How Busy Of A Job Is Corsair?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Corsair » How busy of a job is Corsair?
How busy of a job is Corsair?
By Bloodrose 2015-07-24 14:42:21
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're not drinking and playing, you're not really a corsair!
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-07-24 14:42:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »
If you're not drinking and playing, you're not really a corsair!

Corsair is a job in a game.

Pirate is for life.
[+]
By Soraishin 2015-07-24 14:46:44
Link | Quote | Reply

those cor's who stand around during events more often than not find themselves standing around back in town before it starts... play the job and play it right.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-07-24 15:07:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
subjobs
Don't forget that if a main dnc exists or someone else is subbing dnc, nin is the best melee sub.
[+]
 Asura.Mrxdemix
Server: Asura
user: Mrxdemix
By Asura.Mrxdemix 2015-07-29 21:22:45
Link | Quote | Reply

A quick follow-up.

Your responses were infinitely helpful. I rolled COR—pun intended—and am now level 68. I really enjoy the job as it's far different than what I've played in other MMOs.

Thanks everyone!
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Ninjaface
By Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface 2015-07-30 10:49:02
Link | Quote | Reply

hands down my favorite job that I don't actually have leveled on this character but totally used to main.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-07-30 10:54:35
Link | Quote | Reply

do rolls>afk>who cares game is easy anyway>repeat
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-07-30 12:59:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »

Why does this guy post in forums when all he ever does is be sarcastic and troll?
[+]
By ScaevolaBahamut 2015-07-30 14:20:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Oraen said: »
The pursuer's set alone should be evidence that COR is meant to deal damage. That set is the best thing to happen to COR's DD capability since Taeon. In fact, the past few months have basically thrown colossally powerful gear at us. I am 100% okay with this.

You're not wrong but I giggled

"this set is the best thing to happen to COR DD since this other set that came out like, what, two months before it"

anyway, COR's purpose is to roll, shoot, and interrupt my skillchains

THANKS O-QULTADA
[+]
 Asura.Reichleiu
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2015-07-30 15:10:29
Link | Quote | Reply

ScaevolaBahamut said: »

Should be trying to collaborate with his party to help make skillchains..
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-07-30 15:13:28
Link | Quote | Reply

He should, but Qultada is a little ***. At least he gives rolls, unlike a certain other COR we all know.
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2015-07-30 17:50:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Now, this is not to say that a person playing COR shouldn't be really busy most of the time (I'm another one who was initially attracted to the job way back in the ToAU days BECAUSE you were always thinking and doing something, a stark difference to my then MNK main ways)...

But disclaimer out of the way, COR is surely the best suited job in the game to dual box and just roll/ignore, due to the significant boost and very long duration of rolls. I've been doing this a lot lately, playing BLM on my alt in Vagary and just lugging the COR along to roll on a mage or BST party and /follow my BLM around. Too busy constantly nuking to actually do more with the COR.

And honestly, if I had a player with mediocre jobs for my events (say, a melee DD focused player in Vagary or Escha NMs), I'd be way happier for them to be a COR who just rolls and is fairly useless otherwise than I would be for them to come on most everything else. Especially in this age of strong BST and nukers, COR's buffs are especially potent for those jobs. Beast + Puppet roll for 2-3 good BSTs and just standing around is ABSOLUTELY a bigger contribution than the vast majority of jobs you could slot in there.

Again, someone who's dedicated to playing COR well will usually be really busy. Melee /DNC or /NIN, shooting with /NIN /RNG where viable, giving a little extra backline support on /RDM if nothing else... But let's not act like bringing a "bad COR" to something like a Plouton run is worse than bringing nobody at all, that's crazy talk.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-07-30 18:09:00
Link | Quote | Reply

The question is not "can cor be dualboxed" or "what jobs should I dualbox if I must chose"; I don't understand why bringing it up is even necessary, this is getting dumb.

The question is from someone attracted to the job, meaning they want to PLAY IT, not bot it or afk on it.
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-07-30 18:58:39
Link | Quote | Reply

ScaevolaBahamut said: »
The pursuer's set alone should be evidence that COR is meant to deal damage. That set is the best thing to happen to COR's DD capability since Taeon. In fact, the past few months have basically thrown colossally powerful gear at us. I am 100% okay with this.

You're not wrong but I giggled

"this set is the best thing to happen to COR DD since this other set that came out like, what, two months before it"

THANKS O-QULTADA

At least he makes up for it when he light shots on Koru's Dia III, gives decent COR rolls, and adds a little extra damage.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2015-07-30 18:58:48
Link | Quote | Reply

The reason I'm bringing it up is because of dumb statements like:

Seha said: »
Addendum: a cor who just uses buffs is actually not worth the spot in most party setups, cause the increase in party's dmg output isn't enough to outweight the absence of an additional dd.

Yes, I know COR can do more than just roll. And I totally support any new COR trying their best to help out in the many ways other than buffs that COR can contribute. But it's just wrong to say the addition from buffs ALONE doesn't justify the spot.

If I have some dude who can just come to events on their melee DD or an unnecessary extra WHM BRD PLD or something... I'd RATHER have them burn a COR up to 99, slap on a Barataria Ring, and just mindlessly make sure dice are on my screen. A great COR is better, a really lousy COR is still often worth bringing as long as they can roll - especially with the strength of COR buffs on today's popular event DDs like BST and BLM. (or am I supposed to just whine about BST now, just like we did about SAM back when it was the big deal in all the common setups?)

Leads me to a serious question: how often are you really doing stuff these days (besides CP farming) that COR damage is all that significant? I find it pretty lousy for most Escha NMs or Vagary (non-Palloritus zone) applications. The rolls though, yeah, those are huge when you have something like a trio of buffed BSTs tearing through the NM in under 3 minutes, or a team of MB-ing BLM SCHs knocking 50% off a mob in one volley of spells.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-07-30 19:11:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »

Why does this guy post in forums when all he ever does is be sarcastic and troll?

it's a mystery

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Oraen
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-07-30 19:17:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
Leads me to a serious question: how often are you really doing stuff these days (besides CP farming) that COR damage is all that significant? I find it pretty lousy for most Escha NMs or Vagary (non-Palloritus zone) applications. The rolls though, yeah, those are huge when you have something like a trio of buffed BSTs tearing through the NM in under 3 minutes, or a team of MB-ing BLM SCHs knocking 50% off a mob in one volley of spells.

In any situation in which magic buffs/debuffs are applied, COR damage is exceptionally powerful. Easily 20k-30k+ Leaden Salutes with proper gear, not to mention SC damage and the resulting MBs off of that chain. COR's damage is quite significant when properly geared and buffed.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2015-07-30 19:31:58
Link | Quote | Reply

In any situation in which magic buffs/debuffs are applied, COR damage is exceptionally powerful. Easily 20k-30k+ Leaden Salutes with proper gear, not to mention SC damage and the resulting MBs off of that chain. COR's damage is quite significant when properly geared and buffed.

Hmm, I guess we're just lacking the adequate buffs then, since I never seem to get anything close to that with a pretty good Leaden set:
ItemSet 336632
Gun has STR/AGI+16, MAB/Macc+16, WSD+5% (and obviously swapping the club out on stuff where I can melee or want some stronger ranged stats)

When do you WS? (i.e. save to 2000/3000 tp?) What are some targets where you're getting these kinds of numbers? What mobs do you have a particularly hard time on? (I feel like I'm doing lousy damage on Vagary bosses)

I'm admittedly slow to the Escha game so I'm not extremely experienced with most NM there. Sometimes I find myself doing quite well on random UNMs. But lately doing a lot of Vagary and COR has been feeling kinda weak to me there (Leaden taking an obvious hit on darkness based mobs). It's true that our GEO corps is not the best though, so maybe gonna have to force people to up their GEO game...
 Asura.Hoshiku
user: Hoshiku
By Asura.Hoshiku 2015-07-30 20:04:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Proper buffs include acumen/malaise/focus/languor.
 Sylph.Oraen
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-07-30 20:09:24
Link | Quote | Reply

ItemSet 336634

That is my current set. Rawhide A, Pursuer's B, all Taeon with MAB 20/AGI 10/ Recycle 8 (because orichalcum bullets are rare as Hell on Sylph). eschan stone when I do not have a SCH for storm. Taeon body with MAB/AGI would be a bit superior to Rawhide, but God help me, I can't do the RNG of augmenting anymore after BST and BLU and COR and GEO gear.

I normally hit these numbers consistently on T2 Escha NMs and most T3s, although we don't use magic setups for some fights. I typically only WS to close SCs with a THF so as to not mess up SCH chains, so my TP levels can vary greatly. Obviously at higher TP is when I hit the super high spikes.

I have never brought COR to Vagary outside of some beginning runs, as I'm now always relegated to BLU or GEO in our Vagary runs. My friend recently finished his DP, so I'm excited to see how much more he can do with it.
[+]
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-07-31 00:14:25
Link | Quote | Reply

orichalcum bullets are rare as Hell on Sylph.
I'll make them for ya at no charge if you bring me orichalcum ingots (specifically, 1 stack of bullets per ingot).
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-07-31 04:19:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
But it's just wrong to say the addition from buffs ALONE doesn't justify the spot.
Speaking of a maxed party or a party where additional members increase the enemy's difficulty. No, buffs alone don't give enough dps to outweight what could just be another dd, you also need to contribute in some other way.

It is incredibly demented to come in a cor forum talking about how it's useless to play cor. If you want to talk of bst only or sam only strategies go to their respective forums. People who ask questions like this wanna know about playing cor, not about the interesting ways of rolls stacking and then kicking the cor. Cause hey, you could be playing bst!!!
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2015-07-31 14:43:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
It is incredibly demented to come in a cor forum talking about how it's useless to play cor.

When did I say any such thing? I specifically said COR can do lots of stuff, and to try to do it well... I'm also not talking at all about "bst only or sam only strategies", but, um... it's kind of important as a COR to realize what kind of setup you're using to maximize your effectiveness and it just so happens that in the current meta that's heavily BST and BLM oriented, COR is one of the very best support jobs to enhance those currently high powered DDs.

Yes, if you can fill an alliance with optimal jobs and you have the luxury of putting in a high end COR wherever you see fit, that's the ideal. Nobody is disputing that, obviously.

But if you have extra space in the alliance, adding buffs alone absolutely should outweigh the HP scaling increase of one additional player, as long as the other players you're buffing are decent. Obviously it's even better if the COR can add damage too, but if your COR is kinda mediocre it's honestly one of the easiest jobs to still fulfill its primary role even if that player's gear/skill isn't up to the task of doing good damage. In something like Vagary with no HP scaling, it's a no brainer that even a shitty COR is better than an empty party slot.

I think I'm in the same boat as a lot of players organizing events though, where not everyone in the LS has the gear/skill/time to just switch to some optimal alternate job. It's a heck of a lot easier to get some use out of them even if their COR sucks, as opposed to their melee job that adds virtually nothing in most current events, or their extraneous tank job, or a BRD that provides less benefit in buffs to a BST or nuke party than a COR. I'll try to encourage that player to get better at COR and get geared up, but until they're at the level where they CAN do the things a well played COR is capable of, COR is still an easier job than most for them to actually make a meaningful contribution to events.
By Soraishin 2015-07-31 23:39:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Thread went from someone looking for meaningful advice to people trying to justify taking easy street. Think we're done here.
 Sylph.Oraen
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-08-01 00:00:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
orichalcum bullets are rare as Hell on Sylph.
I'll make them for ya at no charge if you bring me orichalcum ingots (specifically, 1 stack of bullets per ingot).

I will definitely take you up on that whenever you happen to have the free time. Greatly appreciate it. Don't like watching the AH like a hawk for them.
 Leviathan.Krysten
Server: Leviathan
user: Krysten
By Leviathan.Krysten 2015-08-01 00:02:27
Link | Quote | Reply

COR/SAM is the place to be