New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » I <3 DRK... Should I cry
I <3 DRK... Should I cry
First Page 2 3 4
By Victorion 2014-11-14 18:05:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi everyone,

So, I am a returning player and still getting everything sorted out.

I love DRK- I took it to lvl70 for my Maat fight, though plan to take THF and COR to 99 before anything else to get some gear and gil sorted.

Reading the treads, it seems that DRK doesn't really have a place end game. I am wondering if it doesn't have a place unless exceptionally geared, or is it just sort of fail no matter how well geared (i.e. other jobs fill the roll better 90%+ no matter what)?

Basically... is it worth putting the time into gearing DRK, or should I just have a cry and get over it?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By camaroz 2014-11-14 18:19:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Crying and dark all in one sentence. /thread

If you love Dark then play it, it's an amazing job unlike any other in this game. Set some goals and complete them, rinse/repeat

Dark guide
[+]
 Bismarck.Bongarippa
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Bongarippa 2014-11-14 18:20:07
Link | Quote | Reply

If you enjoy drk, play it. Who cares if its not a the best dd. If you enjoy it, gear it. That being said, I'd recommend gearing up a support job or healer to get stuff for your job. War is my favorite job and I'm working on a mythic for it, but I have both brd and cor ready to go if I need to get items for war.
[+]
By volkom 2014-11-14 18:25:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Let your heart be consumed by the dark powers and feast on the souls of your enemies.
[+]
 Bahamut.Protectorchrono
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Protectorchrono 2014-11-14 18:26:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Victorion said: »
Hi everyone,

So, I am a returning player and still getting everything sorted out.

I love DRK- I took it to lvl70 for my Maat fight, though plan to take THF and COR to 99 before anything else to get some gear and gil sorted.

Reading the treads, it seems that DRK doesn't really have a place end game. I am wondering if it doesn't have a place unless exceptionally geared, or is it just sort of fail no matter how well geared (i.e. other jobs fill the roll better 90%+ no matter what)?

Basically... is it worth putting the time into gearing DRK, or should I just have a cry and get over it?

Speaking as a lover of DRK, I have to say that DRK is what you make of it. If your DRK isn't accepted in some groups then f*** them and start your own group. DRK still has it's uses in endgame content so whoever says DRK is useless now or what not then they're obviously not true DRKs. Work on getting AF/Relic gear for your DRK or do some delve/skirmish to work on getting some 119 armor/weapons etc. If you work on Relic DRK weapons that's great too but if you don't have them, there are better options at this point of the game.
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
Server: Leviathan
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2014-11-14 19:09:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

Helll~o
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2014-11-14 19:09:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Dark Knight enjoyed a brief existence atop the throne of strongest DD after being dominated by SAM (and then WAR) for years. It is quite unfortunate you were not around for that, it was quite a piece of history for Dark Knight, something that probably won't ever happen again. Let's sincerely hope not, anyway.

Now it is back to being dominated by SAM once again, and natural order is restored in Vana'diel.
 Siren.Finality
Server: Siren
user: Finality
By Siren.Finality 2014-11-14 19:27:11
Link | Quote | Reply

My view has always been play what you want to play. What's the point of playing a video game were you can't do what you want? If you're good at your job and know how to gear, you'll be fine. I've won plenty of EG events on DRK. That said, leaders get to choose what jobs they invite and most people seem to think that a shitty player playing a high-tier job is preferable to a great player on a lower-tier job.
Get your -DT sets topped off, make varying levels of accuracy sets, play your job well, Shout for your own groups, enjoy the game.
 Quetzalcoatl.Commencal
user: Scwall
By Quetzalcoatl.Commencal 2014-11-14 19:34:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Most badass, motherfuckin job, in the whole ***' game.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Lakshmi.Neboh
Server: Lakshmi
user: Neboh
By Lakshmi.Neboh 2014-11-14 19:50:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, DRK is worth it. Is it the best DD in the game? No. Can it still do decent damage? Yes. Whoever told you that DRKs don't have a place in end game is stupid. Yes there better DD options but that doesn't mean DRK isn't good. If you just followed everyone else, you probably wouldn't have as much as fun. That's my 2 cents.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2014-11-14 20:00:02
Link | Quote | Reply

It's sad because I don't see many DRKs anymore. I have been playing DRK for ten years, and it really has gone through stages of strength. It appears MNK and SAM are used more nowadays, they have more tools to stay alive and deliver consistent damage. Nevetheless, I have played DRK in all the current endgame events. Skirmish, Delve, Wildskeeper, Incursion, Unity, all of these events are available to a good dark knight. You need to be well geared, preferably using a Ragnarok or Liberator 119 to keep up with other DD, but it really is fun. I have THF and COR too, they have 119 gear galore, but I will never have as much on them than I do DRK.

Sometimes I know THF will be better. Or the party needs them extra buffs so I will go COR. But if I can get away with it, I will go on DRK, and I will end up tanking NM, and surviving. When I get a party where I'm not taking the hate, I know I am with good DD (and there are some excellent DD on Cerberus that blow me away), and I can really go all out. DRK requires a good use of TP sets, weaponskill sets, and dark magic/absorb sets to get the best out of it. Yes, dark magic is unique, and you should be using it when you can without hurting your dps too much.

The overall damage of DRK is really good. We tend to fall behind on mega boss like Tojil when damage phases come into it, (formless strikes, and the last 25%), but you make up for it in other ways (like tojil from 50%-25%), so you can still contribute.

A DRK with a good damage taken set can survive. We have good defense, and there are plenty of options nowadays to make decent damage taken sets. All I can say is, pull your weight, and people will notice that, and they will invite you back over an average MNK. It's just become the norm to ask for a MNK or SAM because more people have those jobs leveled.
 Quetzalcoatl.Commencal
user: Scwall
By Quetzalcoatl.Commencal 2014-11-14 20:06:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Stunning is actually really nice for some recent EG events. By no means are they a main stunner, they are still decent to have as a back up.

Top that off by playing it with a Liberator, which enhances Absorb spells. Absorb-AGI can ultimately increase critical hit rate for all DD.

There have always been EG events melee class don't fit into.
 Phoenix.Urteil
Server: Phoenix
user: Urteil89
By Phoenix.Urteil 2014-11-14 20:06:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I do good damage, I live longer than most. That is through proper mitigation sets and a well timed magic evasion/shadow ring/mitigation set.

My stun timer on DRK is 9s~ /rdm or otherwise.

PvE Relevance:
1. Stunning (emergency or full)
2. Torcleaver (the thing that made PLD Damage a Real Boy)

Many WS (Insurgency being one) scale very well to 2000 tp, it synergizes well with camping stuns. If people don't understand why stunning a move that applies debuffs/stops DPS is not inceasing DPS, then move on to my Linkshell and come play with people are good at this game:

stopsoup.guildwork.com

I am able to contribute with Requiescat in certain situations, and our nuking power while it isn't the best, allows us to switch to a backline role if a competent Geomancer is around.

PvE is fun and PvP is fun, I have found that wielding varied weapon types such as Shield + Sword/Axe (or a 2hander when necessary) success against very powerful jobs such as RUN, RDM, BLM and BLU.

DRK needs some updates but good riddance to all these "other people."

It would be nice to find and fight a good DRK. I'm on Phoenix and please talk to me any time.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2014-11-14 20:14:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Urteil said: »
I am able to contribute with Requiescat in certain situations, and our nuking power while it isn't the best, allows us to switch to a backline role if a competent Geomancer is around.

Do you have a Req set? I was thinking about adding that to my list of macros.
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2014-11-14 20:16:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes I do. I can't post it right now, I'd have to go pull it out of my GS which is at home.

Also.

Infernal Scythe = 25% attack down.

Infernal Scythe + Bio 3 vs. Physical Mob = Everyone Lives with ease!
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2014-11-14 20:19:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes I do. I can't post it right now, I'd have to go pull it out of my GS which is at home.

Also.

Infernal Scythe = 25% attack down.

Infernal Scythe + Bio 3 vs. Physical Mob = Everyone Lives with ease!

Ugh, why do you have to be such a genius? I have too many macros already. You know what WS I like nowadays? Shockwave. It's pretty good now and can sleep lots of mobs for a long time. Great for older content like dynamis, or just messing about in adoulin areas. Started working on a set for it yesterday to see what I can get out of it.
 Cerberus.Slain
By Cerberus.Slain 2014-11-14 20:27:44
Link | Quote | Reply

DRK can do great DMG however it has piss poor DEF making it a MP sponge and on top of that it has to rely on sacrificing its own HP to maximize its DMG making it even more of a MP sponge. Its fine for older content but it is not ideal for new content.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-14 21:02:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Unless you're exploiting some kind of game mechanic or right on the ragged edge of top tier content, what DD job you bring is less important than WHO you bring. Sure, DRK isn't optimal, but it isn't a hindrance. Make friends who recognize your skill or aren't afraid to do things a little different and you'll be fine.
[+]
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2014-11-14 22:45:14
Link | Quote | Reply

DRK has pretty high natural defense outclassed only by Paladin through traits, but in general DRK has access to the most defensive armor in the game. Our VIT is also high (sucks that VIT sucks).

Truly we need some help in this department, but the game is far from unplayable.

Paladin and Dark Knight live about the same when the shield is not a factor. (factoring out JA's like sentinel)

If your offense is killing you in certain fights I could suggest full timing the Fallen's Sollerets +1. I don't personally use these boots outside of PvP but with Last Resort up I only lose about 100 def with the shoes on.

With PDT swaps, and the ability to cure myself for 600+ with Cure IV even when I'm under fire I can turtle up and usually be saved.

We run content with a RUN a lot, which is perhaps one of the most underrated jobs. A melee trio of DRK PLD RUN is incredibly powerful with valliance allowing the jobs to spam whatever magic they feel is applicable. I constantly spam (along with the other two members) Dread Spikes and Cure IV @ 80% fastcast, along with flashes on mob TP moves, and stun!

Blink is granted by the RUN sub, any job with valliance/vallation on them from a main RUN can now spam blink and increase their survival ability greatly.

People are very concerned with debuffing defense when I feel that mitigating the monsters offense can usually be done at the same time and to better effect.

I find that even without all the above conditionals, my ability to intelligently PDT/Defender and also turn off Berserk etc. when it gets too dangerous contributes to my success.

In the end I can competently say that I bring:

A very large amount of damage.

A tanking/surviving ability requiring split second gear changes that is vastly underrated, under used, and misunderstood.

Debuffing power via stuns or voiding© (nethervoid + dark seal + absorb) agility or intelligence etc. My favorite tactic when using an evasive tank like RUN or NIN (or anyone at all) is absorb-acc + absorb-dex + blind II (from a RDM).

Enfeebling utility via break, sleep, bind, gravity, dispel that can be accented through sub job choice if desired.

Infinite MP via entropy which becomes very very relevant for six-man content. Nobody complains about a 600hp cure no matter where it comes from.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Konvict
Server: Lakshmi
user: Smasher
By Lakshmi.Konvict 2014-11-14 22:48:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Get Apoc > 119 it > use Catastrophe > Beat game
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2014-11-14 22:51:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone seen any red shoes? The clown is missing from the circus.
 Asura.Fiv
Server: Asura
user: Gares
By Asura.Fiv 2014-11-14 23:05:29
Link | Quote | Reply

DRK has pretty high natural defense outclassed only by Paladin through traits, but in general DRK has access to the most defensive armor in the game. Our VIT is also high (sucks that VIT sucks).

Truly we need some help in this department, but the game is far from unplayable.

Paladin and Dark Knight live about the same when the shield is not a factor. (factoring out JA's like sentinel)

If your offense is killing you in certain fights I could suggest full timing the Fallen's Sollerets +1. I don't personally use these boots outside of PvP but with Last Resort up I only lose about 100 def with the shoes on.

With PDT swaps, and the ability to cure myself for 600+ with Cure IV even when I'm under fire I can turtle up and usually be saved.

We run content with a RUN a lot, which is perhaps one of the most underrated jobs. A melee trio of DRK PLD RUN is incredibly powerful with valliance allowing the jobs to spam whatever magic they feel is applicable. I constantly spam (along with the other two members) Dread Spikes and Cure IV @ 80% fastcast, along with flashes on mob TP moves, and stun!

Blink is granted by the RUN sub, any job with valliance/vallation on them from a main RUN can now spam blink and increase their survival ability greatly.

People are very concerned with debuffing defense when I feel that mitigating the monsters offense can usually be done at the same time and to better effect.

I find that even without all the above conditionals, my ability to intelligently PDT/Defender and also turn off Berserk etc. when it gets too dangerous contributes to my success.

In the end I can competently say that I bring:

A very large amount of damage.

A tanking/surviving ability requiring split second gear changes that is vastly underrated, under used, and misunderstood.

Debuffing power via stuns or voiding© (nethervoid + dark seal + absorb) agility or intelligence etc. My favorite tactic when using an evasive tank like RUN or NIN (or anyone at all) is absorb-acc + absorb-dex + blind II (from a RDM).

Enfeebling utility via break, sleep, bind, gravity, dispel that can be accented through sub job choice if desired.

Infinite MP via entropy which becomes very very relevant for six-man content. Nobody complains about a 600hp cure no matter where it comes from.

I want to take this post seriously, but i assume when your talking defense and /rdm on drk you must be talking about some kind of easy solo content, or you have no whm friends and like to do ilvl content very poorly.

I'm not against correctly using -DT gear when its needed, but taking it to an extreme at the hindrance of your dd output for essentially no reason is just silly. Thats not to say DRK is a bad DD either, as said a few posts above its more about the player, but almost any job can do any content with the right players, it has nothing to do with being defensive anymore.
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2014-11-14 23:08:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I am not full timing PDT gear.
You shouldn't be taken seriously.
As your assessment of the job and its worth, and utility available, is found not only wanting but infested with ignorance.

In closing, before I depart from this dumbass thread.

Try /BLU you'll find it doesn't delay your magic timers/casting and anything physical that can't dispel or apply a consistent defense down debuff will have a hard time killing you.

Your mages will thank you and yes you might do less damage because you aren't /SAM or /WAR (which I prefer over the two). If the subjob selection was truly the problem between you performing well or not, you had bigger problems to begin with.
 Asura.Fiv
user: Gares
By Asura.Fiv 2014-11-14 23:36:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I am not full timing PDT gear.
You shouldn't be taken seriously.
As your assessment of the job and its worth, and utility available, is found not only wanting but infested with ignorance.

In closing, before I depart from this dumbass thread.

Try /BLU you'll find it doesn't delay your magic timers/casting and anything physical that can't dispel or apply a consistent defense down debuff will have a hard time killing you.

Your mages will thank you and yes you might do less damage because you aren't /SAM or /WAR (which I prefer over the two). If the subjob selection was truly the problem between you performing well or not, you had bigger problems to begin with.

I never said you were full timing PDT gear, i was referring to you hindering your damage with a mage sub job when you cross into any high level content. Just facing the fact that any DD job can be used with the right players as long as they play smart and there support are decent, but when you have to start hindering yourself with more then just using -DT gear properly then your just adding to the gap in damage that other DD jobs are already leading you in. I'm an advocate to breaking the mold and not just killing everything with 2 SAM, even if its not quite as good, but if its not quite as good and you have to go so far out of your way to make it safer and even less comparable to other DD jobs then it becomes a waste of time and effort.
 Phoenix.Michiiru
user: Michiiru
By Phoenix.Michiiru 2014-11-14 23:47:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Hohenheim said: »
Quote:

Helll~o

Easy there Hoho old boy.
[+]
By Victorion 2014-11-15 03:30:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. Makes me happy that it will be viable/usable :D

I'll definitely be taking DRK to lvl 99 once I am a little more situated (i.e. have actually played some endgame content, and get get gear for DRK).

Thanks everyone.
 Asura.Failaras
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2014-11-15 03:36:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
What? You just need to cast LR with them on fulltiming them does nothing but add some subtle blow to Last Resort.

Also this thread is hilarious, Drk isn't unplayable and is your average mid range DD right now. Please god do not sub Blu, use Apoc, use Infernal Scythe, or basically do anything suggested in this thread.
First Page 2 3 4