Fay Crozier Still Worth It?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Summoner » Fay Crozier still worth it?
Fay Crozier still worth it?
 Valefor.Solthar
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Solthar
By Valefor.Solthar 2011-05-11 00:07:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been checking around in the forums and asking people in game. The consensus seems to be that a fay crozier with -3 per cost is a good gap piece until magian staves, but noone ever uses the crozier from what I've seen. Am I missing something here? Is the -3 perp cost really rare or something?
 Cerberus.Eugene
Server: Cerberus
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-05-11 00:09:51
Link | Quote | Reply

HQ crafted staves give -3
 Odin.Sheelay
Server: Odin
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-05-11 00:22:19
Link | Quote | Reply

What you are missing probably are the very same Magian staves which grant -6 perp cost.

The crozier's stats can be pretty good for idling or even having the avatar use melee attacks, ranged attacks or blood abilities, but for perp cost or pet Macc/MAB you're better off getting magian staves.

The worse part with crozier is probably the time it takes getting the right augments. The reason you don't see that many around may depend on that and the fact that HQ staves already grant -3 perp and cost very little nowadays (+ most people now have multiple mage jobs, which add to the need of a good for all item).

If you want to add another easy improvement to your smn arsenal, I'd suggest getting soulscourge instead.
 Quetzalcoatl.Vileplume
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Jarbino
By Quetzalcoatl.Vileplume 2011-05-11 00:24:02
Link | Quote | Reply

-3 Perp Fay Crozier is kind of hard to get (assuming you want other nice bonuses on the staff too, like -BP, Pet: Attack/MAB). I still use my Fay Crozier because:
1. I don't use only 1 avatar. I change avatars depending on what I'm fighting.
2. I'm still working on my Magian Staves for BLM & SCH, which is already going to be -4 or -5 inventory space. 7 more staves for each avatar is a lot of work and a lot of inventory space taken which I'm already lacking.

At the point we're in right now, (talking about Abyssea), -perp is NOT an issue. the -6 perp from the staves for ONE element is definitely a turn off for me.
The -10 Blood pact Delay is also meh, due to the fact that you can cap the -15 seconds delay without the staff. hi2umacros.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-05-11 00:41:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Eugene said:

And take up inventory?
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-05-11 00:47:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:
Cerberus.Eugene said:

And take up inventory?
cuz inventory isnt still a problem if you remove staves. he said he saw no1 with fey, I wasn't suggesting he should use staves, I was saying that's probably why he doesnt see many.

Valefor.Solthar said:
Am I missing something here? Is the -3 perp cost really rare or something?

Response: obvious "No" "HQ crafted staves give -3" "as well"
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2011-05-11 00:47:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Damn fairy still has my staff...

/grumblegrumble
 Leviathan.Draylo
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-05-11 00:56:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Eugene said:
Leviathan.Draylo said:
Cerberus.Eugene said:

And take up inventory?
cuz inventory isnt still a problem if you remove staves. he said he saw no1 with fey, I wasn't suggesting he should use staves, I was saying that's probably why he doesnt see many.

Valefor.Solthar said:

Shut up
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-05-11 00:56:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:
Cerberus.Eugene said:
Leviathan.Draylo said:
Cerberus.Eugene said:

And take up inventory?

Valefor.Solthar said:

Shut up

Haha, troll on Draylo, troll on

EDIT: Bahamut's staff gives -3 as well.
 Siren.Kunimatsu
Server: Siren
user: Kunimatsu
By Siren.Kunimatsu 2011-05-11 07:11:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess I was lucky with my fay, got -3 perp add effect: stun+5 on my first try, I just rolled with that just incase I never got another -3. (The stun is funny when it procs when I whack things :3.)

If you aren't planning on getting ALL the -perp magian staves and you don't have B.staff, it really is an inventory saver, and I still use mine for the avatars I never really use to fight with anymore, like Ifrit.

If you manage to get -BP delay on it, you can use that to help you reach the -15 delay cap if you haven't done so yet.

You should still be keeping light/apollo's dark/pluto's and earth/terra's around with you for the benefits they give, but it saves you carrying ice/water/fire/thunder/wind staffs, however those slots will be taken up by things like Shareeravadi +2 (pet: mab staff), soulscourge for siphon and physical pacts, owleyes for idle and whatever other magian staffs you go for.
 Caitsith.Heimdall
Server: Caitsith
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2011-05-11 07:13:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kunimatsu said:
I guess I was lucky with my fay, got -3 perp add effect: stun+5 on my first try, I just rolled with that just incase I never got another -3. (The stun is funny when it procs when I whack things :3.)

If you aren't planning on getting ALL the -perp magian staves and you don't have B.staff, it really is an inventory saver, and I still use mine for the avatars I never really use to fight with anymore, like Ifrit.

If you manage to get -BP delay on it, you can use that to help you reach the -15 delay cap if you haven't done so yet.

You should still be keeping light/apollo's dark/pluto's and earth/terra's around with you for the benefits they give, but it saves you carrying ice/water/fire/thunder/wind staffs, however those slots will be taken up by things like Shareeravadi +2 (pet: mab staff), soulscourge for siphon and physical pacts, owleyes for idle and whatever other magian staffs you go for.

the mobs are just stunned cus they being hit by a smn with his staff! :p
 Leviathan.Melisenna
By Leviathan.Melisenna 2011-05-15 01:28:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I still use my Fay. Its great for outside of abyssea. Inside abyssea Ive been using soulscourge.
But I did get extremely lucky and my first try at grauberg (s) gave me -3 perp, pet attack +8, ranged attack +8 and mab +3. So its a pretty good all around staff, and yay for not having to carry a staff for every avatar when my smn gear already takes up way too many slots.
I dont feel like doing the avatar staves since im now working on the blm ones and space is an issue for me.
I'd say if you use smn outside of aby, go for the fay (if you cant get bahamut staff). Especially since the new crafted staff HQ'd will probably be stupidly priced, and fay can give some fun stats.
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-05-15 01:32:54
Link | Quote | Reply

needs more pdt staff
 Leviathan.Melisenna
By Leviathan.Melisenna 2011-05-15 01:48:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Solthar said:
I guess back to your original question. -3 on a fay isnt THAT rare. Ive seen alot of people get it. I did have one friend who went through 6+ staves trying to get it, and never did... But that was just her. Generally a few tries and you will get one. the possibilities are 0 to -3, with -2 being the most common.
 Lakshmi.Hiku
Server: Lakshmi
user: squirrel
By Lakshmi.Hiku 2011-05-15 02:16:19
Link | Quote | Reply

this is what i use on smn, my staff is augmented: Cost-3 Pet: Attack+4 Rng.Atk+4 "Mag.Atk.Bns"+3

without any refresh atmas, i get 2mp/tic refresh back with all my avatars. i have the maxed out ToM summoning staves for Light and Wind, working on dark and water, but in the meantime fay crozier is a great alternative to say, bahamut staff. ToM are still better, but this is a ton easier to get