Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Random questions about current meta
Random questions about current meta
By kaempfer0080 2017-11-14 15:11:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm a long time on and off player giving the game another go during this free month. I think the last time I played was 1-2 years ago, and I'm wondering how things have changed since then so I can suss out what my long and short term goals should be.

I have never really been in to the endgame of FFXI whenever I played, but last time I played I did a couple T2 and T3 NMs in Escha zones and dabbled in some Reisenjima fights too. I got in to it by playing GEO since it was really easy to get 900 skill, but didn't really enjoy the job that much. At that time it seemed there were generally 2 strategies that covered most fights. You either get a healer/GEO/COR and as many BLU as you can, or do an MB setup with a scholar. Has that changed at all?

I want to try and make my first REMA weapon since it's something I always wanted but could never decide on which to make. I have a near-master RUN but I'm not anywhere near making an Epeolatry. My BLU is/was okay-geared and JPd, but I prefer the aesthetic of SAM and DRK more. Are they any good? Ragnarok could be a good option since it's a relic and should be cheaper to make. Here are the ones I'm debating between:

Tizona
Almace - Honestly don't think I have the mental capacity for an Empyrean weapon
Amano
Ragnarok

But I'm very much open to suggestions for other jobs and REMA.

Also, slightly tangential question, how effective can a dual box character be? I've never multi boxed in FFXI but it is sounding fun and appealing at the moment. Can a decently geared DD and pocket 900 GEO or WHM/SCH etc. effectively duo a lot of content?
By zaxtiss 2017-11-14 15:53:12
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah it can do a lot of content.
blu with a geo tends to be one of the better combos imo but a whm is also better depending on what trust whms you have.
[+]
By fonewear 2017-11-14 15:53:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Tizona and Almace worth it the other weapons listed I personally wouldn't make.
By Boshi 2017-11-14 15:59:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok
By kaempfer0080 2017-11-14 16:00:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice, thanks for the quick replies. I'm considering making another account and leveling both GEO and WHM, then use whatever is better for a given fight. I have a lot of trusts on my main that can probably cover healing for most things.

Are any relics worth making?
By zaxtiss 2017-11-14 16:05:49
Link | Quote | Reply

aegis is
[+]
By fonewear 2017-11-14 16:06:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I would still do a relic if you want a lot easier. Never hurts to do a relic if you want it.
By Foxfire 2017-11-14 16:49:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragna might be the best bang for buck between your two relic alternatives
Tizona is def a good investment but I don't know how you can commit to a mythic and claim an empyrean is worse
I kinda grade them at about equally mind numbing idk

Ghorn is also super relevant, but similar to shield, you're expected to also carry the empyream counterpart (daurdubla, ochain).
Sam and dark have their uses and can do overall good dmg but I think warrior is higher in ideal situations? Honestly, just play what you like and use geo as a gateway to get the gear to properly DPS.
 Odin.Drakenv
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2017-11-14 16:55:14
Link | Quote | Reply

kaempfer0080 said: »
I'm a long time on and off player giving the game another go during this free month. I think the last time I played was 1-2 years ago, and I'm wondering how things have changed since then so I can suss out what my long and short term goals should be.

I have never really been in to the endgame of FFXI whenever I played, but last time I played I did a couple T2 and T3 NMs in Escha zones and dabbled in some Reisenjima fights too. I got in to it by playing GEO since it was really easy to get 900 skill, but didn't really enjoy the job that much. At that time it seemed there were generally 2 strategies that covered most fights. You either get a healer/GEO/COR and as many BLU as you can, or do an MB setup with a scholar. Has that changed at all?

I want to try and make my first REMA weapon since it's something I always wanted but could never decide on which to make. I have a near-master RUN but I'm not anywhere near making an Epeolatry. My BLU is/was okay-geared and JPd, but I prefer the aesthetic of SAM and DRK more. Are they any good? Ragnarok could be a good option since it's a relic and should be cheaper to make. Here are the ones I'm debating between:

Tizona
Almace - Honestly don't think I have the mental capacity for an Empyrean weapon
Amano
Ragnarok

But I'm very much open to suggestions for other jobs and REMA.

Also, slightly tangential question, how effective can a dual box character be? I've never multi boxed in FFXI but it is sounding fun and appealing at the moment. Can a decently geared DD and pocket 900 GEO or WHM/SCH etc. effectively duo a lot of content?
I have:
Almace bad *** for blu but many have.
Amano: very good vs higher level content but if you have no issue with acc I’ve been having a blast with my Masamune.
Ragnarok: depends on content but I noticed my calablog does more damage.
 Leviathan.Stamos
Server: Leviathan
user: Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2017-11-14 17:10:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Tizona changes how BLU is played and fully utilizes BLU's utility.
 Lakshmi.Splinters
Server: Lakshmi
user: Splinters
By Lakshmi.Splinters 2017-11-14 17:18:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Stamos said: »
Tizona changes how BLU is played and fully utilizes BLU's utility.

You will eventually want to make a mythic on a 2nd character and nothing farms alex better than a Tizona blue.
By Lariae 2017-11-26 01:06:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I made Almace, then Tizona on my Blu, I did it that way because of the lights VW event going on at the time, which i hope returns soon.. If I had a choice between starting one or the other I would choose Tizona.

As for clearing for Alex, BLU is incredibly good, even without Tizona get a MAB/MATK Set and AOE SSR2. My clears average around 17 minutes. If you time your runs, holding tags ect you can run 3 times over the course of an hour and make about 300-400 Alex depending on your luck, and this will allow you to do something for an hour and change in between the three runs.
By whitemage 2017-11-26 10:12:51
Link | Quote | Reply

kaempfer0080 said: »
Nice, thanks for the quick replies. I'm considering making another account and leveling both GEO and WHM, then use whatever is better for a given fight. I have a lot of trusts on my main that can probably cover healing for most things.

Are any relics worth making?

Mjollnir is totally worth it if your WHM is going to do any DDing. :D