Absolute Virtue: Soloable Now?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » NMs » Absolute Virtue: Soloable now?
Absolute Virtue: Soloable now?
 Leviathan.Protey
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2014-12-28 14:31:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
thief in full magic evasion gear would near completely resist all chainspell nukes and even if meteor landed 100% on a fluke; you've got such high mdt and extreme HP and MDB and INT it would never one shot you. The same set made me near immune to charm and meteor from Rani for an hour of testing for example.

be sure to larceny a good 2 hour for the video Anjisnu

no, just no. A RDM with vastly superior magic survival capability than a THF has some difficulty surviving it. A solo THF would be destroyed by chainspell meteor. no ifs, ands, or buts.
By Acacia 2014-12-28 14:32:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Anjisnu said: »
i need to get a program that doesn't look shitty to record my thf soloing him
If you have an NVIDIA graphics card, ShadowPlay works really well.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2014-12-28 14:49:29
Link | Quote | Reply

thief wouldn't get chainspell meteored, even if I wanted to humor you for argument's sake; Thief can just steal chainspell or manafont.

red mage using artsieq (for example augmented with extra magic evasion) is just overkill for this.

have you ever fought AV? If you did then you know that it can do the same 2hr more than once (unless you block that particular 2hr by using your own). So stealing it won't do much good except for that one particular time.

You don't gear for max magic evasion on RDM for this. You gear MDB. There will already be magic evasion on said MDB gear. Even with all the resists and MDB will still take quite a bit of damage. And you can't switch gear for cures/stoneskin while it is doing chainspell meteor as the amount of MDB will significantly drop.

Post deleted by User.
By Giaden 2014-12-28 15:01:22
Link | Quote | Reply

He's basically a joke. I did it last week with 4 people; whm, brd, X2 DDs. Think the DDs where a mnk and a thf. When AV popped it was dead during its Chainspell mode... died in about 30secs. chainspell did basically nothing to use with 119 gear on. think the whm cured once.
As for solo. Don't see it being that much harder, just if it gets beni off would be anying.

After the second or third kill, 1 person left, and all we had was brd whm and mnk... still dropped it w/o any probs or any real danger.
[+]
 Leviathan.Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2014-12-28 15:02:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Have you even tried to fight him at 119 with a magic evasion set Protey? They way you're talking about his magic accuracy makes it sound like you think he's level 125+

i got him down to 10% a couple months ago (and then the *** did bendediction) with some difficulty. chainspell meteor is no joke. Almost all meteors are resisted greatly, but even then it's a lot of damage since it's a nuke every couple seconds.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2014-12-28 15:23:21
Link | Quote | Reply

thief in full magic evasion gear would near completely resist all chainspell nukes and even if meteor landed 100% on a fluke; you've got such high mdt and extreme HP and MDB and INT it would never one shot you. The same set made me near immune to charm and meteor from Rani for an hour of testing for example.

It dealt 3.5k to my RDM with MDB gear, traits, capped MDT, and capped Phalanx.

It'll kill a THF.

Edit: And like Protey said, you don't have just a single Meteor to worry about whether it'll be mitigated or flat-out kill you, you have many Meteors in quick succession during chainspell. It doesn't even need to fully land to kill a THF, just be bombarded with half-resists, etc.

Like I said before, it isn't too common, atleast for where a mage class with all it's Magic Evasion is concerned, but it can happen.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2014-12-28 15:25:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Giaden said: »
He's basically a joke.

After the second or third kill, 1 person left, and all we had was brd whm and mnk... still dropped it w/o any probs or any real danger.

I wonder what you consider dangerous and actual problems.

Post deleted by User.
By Giaden 2014-12-28 15:35:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Danger as in, low hp, any real dmg done to the party. I believe one person went into the yellow on hp.
I didn't mean to say one person left in the party alive. I ment to say one DD left. With a party of brd whm and DD(mnk).
I Still have 2-3 AV sets left over. I'll probably get with a friend and Stream it live. And we'll just Duo it up probably later.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2014-12-28 15:41:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »

It dealt 3.5k to my RDM with MDB gear, traits, capped MDT, and capped Phalanx.

It'll kill a THF.
So you're saying the base meteor damage to a 119 character without mdb or mdt or buffs is like over 9000 almost? Hmmm

Seems excessive; I'm definitely convinced to do a thief soloing video.

Well, Absolute Virtue has always had insanely high MAB, and Meteor has always dealt extreme amount of damage. I could be wrong about this, but it way also work like other -ga spells in that the damage is reduced with the amount of players in range? Regardless, it has always dealt very high damage.

Level alone accounts for nothing in regards to damage mitigation, other than resist rate. And if something happens to fully land, which it can, you're going to take the full damage before magic reduction abilities.

I'm not saying THF can't solo it, I'm saying there will be times where Absolute Virtue is going to absolutely destroy you if you happen to be unlucky. All there is to it.

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-12-28 17:54:15
Link | Quote | Reply

119 means a lot more INT to counter AV's high INT; definitely not something to scoff at.

Last time I fought him he didn't get a chance to chainspell though

You can definitely burn him down before he has a chance to be much of a threat, but standing there and face tanking his fury WILL kill even the best geared THF. It's just a matter of luck, sadly.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-12-28 18:03:37
Link | Quote | Reply

i'm sure soloing AV on thf is possible, but if you go in there with a single popset and nobody to sac for you, the odds you'll win are pretty low.. thf/sam using sekka evisc > stacked 3000 rudras might be able to near enough one shot it if the DT doesn't get a chance to increase between rudras and the darkness sc

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-12-28 18:50:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Sam could probably burn him down, but if it bene's, game over.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2014-12-28 19:15:27
Link | Quote | Reply

For solo, killing him asap is what I would prioritize. I just wouldn't risk prolonging the fight..

So SAM or THF, doing what Comeatmebro suggested would be best imo, but both have it's risks quite frankly.

Jobs like BLU and RDM are definitely more likely to survive his wraith, but they'll also give him more chances to unleash his wraith.
 Carbuncle.Yottaxa
Server: Carbuncle
user: Yottaxa
By Carbuncle.Yottaxa 2014-12-28 19:15:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Have tried solo on Sam with trusts - its quite tricky when the adds spawn. A good sam and a real whm should be ok.
 Odin.Sheelay
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2014-12-28 19:20:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I tried AV once on THF with 'just' my trust npcs (albeit the setup wasn't probably optimal).

I wasn't really going for it, as I was more interested in just JoL for the earrings and some old school entertainment. That, and the fact I was charmed a few times by JoL, meaning my NPCs had to be re-summoned and probably weren't fully buffed by the time AV popped, meant AV took just 1-2 Meteor to kill them off (Yes, I was blessed by the CS/Manafont combo).

Aside from the utility of trust NPCs in that occasion, I found my less than perfect THF to be quite resistant against his spells overall. In the end, by the time he killed me I had taken out around 70/75% of his HP (praise the eyeball powa).

Some weeks later I and a few Ls mates enjoyed beating him with ease.

Solo? Maybe. Duo? Surely.
 Valefor.Ophannus
Server: Valefor
user: Ophannus
By Valefor.Ophannus 2014-12-28 19:32:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Aegis PLD could easily solo it, if he chainspells put on aegis and MDB gear and just cure or waltz between animations. CDC does like 7-8k, wouldn't have to do too many before he dies, even with his 100/tick regen. Might have to worry about Medusa Javelin petrifying you though. Pre-SoA debuffs can last for 2-3min.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2014-12-28 19:38:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Ophannus said: »
Aegis PLD could easily solo it, if he chainspells put on aegis and MDB gear and pray.

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2014-12-28 19:52:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Josiahfk said: »
if he chainspells put on aegis and MDB gear and just cure or waltz between animations
Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »
Aegis PLD could easily solo it, if he chainspells put on aegis and MDB gear and pray.
sanguine blade ftw

Sometimes people forget the basics...
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-12-28 19:55:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd be surprised if you could keep up with chainspell meteor with sanguine blade, the TP gain required and timing would be tricky to say the least.
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2014-12-28 19:59:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
I'd be surprised if you could keep up with chainspell meteor with sanguine blade, the TP gain required and timing would be tricky to say the least.

Sometimes people also forget humor...

D:
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2014-12-28 22:02:17
Link | Quote | Reply

or train the entire zone to AV and do battle with him for epic Tp-gain-ness!

and by the whole zone I mean outside jailers included! all the things!
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-12-31 14:05:36
Link | Quote | Reply

GEO Bolster -> -> Fade -> Vex and Entrust an Indi-Acumen to your trust. Sub ninja or DNC and widdle him down. I imagine nothing magic related can touch a GEO's defense. Obviously Shellra5 & hasting trusts to give you good attack speed. Flash Nova's and stuff.
 Leviathan.Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2014-12-31 21:00:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
GEO Bolster -> -> Fade -> Vex and Entrust an Indi-Acumen to your trust. Sub ninja or DNC and widdle him down. I imagine nothing magic related can touch a GEO's defense. Obviously Shellra5 & hasting trusts to give you good attack speed. Flash Nova's and stuff.

While that is "going it alone", using trusts is not "solo".