How Often Is Odin And Alexander Used?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Summoner » how often is odin and alexander used?
how often is odin and alexander used?
 Ramuh.Spook
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Spook153
By Ramuh.Spook 2011-04-29 11:36:43
Link | Quote | Reply

The reason for the question is that there must be a reason behind my lack of interest to quest them.

I will get them eventually for completeness sake but other than that to be honest they don't appear to be that useful.

Am I missing something?

Note: I just dinged 90 on SMN about 4 weeks ago.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-04-29 11:39:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander is used mostly for Pandamonium Warden and Absolute Virtue kills.

Odin is used for Lulz.
 Ramuh.Leif
user: Leif912
By Ramuh.Leif 2011-04-29 11:45:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander can still be useful for battlefields where zerg-type strategies are used or where you're otherwise going to be taking lots of damage, such as A Crystalline Prophecy, it's easy to wipe there if you all you pack is great offense but you lack a good defense, even today at level 90.

Odin's usefulness is debatable, but people tend to not use him, especially against NMs where all the MP you just spent could've been used for things far more useful. I don't have Odin myself yet, so I can't really speak about it, but most people treat it like a joke.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Shadowwind
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Shadowwind 2011-04-29 11:49:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander is worth getting for different situations, but Odin is a novelty. The only times I really use him are for fun if I'm going to be logging out shortly or if farming chests in abyssea and a 2hr box happens to be around. One could argue that his dmg gets up there really high against NM's, but seeing high numbers with Odin is few and far between.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2011-04-29 11:52:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin is used every time a 2hr reset chest pops in aby pts w/smns. Results tend to vary... Please consult your doctor before using odin as it may cause an unsafe level of depression. Side effects may include disappointment, cursing, sweating and driving while asleep...

Not that I would know I'm still too lame to have finished ToAU. It's on my todo list I swear.
 Siren.Kuz
Server: Siren
user: RobKuz
By Siren.Kuz 2011-04-29 11:56:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Our LS uses two Summoners with Odin.... on Odin in Einherjar.
At the start, send in 2 SMNs to open up, and it takes about 15% off of Odin at the beginning. Nice chunk of damage.

Alexander's we use for Zerg type situations like Dyna-Lord, etc on DD parties.

They may not be as useful for EVERY situation, but they DO have their place.
 Siren.Eremes
Server: Siren
user: Eremes
By Siren.Eremes 2011-04-29 12:12:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander is actually an ***-saving two hour, and as mentioned above, great for zerg situations.

Odin, I personally think, is kind of pointless. A lion's share of NMs resist Odin outright, even more so if the NM is darkness-based. If a NM doesn't resist Odin, the damage will vary widely and will rarely exceed the damage blood pacts you could have used with the MP you used on Odin. Finally, if you need to wipe out anything less than NM-variety mobs, there's any number of other, better tactics, like Fell Cleave, Charged Whisker, or good old Sleepga.

Though, I do wonder how a SMN using MAB/DarknessMATK atmas would do with Zantetsuken.

Anyway, I would personally prefer 90 seconds of near-invincibility and resistance to status ailments to playing roulette with Odin's Zantetsuken. If you have a decent number of well-geared/buffed DDs or nukers at your disposal, the benefit Alexander gives would absolutely trump the damage Odin would deal.
 Ramuh.Spook
user: Spook153
By Ramuh.Spook 2011-04-29 12:14:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said:
Odin is used every time a 2hr reset chest pops in aby pts w/smns. Results tend to vary... Please consult your doctor before using odin as it may cause an unsafe level of depression. Side effects may include disappointment, cursing, sweating and driving while asleep... Not that I would know I'm still too lame to have finished ToAU. It's on my todo list I swear.

lol.

Its on my to-do list too.

I am in a pet LS and normally we have an alliance of BST and SMN's "Fun" ( Not including procs, and stuff that need normie jobs) so Odin and Alexander will be on the back-burner for now.

Hopefully SE will add new avatars we can actually use @ 99 0.o
 Cerberus.Forseti
Server: Cerberus
user: Twan
By Cerberus.Forseti 2011-05-01 21:47:17
Link | Quote | Reply

FYI a smn and bst can duo odin prime fight. dunno about alexander fight yet havent done it...but ya just tossing that out as a FYI
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-05-01 21:51:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin is cool, people always are amazed when he comes out :)
 Fenrir.Enternius
Server: Fenrir
user: Enternius
By Fenrir.Enternius 2011-05-01 21:53:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:
I'd be amazed too. You'd never expect Odin to be gay.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-05-01 21:54:11
Link | Quote | Reply

His animation at least... SE is so damn scared when it comes to powering up SMN. I have no idea why... the job is so underwhelming atm, almost as bad as PUP tbh. Why Odin and Alex are 2hr only is weird.. Odin I can see really, but not Alex. Why is Odins range so damn small ? Why is his move like Diabolos... why not power up diabolos so his 2hr is actually useful and does what Odins does? Should have made Odin's just deal a lot of drk dmg and Diabolos have the demi one (it is like that now.. but Diabolos suck and I'm positive theres a 1~2k cap on that dmg or so.)
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-05-01 21:54:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Enternius said:
Leviathan.Draylo said:
I'd be amazed too. You'd never expect Odin to be gay.

lol
[+]
 Shiva.Tahngarthor
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Tahngarthor 2011-05-01 21:58:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I use Odin all the time when grinding time or EXP in abyssea- The frequent 2 hour chests mean you can use him like every 5 minutes or less sometimes.

I only use Alex for certain bosses.
 Leviathan.Melisenna
By Leviathan.Melisenna 2011-05-01 23:03:28
Link | Quote | Reply

to be honest I use them both regularly, though probably odin more.
Alex is great like was said earlier for zergs. Ive used him for ultima, AV, the ACP boss, the ASA final fight and various other fights where i think hey, my DD/tank could use some invincibility right now.
As far as Odin goes, he is just fun to spam. I always found awesome dmg on Cerb, Kirin, and various other mobs.
Also with the 2 hour reset chests in abyssea there really isnt much of an excuse not to use him there. You can add some pearl to your party if needed. also he can do pretty impressive dmg on nm's sometimes. MP isnt much of an issue with the refresh you can now get from gear and atmas these days, as well as siphoning for 400+ depending on gear etc. Unless you are literally always soloing and duoing, I see no excuse to not do ToAU. Especially with how easier the missions are now at 90 compared to when I did them at 75. Also the BCNMs to actually get the avatars were easy all along, and no doubt much easier now.

If youre going to play a job would you not want all your spells? Thats like a BLU saying how bout i dont get these potentially awesome spells cause they might be a pain in the *** to farm...
 Bismarck.Altar
Server: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2011-05-02 08:34:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Melisenna said:
Also with the 2 hour reset chests in abyssea there really isnt much of an excuse not to use him there. You can add some pearl to your party if needed.

Although I agree that Odin can be useful, and any smn should look to get access to both of them, I find with the appropriate Smn atma, Shiva's two hour can do a lot better than Odin's.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-05-02 08:37:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Altar said:
Also with the 2 hour reset chests in abyssea there really isnt much of an excuse not to use him there. You can add some pearl to your party if needed.

Although I agree that Odin can be useful, and any smn should look to get access to both of them, I find with the appropriate Smn atma, Shiva's two hour can do a lot better than Odin's.

how much does it do?
Never seen a smn use another 2hr than odin in aby >_>
 Asura.Ina
Server: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2011-05-02 08:54:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Bismarck.Altar said:
how much does it do? Never seen a smn use another 2hr than odin in aby >_>

Pritty sure he does hp% damage if not instant death and resisted... Odin is usefull for when farming boxs, either TE or KI, since every ISL that drops meens the smn can claim 2-3 instant kills and since ISLs drop alot it can add up quick.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-05-02 15:14:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ina said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Bismarck.Altar said:
how much does it do? Never seen a smn use another 2hr than odin in aby >_>

Pritty sure he does hp% damage if not instant death and resisted... Odin is usefull for when farming boxs, either TE or KI, since every ISL that drops meens the smn can claim 2-3 instant kills and since ISLs drop alot it can add up quick.

Does shiva do % of mobs max hp? O.o
 Leviathan.Melisenna
By Leviathan.Melisenna 2011-05-02 23:31:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin - Damage to NMs cap at a range of 10-20% of their current HP or 9999, whichever is lower. However, percentage damage multipliers are applied after this calculation. This is why damage may exceed 9999.
Notorious Monsters will be hit for damage based on the summoner's remaining MP. The accuracy of this ability is dependent on the number of targets within range

an example of my old HNM leaders Odin dmg outside of abyssea:

and no, shiva does not do a % of a mobs hp.