New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Endgame » Unafraid of the Dark
Unafraid of the Dark
First Page 2
By Spoiled 2018-11-30 02:12:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi!

I have a group working on clearing master trials, we are at a little bump in the road with Unafraid of the Dark.

Every video I have seen, the WHM evades the Yaguado's sweep, without taking any damage and evading the stun that comes along with it, however we cannot find that perfect spot to where sweep doesn't hit our whm, and we end up dying from the lack of cures due to the whm being stunned. Anybody who has won Unafraid, whats the trick for the Yaguado?
By geigei 2018-11-30 02:40:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I wasnt playing the whm but i remember we got instructions from him to reposition, we fought at door, mob in between us. Some stun go off tho.
By Spoiled 2018-11-30 13:10:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Bumping hoping to get some more insight. Thanks~
 Quetzalcoatl.Haxxor
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Haxxor
By Quetzalcoatl.Haxxor 2018-11-30 13:51:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Is your whm using serpente armor? Positioning should be melee#1/tank runs bird into a wall, turn to face, melee#2 opposite and then your whm behind melee#2 at 21.5. Use curaga's and yagrush na's, targeting melee#2. Move in/back to best position for single target stuff. If it doesn't work out, there's a bst strategy too

Should be using an idle like this
ItemSet 357826
source on set;Leviathan.Comeatmebro
[+]
By Afania 2018-11-30 13:54:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Spoiled said: »
Hi!

I have a group working on clearing master trials, we are at a little bump in the road with Unafraid of the Dark.

Every video I have seen, the WHM evades the Yaguado's sweep, without taking any damage and evading the stun that comes along with it, however we cannot find that perfect spot to where sweep doesn't hit our whm, and we end up dying from the lack of cures due to the whm being stunned. Anybody who has won Unafraid, whats the trick for the Yaguado?

If your whm can't avoid stun have brd cor/whm stay back, run in and cure for oh ***moments, run out.
By Chimerawizard 2018-11-30 14:09:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't remember it, but if it's just stun you're worried about.
https://www.ffxiah.com/search/item?&description=Resist%20Stun&level[0]=99#adv
Got an Onca suit?
 Bahamut.Nebohh
Server: Bahamut
user: Kealohaa
By Bahamut.Nebohh 2018-11-30 14:26:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh wow. Didn’t think about the Onca suit and Tantalic cape. Everything else has been incorporated. We were using a full inyanga +2 set with MEVA food etc. Even had the COR give runeist rolls and still occasionally stunned.

What was the max range for stun? 20 yalms?
By Afania 2018-11-30 14:30:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Nebohh said: »
Oh wow. Didn’t think about the Onca suit and Tantalic cape. Everything else has been incorporated. We were using a full inyanga +2 set with MEVA food etc. Even had the COR give runeist rolls and still occasionally stunned.

What was the max range for stun? 20 yalms?

Afaik onca suit isn't better than inya +2 set for idle because the resist stun is just meva+ against stun no?
 Bahamut.Nebohh
By Bahamut.Nebohh 2018-11-30 14:37:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, that’s the only problem really: having the WHM avoid being stunned to cure.
 Ragnarok.Lockfort
Server: Ragnarok
user: Terazuma
By Ragnarok.Lockfort 2018-11-30 14:39:11
Link | Quote | Reply

carrier's sash and warder's charm +1
By Afania 2018-11-30 14:41:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, that’s the only problem really: having the WHM avoid being stunned to cure.

What I mean is that, several tests showed that Onca suit doesn't really resist stuns. You may have better chance to resist them with inya+2.
 Siren.Attaxia
Server: Siren
user: Attaxia
By Siren.Attaxia 2018-11-30 14:58:37
Link | Quote | Reply

If you can't seem to range it, you might be better off having everyone stack (iirc that's the way I did that portion of the fight), that way you can top everyone off quicker.

Bare in mind that though you may idle in a lot of resist/meva, you will quite often drop your guard when you swap gear for spells and actions.

Also barthunder and even thunder carols (pianissimo'd on WHM) are an option if you still feel you need to increases resistance without compromising dps by using a COR roll.
 Bahamut.Nebohh
By Bahamut.Nebohh 2018-11-30 14:59:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Gotcha. Already been using inyanga +2. I’ve noticed with entrust attunement, stuns weren’t a problem. Interesting choice for sash and charm. We’ll look at that and try it. Thanks!
 Bahamut.Nebohh
By Bahamut.Nebohh 2018-11-30 15:01:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Attaxia said: »
If you can't seem to range it, you might be better off having everyone stack (iirc that's the way I did that portion of the fight), that way you can top everyone off quicker.

Bare in mind that though you may idle in a lot of resist/meva, you will quite often drop your guard when you swap gear for spells and actions.

Also barthunder and even thunder carols (pianissimo'd on WHM) are an option if you still feel you need to increases resistance without compromising dps by using a COR roll.
Can always fold and roll for WHM without affecting DD rolls.
By Afania 2018-11-30 15:11:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Have you try sv thunder carol and killing yag First? Carol can block woc stuns completely so it should work in MT too.
 Bahamut.Nebohh
By Bahamut.Nebohh 2018-11-30 21:49:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I like the thunder carols x2 idea. This is something we haven’t tried yet.
 Bahamut.Shozokui
user: Shozokui
By Bahamut.Shozokui 2018-11-30 22:21:16
Link | Quote | Reply

For the WHM, you position yourself at the max distance from your closest party member. That should be more than 25 yalms from the boss completely evading any AoE. WHM just spams curaga during this fight.

Should your DD not be using Anchor, you need to instruct them to all get knocked the same direction (toward you) so you can hit them with Yagrush erase at the same time to remove gravity.

Finally, Shadows negate just about every AoE on the fight, so you should rarely have to do anything except the occasional unavailable AoE.

Don't waste your much-needed DD bard songs for thunder carols. I guess if you had a spare bard to buff before you entered, that would help. In my experience, the yagudo dies in the first 3 minutes of the fight anyways.
 Asura.Umopepisdn
Server: Asura
By Asura.Umopepisdn 2018-11-30 23:05:17
Link | Quote | Reply

We did yag first, with the extra outside buffs(SCH 2nd cor), and 1hrs it always died in <1min and wasn't even a threat. We also fought it at the top of the stairs so the dds and tank could have their backs to a wall.
 Bahamut.Nebohh
By Bahamut.Nebohh 2018-11-30 23:10:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Umopepisdn said: »
We did yag first, with the extra outside buffs(SCH 2nd cor), and 1hrs it always died in <1min and wasn't even a threat. We also fought it at the top of the stairs so the dds and tank could have their backs to a wall.
When you do this, do you think the elevation difference would allow WHM to avoid being stunned?
 Asura.Umopepisdn
By Asura.Umopepisdn 2018-12-01 11:08:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Umopepisdn said: »
When you do this, do you think the elevation difference would allow WHM to avoid being stunned?

Not sure if height difference played a role, but it can't hurt.
 Sylph.Reain
Server: Sylph
user: dmregm
By Sylph.Reain 2018-12-01 12:15:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
Have you try sv thunder carol and killing yag First? Carol can block woc stuns completely so it should work in MT too.

Old areas and new areas are actually completely different beasts when it comes to resisting. High content level mobs in old areas tend to have obscene levels of magic accuracy to compensate for being level 99 and no +stat/magic evasion vorseals apply.

Ever since Vex/Attunement were fixed resisting stun from Sovereign Behemoth (135) or burn from Sarama (135) or anything from Tumult Curator (145) is substantially harder than resisting Warder of Courage. (~150) except for Bard debuff songs.

I think Unafraid of the Dark falls under old zone rules. I think the best bet is to get positioning down, heavily buff attack (with outside buffers if needed) and drop the yagudo quickly.

That said it's still possible to Lightning Carol the WHM without doing everyone else as someone already said. Also making sure you nocturne or addle too. Entrust attunement is a massive sacrifice I feel. You'll probably want to entrust fury but it depends on your other buffs/debuffs.

Magic evasion is better than resist-stun. I'd only use resist-stun if you know you won't resist or partial resist the stun.

Shrieker's cuffs are a low magic evasion piece. I would use Pinga Mittens+1 or Volte Bracers unless silence is actually a problem.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-12-01 12:55:09
Link | Quote | Reply

In 40+ clears, I've never had to fall back on carols or barthundra. I don't even remember stun being an issue, so either the range is smaller than 22' or you kill so fast it doesn't matter.

Gear inflation made the old master trials pretty damn weak to anyone up to date, if you're really struggling bring a SCH to accession regen5 and embrava outside. I always use bolster fade for the yagudo to take the threat down because it dies extremely fast regardless.
 Sylph.Reain
Server: Sylph
user: dmregm
By Sylph.Reain 2018-12-01 13:02:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it's 20 but I could be wrong. I think it's possible to position better and avoid it. Even if the WHM does get hit your DD should be able to turtle and your Bard cure until the WHM is okay.

The Yagudo is also usually a fairly trivial part of the fight compared to the Quadav if you don't have enough DPS.
 Carbuncle.Papesse
Server: Carbuncle
user: Papesse
By Carbuncle.Papesse 2018-12-01 13:19:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Sweep and Vorticose Sands have a range of 16' there.
By Spoiled 2018-12-02 00:22:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you everybody for your input and ideas!
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [419 days between previous and next post]
By Ruaumoko 2020-01-24 20:56:05
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

Sorry for necrobump but here’s a video of a 10:03 clear with a solid strategy. If people still need this clearing this might prove to be a great way to do it.
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2020-01-24 22:10:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Sad that these are still the hardest content we have. Get it together, SE.
[+]
 Asura.Shiraj
user: Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2020-01-24 22:57:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »

Yup. The only content left is keep re-doing master trials either mercing them or beating personal record times for the fun of it.
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-01-25 00:00:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »

do you foresee content "harder" than current Master Trials involved in gear-related content, or more along the lines of Master Trials that can be seen as "optional" in terms of gear progression?

Since we've moved beyond story related content, the only real reason to release new content is when it is related to new gear, and the only reason to release new gear is to beat new content. Kind of a rough cycle, but I guess one that has served FFXI well for the past 15+ years. Except for the lack of development around new areas/new storylines has caught up with them, putting the game into a bit of limbo at the moment.
First Page 2