Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Samurai » 5-Hit Masamune
5-Hit Masamune
First Page 2 ... 9 10 11
By Keyera 2011-06-01 00:23:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Howdy peepz. Being the lovely and knowledgeable bunch my fellow Samurai are, I have a quick question regarding, as the title suggests, a 5-hit Masamune build. Here's the scoop: I'm not very well funded (I barely scrape by in the gil depot) and I have a great group of friends who I can farm gear and complete missions with.

I'm looking to optimize a 5-hit build with a WS macro-in set (no set post because that's not what the thread is about :P) that we will assume gives 16tp and a Masamune v85.

This is what I have right now. I really want to work in Ace's gloves, but I really dislike the -4/-4 str/dex of the Hoard ring. I also am working towards a Tathlum, and an earring which i would also enjoy input on (looking at WotG augmented earring).

Thanks a million.
[+]
 Ifrit.Eikechi
Server: Ifrit
Game: FFXI
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2011-06-01 00:34:37
Link | Quote | Reply

This may sound like a dumb suggestion.... but if you use Ace's mufflers, you can just use a strong STP atma and easily cover the -12 if you have a spare atma slot that you're not sure what to use it for, or if you have a "set 2" and have the third slot free to use situationally...might not be a TERRIBLE idea.... *shrug* I'm not seeing much wrong with your build, as in where you can even fit in more STP to make that happen, other than (like you said) the tathlum...
By Narb 2011-06-01 00:39:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Rose Strap.
[+]
By Keyera 2011-06-01 00:43:09
Link | Quote | Reply

i've been using RR, VV, Apoc generally in aby. with little tweaks here and there for NMs, brewing, etc. thinking of swapping the hoard ring in ONLY for aby because of the cruor buffs, and usage of RR, VV. then again...i'll have regain from VV/earring. Tathlum is a definite must, looks like
 Bahamut.Aeronis
Server: Bahamut
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2011-06-01 00:45:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Keyera said:
I really want to work in Ace's gloves, but I really dislike the -4/-4 str/dex of the Hoard ring.

Dusk Gloves +1 are a T1 now, get a 110 Leather Crafter to make you some~
By Heck 2011-06-01 00:46:02
Link | Quote | Reply

This is the current Melee set I use and I'm sure many other use something similar

I tried making something for you since you said your budget is low but you cant sacrifice Hoard Ring, just live with it. In Abyssea the -stats aren't noticeable and even outside I still do 1k+ Fudos.

Both sets give you enough Store TP, with merits you can get 21 TP a swing with it. Getting a 16-17 TP return with your WS gear should suffice.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Ennayram
Server: Carbuncle
user: Ennayram
By Carbuncle.Ennayram 2011-06-01 00:48:08
Link | Quote | Reply

My gear:

http://www.ffxiah.com/item-sets/30727

-4 STR/DEX doesn't mean anything anymore even outside Abyssea
[+]
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2011-06-01 00:49:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow, you guys got some good info on here already... I forgot about some of these STP gears you guys have in your sets lol.. Been awhile since I played, and I'm trying to make my comeback soon, so I'm perusing, these forums for info, to "get back in the groove" so to speak lol... Looks like Masa is definitely 5 hit-able, with those 3 atmas she has been using (which are the 3 best melee atma imho, you do have those bases covered)
 Bahamut.Aeronis
Server: Bahamut
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2011-06-01 00:49:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Ennayram said:
My gear:

It kinda does since it affects your fSTR and dDEX. :|
[+]
 Carbuncle.Ennayram
user: Ennayram
By Carbuncle.Ennayram 2011-06-01 00:50:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Miniscule amount is miniscule
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2011-06-01 00:52:44
Link | Quote | Reply

in Aby the -4 str and -4 dex shouldn't REALLY matter, during the TP phase, because of all the cruor buffs and atma buffs (STR+50 and DEX+50 from the two she mentioned earlier, ftw....) yes it TECHNICALLY effects your fstr and Ddex, but you're swapping that ring out to WS anyways....so it shouldn't matter too much at all
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Server: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2011-06-01 01:20:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Aeronis said:
Carbuncle.Ennayram said:
My gear:

It kinda does since it affects your fSTR and dDEX. :|

this just in... 5hit > 1fstr for tping outside abyssea.

you heard it here first.

[+]
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
Server: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-06-01 01:24:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Keyera said:

rose strap, white tathlum, ganesha's mala, moonshade earring (4atk/1regain over kemas), dusk gloves (even nq are better than ace's mufflers), oneiros ring (over spiral ring), tactical mantle, bullwhip belt

tp in that, and ws in at least rose strap, brutal earring, rajas ring and unkai haidate +2 to hold the five-hit outside abyssea

for inside,

that

vv/rr/apoc is correct, though regardless, you should be playing war/sam six-hit ss/rr/apoc inside abyssea anyways :D

sad thing is that this screenshot's not even the best of true war/sam either, and this as is already crushes every other dd inside abyssea pretty much
[+]
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Server: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2011-06-01 01:42:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Ironguy said:
Keyera said:

rose strap, white tathlum, ganesha's mala, moonshade earring (4atk/1regain over kemas), dusk gloves (even nq are better than ace's mufflers), oneiros ring (over spiral ring), tactical mantle, bullwhip belt

tp in that, and ws in at least rose strap, brutal earring, rajas ring and unkai haidate +2 to hold the five-hit outside abyssea

for inside,

that

vv/rr/apoc is correct, though regardless, you should be playing war/sam six-hit ss/rr/apoc inside abyssea anyways :Dsad thing is that this screenshot's not even the best of true war/sam either, and this as is already crushes every other dd inside abyssea pretty much

iirc, can't war get a 5hit inside abyssea?
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-06-01 01:45:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Keyera said:

for inside,

that

vv/rr/apoc is correct, though regardless, you should be playing war/sam six-hit ss/rr/apoc inside abyssea anyways :D

sad thing is that this screenshot's not even the best of true war/sam either, and this as is already crushes every other dd inside abyssea pretty much

My blu can crush your war np.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-06-01 01:45:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Heck said:
This is the current Melee set I use and I'm sure many other use something similar

I tried making something for you since you said your budget is low but you cant sacrifice Hoard Ring, just live with it. In Abyssea the -stats aren't noticeable and even outside I still do 1k+ Fudos.

Both sets give you enough Store TP, with merits you can get 21 TP a swing with it. Getting a 16-17 TP return with your WS gear should suffice.

Don't tp in kemas earring :x
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-06-01 01:47:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:
My hochomasamune nin can crush my blu np.

that's all i read right there chief

Fairy.Ghaleon said:
iirc, can't war get a 5hit inside abyssea?

it can easily, yes, but isn't worth shooting for when without vv (and ss smashes vv), which then requires almah torque, regain moonshade earring and tactical mantle during tp, and sacrificing ravager's gorget/earring as well as atheling mantle for a five-hit only half the time pretty much isn't worth going for, since the regain on the earring can't keep up with da/ta processing

even if it could keep up, -hit builds lose their shine primarily inside abyssea where apocalypse atma offers and oftenly results in tp overflow
[+]
 Fenrir.Crystenne
Server: Fenrir
user: Crysten
By Fenrir.Crystenne 2011-06-01 01:48:15
Link | Quote | Reply

This is my set inside Abyssea, with VV taking care of the regain I need for a true 5 hit. Outside, switch the Bullwhip with Goading Belt.

Everyone's mentioned it already, but Hoard Ring's usefulness far outweighs the slight hit you'll take from the STR and DEX.

A little tip for the OP on cash also - keep a clean inventory and just sell all the crap you get autodrop from Abyssea. It's not uncommon to make 50-100k at least per run just from pop items or crappy scrolls.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-06-01 01:55:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Crystenne said:
A little tip for the OP on cash also - keep a clean inventory and just sell all the crap you get autodrop from Abyssea. It's not uncommon to make 50-100k at least per run just from pop items or crappy scrolls.

^
 Cerberus.Naygor
Server: Cerberus
user: Dem3trios
By Cerberus.Naygor 2011-06-01 01:59:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:
My blu can crush your war np.

[+]
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2011-06-01 02:03:30
Link | Quote | Reply

LOL Naygor....
 Carbuncle.Kerokun
user: Kerokun
By Carbuncle.Kerokun 2011-06-01 02:24:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Keyera said:

This is what I have right now. I really want to work in Ace's gloves, but I really dislike the -4/-4 str/dex of the Hoard ring.
Rose Strap, Dusk Gloves (+1), Unkai Mimikazari, and Hoard Ring. That'll give you a 5-hit (4-hit after WS) with 21(22)% haste. It's what I use. I wouldn't bother with Ace's Mufflers. Otherwise, you gotta tango with the Tactical Mantle and then you're just trading 35 attack and 3 DA for 1 Haste. Boo~ FEAR NOT THE STR/DEX PENALTY FROM HOARD RING. :o

I'm also not a big fan of the builds that rely on VV's regain to give a certain amount of TP. >_> Whoop, consistency~
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-06-01 02:35:48
Link | Quote | Reply

processing

lol
[+]
 Cerberus.Naygor
Server: Cerberus
user: Dem3trios
By Cerberus.Naygor 2011-06-01 02:38:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:

[+]
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-06-01 02:39:45
Link | Quote | Reply

proc is an actual word according to draylo
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-06-01 02:42:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Except you don't even know what it means, lololol
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-06-01 02:43:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Trying to sound all sophisticated and ***but you come across HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-06-01 02:51:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Proc: "Something which is bound to occur if the proper conditions are met enough times."
 Fenrir.Gradd
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-06-01 02:53:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I was under the assumption that 5-hitting isnt even worth it, especially inside abyssea because generally you have such a High TP overflow that TP'ing in ***gear isnt doing much for you if your double or triple attacking before your last swing anyways. Or that seems to be whats going around on BG.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-06-01 02:55:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
I was under the assumption that 5-hitting isnt even worth it, especially inside abyssea because generally you have such a High TP overflow that TP'ing in ***gear isnt doing much for you if your double or triple attacking before your last swing anyways. Or that seems to be whats going around on BG.
I think that's more for WAR than it is for SAM. But double and triple attacking before your last swing isn't the problem, it's DA or TA ON your last swing that causes overflow.
First Page 2 ... 9 10 11