Free Campaign Isn't Actually Free...

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Free campaign isn't actually free...
Free campaign isn't actually free...
First Page 2 3
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-11-09 22:46:21
Link | Quote | Reply

The campaign reactivates only accounts, but not wardrobes linked to the accounts. Mog Wardrobe 3/4 hold 160 of my most important end game gear, but its locked during the campaign. If I go to unlock it in SEAMS, it tells me you cannot unlock only a mog wardrobe (has to unlock the associated account also).

So if you're a returning end game player with paid addons, you'll actually have to pay up to use your stuff. Didn't know this before, I'm sure you all did. Guess i'll start a new job!

That was truly well played SE. Brilliant.

edit: I went back and read all the rules of the campaign. It actually says nothing about additional services linked to the inactive account will not be restored. I don't know why I thought they would have been.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dekusutaa
Server: Bismarck
user: dekusutaa
By Bismarck.Dekusutaa 2017-11-09 22:56:00
Link | Quote | Reply

That makes sense, but sucks I guess for people who had additional wardrobes.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By clearlyamule 2017-11-09 22:59:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah these have always just said characters and the wardrobe thing itself when it started they said don't put stuff in there if you want out if you don't pay
 Asura.Azagarth
Server: Asura
user: Azagarth
By Asura.Azagarth 2017-11-09 22:59:41
Link | Quote | Reply

maybe not be a scrub and pay the 16 bucks
[+]
By Justuas 2017-11-09 23:04:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Wardrobes 3 snd 4 are optional paid services so it makea sense they're not included in the free campaign.
[+]
By DaneBlood 2017-11-09 23:05:42
Link | Quote | Reply

So if i give you a free set of tires they are not free because you didn't get a full blow ferrari?
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Andret
Server: Leviathan
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2017-11-09 23:20:18
Link | Quote | Reply

DaneBlood said: »
So if i give you a free set of tires they are not free because you didn't get a full blow ferrari?

More like giving away 3 tires... the 4th one costs 4x more.
[+]
By clearlyamule 2017-11-09 23:23:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Chriscoffey said: »
I mean everyone in today's society wants something free no matter who else pays for it hell why not. Let's start a ffxi charity for people who want to play but don't want to pay.
We should just set them up with people who are willing to pay and want stuff in game but don't want to have to farm for it. Win win
[+]
 Bismarck.Dekusutaa
user: dekusutaa
By Bismarck.Dekusutaa 2017-11-09 23:23:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Andret said: »

The 4th tire isn't optional. I think this would be more like giving away the basic tires, when maybe some people would assume they'd get the bells and whistles premium tire.
 Bismarck.Herrera
By Bismarck.Herrera 2017-11-09 23:30:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Except the 4th tire costs the same as it does for everyone else. Unless you have receipts to back up the claim that wardrobes 3 & 4 now cost ~10$ for returnees.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2017-11-10 00:14:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I think you guys are missing the whole premise behind a free campaign. The point is to draw people back in so they activate their subscription. The fact I can't sign back on and actually experience the new content because all of my accessories are in wardrobe 4 and all my capes are in wardrobe 3 means I'm not even bothering to patch the game to come back for the free campaign, when otherwise I would be doing so.
[+]
By clearlyamule 2017-11-10 00:23:24
Link | Quote | Reply

While there is a point there they did kind of warn you and it's part of the package deal.
By Justuas 2017-11-10 00:36:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »
I think you guys are missing the whole premise behind a free campaign. The point is to draw people back in so they activate their subscription. The fact I can't sign back on and actually experience the new content because all of my accessories are in wardrobe 4 and all my capes are in wardrobe 3 means I'm not even bothering to patch the game to come back for the free campaign, when otherwise I would be doing so.
Why did you quit yet again tho
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2017-11-10 01:01:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Justuas said: »
Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »
Why did you quit yet again tho

Because the only thing that could possibly improve my character was farming Gin and only Gin repeatedly for a 1% drop and just no.

But now there's new content out! But I'll wait until there's some relic+3 that looks good first, probably.
 Leviathan.Andret
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2017-11-10 01:02:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Herrera said: »

Except the 4th tire costs the same as it does for everyone else. Unless you have receipts to back up the claim that wardrobes 3 & 4 now cost ~10$ for returnees.

SE: Everyone gotta pay $20 for a set of 4 wheels. But you, my friend, get 3 for free~~~!!

You: Oh cool! But what about the last wheel? I want the last one to make the full set!

SE: Sure! You just need to buy the whole set for $20.
[+]
By clearlyamule 2017-11-10 01:04:59
Link | Quote | Reply

SE: Everyone gotta pay $20 for a set of 4 wheels. But you, my friend, get 3 for free~~~!!

You: Oh cool! But what about the last wheel? I want the last one to make the full set!

Naw it's more like

Wendys: Fries cost $2 chilli cheese fries cost $3...But hey free fries today.

Customer: so can I just pay $1 for chilli cheese fries then?

Wendy's: That's not how this works and you know it
[+]
 Lakshmi.Inspectorgadget
By Lakshmi.Inspectorgadget 2017-11-10 01:28:59
Link | Quote | Reply

It was like this last time and nobody bitched about it then.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2017-11-10 01:30:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Inspectorgadget said: »
It was like this last time and nobody bitched about it then.

I did. That's why I didn't return in November of 2016, it wasn't until Omen gave me something to do in December that I did. This time there's Dynamis to do, but only a tiny bit of that content so I'll probably wait until a zone with useful +3 gear comes out. COR feet isn't enough for a resub.
 Bismarck.Indigla
user: Indigla
By Bismarck.Indigla 2017-11-10 04:00:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
The campaign reactivates only accounts, but not wardrobes linked to the accounts. Mog Wardrobe 3/4 hold 160 of my most important end game gear, but its locked during the campaign. If I go to unlock it in SEAMS, it tells me you cannot unlock only a mog wardrobe (has to unlock the associated account also).

So if you're a returning end game player with paid addons, you'll actually have to pay up to use your stuff. Didn't know this before, I'm sure you all did. Guess i'll start a new job!

edit: I went back and read all the rules of the campaign. It actually says nothing about additional services linked to the inactive account will not be restored. I don't know why I thought they would have been.

I thought they said even if you let subscription to your wardrobes 3 and 4 expire, any gear in them would still be equipable, just not moveable.
By DaneBlood 2017-11-10 06:30:15
Link | Quote | Reply

and yet i would still not complain because it still in no way or shape worse than if they didnt offer it for free.

But i guess we have difference of opinion on how entitle you should be about other peoples offering you stuff for free
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2017-11-10 06:32:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbf it isn't free play if you can't play because all your weapons are in wardrobe 4

Oh well, at least ffxi still works as a chat client.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Drakenv
Server: Odin
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2017-11-10 06:55:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Caerda said: »
Did you expect them to give you a mythic weapon also? Enjoy the free play or stfu.
Lol
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-11-10 07:42:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Indigla said: »
Lakshmi.Buukki said: »

I thought they said even if you let subscription to your wardrobes 3 and 4 expire, any gear in them would still be equipable, just not moveable.

I don't see it anywhere in the rules nor remember it being said. I understand the logic actually but I just didn't know that's how it was set up. Other players who may have wanted to return might want to know that every ambuscade cape and ultimate weapon is locked away, so something to consider before jumping back on the character.

To what lady said: the free campaign is a business strategy (usually coinciding with an update or me feature feature/event campaign) to encourage players to return, and then hope they reactivate their accounts. So in theory they will already be getting paid when the campain ends so nothing is lost. The fact that the two wardrobes are locked actually makes this scenario the reverse, where you actually need to completely resub to gain access to the wardrobes, completely nullifying the free campaign to begin with. That's a very interesting option. I had always thought perhaps the bags were locked but you could still access them by equip screen. This is not the case.

It's not about money or complaining. It's just an interesting thing I've never noticed since this is the first free campaign I've ever actually remember fully getting to participate in. Some other returning might want to know that. I know I would have.

I'll still play and level another job in either case since it gives me a chance to do something else instead of grind for a change.
 Sylph.Elwynbelwyn
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Elwynbelwyn 2017-11-10 19:50:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Now I feel amazingly smug for never having gotten wardrobe 3 & 4.

I'll be out fishing while you guys whine about your stuff being locked away in the premium slots, yeah.
[+]
 Bismarck.Phaded
user: Phaded
By Bismarck.Phaded 2017-11-10 19:59:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Was I the only one that used 3/4 for lock style/unused gears and then deactivated them? Til this day I'm still able to use lock style without paying.

Also the free campaign/tire analogy is a bit flawed, it's more like being told you can drive a car for free but you cant use the back seat or the trunk. People should be happy they are still getting to drive for free.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2017-11-10 20:16:18
Link | Quote | Reply

A better tortured car analogy would be if you went to a used car lot that you have bought a lot of cars from previously and they told you to take any car you wanted out on a test drive for free but neglected to fill any of them with gas.

Even that is a bad analogy because providing the FFXI service to additional players costs SE almost nothing and there is virtually no risk. Free login campaigns are a marketing ploy designed to re-hook old players and this one is not making me want to come back because they flubbed the execution. The worst part is that they flubbed the execution in a way that preferentially affects their highest value returning customers.

It's classic SE ineptitude, which almost nostalgic for me.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-11-10 20:40:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, the whole execution of wardrobes was very anti-consumer. They should allow you to remove items from it, but not equip items or add items to it, once disabled. I assume it was a matter of laziness that resulted in the current implementation. I had wardrobe3/4 for about 2 months longer than I intended, because my plugins kept throwing gear back in them while they were active and I'd forget what day they deactivate and not pull it out.

It's not that you're missing the wardrobes that's the issue, it's that you're missing the gear you already placed in them.
[+]
First Page 2 3