Bibiki Urchin: How Do I Catch Them?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Fishing » Bibiki Urchin: how do I catch them?
Bibiki Urchin: how do I catch them?
 Ramuh.Alphir
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Alphir
By Ramuh.Alphir 2009-07-01 22:40:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi all. If anyone has any sure way to catch Bibiki Urchin please state in this forum. I have used every kind of lure recommended on all the main fishing sites (finalfishing.com, clanwind, greatblue, etc) and have had no luck. Please share any successful fishing method for these elusive fish. Thanks!
[+]
 Odin.Karusan
Server: Odin
user: Karusan
By Odin.Karusan 2009-07-01 23:36:17
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Ramuh.Brahmdut
user: brahmdut
By Ramuh.Brahmdut 2009-07-01 23:42:54
Link | Quote | Reply

HERE FISHEY FISHEY FISHEY
[+]
 Ramuh.Alphir
By Ramuh.Alphir 2009-07-02 12:15:48
Link | Quote | Reply

lmao, this is pretty good.. but I don't think that will get me urchins. Anyone know how to target these little punks?
 Gilgamesh.Tallulah
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Tallulah 2009-07-02 12:35:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Looks like an extremely rare catch judging from nothing more than the AH history here of the Urchin and of the sushi it makes. Last sale was 2006 on a stack on my server.
This is an interesting problem you have here, Alphir. Almost make me want to run around Bibiki bay trying to get one. ALMOST. :)
lol, Good luck with this one.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Server: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-07-02 12:39:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Bibiki Urchin

Skill Cap: 36
Location Bait Rods

* Bibiki Bay - Purgonorgo Isle
* Manaclipper (Sunset Docks->Purg.Isle)

* Crayfish Ball
* Rogue Rig
* Sinking Minnow
* Slice of Bluetail
* Shrimp Lure
* Worm Lure

* Halcyon Fishing Rod
* Composite Fishing Rod
* Ebisu Fishing Rod
* Lu Shang's Fishing Rod

Are you fishing on the island or the specific manaclipper route?
 Ramuh.Alphir
By Ramuh.Alphir 2009-07-02 13:05:11
Link | Quote | Reply

@ Tellulah, yeah I know it's rare. I actually just want to catch these so I can make sushi for my monk, urchin sushi is one of best for monk. I have been to Purg Island many times trying every kind of bait and never caught one.

@ Hypnotizd, I have used all of them baits on Purgo Island and no luck :/ I have been fishing mainly on the island itself. The mithra says "these are the best place to catch them pointy fish" ... I wonder if the manaclipper is the only way to grab them? Thanks for replying and info.
 Ramuh.Bekisa
By Ramuh.Bekisa 2009-07-02 14:03:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I've caught them in the past right off the dock in Purgonorgo Isle. Was Lushang for sure but not 100% sure on lure. I want to say Robber or Rogue rig though as I remember them being like an item more than a fish (same thing as Trumpet shells and Shall Shells).
 Odin.Arnor
user: arnor
By Odin.Arnor 2009-07-02 15:39:15
Link | Quote | Reply

i also know that you can catch a NM on the boat too.. friend was fishing it for shell to make the blm feet.. said it took them a whole ride to beat it and only reason they got shell was she had it set to quartermaster >.< lol
 Fairy.Tbest
Server: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-07-02 15:45:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd definitely use a Master Ball.
 Ramuh.Alphir
By Ramuh.Alphir 2009-07-02 15:50:27
Link | Quote | Reply

A what? I never heard of a master ball...

Bekisa, what is their stamina like? Usually, I cancel all the catches that act like an item so I don't break my line, I already lost a robber rig that way.
 Odin.Karusan
user: Karusan
By Odin.Karusan 2009-07-03 01:21:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Alphir clearly you need to try the lures while screaming out "HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERE, FISHY FISHY FISHYYY!!!!"
 Ramuh.Alphir
By Ramuh.Alphir 2009-07-03 17:49:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Karusan said:
Alphir clearly you need to try the lures while screaming out "HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERE, FISHY FISHY FISHYYY!!!!"

Ok, I did this and only caught Moorish Idol , bibiki urchin must be deaf >< I need confirmed catch of lure and location please.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [187 days between previous and next post]
 Midgardsormr.Illwill
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Illy
By Midgardsormr.Illwill 2010-01-06 19:17:58
Link | Quote | Reply

lmao that's weird i randomly found this. Was @the island this morning, and the only time i caught one was with halcyon rod+crayfish ball. but i will warn you out of about 3~ hours, 4 stacks of bait +4 other lures i only caught one. it almost feels like a cobalt jelly in that the rod will stay in middle & hover for long periods of time, and when does move it will quickly move back towards the center again, but has extremely low stamina like an item. GL! I'll tell you if find a better way to catch them-- {JE}
 Ramuh.Alphir
By Ramuh.Alphir 2010-01-06 19:26:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you so much! It's funny I was just looking for any updates to this yesterday. I appreciate your input, although it looks like it's a waste of time which is unfortunate since it's a really good food. Thanks again! :)
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [206 days between previous and next post]
 Ramuh.Socrates
user: Socrates
By Ramuh.Socrates 2010-07-31 13:31:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Still no clear info on how to catch these easily. Noticed I had a lot of kelp and been trying today to search and find anything to narrow it down but nothing. Been trying to catch them too, still testing.

Anyone with more info please update, thanks!
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-31 13:44:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you actually need to catch them or do you just need some?
 Ramuh.Socrates
user: Socrates
By Ramuh.Socrates 2010-07-31 13:50:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd like to be able to catch them. I know I can buy from vendor for 3375 or more but would not want to as that'd be worse than paying for wasabi, which it does not use. So if I could catch would be a nice cheap way to make some good sushi.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [4056 days between previous and next post]
 Cerberus.Kaht
Server: Cerberus
user: kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2021-09-07 18:00:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I know this is a massive necro bump, but between every official forum post, ffxiah post, reddit post, etc that I viewed, there was pretty much all speculation and no definitive answer on where to find this fish and what bait to use.

So, for posterity's sake, here's the exact position in purgonorgo isle I was fishing from, using slice of bluetail as my bait. Warning: it took the better part of 2 hours to finally catch one.
[+]
By Seun 2021-09-07 18:36:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I always thought Urchins acted like items rather than fish. You don't use bait to narrow your catch pool, they're just incredibly rare items that can be caught regardless of your choice of bait/lure.
[+]
By Chimerawizard 2021-09-07 19:56:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bibiki urchin is the worst thing to try and catch. the chance of finding one is like 0.1%

Pretty sure I ran with either robber or rogue rig when I caught mine.
[+]
 Shiva.Mutih
Server: Shiva
user: mutih
By Shiva.Mutih 2021-09-07 20:28:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Could certainly be that I just got lucky, but the item description states they "can be found attached to the rocks in Bibiki Bay". I caught one standing between the rocks to the west of the docks; after an absurd number of casts off the docks.
 Cerberus.Kaht
Server: Cerberus
user: kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2021-09-07 21:17:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Chimerawizard said: »
Pretty sure I ran with either robber or rogue rig when I caught mine.

I started off with a robber rig, but I kept getting shall shells and vongola clams. I didn't wanna end up using all 200 of my daily fish getting those, so I switched to the other suggested bait to more narrowly focus my target.
By Manque 2021-09-07 21:28:31
Link | Quote | Reply

If you fish with little worms you can limit the catches to either Bibikibo or the Urchin. Urchin are still very rare though, maybe 1 per-hour. It is likely more efficient to... go clamming!
By Chimerawizard 2021-09-08 02:45:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Manque said: »
If you fish with little worms you can limit the catches to either Bibikibo or the Urchin. Urchin are still very rare though, maybe 1 per-hour. It is likely more efficient to... go clamming!
If I ever actually needed them, I would just buy them from an NPC.
Clamming one won't add it to the list at Katsunaga.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [664 days between previous and next post]
 Bismarck.Zattano
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Zattano 2023-07-03 16:43:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kaht said: »
I know this is a massive necro bump, but between every official forum post, ffxiah post, reddit post, etc that I viewed, there was pretty much all speculation and no definitive answer on where to find this fish and what bait to use.

So, for posterity's sake, here's the exact position in purgonorgo isle I was fishing from, using slice of bluetail as my bait. Warning: it took the better part of 2 hours to finally catch one.

Finally caught mine, same exact location, but with Robber Rig. Only took idk, 6 hours? first 2-3 hours were using Bluetail Slice,but ran out and swapped to Robber before catching.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [67 days between previous and next post]
 Asura.Gweivyth
Server: Asura
user: gweiv
By Asura.Gweivyth 2023-09-08 07:26:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I caught one last night in like 15 minutes using Insect Paste. Didn't even realize it was supposed to be difficult? I had more trouble getting Bibikibo.
 Asura.Reidden
Server: Asura
user: Reiden
By Asura.Reidden 2023-09-08 10:09:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Man, I was going nuts trying to figure that fish out and didn't realize there was a thread for this lol. I need to go try this now.