Forum » FFXI » General » Guide: Importing FFXI zones into Unreal Engine 4
Guide: Importing FFXI zones into Unreal Engine 4
 Asura.Rhianu
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Rhianu
By Asura.Rhianu 2018-11-01 16:03:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey everybody, I've been working on a little project where I extract zone geometry from FFXI and then reimport that geometry into Unreal Engine 4, and I'm looking for people who might be interested in helping me. I've provided a brief tutorial below explaining the process of how to do it, along with some videos of a few zones I've already done, and a Discord channel to keep in touch. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. ;)

Quick Start Tutorial:
http://ffximodding.blogspot.com/2018/10/quick-start-guide-importing-ffxi-zones.html

Discord Channel:
https://discord.gg/cNJA8vZ

Videos:
YouTube Video Placeholder

[+]
 Asura.Rhianu
By Asura.Rhianu 2018-11-03 22:20:05
Link | Quote | Reply

No comments?
By Weeew 2018-11-04 02:31:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Cool stuff. If you are looking for a response you might try write a bit about why you are doing this and what is your end goal.
 Cerberus.Genoside
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Genoside 2018-11-04 03:19:29
Link | Quote | Reply

What is the end goal of this project? I like what I see, but not being able to play with it in game will not be very helpful for anyone. I feel the best bet would be making a compilations of zones into a video. I think it would be a great video on landing a killer job working for a gaming company but I dont know much about digital rendering.
By shuff 2018-11-04 04:43:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Genoside said: »
What is the end goal of this project? I like what I see, but not being able to play with it in game will not be very helpful for anyone. I feel the best bet would be making a compilations of zones into a video. I think it would be a great video on landing a killer job working for a gaming company but I dont know much about digital rendering.

You're 100% right, bar "killer". These dont really exist in the slaver...I mean videogame industry
 Lakshmi.Chilzen
Server: Lakshmi
user: Chilzen
By Lakshmi.Chilzen 2018-11-04 07:05:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Hot diggity, my dream of seeing Ru'ann Gardens turned into an arena shooter map with jump pads might actually become reality with these kinds of shenanigans going on.
[+]
 Valefor.Yandaime
Server: Valefor
user: Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2018-11-04 07:32:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Damn.. well this just made me think about what an HD Remake of FFXI could potentially look like..

Imagine.. HD Nidhogg, Bahamut or Byakko (Behemoth has already been done and re-ported to Monster Hunter World so already seen that)... Ohhh HD Lufaise Meadows.. Hell, could create and map a proper Pre-War Tavnazia (The Tavnazia that's in the intro-video, not the hole in the ground the survivors were forced to live in after the conflict)

Very interesting and very good work. I wonder where you'll decide to go with this project.
 Asura.Rhianu
By Asura.Rhianu 2018-11-05 00:01:56
Link | Quote | Reply

What is the end goal of this project?
To port all the zones over into the Unreal Engine, and then distribute that to the community to use that as a base for creating a bunch of fanmade spinoff games set in the world of Vana'diel.

Lakshmi.Chilzen said: »
Hot diggity, my dream of seeing Ru'ann Gardens turned into an arena shooter map with jump pads might actually become reality with these kinds of shenanigans going on.
I could actually do that as my next video. Do you know the DAT file location for Ru'ann Gardens? :D
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
Server: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2018-11-05 06:27:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Rhianu said: »
distribute that to the community to use that as a base for creating a bunch of fanmade spinoff games set in the world of Vana'diel.

That sounds really cool man :O
By Bigsmokey 2018-11-05 10:38:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Could you import into the Half Life engine (quake 2 engine I think)? might render out better being that its old graphics with an old rigid feeling engine.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2018-11-05 10:52:11
Link | Quote | Reply

So tempted to make a Killing Floor 2 map with Gusgen Mines.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Rhianu
By Asura.Rhianu 2018-11-05 15:36:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Bigsmokey said: »
Could you import into the Half Life engine (quake 2 engine I think)? might render out better being that its old graphics with an old rigid feeling engine.
That's certainly possible, but part of the goal is to improve the graphics and make it look better, not just recreate the same visuals that the game already has.
 Lakshmi.Chilzen
Server: Lakshmi
user: Chilzen
By Lakshmi.Chilzen 2018-11-05 20:59:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I googled the .dat file locations for XI and hit this thread over on Reddit, since I figure people are documenting the game as it slowly ages.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxioffline/comments/653doh/zone_list/

It lacks the data for Ru'ann and other things, but it does list the location for several of the zones in the game and can stand as a good starting point for sanity's sake.
 Asura.Suteru
user: Suteru
By Asura.Suteru 2018-11-05 21:05:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I had trouble converting Ru'Aun back when I was doing the zones for VRChat, I think it might be set up weird.
 Asura.Rhianu
By Asura.Rhianu 2018-11-05 21:56:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I googled the .dat file locations for XI and hit this thread over on Reddit, since I figure people are documenting the game as it slowly ages.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxioffline/comments/653doh/zone_list/

It lacks the data for Ru'ann and other things, but it does list the location for several of the zones in the game and can stand as a good starting point for sanity's sake.
Yeah, that's actually my topic (look at the usernames). That's also an old version. I've got a newer one here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffximodding/comments/9ndg2d/complete_list_of_zone_dats_by_zone_id/
 Shiva.Liam
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Liam 2018-11-06 00:31:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for putting the tutorial together Rhianu! I had attempted this a while back and had clearly been exporting things all wrong. will share back if I come up with anything cool :)
 Asura.Rhianu
By Asura.Rhianu 2018-11-06 23:28:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Liam said: »
I had attempted this a while back and had clearly been exporting things all wrong.
lol, How were you exporting things?
 Bahamut.Shozokui
Server: Bahamut
user: Shozokui
By Bahamut.Shozokui 2018-11-07 04:34:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Cool beans. Should try your hand at upgrading these zones as well. Increase the poly count or model terrain around the original mesh. Add some high-poly dynamic foliage, volumetric lighting, etc and this would be dope.
 Asura.Rhianu
By Asura.Rhianu 2018-11-07 16:15:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Shozokui said: »
Cool beans. Should try your hand at upgrading these zones as well. Increase the poly count or model terrain around the original mesh. Add some high-poly dynamic foliage, volumetric lighting, etc and this would be dope.
I've actually been doing some texture upgrading, which can achieve amazing results on its own. Normal maps in particular can really improve the look of things even without changing the geometry.
 Bismarck.Xurion
Server: Bismarck
user: Xurion
By Bismarck.Xurion 2018-11-09 12:33:00
Link | Quote | Reply

What is the end goal of this project?
To port all the zones over into the Unreal Engine, and then distribute that to the community to use that as a base for creating a bunch of fanmade spinoff games set in the world of Vana'diel.

I could actually do that as my next video. Do you know the DAT file location for Ru'ann Gardens? :D
ROM2/12/107.dat
[+]
 Asura.Rhianu
By Asura.Rhianu 2018-11-18 02:43:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Xurion said: »
ROM2/12/107.dat
Ask and ye shall receive. ;)
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2018-11-18 14:18:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Lmao, that Elvaan animation test, Finally a female elvaan that doesnt look like a male elvaan in drag
 Asura.Rhianu
By Asura.Rhianu 2018-11-19 20:32:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Just uploaded a video of Ru'Aun Gardens to YouTube. Video below:

[+]