Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Summoner » New summoner! Starter gear
New summoner! Starter gear
 Sylph.Xijaah
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Xijaah
By Sylph.Xijaah 2015-11-30 14:23:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello guys, i came back from a long break one month ago, and after finishing my annihilator, i thought i would give smn a shot, as i understand rng doesnt see much play lately. Since i miss most clears (delve, vagary etc.) i was wondering what set, which i can solo, should i aim for initially in order to make the job at least playable. Sylph doesnt see much action (or at least so it seems!) so i will be forced to solo most of it until i can get to a decent point where i would ideally find a shell to do things with. Thanks in advance for the replies!
By FaeQueenCory 2015-11-30 15:35:42
Link | Quote | Reply

You're not really gonna get much of anything solo-wise... at least not for SMN.

For BPs, merlinic hands (Reisenjima, group likely needed)... every other slot Apogee+1 is BiS... (though that's operating under the assumption that Merlinic gets at least +5 BPdmg.... I've not gotten a pair myself yet, but I *think* it does, and that's all it takes to exceed Apogee+1)

SMN basically works in tiers of Nirvanas... Or at least I rate it that way.
  • 0 Nirvana = low/***-tier SMN... Probably still fulltiming 5/5 empy set +2. Or even worse... full wayfarer... That would be like -1 Nirvana level TBH. (don't fall for spark armor, that 117 is a lie that only noobs and Trusts believe)

• 0.5 Nirvana = The baseline. Perfectly augmented Helios/NQ Apogee. A!skirmish staff or Reisenjima staff with perfect augs. (obvs by now I'm only referencing BPs... but capping Perp is a problem only a -1 Nirvana SMN would have. With all the gear available... With so much of it being RF1~3 pieces... There's no excuse to not having capped perp.)
    (I've come to realize over the years that I'm kinda a gear snob... so my "base line" tends to skew to a more realistic "really good".)

• 1 Nirvana = Having a Nirvana. ... .... Yeah. Basically no one is on this level... cause if you have a 119 Nirvana, then you're likely to already be at the 0.5 Nirvana level. Though I *suppose* you could argue that perfect Keranous and perfect Helios/NQ Apogee are here... I place that on the 0.5 level.

• 1.5 Nirvana = Nirvana and perfect Helios/NQ Apogee.

• Double Nirvana = Nirvana and Apogee+1

• Triple Nirvana? = The possibility that comes from the +1 119 Nirvana that's happening next month... I don't think Nirvana needs an update... the 119ification made it one of the most OP mythics... But it's likely gonna get a boost. And while I don't think it needs it; I'm not gonna say no to more ice cream, y'know?

As I mentioned earlier, Merlinic hands are potentially better than Apogee+1 hands (just needs a total of 10 BPdmg to exceed them, so a +5 aug).
But Apogee, Merlinic, and Helios gear will all require you to go to content with other people.
Further, you'll need the singular item that will let your avatar be level 119: Seraphicaller.
I'd recommend Gessho since that's the easiest MBCNM to do IMO.
But you're likely gonna need more than just yourself to actually do it on N/D/VD... which is the only way you're going to reasonably see it drop. (unless you're REALLY lucky)

BUT all isn't all doom and gloom.
Your avatars will be stuck at 115 (the 117 ammo is from DelveII), and your BP staff options are.... severely limited. (the spark staff isn't bad.... but.... there are so much better options now. And it's pretty easy to get a Keranous, the A!skirmish staff, but that'll require people.)
But there are certain pieces of the RF that are still really good:
RF1 - Artifact
  • Horn - lots of skill, refresh, AND delay.

• Pigaches - -perp, and a solid BPdmg. If you have no Helios, these are strictly inferior, but they're by no means bad.

RF2 - Relic
  • Doublet - -perp, +crit rate, -BPdelayII. A very solid idle piece. The crit rate might not be much... but it IS a noticeable gain.

• Gauntlets - -delay, skill, acc. Strictly better than the empy hands, don't be suckered into the empy hand's worthlessness. The skill is really what makes these shine. Great for Favor... though with the advent of BPdmg being so readily available... I can no longer say these are BP worthwhile. (like I mentioned above, you'll be needing ppl to really excel)

RF3 - Empyrean
  • Horn - great if you have the inventory to make it work. Though TBF the minor boon from the +2/3 Favor isn't really worthwhile unless you're already able to make it work. And even then... is that +15 defense gonna save the day? Avatars are just too squishy to really make this a thing to strive for IMO.

• Doublet - Best budget BP body. +skill means more acc, something always needed. and +11% is still 1% more than Apogee+1 body (the set bonus make Apogee+1 better... and the MAB in exchange for that 1%BPdmg). But it's a solid piece if you don't have the access to Apogee, and a far superior one to the RF1 body. (Some try to argue that.... but their logic is just as fail as those who try to argue nothing but MAB pieces over Macc+MAB pieces... some people just don't understand resists/whiffs and how important they are to being a good DD)

• Spats - You'll want these for Alexander and Siphon... they're not really good for BPs anymore.... like... at all. (Helios/Apogee/SR pants are all strictly better... that BPdmg is key to being a good DD)

• Pigaches - Siphon... nothing else.

Another good thing is that many of these pieces are fully useable in their 109 form.... so your lack of Vagary clears won't hurt you too much...

But if you're even the slightest bit serious about SMN, you should find people who can help you get up to snuff.
Cause otherwise... you're looking at being stuck in the 0 Nirvana level for all eternity... if even that high. (0 still requires that Seraphicaller... anything less... you're just not going to be able to do stuff on SMN... not realistically anyways.)
But that shouldn't be too hard if you have a 119 Annihilator.

Hope this helps and isn't too off-putting. (I'm trying to be helpful while stressing that this job now is actually a gear demanding job like SCH... gone are the days of 4/5 empy and magian staves being all you need to SMN.)

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Xijaah
Server: Sylph
user: Xijaah
By Sylph.Xijaah 2015-11-30 16:14:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow you guys are great, thank you. I'll work on refresh/perp sets first then! I'm all for do stuff with other people, i just havent found an active shell yet (and i wouldnt expect to get "help" as soon as i find one either, of course); i like the complexity of the job, and i look forward to get better at it.
By FaeQueenCory 2015-11-30 16:40:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I disagree about the order recommended.
Perp should be the same as refresh. It's silly to have separate sets for avatars being out or not anymore... especially given how easy it is to cap perp now.
ESPECIALLY when so much of endgame content instantly refills your MP at the start...
And even that which doesn't, Siphon should be half~1/3 of your MP restored... coupled with capped perp and refresh in a single set... even /whm shouldn't be running out of MP. (I know I never do.)
And that's not even talking about the down time between runs... which usually is enough for capped perp+refresh to fill you up in moments. (I know mine does, and if you are not managing your MP well enough, then there's always Diabolos to stand next to.)
It's not 2004 anymore.

Perp should be first.... since you have to work to not cap it.
Supplement non-perp slots with refresh (things like Assuidity pants cover both, hagondes body too is an option that covers both perp and refresh).
Then BPdmg. (Which should really be the first sets actually worked on... since capping perp is something that's REALLY easily done.)
THEN healing.

SMN cures are subjob cures. Meaning they'll always be inferior to WHM/RDM/SCH cures. Prioritizing something that you're not there to do is silly.

SMN is there to deal damage first, buff second, and provide cures when necessary. (it's a hybrid DD-buff job, with the emphasis on the DD part. It's healing capabilities outside of Carbuncle/Garuda/Leviathan are... just abysmal and asking a SMN to main heal in 2015 is just...... dumb.)
 Quetzalcoatl.Frodnon
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Frodnon 2015-11-30 17:10:35
Link | Quote | Reply

1. Seraphicaller. you are NOT 119 without this, no matter what is in the other slots.

2. Capped Perp in as few slots as possible which leads into Perp with as much refresh as possible.

3. Basic Bloodpact gear. Empy/AF 119 body, Merlinic hands, NQ apogee head, legs, feet. Gelos earring. These are all relatively easy to get.

4. a full BP/BPII- set. preeeetty much just full relic 119 with espiritus and conveyance cape.

5. +skill/Siphon set. this eventually branches to two separate sets, but you want to work towards having as much as possible with both. Siphon gear is like 4/5 telchine w/ aug, +skill is all over. you'll need 575 skill +beckoner's horn +1 +550 JP to cap this for favor, or a total of 600 skill to cap for Alexander.

6. Side sets for utility, specific situations, or specific(non flaming crush) pacts.
* Full +macc/+skill build for ward debuffs
* Full /SCH and other subjob sets.
* Precast/fastcast sets.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [71 days between previous and next post]
By Kilk 2016-02-10 01:58:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi guys,
first of all I would like to thank you for all interesting posts found around in this forum.
I am a new player, which started roughly beginning of January 2016. I played RDM in far 2010 and then left for WoW at that time (yes, shame on me). I played FFXIV with static and finishing all end game but it is like somebody else said in other posts here: after few months in FFXI I am having again much more fun than just having end game in FFXIV.
Going to the point and thanking in advance for any advice I will receive, here is my question (I will try to make it short and comprehensive and if somebody “lives” in Asura I would be more than happy to get in touch with him/her):
I saw that there is gearswap addon and I installed it and I was almost starting to modify it with my equip (I am also starting to get my equip for the SMN). I found that I had a very huge lack of knowledge and information on what to put where and which was the most important stat to put in the following in the bearbones one:

idle (ok easy, almost perpetuation should be the focus)
resting (also easy)
perp (as above)
avatar tank (no idea, may be pet HP?)
avatar melee (no idea which stats are more important)
avatar acc (pet accuracy? Is accuracy going to be a problem for the SMN?)
precast bp (no idea which stats are more important)
precast casting(no idea which stats are more important)
precast summoning(no idea which stats are more important)
midcast casting(no idea which stats are more important)
Even a general short explanation would be fine (I am little bit lost to understand where to put equip with which stat where, like for example bloodpact damage and blood boon should be in the bp precast I suppose but for example avatar accuracy, I have no idea)

As I said, I am sorry to ask for something which might be already somewhere explained but I am a little bit lost. May be I am just over-estimating as far as probably with one piece of armor/equip you will just fill all the sets, but just wanted to be sure and understand more on the mechanics.

P.S. the two .lua files from bearbones should be in the same folder in windower I suppose
By Verda 2016-02-10 16:38:06
Link | Quote | Reply

If it helps you can download my lua in this forum and use those sets as a guide. I know it's not the best help but I can prob make full sets later for you if that isn't helpful for you.

For quick explanations on stats:

idle: DT and refresh, optionally movement speed
resting: no one really rests anymore ever, but mp+ and refresh
perp: perp capped, refresh
avatar tank: not really done but pet -DT is good
avatar melee: haste, acc, attack, double attack, DT
avatar acc: Pacts don't seem to miss often but smn skill over cap helps this, but it is less than 1:1
precast bp: Bp recast delay capped at 30 seconds, split between I and II and gifts with I having a 15s cap
precast casting: fastcast, spell interruption rate down also if you can fit it in
precast summoning: same as casting, sub smn skill in too if room for decrease in interruption rate
midcast casting: depends on spell, there's lots of them. stoneskin only, aquaveil only, refresh only, enhancing magic time, enfeebling skill and magic accuracy, mab and magic accuracy, healing skill power capped with cure potency capped with another cure set for weather, and prob some I'm forgetting. Though not all these are "required" but they help you if you have inventory room and time to get the gear.

Quote:
Even a general short explanation would be fine (I am little bit lost to understand where to put equip with which stat where, like for example bloodpact damage and blood boon should be in the bp precast I suppose but for example avatar accuracy, I have no idea)

BP damage in pet midcast, blood boon in pet midcast and really only saves mp. Anything dealing with damage or when the spell is cast will go in pet_midcast for pacts and midcast for player. precast is for bp delay for pacts, and fastcast for player. additionally, spell recast is midcast and affected by both haste and fastcast (which capping gear haste on curing set midcast is a good idea if you can manage it) hope that helps.
[+]
By Kilk 2016-02-12 06:26:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Dear Verda,
first of all thank you for the explanation. Today i was going a little bit more in detail in your gearswap for summoner and i decided this will be the one i will use.
I will reply in your post there for other issues on this.
Thank you again!
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [52 days between previous and next post]
 Asura.Tarquine
Server: Asura
By Asura.Tarquine 2016-04-04 07:04:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Where would you recommend spamming to get Seraphicaller?
 Ragnarok.Rydal
Server: Ragnarok
user: Rydal
By Ragnarok.Rydal 2016-04-04 08:15:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Tenzen or Ouryu worked for me.
 Asura.Isiolia
user: Isiolia
By Asura.Isiolia 2016-04-04 08:35:03
Link | Quote | Reply

My observation has been that Seraphicaller is a fairly common drop from any of the BCs that drop it. The main factors would be which BCs you can readily do on at least Normal difficulty, and (potentially), which are overcrowded.

Tenzen is probably a prime choice if you're pulling a group together - Ginsen and Mizukage-no-Kubikazari remain in demand, and it has been somewhat popular to spam for Oboro rocks. Main problem would be that between that and O/U, Sealion's Den is one of the most likely BCs to get backed up (Empyrean Paradox is the main other that I've seen).

'course, if there are groups there spamming, you can always just go hang out in the zone and ask nicely (assuming they don't all already have one, blocking the drop).

Ouryu has the benefit of probably being one of the few left with a real money drop (gaiters).

Any horror stories I've heard about drop rates have been from folks spamming VE/E, which is going to be craptacular for getting any gear drop.
 Asura.Tarquine
By Asura.Tarquine 2016-04-04 08:50:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I did a bit of Tenzen VD spam the other night and didn't see it in the pool - of course, this is likely [bad] luck over anything.

I'm thinking which I can solo on N+ to fill in these slots when I don't have time to go/get a group.