Forum » FFXI » General » Windows 8 + FFXI = not best friends
Windows 8 + FFXI = not best friends
 Odin.Machorz
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: MacHorz
By Odin.Machorz 2012-11-10 03:26:20
Link | Quote | Reply

ok I found my steam account with FFXI-ediditon,installed and started without issue at least not yet, updating POL^^

so Thanks guys for help :)

last question: windower works with steam version?^^ and can I run 2x windower?
 Carbuncle.Shokox
Server: Carbuncle
user: Shokox
By Carbuncle.Shokox 2012-11-10 03:35:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Machorz said: »
ok I found my steam account with FFXI-ediditon,installed and started without issue at least not yet, updating POL^^

so Thanks guys for help :)

last question: windower works with steam version?^^ and can I run 2x windower?

Yes, you can still run as many instances of Windower as you want. Make sure to open each one by Right-clicking and selecting "Run as Administrator". We'll have to do this until the boys at Windower.net fix it.
 Sylph.Mirvana
Server: Sylph
user: Mirvana
By Sylph.Mirvana 2012-11-10 03:43:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Just finished updates and logging in, have the same "No character models displayed" problem :'(
By Pilsi 2012-11-10 05:40:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Friend De-installed game complete and got it back up with that exe on Playonline site, installed, updates etc log in and again that "no character/npc/enemy models displayed" ....
we really cant imagine why this happened/happens
 Valefor.Monkeynutz
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Monkeynutz 2012-11-10 06:17:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Just wanted to note that if you run on the hidden administrator account on Windows 7 you don't have to manually select 'run as administrator' (since you're always running everything that way) for Windower to work. There are some security drawbacks, of course.
 Sylph.Mirvana
By Sylph.Mirvana 2012-11-10 06:24:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Same, this seems to be the only lingering issue I'm having. Windower runs fine, POL > FFXI transition is stable, but nothing except environments and names currently. Have tried with/without windower loaded, and still get a world of invisible people. Even added AltanaViewer to see if the .dats themselves were just not loading right; All showing up fine.
By Pilsi 2012-11-10 06:34:46
Link | Quote | Reply

No Windower at all but , like u say, runs perfect but ghosts evrywhere :D
 Bahamut.Silvarion
Server: Bahamut
user: Pilsi
By Bahamut.Silvarion 2012-11-10 06:39:47
Link | Quote | Reply

at least one person with same issue Mirvana... friend said he'll contact SE on monday if no one knows the reason for this
 Sylph.Mirvana
By Sylph.Mirvana 2012-11-10 07:20:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Added a post to thread on official forums. The game's not COMPLETELY unplayable in this state, but it makes it a billion times more aggravating.
 Carbuncle.Shokox
By Carbuncle.Shokox 2012-11-10 11:03:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I think that might be a graphics card driver problem. What cards are you guys using?
 Odin.Machorz
Server: Odin
user: MacHorz
By Odin.Machorz 2012-11-10 11:22:27
Link | Quote | Reply

ok I can play and everything is fine (well sounds not work but maybe I pushed some button >_>)

happy at works and hope u guys can fix yours too^^
 Sylph.Mirvana
By Sylph.Mirvana 2012-11-10 14:57:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Im trying to use a laptop I just bought, onboard Intel4400 graphics processor. All of my model viewers are showing models just fine; it's only inside XI itself that any rendering issue emerge.
 Carbuncle.Shokox
By Carbuncle.Shokox 2012-11-10 15:19:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Machorz said: »
ok I can play and everything is fine (well sounds not work but maybe I pushed some button >_>)

happy at works and hope u guys can fix yours too^^

Go to the Final Fantasy XI config and check mark the "Enable Sound" box.

Sylph.Mirvana said: »
Im trying to use a laptop I just bought, onboard Intel4400 graphics processor. All of my model viewers are showing models just fine; it's only inside XI itself that any rendering issue emerge.

A quick Google check shows that Intel T4400 graphics chips have problems with both FFXI and FFXIV 1.0 (the latter which is literally unplayable). In the case of your processor I'd check in with the Intel website for any driver update that would be Win 8 compatible.
 Sylph.Mirvana
By Sylph.Mirvana 2012-11-10 15:28:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Awesome... And probably no way to make Intel fix an issue with a 10yo game -_-;;;
By Jetackuu 2012-11-10 16:43:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Bekisa said: »
I run Win 7 and 8, both x64. Works fine on both.

Can't blame Microsoft for other companies faults or inability to work with OS developers always. That's always the first thing people do every single time a new OS comes out. You wouldn't buy a car and expect it to work off the shelf with any engine on the market, past and present, without some sort of modifications. Why should a operating system be any different?

it's Microsoft's own fault for not making their OS backwards compatible, it's a sad joke.

and your comparison is bad.
By Jetackuu 2012-11-10 16:44:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Awesome... And probably no way to make Intel fix an issue with a 10yo game -_-;;;

Intel by their own doing should fix an issue with directx compatibility, even the old versions.
 Sylph.Mirvana
By Sylph.Mirvana 2012-11-10 17:23:03
Link | Quote | Reply

True enough, but it's one of those issue you wish they'd knocked out before launch. Not like you can expect a working product anymore in the days of Patch/Updates. :( I just wanna have my new laptop able to do more than let me craft.
By MatthiasKarana 2012-11-10 20:52:41
Link | Quote | Reply

hello, i am currently reinstalling FFXI and playonline, using the playonline from the website to see if it will fix the bugs i've found ingame on windows 8.

windower is just a launcher, so i don't need to re-install that right? i can keep all my same windower files and use it once i've reinstalled the game?
 Sylph.Mirvana
By Sylph.Mirvana 2012-11-10 22:26:29
Link | Quote | Reply

They should work, but you need to right-click run as administrator each time you use the launcher, setting it to automatically run-as-admin will make it crash. I'm pretty sure you still have to run the windower installer (not just copy-paste launcher.exe) but I might be wrong there.
By Jetackuu 2012-11-10 22:33:37
Link | Quote | Reply

True enough, but it's one of those issue you wish they'd knocked out before launch. Not like you can expect a working product anymore in the days of Patch/Updates. :( I just wanna have my new laptop able to do more than let me craft.

put a better OS on it, like 7 or XP
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2012-11-10 22:58:53
Link | Quote | Reply

This is a gross trivialization that reveals a deep misunderstanding of computers. :|
[+]
 Valefor.Omnys
Server: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2012-11-10 23:39:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Drjones said: »
I wouldn't expect it to work on Windows 8. Like...ever.

This.

It doesn't work extremely well in Vista or Windows 7 and SE has never cared.
 Sylph.Mirvana
By Sylph.Mirvana 2012-11-11 00:36:39
Link | Quote | Reply

If SE never cared there wouldn't have been a vista/7 version of POL released.

EDIT: Ermahgerd!! It's working now!! Made a single tweak on graphics driver I hadn't noticed before.
 Siren.Matthias
Server: Siren
By Siren.Matthias 2012-11-11 01:22:14
Link | Quote | Reply

what tweak was that?
 Sylph.Mirvana
By Sylph.Mirvana 2012-11-11 02:19:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I apparently had a 2nd driver installed on my computer that I didn't see yesterday for the graphics processor on my laptop, and just switched which one the system was using.

Laptop uses built-in Intel4400 for graphics: Device Manager > GPU > Properties > Driver Details is how I believe I got to it (cant open start on 8 w/ XI open) and I switched to one that had a longer name that was lister (again cant see atm)
 Siren.Matthias
By Siren.Matthias 2012-11-11 02:33:26
Link | Quote | Reply

i was able to get ffxi up and running fine now, but i've noticed a severe drop in frame rate at times during cutscenes.

it might not be just windows 8 though, i also upgraded my graphics card to a geforce GTX 670 from a GTX 560 TI. frame rate was much better on the 560. i hear the 600 series don't play very well with FFXI either so it might be just that.
 Sylph.Mirvana
By Sylph.Mirvana 2012-11-11 02:49:45
Link | Quote | Reply

No framerate issues so far, but mostly been running around in port doing AH stuff and chatting with friends. Might run murder something to see if combat slows anything.
 Siren.Matthias
By Siren.Matthias 2012-11-11 03:41:06
Link | Quote | Reply

going to try reinstalling windows 7, find out whether this problem is windows 8 or the graphics card. bah either way a waste of money.
 Sylph.Shipp
user: Shipp
By Sylph.Shipp 2012-11-11 13:45:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Omnys said: »
Drjones said: »
I wouldn't expect it to work on Windows 8. Like...ever.

This.

It doesn't work extremely well in Vista or Windows 7 and SE has never cared.
What? Maybe I'm missing something here, but FFXI works fine on my Windows 7. Just as well as it did on Windows XP and PS2, at least.
 Lakshmi.Spidermike
Server: Lakshmi
user: Quellor
By Lakshmi.Spidermike 2012-11-11 21:36:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Just upgraded to windows 8 and had the same problem with character models/npcs not showing so I went to control panel > device manager > display adapters and chose the only one listed. It said the device is working properly, click the driver tab and select update driver > browse my computer for driver software > let me pick from a list of device drivers.

It listed 3 different drivers, The first one was Microsoft Basic Display Adapter I didn't choose that one, the other ones listed were 'Intel(R) HD Graphics' and 'Intel(R) HD Graphics Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.2).

I chose the one with the longest name and it worked.

Edit: I have to do this often, every now and then it reverts to the old driver and I have to update the driver.