Forum » FFXIV » General » A word to our player community
A word to our player community
 Carbuncle.Ceruleanknight
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Ideki
By Carbuncle.Ceruleanknight 2014-05-04 13:00:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Before I start, I would like to thank you for taking the time to read my post.

I am playing the game since august 2013, after playing XI for roughly 9 years, and I would like to share my view of the game community.

I really think that we are lucky because the DEV team is making a great effort to deliver content as soon as possible, even if its not alway done the right way (Atmas I'm aiming at you...)

However I would like to point out what I consider the worst part of the game, the community. Before you get the idea that its another rant post, it is not. I can totally understand everyone's motive for acting in a way instead of another and I am no one to judge it.

But I really think we (all of us) need to make an effort in order to make this game community better, for ourselves and for the persons standing next to us.

I am going to start with the duty finder, a wonderfull tool that we all use everydays. As I play WAR most of the time I would like to talk about the behavior directed at me or a healers. I mention it because I kind of see it every days, not alway aimed at me but even from a DPS to another DPS.

1) The players who want to pressure us for the sake of 3 ridiculous minutes and then proceed to ragequit when something go wrong because of their own behavior.

2) The free insults for the sake of insulting with no consequences, disregarding the problem (Yes, its wrong to tell another player that they sucks at the game because your have a 40 iLv difference betwin you & him, a tank doesn't sucks because as an iLv60 he cannot keep the hate against 2-4 DPS iLv90+) he doesn't suck at the game, he is undergeared compared to you, thats a difference you need to adapt to. The goes when you're a iLv90+ DPS looking down at a iLv65-80 DPS.

3) Instant ragequit, you may be lucky enough to get an instant queue, or unlucky to wait 15-20+ mins to get in a DJ, however the problem is not only down to you, you have 3-7 others players who may have been waiting as long as you in the worst case. Its totaly selfish to just leave a random donjon assigned by the duty roulette, just because its not the DJ you wanted, or because by looking at the other you assume that a speed run isn't possible. Be a team player and assume the fact you used the DR (randomness.)

4)Regarding Speed-runs, it is already covered in the point 1 to 3 so I wont add anything to it.

The "1 Fail = kick" mentality:

I have to admit that this one was and is still surprising for me, i'm even more surprised to see that its becoming normal. And to talk about this I would like to open with 2 questions:

1) What is your interest in this?
2) What does it bring positively to you and to the community?

This is all great and understood, you don't have the time to play nice, but you have the time to wait up to 1h? to make your perfect party setup with no fail. Then the human nature come back to strike and "Oh god! this BRD couldn't avoid the quadruple Landslide! Kick!" and back to wait for someone in the party finder.

Now to come back on my two questions, here are your answers:

1) Its your own interest, however due to many experiments the players who do that, if they are honest a minimum will tell you that 70-80% of the time they have to kick someone & redo a PF. Is it really serving your interest that well if its working up to 20-30% of the time? think about it.

1b) Did I forget to mention that you're playing a MMO? oh damn me! I did. Yeah you're playing a MMO, and this behavior can be compared to discrimination! Maybe its time to look back at your single player games!

2) It bring absolutely nothing positive, why? because you do not help anyone to get better, the game is all new and lots of people are playing, but don't expect it to be like this too long, especialy with such a mentality. We know that you're the best and we know that you did it so many time that now you can clear the content using your toes to play, however its not a reason! not a valid one.. And guess what? a monkey could do the same so nothing to brag about here.

This on the long run will result in less and less players meeting the requirments to do harder content with you, and those who will be able to do it will do it less with the PF/DF and focus doing it with their friends, leaving all sense of community/MMO to a restricted 8 players group. Is that really how you see a MMO?
What are the results? You will find less people to play with you when your buddies arn't online, you will wait for a longer period in the party finder because of what I said above and so on.

This is good, if it work for you today its perfect and I am happy for you, however did you think of tomorrow? or in 6 months? pretty sure you did not.

I really do love this game as much as you do, don't you think it is time to make it better, for everyone to enjoy it? even if it mean that you have to spend 10 more mins in a donjon, or to spend 25 mins explaining a strat to someone instead of waiting 40-50 mins for a perfect party which has 70-80% of chance to be a failure due to human nature?

What this game become is all down to us in term of enjoyment, of course practicaly its on the shoulders of the DEV team, but we are master of our daily activities, and sometime making the best of things isn't one shoting everything.

One last thing, Ghandi used to say "One eye for an eye make the whole world blind.." its not because someone's an *** to you that you have to become an *** yourself.

Thanks again for reading my post, may the twelve bless your way every days in Eorzea.

Cerulean Knight, Ragnarok Server.