Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Samurai » Archery and SAM
Archery and SAM
First Page 2
By Luthiene 2014-11-06 13:07:05
Link | Quote | Reply

What would be the fastest and most efficient way to skillup archery on Samurai? Mind you, I dont have RNG nor I wanna do it through sparks books - Just stick to Old Fashion.
 Bahamut.Scizor
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Scizor
By Bahamut.Scizor 2014-11-06 13:11:47
Link | Quote | Reply

whats your current skill level?
By Luthiene 2014-11-06 13:12:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Loire
Server: Asura
user: Bunnygod
By Asura.Loire 2014-11-06 13:13:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Luthiene said: »
What would be the fastest and most efficient way to skillup archery on Samurai? Mind you, I dont have RNG nor I wanna do it through sparks books - Just stick to Old Fashion.
Poop arrows, as much snapshot as you can muster, low dmg bow and go pew pew lair/colonization reives with ionis, skill up gear from sparks, combat skillup earring and food if you are a little bit higher in combat skill already instead of sushi. Make sure you stand at max shooting distance.
By Luthiene 2014-11-06 13:14:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Loire said: »
Poop arrows, as much snapshot as you can muster, low dmg bow and go pew pew lair/colonization reives with ionis, skill up gear from sparks, combat skillup earring and food if you are a little bit higher in combat skill already instead of sushi. Make sure you stand at max shooting distance.

I thought max shooting distance only affected dmg?
 Asura.Elreck
user: Nodar
By Asura.Elreck 2014-11-06 13:15:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Reives for sure just find one where noone is and use windowers autora you only need to check back once in a while to reload arrows.
 Asura.Loire
By Asura.Loire 2014-11-06 13:18:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought max shooting distance only affected dmg?
To avoid mob aggro
By Luthiene 2014-11-06 13:19:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Would Lamian Kaman/+1 be the lowest delay bow i can use on SAM? And does the delay of the ammo not account for anything in the shooting process?
 Asura.Loire
By Asura.Loire 2014-11-06 13:24:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Would Lamian Kaman/+1 be the lowest delay bow i can use on SAM? And does the delay of the ammo not account for anything in the shooting process?
Can't really look up bows for you right now, typing on my phone. With your skill being that low you may need to use an ilevel bow that has combat skill since you'd be missing being at 0. Once you are around 250 skill should be clear to use a poop bow.
 Bahamut.Scizor
Server: Bahamut
user: Scizor
By Bahamut.Scizor 2014-11-06 13:44:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Eminent bow would be your best bet, remember to stay under 1000% TP for the latent effect
By Luthiene 2014-11-06 14:06:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, I'm guessing Apex Arrow is the ranged WS of choice for non relic SAMs? Deviating slightly from topic, I know Fudo is a must, but is Shoha also worth unlocking?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-06 14:07:00
Link | Quote | Reply

The delay factors into tp return, but as far as accuracy, no. I used Phulax bow to recap archery. It's iLVL-109, so it has a decent amount of archery skill on it, plus it has ranged accuracy and 360 delay. With cheap arrows, I just shot at roots in reives until I got to the mid 300's. Ionis and skillup gear, stack ranged accuracy in every slot you can, buy lots of cheap arrows, /RNG for scavenge and sharpshot, etc. It's boring as can be, but it shouldn't take all that long.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-06 14:17:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, I'm guessing Apex Arrow is the ranged WS of choice for non relic SAMs? Deviating slightly from topic, I know Fudo is a must, but is Shoha also worth unlocking?

Apex is really the only archery WS that SAM can realistically utilize. All other archery WS are only available to SAM/RNG. It's just a catch 22. If you're using ranged damage it's because you're exploiting a specific mob weakness, like Bee. But, basically everything else in the zone favors Fudo. So, you'd be gimping your damage for 5/6 of the run to get a little more on 1/6.

Apex's big issue is that it doesn't have a ranged accuracy bonus, so you can't gear or buff for damage on anything that matters.

Apex and Shoha are both worth 1 merit for me personally, and I can't imagine many job combinations where you couldn't justify 1 in each of them, but they aren't necessary.
 Ragnarok.Fabiano
Server: Ragnarok
user: fabiano
By Ragnarok.Fabiano 2014-11-06 14:35:12
Link | Quote | Reply

cheap arrowa and lamian kaman / +1 . and autra addon for windower

can even do it with 0 skill on reives.
By Luthiene 2014-11-06 14:40:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
If you're using ranged damage it's because you're exploiting a specific mob weakness, like Bee. But, basically everything else in the zone favors Fudo. So, you'd be gimping your damage for 5/6 of the run to get a little more on 1/6.
Oh, I didnt know you were able to use Apex if you were not subbing RNG. Why would I sub RNG in the first place then? What would be your WS of choice?

Also, I just looked into the RNG page and found Accuracy Bonus as one of its traits. Does regular accuracy affect ranged accuracy too? If so, how much R.Acc = 1 acc ?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-06 14:45:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
If you're using ranged damage it's because you're exploiting a specific mob weakness, like Bee. But, basically everything else in the zone favors Fudo. So, you'd be gimping your damage for 5/6 of the run to get a little more on 1/6.
Oh, I didnt know you were able to use Apex if you were not subbing RNG. Why would I sub RNG in the first place then? What would be your WS of choice?

Also, I just looked into the RNG page and found Accuracy Bonus as one of its traits. Does regular accuracy affect ranged accuracy too? If so, how much R.Acc = 1 acc ?

Apex and Namas are the only archery WS that SAM can use without /RNG. That said, Refulgent Arrow and Sidewinder are both quite powerful. I haven't done direct comparisons, but they should both beat Apex for outright damage, it's the loss of /WAR that hurts overall damage too much.

Ranged accuracy is it's own category. Accuracy is physical accuracy only.

I'm sure others could break the WS's and setups down a lot better. I use Apex in very specific situations only because I do not have Yoichi and play SAM in most content.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-11-06 14:53:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Having (and 5/5ing) shoha should be a priority for any serious SAM, it's very important to multi-step skillchains, and in that sense the extra merits count double(you also gain the skillchain damage whenever you use it).

Apex is useful if you don't have yoichi, or if you want to use koga/bow together. Personally, I use tsurumaru/namas over koga/apex, because most of the fights will last 90 seconds or less and it's not worth changing buffs(apex will need either a heavy r.acc set or preludes to be reliable on most endgame, these will result in it losing quite a bit of ground vs namas). If a situation existed where you needed piercing damage, but had adequate r.atk/r.acc, koga/apex would be a good choice.
 Leviathan.Kjotu
Server: Leviathan
user: kjLotus
By Leviathan.Kjotu 2014-11-06 15:29:44
Link | Quote | Reply

accuracy doesn't give ranged accuracy, but the accuracy bonus trait gives both
 Odin.Skjalf
MSPaint Winner
By Odin.Skjalf 2014-11-06 16:53:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Would consider leveling RNG to 57 to use Loxley Bow. This is probably the best, fastest way without using skill up books. RNG57... only 8 levels after sub job cap which is good to have for archery procs when you are SAM99/RNG49.
By Pantafernando 2014-11-06 17:05:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Skjalf said: »

Would consider leveling RNG to 57 to use Loxley Bow. This is probably the best, fastest way without using skill up books. RNG57... only 8 levels after sub job cap which is good to have for archery procs when you are SAM99/RNG49.

With just the time you spend to level to 57, you can skill up far past that level with skill up gear, ionis and trusts as sam 99.

But in fact, I would level RNG, to 99. Having more jobs to 99 is never a bad thing, it will always be useful at some point.
 Odin.Skjalf
MSPaint Winner
By Odin.Skjalf 2014-11-06 17:10:10
Link | Quote | Reply

>.< that is what Skjalf should have said... to 99... doesn't take long to leech a job to 99 :x
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-11-06 18:40:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow that is all so different from back in the day. Back then you skilled up on worms and ate cheap sushi. I would bring a RDM friend to silence the worms.

SAM/RNG was a personal favorite. And the /RNG WSs are well worth it.

The delay on arrows only factors in for TP return.
By Chyula 2014-11-06 18:55:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Holy ***we still use the old skill up way when you can use spark for skill up scrolls either from building up spark or buy it for around 35-40k a stack. just put on any aoe nuke job head over to abys and you'll cap 50k spark in less than 2hrs.
By Pantafernando 2014-11-06 19:09:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Chyula said: »
Holy ***we still use the old skill up way when you can use spark for skill up scrolls either from building up spark or buy it for around 35-40k a stack. just put on any aoe nuke job head over to abys and you'll cap 50k spark in less than 2hrs.

I think i somehow missed you old chyula, been long time since i read your troolings.

Capping 50k sparks just will take 2h in gain exp roe, and that just happens 3x in a week, an for just 3h. And, from zero till cap, you gonna need around 300k sparks. If you consider 10g per spark ratio, youre giving up at least 3m to cap by sparks.

Add this to min 4 secs cooldown to use a page, 50k spark would be 21 stacks, 300k would be 126 stacks, so at least more 1h40m just burning pages.

Also worth mention, till 200ish skills, skilling by combat is way faster than burning pages, so, if going by skill up books, use it starting 200.
 Asura.Loire
By Asura.Loire 2014-11-06 19:57:50
Link | Quote | Reply

If you are spending your sparks on skill up pages, you are doing it wrong.
By Chyula 2014-11-06 20:00:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »

I think i somehow missed you old chyula, been long time since i read your troolings.

Capping 50k sparks just will take 2h in gain exp roe, and that just happens 3x in a week, an for just 3h. And, from zero till cap, you gonna need around 300k sparks. If you consider 10g per spark ratio, youre giving up at least 3m to cap by sparks.

Add this to min 4 secs cooldown to use a page, 50k spark would be 21 stacks, 300k would be 126 stacks, so at least more 1h40m just burning pages.

Also worth mention, till 200ish skills, skilling by combat is way faster than burning pages, so, if going by skill up books, use it starting 200.

you talking like range have no delay and miss, and you are wrong thinking exp roe. 500 dmg roe + 30 area kill roe + a 3rd on mob type or exp gain or seal or whatever the requirement is. Gotta use that bun underneath the skull. Shooting below 200 skill isnt going to net you a huge advantage compare using book, you can easily get 0.3 to 0.5 on low level skills with books too.
By Chyula 2014-11-06 20:00:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm a cheap mofo I spend spark on emi ammo!
By Pantafernando 2014-11-06 20:13:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Thats a good point about ammo.

While skilling as a rng you can have 90% recycle rate, with sam you gonna need lots of inv space to stack arrows.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-06 20:18:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »

Thats a good point about ammo.

While skilling as a rng you can have 90% recycle rate, with sam you gonna need lots of inv space to stack arrows.

I was able to go from 0 to cap on SAM with less than half a stack of quivers. Excessive inventory space isn't an issue, just use scavenge and all the skillup assistance you can.
By Luthiene 2014-11-07 18:14:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Ive just burnt through aprox 1.5 stack of quivers and got it from 0 to 280. Its not half a stack to cap, but its better than what i was expecting.

Ive done everything mentioned above: Ionis, Sakura Trust, Food, just missing the earring... but oh well, its getting the job done.
First Page 2