Forum » FFXI » General » Level 4 Skillchain Damage
Level 4 Skillchain Damage
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2019-01-21 08:16:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I was playing around with level 4 skillchains. and the Skillchain damage is really nice.

Looking at BG wiki I see alot of information describing how to make a level 4 skillchain, but I don't see anything on how the damage is calculated.

I am referring to the damage chart showing level 1, 2 step dealing 50% closing ws damage up to the level 3, six-step skillchain dealing 225% of the closing ws's damage.

Does a level 4 skillchain fit into this table at all?

Has anyone tested this out? I did some searching here an on bluegartr but haven't found it.
 Fenrir.Niflheim
VIP
Server: Fenrir
user: Tesahade
By Fenrir.Niflheim 2019-01-21 08:46:07
Link | Quote | Reply

The bgwiki says this under level 4:
Level 4 Skillchains (Level 4 Darkness and Level 4 Light) are created by combing two Level 3 Skillchain properties and are functionally the same as Level 3 Skillchain except that they cannot be continued further.

Level 4 has the same damage scale as level 3.

unless by level 4 you mean Umbra and Radiance?
 Asura.Akaden
Server: Asura
By Asura.Akaden 2019-01-21 09:40:51
Link | Quote | Reply

If we are talking about Ultimate skillchains (Umbra/Radiance), remember that aftermath gives a bonus to skillchain damage. It's up to 10% if you gain AM3. And ranges between 5% to 9% for 2000-2999.
What I don't know is if it's calculated as Skillchain Bonus (trait) or Skillchain damage (equipment stat). Since they're both ambiguously named and are factored at different steps in the calculation.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2019-01-21 10:39:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, ofcourse I mean Radiance and Umbra.

let me give an example.

I was using my Tri-edge on Bst. I put up am3 with Ruinator, then Closed with Chomp Rush to make Darkness, then hit another Ruinator for Umbra.

My closing Ruinator was around 14k Damage. The Resulting Umbra was around 54k Damage.

That scale is alot greater than what the level 3 pattern would indicate, even with a 10% bonus.

It was a 3 step skillchain. level 3 > level 4
The skillchain damage was approximately 3.8 x the closing weaponskill damage.

target was apex eruca. so perhaps the elemental damage had an effect (weak do darkness and ice). however, even if I multiply by 1.5 for a 3-step skillchain (level 3) or 1.75 for a 4 step skillchain (level 3) and then a 25% or 50% elemental bonus for mob weakness and then a 10% bonus for level 4.. it falls short of the actual damage I'm doing.

I can look for targets and go do some testing. I'm simply asking if the testing has been done, because I don't see it and the numbers do not fit existing patterns.
 Sylph.Brahmsz
Server: Sylph
user: Khronos
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2019-01-21 11:45:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Doing a 3-step double Darkness (Umbra) with AM3 up will calculate into the Skillchain multiplier (as well as the bonus from Aftermath). Sorry I don't have a direct answer. Doing a 3K TP Runinator > 1K TP Ruinator, and then doing a 3-step like you did previously should give you a reasonable baseline to work with.

Although it's been a while since I've tried it myself, 2-step Umbra or Radiance aren't particularly spectacular so most of the damage seems to come from skillchain multiplier in my experience. Which is kind of what Aeonics were designed around anyhow.
By SimonSes 2019-01-21 12:20:34
Link | Quote | Reply

EDIT: Deleted what I think is not important after all

Anyway when you talk about Umbra and Radiance, just say you talk about Umbra and Radiance.

Lastly information are there on bg wiki.
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Umbra

Quote:
For a two-step Umbra, the Skillchain damage is roughly twice the final Weapon Skill damage before resistances or bonuses.
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2019-01-21 13:19:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Niflheim said: »
Level 4 has the same damage scale as level 3.

It's +1.0 multiplier above a level 3 at the same step level. So a 4 step Radiance would have a 2.75 SC multiplier instead of the level 1.75 from a regular level 3. For a two step Radiance, the multiplier would be 2.0 instead of 1.0 like normal.