Everybody Loves SAM Gear Threads.

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Samurai » Everybody loves SAM gear threads.
Everybody loves SAM gear threads.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Siren.Clinpachi
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-06-05 03:19:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think they would allow a degrade like that Duevessa simply for the fact jobs like PUP(i know lol) or others that have a lower skill cap. I can see the concern though.

If you want my honest opinion i hope they allow sea torques to be magian moogled to increase the skill+. maybe even let us merit skills further than 8.

Those alone would help solve that issue if it even became one.
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-06-05 03:21:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Ghaleon said:
yea looks good to me, only thing i see wrong is your wsgorget lol; and rutters ofc, but that has been mentioned already. also, i hate to say it, but AMK headpiece with str+4 wsdmg+2% augments will probably outperform your maats cap =x, though it doesn't look as shiney.

(copy and pasted from wiki)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Great Katana weapon skill

* Skill level: 225
* Mutes target. Damage varies with TP.
o Silence effect duration is 60 seconds when unresisted.
* Will stack with Sneak Attack.
* Aligned with the Aqua Gorget & Snow Gorget.
* Tachi: Gekko has a high attack bonus. [1]
Mistype on the gorget as i will aim for snow and flame mostly. As for the maat's vs AMK i dont see the 2% WS damage being useful at all (1000 will give you an extra 20).

In either case it comes close.
 Phoenix.Huwhuddep
Server: Phoenix
user: huw
By Phoenix.Huwhuddep 2010-06-05 03:22:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Clinpachi said:
If you want my honest opinion i hope they allow sea torques to be magian moogled to increase the skill . maybe even let us merit skills further than 8.

Even though I don't have any, I think that would be cool.
 Leviathan.Celestinia
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2010-06-05 03:25:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Huwhuddep said:
Siren.Clinpachi said:
If you want my honest opinion i hope they allow sea torques to be magian moogled to increase the skill . maybe even let us merit skills further than 8.

Man I hope so... leaning towards love torque over novio atm (die blm!) so being able to upgrade it would be awesome.

Also at 99 there will be a new merit type system apparently which will probably further enhance skills.
 Leviathan.Duvessa
user: Veronika
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-06-05 03:26:32
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're wanting to use polearm for sam, then AMK head definitely would be better than maat's cap. But you wouldn't want what Ghal said.

STR+4 Weapon Skill Accuracy +15
Accuracy+10 Attack+5

Would probably actually be the best. I know this is considered the "newb augment" but it fits perfectly for penta. You get a huge amount of acc from this single piece, letting you stack your attack and such elsewhere where you can get a MUCH larger bonus to attack if you don't have to slip some acc in there instead. Besides, 5 attack probably cuts it pretty close to 2% weaponskill damage on a penta.

i'd honestly stick with the maat's cap for GK though. But I'm not a sam, so idk if there's a better WS piece out there for the head slot. I can only speculate on polearm cuz it's the same as using it on WAR.
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-06-05 03:27:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celestinia said:
Phoenix.Huwhuddep said:
Siren.Clinpachi said:

Man I hope so... leaning towards love torque over novio atm (die blm!) so being able to upgrade it would be awesome.

Also at 99 there will be a new merit type system apparently which will probably further enhance skills.
Yeah i think rumors of tier III or expansion was indeed mentioned. They DID also say we would be able to upgrade existing ARMOR using magian moogle as well.

I hate this limbo period and waiting to see what happens.
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-06-05 03:28:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Duvessa said:
If you're wanting to use polearm for sam, then AMK head definitely would be better than maat's cap. But you wouldn't want what Ghal said.

STR+4 Weapon Skill Accuracy +15
Accuracy+10 Attack+5

Would probably actually be the best. I know this is considered the "newb augment" but it fits perfectly for penta. You get a huge amount of acc from this single piece, letting you stack your attack and such elsewhere. Besides, 5 attack probably cuts it pretty close to 2% weaponskill damage on a penta.

i'd honestly stick with the maat's cap for GK though. But I'm not a sam, so idk if there's a better WS piece out there for the head slot.

For Gkatana it's pretty much sheer unadulterated STR+ (75% mod) since the single hits Y/K/G already get an acc bonus.

And the MTK head for penta sounds like a good idea on paper, but im iffy.

Thanks by the way for the genuine comments/suggestions/problem solving because i am schuper amazed at no flames/trolls just yet.
 Leviathan.Duvessa
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-06-05 03:32:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea, those single-hit weapon skills have it easy. If you have 80% acc on a single-hit WS, you're gonna hit 80% of the time lol. If you have 80% on a 5 hit WS you're going to land all 5 hits only 32.7% of the time.

Though you probably should never WS with 80% acc ever, under any condition!
 Leviathan.Celestinia
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2010-06-05 03:33:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Ace's

Gnadbhod's

AMK with str+4 wsacc +15

Nocturnus

Lots of different options and will depend on your build. Need some math guru's here.

Edit: Nocturnus too! Forgot that XD
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-06-05 03:33:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm going to change around and finalize some stuff and post it in a second (using the itemset tags this time lol)

EDIT: my current MTK head has STR+6 WSACC+15% Haste+2% >_<
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-06-05 03:35:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Nocturnus helm might be an option if you can't get Gnadbhod's helm.

Dunno though, Best sam I know using a polearm set uses a WS AMK helmet.
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Server: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2010-06-05 03:36:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Str+4 wsacc+15 come paired, so the amk headpiece i currently use is

Str+4 Agi+4 wsacc+15 wsdmg+2% , which is still a decent ws hat even for polearm.

as for gekko ws headpieces for sam, maats cap isn't doing it wrong at all.

AMK head with wsdmg+2% augment -> Maats cap -> Nocturnus cap(also great for penta), Gnadbhod's Helm (also great for penta) -> shura kabuto+1

AMK headpiece beat maat's only barely, and if you were a suck samurai it might not even beat it. but with better gear comes even more damage which should put the 2% on top. your comparing 2% overall dmg (which stacks very nicely with overwhelm i might add) to 3str.

the only time it even comes close is if that 3 str raises your fstr (which is could very well do.) dont ask me for math cuz its 4:35am prz :(
 Leviathan.Duvessa
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-06-05 03:37:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Ace's

Gnadbhod's

AMK with str 4 wsacc 15

Lots of different options and will depend on your build. Need some math guru's here.

If you have AMK head with +4 str +15 ws acc, then one other augment... Ace's is entirely useless for WS. All it offers is Str +4, and acc +7 which is already worse than only a single augment on AMK head.

As for Gnadbhod's, you'd probably only use this over AMK if you have capped acc already. Though it's not really worth it IMO. You could get so much out of the other slots by stacking the +25 acc and +4 str into the headslot from AMK.

Perfect example:
Switch out Noct. Body for Haubergeon +1 while using AMK head for polearm. (This is for Clin, not just anyone) It's 12 more attack you can get with the sacrifice of acc gained from the extra dex. The higher WS mods of noct won't make as much a difference as the extra attack since you arent hitting attack cap yet.
 Fairy.Ghaleon
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2010-06-05 03:38:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Ace's

Gnadbhod's

AMK with str 4 wsacc 15

u just made me lol.

ace's should never ever used as a ws piece, even for penta. so many other gear options :|
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2010-06-05 03:40:05
Link | Quote | Reply

My polearm build is average... It's a 5-hit when i connect 2 or more hits i believe, so not a full 5-hit but Im not that anal about it >.>... I'd probably get that extra TP from being melee'd once after anyways XD...

but:

TP: http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=160342

WS: http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=160344

Last I checked, with crab sushi I have a cap acc on WS, not 100% about TP but I believe it was /close/ if not capped. I have 4 Polearm, want 8 but I dont want to drop sword or Gaxe T_T... Also, dont have rose strap, or white tathlum atm...

Dont have WS setup but I have my GK TP setup on my page as well.

P.S. I dont have a PDT or Archery (well... didn't) once i hit 75, and I still dont have a PDT XD... I just dont do enough on my SAM to justify paying out the *** for arhats atm... Its really a salvage (low-man T1/2 Bhaf) and random stuffs, like campaign, and fov. Only skilled archery for ACP final fight... as thats all I see it being useful for tbh... Though it sounds fun in a merit pt... meh lol. Polearm seems better.
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-06-05 03:40:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Great Katana (Capped ACC)

Perks: Haste+21%, Accuract+27, Attack+47, 6 Hit

Great Katana (Uncapped ACC)

Perks: Haste+20%, Accuract+52, Attack+28, 6 Hit

Great Katana Weapon Skill

Perks: STR+67, Sea Gorget Bonus

So now that i edited the small mistakes in the Gkatana set these are pretty much set in stone right?
 Fairy.Ghaleon
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2010-06-05 03:42:16
Link | Quote | Reply

sure for about 3 moar weeks when they add a bunch of new stuff that make all that obsolete :]
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-06-05 03:42:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Ghaleon said:
sure for about 3 moar weeks when they add a bunch of new stuff that make all that obsolete :]
Pre-empted in the OP :D

Forum Parrying skill goes up 0.3

Also i think i've decided that Maat's will win it for me personally for Gkatana, however for polearm I'll end up redoing it to the STR+4 WS ACC+15 and WS damage+2% simply for penta.

The nice thing about this is... I'm more than the type of person to PARSE the damn results on the difference for gkatana instead of just say "I'm right screw you all".

EDIT: incoming polearm fixes.
 Leviathan.Celestinia
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2010-06-05 03:45:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I always assumed for penta AMK with str+4 wsacc+15 ws dmg+2% was the best head for merit pt on birds as capping acc isnt too hard and with the right buffs you should be hitting 1.5k with a good build. Since 5/5 overwhealm and +2% = 21% total on a 1.5k penta gives another 315 dmg.

On mobs other than birds the acc+10 att+5 is probably better. Gnadbods or Nocturnus is probably a good option when not getting att buffs.

And yeah Ace's is pretty worthless if you have access to better options lol I'd still use my shura head.
 Fairy.Ghaleon
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2010-06-05 03:46:31
Link | Quote | Reply

@ erik (quote wont work)

ah yes, what you have sir, is what i like to call "ghetto 5hit"

i sported that myself for a bit simply because i didn't rose strap. but once i got rose strap i tested out (parsed) a few times how much dmg i was actually missing by using a "ghetto 5hitbuild" and not a real one.

lost almost 7% overall dmg after all was said and done on average.

you gotta factor in everytime you dont get 2hits on penta, and everytime you get feather tickeled, even rare stuff like hitting macro when the bird decided to fly back to the bard cuz the damn war didnt voke! >o (causing tp to go back to 0)

so yea, its a pretty big dmg increase going from ghetto -> real 5hit. test it out yourself and see! ^^b
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2010-06-05 03:48:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont have the AN for a Rose strap... so I cant. TBH though, I dont merit often as well... And if I do, its on DRG/BLU, WAR/NIN or BRD/NIN lol... SAM is a luxory... Also, many of my merit pts are lowman (2 people duo/trio boxing) and I have hate /a lot/ >.> so...

edit:

5/5 STP merits. I actually have STP+56 which gives me [ 13 * 1.56 ] to make 20.xx So I do have a true 5-hit, but at the cost of 3 haste (i use hachiman kotes)
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-06-05 03:49:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Celestinia caught me with my pants down... i compared 2% to 20 damage on 1000 but i didnt think about adding it to overwhelms% lol.

I'm *** noobing it up here at 4:50am. But i can't put this down until i have it all figured out lol.
 Fairy.Ghaleon
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2010-06-05 03:51:39
Link | Quote | Reply

but i said it stacks w/ overwhelm in my previous post D:
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-06-05 03:52:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Samurai Polearm TP

This still doesn't seem right somehow.
Fairy.Ghaleon said:
but i said it stacks w/ overwhelm in my previous post D:

@_@ leave me aloooone 5am /cry.
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
Server: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2010-06-05 03:53:47
Link | Quote | Reply

As much as it makes me sound full of myself when I state this, honestly, I'm going to save myself (and yourself, to a sense) the trouble and just say, take a look here quick.

Off the top of my head, if there's some things you'll question, there's,

Why not use Smilodon Mantle +1 on Y/G/K, or at least Gekko?
I feel as if the attack will guarantee me that extra nudge on some things in particular, on top of, in my own opinion, that the ATK boost doesn't apply to the second hit on a Y/G/K, when a double attack occurs.

Why use only one TP build?
In my own opinion, it isn't worth the hassle even in the slightest to make diverse TP sets, when generally, as an example, the extra damage you'll gain from [briefly] swapping Cuch. Mantle to a Cerb. Mantle +1 would literally be a double digit increase to your damage in-full, triple digit at best, but even then, your total damage by the end of whatever you're doing would already be +50k at least. 50,234: oh my.

And, your own ideal question I believe you were asking (as I skimmed through the thread slightly),

Why use pure attack/accuracy over modifiers for Penta Thrust?
Oddly enough might I add, I do use Rana in the same fashion (as well as all the Ninja weapon skills on an additional note), simply for the fact that once a modifier on a weapon skill (especially multi-hit) reaches 40% or below, it honestly becomes hard to notice improvement-wise.

I used Myochin Kote +1 and Cuchulain's Mantle full time for a while on Penta Thrust, but then a friend of mine in the Salvage static we ran with, who was "lacking" M.Kote +1 at the time, was using Bandomusha Kote instead to suffice until he got the Limbus pieces for his kote... was commonly beating my Penta Thrusts in Salvage, with that one gear piece difference alone.

I brought out my Bandomusha Kote from storage, and I instantly noticed the difference the following Salvage; I haven't looked back ever since, and my 'kote +1 have been collecting dust instead. With such discovery though, I've also gone as far as to make two different Penta Thrust sets, specifically each being either accuracy, or attack; neither modifier-related.

Vegetto has like five(?) Asuran Fists macros, so by no means am I gloating when I say I have two different Penta Thrust sets, but they really are needed at times, even though I honestly rarely ever use my #1 (accuracy), since whenever I'm using polearm, I'm either [nearly] capping accuracy on easier, squisher stuff with 8/8 merits in my #2 set, or I'm eating marinara pizza +1 and that's capping my accuracy in my #2 set as well.

I'm sure dudeface'll show up in the morning here regardless, but just chiming in until then; hope it helps. :|
 Fairy.Ghaleon
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2010-06-05 03:54:32
Link | Quote | Reply

your right, swap love tork for ancient torq, or even pcc >.>;

at least. if your using meat lol. otherwise the tork can stay if your using sushi (though if your using sushi, u should swap ace's to turban :x)
 Leviathan.Celestinia
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2010-06-05 03:54:47
Link | Quote | Reply

That +2% is all down to how good your gear is and what buffs you get really. More dmg you do the more that 2% does. Your base penta dmg (assuming 4-5 hits land) should be pretty decent with the gear you have access to.

If you was only hitting 1k or less penta (with overwhealm factored in) then +2% won't be worth it imo.
 Fairy.Ghaleon
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2010-06-05 03:56:45
Link | Quote | Reply

@ironguy

"In my own opinion, it isn't worth the hassle even in the slightest to make diverse TP sets"

lolwut D:
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-06-05 03:57:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Ghaleon said:
your right, swap love tork for ancient torq, or even pcc >.>;

at least. if your using meat lol. otherwise the tork can stay if your using sushi (though if your using sushi, u should swap ace's to turban :x)

/head desk... i have a headache.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-06-05 03:57:15
Link | Quote | Reply

10 attack on that head would likely have more consistent dmg than 2% bonus.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7