AH mechanics
 Cerberus.Boogs
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: rs1n
By Cerberus.Boogs 2017-11-03 14:41:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
It's not gaming the system, it's working with small increments.

If you want to sell something at 100M, but you want it to sell first and you consider 100k irrelevant. Ok, so you list it at 99,900,000. But wait, what if someone went lower? Ok, let's list it at 99,800,000. Maybe that 100k doesn't matter so much, if you'd theoretically be willing to lower your price again just to get the first sale.

If you need your item to sell first and it's that important to you, make a deep undercut. It's that simple. It's not broken, nobody is gaming it, they're just making larger potential sacrifices than you are. You won't ever know what they listed it for unless the bidder hit their actual increment, just that it was lower than you.. so stop worrying about it.

This is how it should be (in bold above). I completely agree! But this is not actually how it plays out. The issue here is that you can get your sales out first without deep undercuts. You need to look at it locally (i.e. near the buying price, whatever it may be) and not globally (i.e. among all sellers).
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-11-03 14:42:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Boogs said: »
This is how it should be (in bold above). I completely agree! But this is not actually how it plays out. The issue here is that you can get your sales out first without deep undercuts. You need to look at it locally (i.e. near the buying price, whatever it may be) and not globally (i.e. among all sellers).
If you get your sale out first without a deep undercut, the other person clearly wasn't in much of a rush to sell their item because they didn't make a meaningful undercut themselves.

This is some autistic ***.
[+]
 Cerberus.Boogs
By Cerberus.Boogs 2017-11-03 14:45:55
Link | Quote | Reply

If you were really concerned about the 'insignificant' undercutting, look at lowest priced item's price. Any item within 1% of it's price is thrown into a list, and the one with the longest duration on AH is the one sold. Boom, fixed.

...It really doesn't matter, though. The way it is now encourages meaningful undercuts already. Next you'd just be complaining about someone listing a 100,000g item for 98,999 and getting the first sale.

I have absolutely no issue with someone listing at 98,999 and getting 99,500 because that was what the buyer was willing to pay, and all other sale prices are higher than 99,500. But you contradict yourself when you suggest that the current system encourages meaningful undercuts. Look above where you wrote: 'insignificant' undercutting. That you even mention it means the current system doesn't really encourage meaningful undercuts. In fact, I would argue that this system ONLY encourages meaningless undercuts rather than significant ones.
By fonewear 2017-11-03 14:46:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Look if you don't like the AH don't use it is it really that difficult to understand...
[+]
 Cerberus.Boogs
By Cerberus.Boogs 2017-11-03 14:52:35
Link | Quote | Reply

If you get your sale out first without a deep undercut, the other person clearly wasn't in much of a rush to sell their item because they didn't make a meaningful undercut themselves.

This is some autistic ***.

Indeed autistic. Until you finally recognize that undercutting itself is not the issue, as I have stated many times, this discussion does seem very autistic.

As for your actual response, who's to say that we both weren't already making deep undercuts? For all you know we both already made huge undercuts.

EDIT: After already making deep undercuts, it then becomes a stupid game of who can make the most insignificant additional undercut to get their sale first.
 Leviathan.Andret
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2017-11-03 14:53:53
Link | Quote | Reply

If you want to sell something at 100M, but you want it to sell first and you consider 100k irrelevant. Ok, so you list it at 99,900,000. But wait, what if someone went lower? Ok, let's list it at 99,800,000. Maybe that 100k doesn't matter so much, if you'd theoretically be willing to lower your price again just to get the first sale.

If you need your item to sell first and it's that important to you, make a deep undercut. It's that simple. It's not broken, nobody is gaming it, they're just making larger potential sacrifices than you are. You won't ever know what they listed it for unless the bidder hit their actual increment, just that it was lower than you.. so stop worrying about it.

Actually this works out quite well in actual market conditions. They simply use the classic game theory to present it to the players and watch them beat themselves up over it.

Supposed that you have 2 stores selling coke on 2 different sidewalks. Store A was there 1dt and he was buying the cokes at $1 and selling for $5. Store B comes in later and put on the price of $4.99. he is in direct competition with store A.

Theory dictates that everyone on the store B side will buy from store B and some stingy people will go from store A to buy from store B.

Store A would loose (a bit) and wanted to get that back. He would sell his cokes for $4.98.

The sequence repeats itself until they both selling it at $1.01 and nobody can go lower.

The idea of AH is the same. The guy selling 1 Gil less than the other guy has the advantage of selling 1st. In a high moving market, this wouldn't matter because the guy can only put 7 items on at any one time. However, players are encouraged to depressed the prices. To 2 Gil, 3 Gil, 100gil, 200gil, 500gil, 1000gil. As much as they think is reasonable to beat the other guy.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2017-11-03 15:21:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Stop being mad at Wal-Mart.
[+]
 Cerberus.Boogs
By Cerberus.Boogs 2017-11-03 16:56:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Andret said: »

Actually this works out quite well in actual market conditions. They simply use the classic game theory to present it to the players and watch them beat themselves up over it.

Supposed that you have 2 stores selling coke on 2 different sidewalks. Store A was there 1dt and he was buying the cokes at $1 and selling for $5. Store B comes in later and put on the price of $4.99. he is in direct competition with store A.

Theory dictates that everyone on the store B side will buy from store B and some stingy people will go from store A to buy from store B.

Store A would loose (a bit) and wanted to get that back. He would sell his cokes for $4.98.

The sequence repeats itself until they both selling it at $1.01 and nobody can go lower.

The idea of AH is the same. The guy selling 1 Gil less than the other guy has the advantage of selling 1st. In a high moving market, this wouldn't matter because the guy can only put 7 items on at any one time. However, players are encouraged to depressed the prices. To 2 Gil, 3 Gil, 100gil, 200gil, 500gil, 1000gil. As much as they think is reasonable to beat the other guy.

Sound game theory, but wrong game. The fact that the prices are known to the buyer makes a huge difference. Instead, the buyer has a more complicated game than just choosing the lower price and/or weighing whether the lowest price is worth the effort of crossing the street.

Instead, they must first bid for a paying price given that in the past the cokes have been selling around $5.00. So they yell on a megaphone what they are willing to pay, and at some point a coke is instantaneously delivered to them at some price point. The most stingy of buyers will start at $1.01 and work in increments of one penny to get the absolute minimum price. Less stingy ones might try $4.00, then $4.25, $4.50, $4.75, and $5.00. Most buyers will try in increments of $1.00 because it's just easier to handle, or simply just settle for $5.00 rather than waste their time to see if there is a store willing to sell at various price points under $5.00 (especially if all the other prior sales were at $5.00).

The buyer doesn't care who is selling the coke. On the other hand, you could have sellers willing to sell at say $4.75 and see plenty customers paying $4.75, without any money ever reaching said sellers because there was some rule about how if you secretly promised a lower selling price (that was completely hidden from all buyers) then your sales will automatically go through first.
 Odin.Drakenv
Server: Odin
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2017-11-03 22:20:50
Link | Quote | Reply

If you were really concerned about the 'insignificant' undercutting, look at lowest priced item's price. Any item within 1% of it's price is thrown into a list, and the one with the longest duration on AH is the one sold. Boom, fixed.

...It really doesn't matter, though. The way it is now encourages meaningful undercuts already. Next you'd just be complaining about someone listing a 100,000g item for 98,999 and getting the first sale.
Lol