Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXIV » General » Materia
Materia
By Fouluryu 2011-08-26 06:10:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Living in a Materia World
Melded to gear, materia is said to imbue the bearer with enhanced powers, ranging from herculean strength to imperviousness to torrid flames. It takes not a scholar to see that the advent of materia will change our way of life—even how we wage war.

Yet whence came these stones of such power and versatility? The answer will at once shock and amaze: materia is born of trusty old equipment that has seen better days.

Without further ado, let us examine the origins and uses of materia, that the shroud of mystery surrounding it might be lifted.

http://static.finalfantasyxiv.com/topics/images/a7/7a/1122_0.jpg?4529677b427275d1d9dbbf393e0756fd

The Origin of Materia
That the revolutionary technique for the creation and application of materia was brought to Eorzea by the goblin geomancer Mutamix Bubblypots is a well known fact. The truth behind the origin of the stones, however, remains the subject of heated debate. Some believe that materia is advanced military technology painstakingly appropriated from Garlemald, while others speculate that it was born of Near Eastern wisdom that had long slumbered within the ancient tomes of the Great Library.

Though the origin theories are many, all are agreed that, at some point in time, a fraternity of goblin scholars calling themselves the Illuminati acquired the secrets of materia. Governed by a code of secrecy, the coterie jealously guarded the knowledge. However, they were ultimately betrayed by one among their own—aye, Mutamix. Resolving that materia should be allowed to benefit all folk rather than remain the curio of a select few, Mutamix proceeded to propagate the secrets of the craft to adventurers. And so it was that the age of materia dawned over Eorzea.

The Makings of Materia
The production of materia requires an apparatus known as a materia assimilator, which adventurers can use to transform to materia equipment with which they have achieved full spiritbond—the measure of an object’s aetheric alignment with a person. The assimilator works by reducing gear to its aetheric state, which it then crystallizes into a substance not unlike a gemstone in appearance. Thus is materia created.

As might be expected, different items produce materia of varying properties. For instance, the gladius, a tool of war, houses the dual aetheric energies of a slashing weapon and its wielder's desire for victory; from it materia that grants enhanced vision can be created.

http://static.finalfantasyxiv.com/topics/images/a7/7a/1122_1.jpg?38eefece9702630a41811685757a17f6

* The same gear does not necessary convert into the same materia. Although certain trends may be observed in the transformation, adventurers can expect materia of varying types and potency to be created from the same item.

Materia comes in four degrees of potency, indicated via numerals (I-IV).

http://static.finalfantasyxiv.com/topics/images/a7/7a/1122_2.jpg?399494f7d3d57bb39a81d38d41603d07

*Sample Materia
Intelligence: Increases intelligence
Ironman’s Will: Increases strength and vitality
Fire: Increases the power of fire-based attacks
Sagacious Aim: Increases magic critical hit rate

Enhancing Gear with Materia
Materia can be attached to equipment, thus strengthening it, by using an apparatus called a materia melder. For instance, attaching a heavens’ eye materia to an iron spatha will imbue the latter with a bonus accuracy attribute. The melding process requires the use of a compatible catalyst item.

http://static.finalfantasyxiv.com/topics/images/a7/7a/1122_3.jpg?bfa1ebdc7927d60b604f5c0576a7d9b8

* In order to attach materia to a certain piece of equipment, Disciples of the Hand must fulfill the class and level requirements for crafting it.
* Catalyst items are obtainable through gathering only.
* It is possible to have equipment purged of materia by paying a fee in gil to certain NPCs. Be warned, however, that any purged materia will permanently be lost.

The Dark Side...
Much remains unknown about materia and its full potential. There are dark whispers, however, that tell of a forbidden branch of the craft that leads to power beyond imagining…but only at great cost.

source

Discuss
By Sorrowscry 2011-08-26 08:52:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Just read all this on lodestone :p but thanks for posting it all up
By dt415 2011-08-26 13:17:10
Link | Quote | Reply

cant wait to rape peoples wallets with this
By Taigatan 2011-08-26 14:52:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds interesting, something like evoliths and augments but a million times better, but guess we'll have to wait and see until after the update.
 Bahamut.Ashua
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ashua
By Bahamut.Ashua 2011-08-26 16:03:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Final Fanservice XIV.

The "materia" has nothing to do with FFVII other than to snare fanboys. I don't like the idea of any system even remotely resembling "materia" in a game that is job class based. Uce Supreme pretty much covered my initial reaction except mine was from a third person perspective.
By lujannagi 2011-08-26 17:53:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Uce Supreme said: »
cant wait to rape peoples wallets with this

Lmao amen hear that one hahahah

I wanna know what the forbidden side is that's what's on my mind.
By SniperRifle 2011-08-26 19:10:43
Link | Quote | Reply

worst thing to ever happen to ff ever. materia is terrible... the final nail in the coffin for FF14.

oh wait its not out yet? i'll repost this on lodestone 4 hours after 1.19 is released.
By Sorrowscry 2011-08-26 19:12:00
Link | Quote | Reply

SniperRifle said: »
worst thing to ever happen to ff ever. materia is terrible... the final nail in the coffin for FF14.

oh wait its not out yet? i'll repost this on lodestone 4 hours after 1.19 is released.

FF14 needs a drastic change. Let's see how it plays out b4 we bash it
[+]
By SniperRifle 2011-08-26 19:21:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorrowscry said: »
SniperRifle said: »
worst thing to ever happen to ff ever. materia is terrible... the final nail in the coffin for FF14. oh wait its not out yet? i'll repost this on lodestone 4 hours after 1.19 is released.
FF14 needs a drastic change. Let's see how it plays out b4 we bash it

Lol I was just kidding. I'm looking forward to the new system.
By Sorrowscry 2011-08-26 20:22:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Lol I was just kidding. I'm looking forward to the new system.

cool cool :p
By Jadi 2011-08-27 07:29:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I hear the ppl saying they are just playing to 7 fans but actually this is a really good idea. It looks like Materia is going to destroy gear (helping the over saturated gil economy) and may prevent a need to get the "best item" for x job kind of situation.

I'm optimistic that this will be good.. :)
By Taigatan 2011-08-27 14:42:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I think they should have picked a different interim name... that name isn't finalized yet right? It brings about too many thoughts of what we already know materia to be, which in 7 it gave us all our skills, spells, etc and if you didn't have them equipped you didn't have that ability.

This however really appears to be a gear augmentation system to improve upon gear stats and the examples they gave go right along with that. Materia in 7 was also very easily swappable, and you could put on x amount without breaking the gear. This system doesn't even remotely resemble 7's materia system, and saying the name is meant to draw in 7 fanboys is like saying the post that Yoshi made where he called the choco system "My Little Chocobo" is meant to draw in bronies.

I have to agree with Jadi Kama... kinda weird to say it but yeah the system seems to be deigned to break gear. Have players build an affinity with it, turn it into materia, then put it on a new piece and hope they don't trash it trying to put on 5 materia at once.

I'm also very excited for it since I've mainly been working on DoH classes... also curious as to what kind of materia will be aimed at those jobs... I'm really enjoying crafting in this game much more than 11. It would be great to see the people who put in the time, get the right gear, and really understand crafting have an advantage over those who just sink money into it like happened in 11.

So we're about a month out on all this I guess... those guys must be working their butts off to get all these things implemented on time.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2011-08-27 15:29:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Read that your gear might be broken if you fail at attaching materia after the first one :/ Is this true? Why not just reduce durability to 0% or give your gear a certain status that only a special NPC can remove for a hefty sum instead of breaking our (some of them, obviously not the vast majority) hard-earned items @_@
By dt415 2011-08-27 16:07:41
Link | Quote | Reply

im trying to get all my crafts to around r40 now before the materia comes in place.
By SniperRifle 2011-08-27 18:24:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
Read that your gear might be broken if you fail at attaching materia after the first one :/ Is this true? Why not just reduce durability to 0% or give your gear a certain status that only a special NPC can remove for a hefty sum instead of breaking our (some of them, obviously not the vast majority) hard-earned items @_@

I didn't read what you read so idk if this is true, but doesn't a "broken" item, imply it has 0 durability?

My gear is broken can someone repair it?

Typical phrase used.
By dt415 2011-08-28 13:48:53
Link | Quote | Reply

i just cant wait to see what we can do with the materia. i wonder how many crab bow +3 are going to be broken down to go into a crab bow +3? i dont know if it will be like that but just wondering. hope some of this gear i kept from the NM will be able to take materia to make stronger or its going in the ether!