Would You Play An Official SE Pre-Abyssea Server?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Would you play an official SE pre-Abyssea server?
Would you play an official SE pre-Abyssea server?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dekusutaa
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: dekusutaa
By Bismarck.Dekusutaa 2018-03-19 20:03:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Drakenv said: »
Fenrir.Snaps said: »
The community was great back then. Everything was new and exciting, and there were more people playing. The game was terrible though, at least compared to what it is now. I feel that even though some overpowered mechanics exist that render endgame content boring (SMN burn, melee, zerg, etc.) the game is still more playable than it's ever been.
Facts

I think the centripedal force of doing stuff together is way stronger in XI than XIV still.

In XIV it just feels like people log on and hit up all the duty finder crap and dailies. Still technically 'group' content but its always with randoms you dont see again.

My friends and I migratred over to XIV and we tried our best but people just floated to doing their own thing. We all came back to XI around RoV time to complete the story and have stuck around doing stuff 'together' daily.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Syto
Server: Asura
user: Sessho
By Asura.Syto 2018-03-19 22:32:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Is nostalgia really the term? Or Masochism? Why would you feel "nostalgia" for such an era..

Unless you were in a really strong HNM Dominating LS, there really was no joy in that era among majority of the community members.

Only other groups that were huge were Drama-Filled - Broodqueen-Dynamis Linkshells, that built Relics for Exclusive Leaders and "women" (mostly manthra), that's just about it...

I ran and was a part of several dominating Endgame/HNMLS's and even though I miss some of the people at times, like Afania says it's just a memory that was very exclusive. It only existed once and it gets old once you experienced it... IF you even got a chance to...

There was so much corruption going in within Linkshells for loot those days. Sad reality is that now I hear even in current day 75 cap private servers, the corruption still thrives...

So....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 Quetzalcoatl.Senaki
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Senaki
By Quetzalcoatl.Senaki 2018-03-19 23:27:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Pre-Aby FFXI

Returning Players
 Bahamut.Alexcennah
Server: Bahamut
user: digoserra
By Bahamut.Alexcennah 2018-03-20 00:41:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Syto said: »
Is nostalgia really the term? Or Masochism?
Stockholm syndrome is a much better term.

Dammit, we only remember classic FFXI fondly because we were forced to form bonds with other people since everyone was suffering in the same ***together! Everything was made to make our lives miserable at best. To this day, I still have the urge to lynch that *** Tanaka and every time I come across a picture of him, I have to hold myself to not punch my PC's/cellphone's screen!
[+]
By kalimairo 2018-03-20 04:45:18
Link | Quote | Reply

In a heart beat, Playing nasomi (63) paladin as my FFXI subscription is going on renewal (no TOS Wrong) but its buggy as F. Mining point only 1 node a zone is Cancerous for me.
Preabyssea YES PLEASE id pay 30 dollars a month for that ***.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
Server: Bismarck
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2018-03-20 07:55:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I would not. The old days were fun back in the old days. Back when we were young and had time for that stuff. Taking shifts waiting 24-72 hours for an NM to pop just so a bot could claim it; taking a good 9 months to get to lv 70 just to be blocked by Maat; taking 3 years to make a mythic... ain't nobody got time for that.
[+]
By Chyula 2018-03-20 08:04:41
Link | Quote | Reply

the epeen pride is strong. I don't know why ppl prefer getting *** in the *** not only by ls leader, also leaders gf, and their butt buddies on loots. Then there is the retard grind design by the lunatic Tanaka just to *** every one.
[+]
 Cerberus.Drayco
Server: Cerberus
user: Drayco
By Cerberus.Drayco 2018-03-20 09:48:15
Link | Quote | Reply

"FFXI was so much better back then. I wish I could go back in time"

**POOF** You're now in 2003

The Tunnel Worm seems like easy prey.
"Oh man! This is so nostalgic!"
Defeats the Tunnel Worm.
Earns 21 experience points.

"...........crap."
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Senaki
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Senaki
By Quetzalcoatl.Senaki 2018-03-20 12:50:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Drayco said: »
"FFXI was so much better back then. I wish I could go back in time"

**POOF** You're now in 2003

The Tunnel Worm seems like easy prey.
"Oh man! This is so nostalgic!"
Defeats the Tunnel Worm.
Earns 21 experience points.

"...........crap."

Even if FFXI swapped back to 2003, the population would likely be basically the same as all those folks that have quit/left don't have the free time for 2003 FFXI. Old FFXI really only worked due to the high population it sustained, if it had the population of current FFXI I honestly believe it would crash and burn.

In today's ffxi, people have multiple max-level "fully geared" jobs. Back-in-the-day, a lot of folks only had 1 max level job, if any, due to the horrible exp gains. So have 1 max level job, and only 300 active folks per server (Quetz for an example); it would be impossible to get anything done.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-03-20 12:55:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Wouldn't play. One of the biggest selling points of what made FFXI great to me was the learning experience. It was my first MMO and I had to learn everything as brand new. Party roles, travelling, abilities, spells, gear progression and choice, weapons, skillchains... everything that made the game desirable at the time was fresh and a new experience. You can't replicate that after 10 years of playing, and it will never be the same as it was the first time you aggroed a Body and levelled down out of your Bone Harness gear.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By ryson 2018-03-20 13:23:53
Link | Quote | Reply

how about we as a community pool our money together, hire a staff that will actually produce content for the game, make private servers, and tell SE to go #$%^ themselves since apparently they choose to just use us as a cash cow at this point to fund other projects.
 Siren.Demetreos
Server: Siren
user: Riggy
By Siren.Demetreos 2018-03-20 13:25:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably.

I wasn't very EG focused back then and just enjoyed hanging out with friends and exping. So going back, knowing what I know now about gearing and such I think it could be fun.

I also miss classic exping.

That being said, I loved the whole Aby/VW era too, because it got me doing some actual 'endgame'.
By kalimairo 2018-03-20 13:46:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Laurelli said: »
I would not. The old days were fun back in the old days. Back when we were young and had time for that stuff. Taking shifts waiting 24-72 hours for an NM to pop just so a bot could claim it; taking a good 9 months to get to lv 70 just to be blocked by Maat; taking 3 years to make a mythic... ain't nobody got time for that.

No need to farm HNMS just do limbus :)
 Leviathan.Isiolia
Server: Leviathan
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2018-03-20 13:51:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Nope. It was engaging at the time, but as others have mentioned, quite a lot of that was more about community and learning the game. Going back to a fraction of the content gated behind a restored grind would not be appealing.
 Asura.Vienner
Server: Asura
By Asura.Vienner 2018-03-20 13:53:02
Link | Quote | Reply

ryson said: »
how about we as a community pool our money together, hire a staff that will actually produce content for the game, make private servers, and tell SE to go #$%^ themselves since apparently they choose to just use us as a cash cow at this point to fund other projects.
No, For the simple reason that the brand Final Fantasy is intellectual property.
[+]
 Leviathan.Cumincustard
By Leviathan.Cumincustard 2018-03-20 13:55:55
Link | Quote | Reply

kalimairo said: »
Bismarck.Laurelli said: »

No need to farm HNMS just do limbus :)

Took me forever to beat Maat as my taru as mnk. This thread has made me sit and think about my time in the game before...A good in game friend Napaalm had to constantly help me farm new tests...
By ryson 2018-03-20 14:33:43
Link | Quote | Reply

obviously a sarcastic and impossible idea but it really is sad that many of us are forking over money to basically have a social group when we are supposed to be gamers.
 Leviathan.Dazusu
user: Dazusu
By Leviathan.Dazusu 2018-03-21 15:40:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Most people who still play now, I would guess, are more likely to say "No". Ask all the people who quit around the Abyssea time, or soon after its release. I assume you are likely to find a higher quantity of those people would say yes.

People who play now enjoy the game for what it is; those who stopped playing either grew out of it or were disgruntled with it.

Personally: Yes, I'd play on it. I just couldn't be as committed as I was in 2004-2009.
 Odin.Drakenv
Server: Odin
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-03-21 16:04:11
Link | Quote | Reply

*** it let’s go back to 35 cap the end
By Tarage 2018-03-21 17:32:18
Link | Quote | Reply

As a Summoner who played through all of Zilart, CoP, ToAU, and WotG being treated as a gimped WHM no, no I do not ever want to go back to those dark days where I couldn't even keep my avatar out because it constantly drained my MP. I know folks are going to whine that SMN now is broken, but as bad as it is, it was the complete opposite back then. Abyssea was the first time SMN was allowed to actually start being a SMN.
 Odin.Drakenv
Server: Odin
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-03-21 17:33:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Tarage said: »
As a Summoner who played through all of Zilart, CoP, ToAU, and WotG being treated as a gimped WHM no, no I do not ever want to go back to those dark days where I couldn't even keep my avatar out because it constantly drained my MP. I know folks are going to whine that SMN now is broken, but as bad as it is, it was the complete opposite back then. Abyssea was the first time SMN was allowed to actually start being a SMN.
True
[+]
By Zeota 2018-03-21 18:08:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Another thing from back then which really sucked was the abysmal job balance. A number of jobs were just flat-out excluded from doing certain things altogether, and God help you if your main was one of said jobs (not nearly as bad now, plus leveling isn't the chore that it used to be). I was a BLU main that started doing endgame during the last 18 months or so before Abyssea. I didn't level up a "real" mage job until early 2017, so yeah, a lot of missed opportunities. You either diversified or knew the right people. Thankfully I had the latter to fall back on with a friend from another online game that was already established in some endgame circles.
By Tarage 2018-03-21 18:25:04
Link | Quote | Reply

ryson said: »

As an ex video game developer currently working at Microsoft for Xbox... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Good *** luck with that. You have no idea how hard that ***is.
By Afania 2018-03-21 19:56:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Tarage said: »

I very vaguely recall SMN was actually used in 75 era as part of strategy due to safety reasons, and we used a lot of them on things like Odin etc.
By Zeota 2018-03-21 20:37:15
Link | Quote | Reply

RNG and BLU/THF were popular choices too on that fight.