dgVoodoo Crashing FFXI
First Page 2
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2017-04-16 17:23:09
Link | Quote | Reply

So my gaming laptop, a Lenovo Y50 with i5 and 8GB ram running Windows 8.1, is unable to force FFXI to run on its GPU, forcing it to run on the CPU. I installed and am running dgVoodoo 2.53 Graphics API wrapper to get FFXI running on GPU, but for some reason, the game consistently crashes when I'm in cities (Western Adoulin and Mhaura in particular, with a high population)

1) Has anyone had this problem before?
2) Does anyone know how to bypass the dgVoodoo trick? Is this just a Windows 8.1 problem?
3) Where can I find crash dumps for FFXI or dgVoodoo?

Thanks!

EDIT: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/5ndwze/dgvoodoo_keeps_crashing_after_being_in_game_for/

This is the exact problem I am describing.
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2017-04-16 21:40:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been trying to get dgVoodoo for awhile and so far it's never been stable when there is a lot of models on the screen. What's happening is the game loads too many models and the wrapper crash's hard. It's not even windower as it still crash's vanilla FFXI. You can get FFXI to work on your nVidia dGPU, just need to manually set pol.exe to run on the high performance card, give it administrative rights and run your machine in high performance power mode.
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2017-04-17 01:13:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
I've been trying to get dgVoodoo for awhile and so far it's never been stable when there is a lot of models on the screen. What's happening is the game loads too many models and the wrapper crash's hard. It's not even windower as it still crash's vanilla FFXI. You can get FFXI to work on your nVidia dGPU, just need to manually set pol.exe to run on the high performance card, give it administrative rights and run your machine in high performance power mode.

Thanks for the response!

I tried that approach before turning to dgVoodoo, but no amount of manual tuning the Nvidia control panel made it work. This included changing global settings and POL.exe specific settings (changing default graphics card, changing to high-performance mode). I remember reading it was something about Optimus?
 Lakshmi.Sulia
Server: Lakshmi
user: Sulia
By Lakshmi.Sulia 2017-04-17 03:40:30
Link | Quote | Reply

The Optimus issue is related to Windows 10, but from what you're describing it looks like it's also an 8.1 issue. Since DirectX8 is no longer something supported, Optimus forces the CPU to do all the rendering instead of the GPU. I actually contacted Nvidia and they said that this is working correctly and it's a Microsoft problem not theirs.

There was recently something done in Ashita that's in beta that does the same thing that dgVoodoo does and it's supposedly worked to great success. Perhaps the Windower team is also looking into doing this as it's been an issue for a few years now.

For now though, you may want to attempt to see if you can lower the number of models that your game tries to render on your screen or maybe go the Ashita route. The guy that made dgVoodoo has never actually support FFXI in the wrapper, so I imagine it's just a happy coincidence that it works in the capacity it does for XI.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-04-17 08:23:55
Link | Quote | Reply

My notebook is running Windows 7 x64, so all my work is on that. What Optimius does is attempt to dynamically direct work to the appropriate GPU resource based on power usage. You have the onboard iGPU and connected dGPU and it's normally works really well. The problem here is that DX8 gets emulated through DX9 libraries that are then run through the driver stack and if nothing is done then the default output device will be the system default, which is normally the Intel HD Graphics iGPU. nVidia's driver is supposed to detect the executable and direct it's graphics calls elsewhere but this can be hit or miss depending on graphics version. NVidia frequently breaks Optimus suppport for older programs, then fix it, then break it again on a later update.

My notebook has a nVidia GTX 970M running driver 376.19. Optimus seems to work with that version pretty well.
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2017-04-17 09:49:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Dabackpack said: »
I tried that approach before turning to dgVoodoo, but no amount of manual tuning the Nvidia control panel made it work. This included changing global settings and POL.exe specific settings (changing default graphics card, changing to high-performance mode). I remember reading it was something about Optimus?
Had this very problem on my Windows 10, Nvidia GTX970 laptop. I could never find a solution. I tried everything you did and nothing worked.

How can I verify that my laptop utilizes Optimus technology (besides the fact that my dGPU is a relatively recent Nvidia model)? I've never come across anything that indicated that on my laptop.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-04-17 10:00:43
Link | Quote | Reply

You can use GPU-z or HWinfo to check GPU clock and utilization. I'm going to see if I can get Ashita proxy to work with it.
 Bahamut.Vinedrius
Server: Bahamut
user: Devrom
By Bahamut.Vinedrius 2017-04-17 12:04:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I had no issues with Optimus on my laptop using i5-2450m (hd graphics 3000) and GT630m on either Windows 7 or 10.
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2017-04-17 14:00:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
You can use GPU-z or HWinfo to check GPU clock and utilization.
Oh, I have a program that detects GPU activity. I was wondering about Optimus itself.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-04-17 14:02:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zeig said: »
I was wondering about Optimus itself.

Optimus is just a traffic router, it's activated by the display drivers and only on a per-application basis. You can only see whats going on by watching GPU utilization, if the Intel HD clocks up and has a high utilization then it's being used, if the dGPU clocks up and has higher utilization then that's what is being used.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2017-04-17 19:42:53
Link | Quote | Reply

no luck with anything so far, I just want to play FFXI at something more than 8 fps...

dgvoodoo is great when it's not crashing constantly
By pobls 2017-04-20 11:46:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Can sympathize with you on this. Had a gaming laptop that did the same thing. Voodoo crashed sporadically for me. My solution, albeit may not be possible for some, was to get a laptop with a G-Sync monitor; the G-Sync takes Optimus completely out of the equation, at the risk of battery life (if that matters to you). Again, an expensive measure, but it works for me. Good luck to you though.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-04-20 12:02:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Dabackpack said: »
no luck with anything so far, I just want to play FFXI at something more than 8 fps...

dgvoodoo is great when it's not crashing constantly

This is going to suck but you can move to Ashita. They have created a DX8 to DX9 proxy wrapper specifically made for Optimus users.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [31 days between previous and next post]
 Sylph.Kikkilatzi
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Kikkilatzi 2017-05-21 23:07:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Tried the latest dgvoodoo (2.54) and so far no crashes, but, characters aren't rendered, they are all invisible with floating names. All other objects in the game are visible tho.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [331 days between previous and next post]
 Phoenix.Twiste
By Phoenix.Twiste 2018-04-17 23:51:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't want to make a new thread, but I'm having an issue with dgVoodoo and dualboxing. Google searches have not shown my issue.

When I run a single instance of windower, everything works fine.
But when the second instance of windower is opened from POL the first instance freezes. It doesn't crash or black screen or error codes or anything, just freezes.

Any help is appreciated.

Edit: I've tried the latest version of DGV and the version in the youtube tutorial video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gppbG1nJ5cg
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2018-04-18 00:53:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I've resolved the issue by switching to Ashita. I don't know if that helps at all, but at least you can use it as a last-ditch effort.
 Shiva.Berzerk
Server: Shiva
user: Berzerk06
By Shiva.Berzerk 2018-04-18 01:23:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Twiste said: »
I didn't want to make a new thread, but I'm having an issue with dgVoodoo and dualboxing. Google searches have not shown my issue.

But when the second instance of windower is opened from POL the first instance freezes. It doesn't crash or black screen or error codes or anything, just freezes.

Any help is appreciated.

Edit: I've tried the latest version of DGV and the version in the youtube tutorial video

I had this same issue when I was setting up ffxi on a new laptop w/ Optimus. The only solution I found was to run Open Broadcast Studio while playing and it would let me open up multiple instances just fine. The only issue is you have to leave that running and it can be kind of a memory hog. If you find another solution please let me know. All of my gear changes are in gearswap otherwise I'd happily use Ashita on laptop instead..
 Quetzalcoatl.Khajit
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Khajit
By Quetzalcoatl.Khajit 2018-04-18 10:15:17
Link | Quote | Reply

The dll file is named wrong. change it to the correct one and see if it works after that.
The correct name for it is d38d.dll
 Asura.Sirris
user: Safiyyah
By Asura.Sirris 2018-04-18 11:23:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Any help is appreciated.

I had the exact same issue last month. I tri-boxed all day one Saturday. The next day I had the same problem that you're having. I could run one instance of XI fine. The second one would cause both to freeze. Never made any changes like driver updates or Windows updates, it just... broke.

I'm sorry but I couldn't find a solution. Tried reinstalling Windower, tried reinstalling XI, moved to latest dgVoodoo. I ended up just moving my newer PC from my living room to my bedroom, and wiping my old one, then giving it to my kids. Now I can run 3 instances of FFXI just fine.
 Phoenix.Bunas
user: Teapo
By Phoenix.Bunas 2018-04-18 12:37:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Khajit said: »
The dll file is named wrong. change it to the correct one and see if it works after that.
is this correct? in the video its D3D8.dll
 Phoenix.Bunas
user: Teapo
By Phoenix.Bunas 2018-04-18 12:42:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Any help is appreciated.

I just got a Coesair One elite and this is happening to me also. I wonder is there is a work around for it. My older rig has no issues and it runs an I7 4770 and 980ti. The Corsair one is an 8700k and 1080ti and freezes on mutiple clients as well.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2018-04-18 12:53:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Bunas said: »

Capitalization doesn't matter for Windows.

The problem likely lies in a combination of Graphics driver configurations, Windower configuration and DGVoodoo configuration. I have no idea what those configurations are. We can throw random best practices at a wall and hope something sticks but without someone doing a deep drive into logs your gonna have to solve it by trial and error.
 Asura.Dapollyon
user: masterg7
By Asura.Dapollyon 2018-04-18 16:01:10
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

if your having issues with crashing it might be due to the settings being placed on dgvoodoo. If you like playing borderless window mode make sure you select that in the settings of dgvoodoo otherwise it will crash. Set the VRAM accordingly based on your card/dual boxing ability. Also for stability reasons set textures and msaa to app driven. doing this will help with your FPS. If you have any other questions or need help troubleshooting then i do have a discord channel just for it and if you have issues i will help as i notice people posting.

https://discord.gg/vcX5RyV

The files for DGvoodoo are also linked on my discord.
[+]
 Asura.Dapollyon
By Asura.Dapollyon 2018-04-18 16:07:16
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

This is for if your computer has a decent enough GPU to utilize the ReShade overlay to make the game look even better. I use the settings Adaptive sharpen, clarity, hdr, levels, vibrance are what i turn on then change the FakeHDR value to 1.4 in configuration mode. I also have the reshade files on my discord channel as well. Like wise with the DGvoodoo and ReShade feel free to ask me any questions and i will get to them as i see them posted.

https://discord.gg/vcX5RyV
[+]
 Asura.Dapollyon
By Asura.Dapollyon 2018-04-18 16:13:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Another thing to deal with your client freezing for all you people out their. 9/10 it has to do with the windows admin prompt yes/no run this box that pops. I only recommend this if you have a decent antivirus. When the box pops click the underlined more options at the bottom of the window. this will open up your windows admin privileges drag the slider all the way to the bottom. This basically tells the OS that anything that opens is of your doing. So whats happening is when that prompt appears it pauses all processes in the background even instances of direct x and this causes a interrupting crash to the game, moving this slider keeps the processes/direct X from being interrupted.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2018-04-18 16:57:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Windows UAC, the bane of all gamers.
 Quetzalcoatl.Khajit
By Quetzalcoatl.Khajit 2018-04-19 18:03:51
Link | Quote | Reply

That's not what I was getting at. The dll file in the latet download when I installed it last week was D3d8.dll. That is not the name it should have as i pointed out earlier.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2018-04-19 18:15:05
Link | Quote | Reply

That's not what I was getting at. The dll file in the latet download when I installed it last week was D3d8.dll. That is not the name it should have as i pointed out earlier.

What exactly are you two bickering about? The file is D3D8.dll right out of the package.
 Quetzalcoatl.Khajit
By Quetzalcoatl.Khajit 2018-04-19 19:47:26
Link | Quote | Reply

It's probably some sort of discrepancy since the main thread about dgvoovoo has a different filename or something? I'll go check it out when im more bored.
 Sylph.Reain
Server: Sylph
user: dmregm
By Sylph.Reain 2018-04-19 20:13:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Windows 10 might be able to let you pick which GPU you use in newer builds.

I don't have a multi-GPU system to check if it works properly but this is what it looks like:

Obviously doesn't have the benefits of preventing crashes when losing fullscreen like DGVoodoo though, if it does work.
First Page 2