansions - wasn't a good time to end it? As they implied it would and later regretted shooting themselves in the foot?

Actually I did at the time yes.
I was thinking it would be best instead of letting the game have a slow death. I was wrong the game has been doing pretty good and some people still enjoy it.

I still would like to see a end instead of a slow bleed.
Game is not doing bad right now though and as long as it does I see not reason to pull the plug.

I would love to see a last month event if they ever do announce a end. Have some fireworks, a parade or something the last day before the servers go dark. A last day to say goodbye to friends, have that last walk through Jeuno. I would come back for this.

I stopped playing a few months ago but still follow the game.
I do come back occasionally.. The game will always hold a place in my heart. Was my favorite game of all time. I met my girlfriend in the game too. I feel the pull to come back all the time. Just every time I do I am disappointed with what it has become. Maybe I just need a more populated server. I am a social person and this game is not as much as it used to be.

I thought about a classic server but the game is starting to feel old and I am not sure I want to do everything over again. I play FFXIV but I hate the vertical progression. FFXIV and FFXI are also starting to feel very similar.
By Shichishito 2019-03-22 10:56:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I would love to see a last week event if they ever do announce a end.

it be awesome if they banned all the cheaters they currently won't ban cause of the extra cash, preferably timed right after they made the payment for the final month.
[+]
By nashred 2019-03-22 10:59:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »

it be awesome if they banned all the cheaters they currently won't ban cause of the extra cash, preferably timed right after they made the payment for the final month.

I never understood cheating.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-03-22 11:04:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »

I never understood cheating.

lulwut? what's not to understand.
By nashred 2019-03-22 11:06:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Caerda said: »
emiledge said: »
Ever had a girlfriend you wanted to break up with but you did not have the balls, so you acted a fool in hopes she break up with you? This is what SE is doing. They don't have the balls to just end the game so they doing all they can to get people to quit but ffxi fans will play this game forever and ever and ever until the universe collapses on itself!

Dumbest ***ever written. What company would want to alienate profit? Makes no sense that you think that is what they want. FFXI will be around as long as it is profitable and it still is.

Agreed SE would not do that, I mean why? Makes no sense.

I do think some people are afraid to quit a game they have played for so long. It would leave a hole in their life. They do not know what to do with themselves. I left the game for several months sometime before Abyssea came out. I was lost. A few friends talked me into coming back. These friends hated Abyssea and left.
By Asura.Swaggernaught 2019-03-22 11:26:38
Link | Quote | Reply

its ok they will bring a 75 server, am joking dont *** about it ok?
 Asura.Maphesto
user: Maphesto
By Asura.Maphesto 2019-03-22 11:44:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm calling it now, Empy+3 placed behind Pankration and Monstrosity wall!
By volkom 2019-03-22 12:19:26
Link | Quote | Reply

einherjar rework
[+]
 Valefor.Ophannus
Server: Valefor
user: Ophannus
By Valefor.Ophannus 2019-03-22 13:34:09
Link | Quote | Reply

The FFXI storyline is largely finished. There aren't really many unanswered questions left. If they made a new expansion, I wonder what the theme would be?

My ideal would be an offline version of FFXI. Similar in concept to FF Explorers, but on a grander scale. You'd have AI party members and you go through the entire game's story expansion by expansion. Spells and skills would be balanced to fit single player experience.

When they end FFXI, they need to leave behind something that players can pick up in 12 years. They can't close off and make an entire numbered FF game impossible to play for generations to come. They only thing they can do is create an offline analog so other players in the future don't have to miss out on XI's story/gameplay. Sure it won't capture the same essence of camraderie and community, but it would be an entirely open world, sandbox FF game. Like an FFXI-Skyrim hybrid. You could have generic NPC party members and later get main story NPCs following you around as party members, like Trust NPCs, but the real thing not a copy.
[+]
By nashred 2019-03-22 13:45:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Ophannus said: »
The FFXI storyline is largely finished. There aren't really many unanswered questions left. If they made a new expansion, I wonder what the theme would be?

Well if they were adding story it could always be something like WOG that is set in the past or side story expanding on one of the early expansions.
By Wordspoken 2019-03-22 15:45:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Another thing to think about, is they have three years to work with the current dev team. How much can they do in that time? Not full expansion, but new map/maps, quests, endgame activity kinda thing. More than enough for an add-on level worth of content, they even teased of adding an add-on in some interview, didn't they?
By Elyana 2019-03-22 15:57:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, here's my hope.
Empy +3 comes out over the next ~3 years.
The 20th anniversary introduces Ultimate JSE armor.
It requires all 3 +3 items, and is reforged by trading one of them to Oboro.
He opens a Masters Trial style Battlefield fight against Aspect of Promathia and Aspect of Altana (obviously not full-on Altana since that would end our little world.)
The battle takes place in a new BCNM called Forge of the Gods.
After winning, you are introduced to the Armorer of the Gods, Oboro himself (now it makes since why he's such an arrogant little ***.)
He will either reforge 3 pieces of JSE +3 into an ultimate form or take any single piece up 1 level: AF 109 -> AF 119, AF +1-> AF +2 etc.
It would have to include bad choices like trading a level 60 piece of artifact gear gets you the level 70ish artifact +1.

The ultimate pieces would be called Crystal <Artiface/Relic slot name>: ie RDM heads are Chapeaus, WAR feet are Calligae, etc.
Attributes would be the highest attribute on the +3 pieces +10% (rounded down) of the other two pieces totals.
When you check the pieces, they'll be high, but not off the chain high.
Example: If they follow the same rate of growth as artifact/relic, Empy +3 WAR body would have 38 STR. Artifact has 40 STR, and Relic has 36. 40 would be the base + 10% rounded down of 38 (Empy +3) and 36(Relic +3). If you round then add you have 46 STR and if you add then round you have 47 STR. In either case it doesn't blow the doors off.

All unique stats and bonuses carry over and duplicates do the same as attributes.
For example: PLD Artifact has DT -11%, Relic has DT -12%, Empy has none. The crystal would have DT -13%. (12 + 10% of 11 rounded down)

It would give us an ultimate armor set finally using the FF super high end "Crystal" adjective.
[+]
By Asura.Swaggernaught 2019-03-22 16:01:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Ophannus said: »

My ideal would be an offline version of FFXI. Similar in concept to FF Explorers, but on a grander scale. You'd have AI party members and you go through the entire game's story expansion by expansion. Spells and skills would be balanced to fit single player experience.

When they end FFXI, they need to leave behind something that players can pick up in 12 years. They can't close off and make an entire numbered FF game impossible to play for generations to come. They only thing they can do is create an offline analog so other players in the future don't have to miss out on XI's story/gameplay. Sure it won't capture the same essence of camraderie and community, but it would be an entirely open world, sandbox FF game. Like an FFXI-Skyrim hybrid. You could have generic NPC party members and later get main story NPCs following you around as party members, like Trust NPCs, but the real thing not a copy.

we never went to the male mithra land w/e its called or the far east outside of reisinjima is a fragment of what it was no?
or the orc land that we were shown in SOA CS isint there supposed to be more 2 big reigons?
By Afania 2019-03-22 16:06:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Swaggernaught said: »
we never went to the male mithra land

I did :D

It's called FF14 :D
[+]
By Arona 2019-03-22 16:32:49
Link | Quote | Reply

They're going to move XI over to the same engine that XIV uses so that the they'll only need 1 dev team for both MMOs.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Cua
By Cua 2019-03-22 19:43:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Caerda said: »
You don't just move a game to a different engine. Programming doesn't work that way. It would cost millions to do it, FFXI doesn't bring in that type of revenue to make that happen.

Does ffxi even make a million a year? I've always been curious at the current sub rate. Maybe 10k subs a month? 14k?
By Teumessianfox 2019-03-22 22:41:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Based on their financials on this game, it's very profitable. Does it make enough for an overhaul? Nope. BUT! It makes enough for the game to go another 10 years at most. The only thing I see truly happening to this game is making an offline mode or Free2Play on one might big server.
[+]