Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » Monk today- rethinking some things
Monk today- rethinking some things
By cervelo84 2014-02-04 07:42:40
Link | Quote | Reply

So monk in FFXi is quite strong. I just got Verethragna and have been testing out things. With oats I was doing salvage II with a war sj no problems. Now I do WOE with war sj. I was looking into merits and will probably change things around.

I want to get rid of Formless strikes and enhance my Chakra. With the new evasion gear its easy to go through 10-15 old content mobs before needing to heal 800-1000 hp.

I was also looking into Penance. This one is interesting. Is it true that this will basically cause the monster you are attacking to prefer 0 tp moves for its duration? I am thinking of the impact this would have on Arch dynamis Lord after the split. Assuming you target the right one with Chi Blast. I always thought that tp moves were USED after the accumulation of damage taken + damage dealt. Although some monsters like the Khimira in Salvage II seem to use tp on a timer.

So In closing I would like to get peoples thoughts on group 2 of monk merits and Penance and the exact effects of it. I also see that the melee crown enhances its effect. Interesting. Monk/war on old content is certainly something I find more fun then /dnc.

( I don't do delve and haven't used Formless strikes in many months.) maybe only on a pld if he uses invicible in AA or dynamis) even then not worth the merits imo.)
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-02-04 07:56:36
Link | Quote | Reply

It doesn't help much on mobs that get TP from regain. It's very noticable on those that don't. Penance and Invigorate are not bad merits, but if you aren't positive you won't be doing delve you're crippling your utility by skipping mantra and formless.
By Pantafernando 2014-02-04 08:01:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Its common sense, if soloing, use /dnc.

Also, you cant say you wont do delve never. Next update delve will be 6 man, new items added to plasm, delve will be done more frequently, im positive it will be like current ark angel.

Not that merit is anything hard to get, you could redo anything in 1-2h if you dont like, but formless is such great ja, choosing for something so meh like chakra and penace, both with not reliable recast time, idk, i wouldnt do that.
 Sylph.Peldin
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
By Sylph.Peldin 2014-02-04 08:15:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Formless Strikes is good for Fetters too. Mantra is way too good to not merit 5/5.

Invigorate is overwritten by Regen so it's pretty worthless if you're in a group, but it's pretty great for soloing.