Brd VS Geo For Mule ?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Brd VS Geo for mule ?
Brd VS Geo for mule ?
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2017-11-02 06:30:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Returning player

I want to make a 2nd job for my whitemage dual box mule.
Which job is most useable for backline buffing Brd or Geo>

If it geo how big is the difference?
As i have to consider i need to level end gear geo. and i have a master brd mule im getting close to 3 songs (but will probably not get 4 songs in a long time.

Which is easier to play as dualbox?

Is WHM/BLM/RDM/SCH fine enough supjob for GEO and BRD ?
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2017-11-02 06:43:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Nearly everything "requires" a GEO nowadays, you can get around not having a BRD. If your going to be using it to get stuff done on your main account then a pocket NQ GEO is hard to pass up.
 Asura.Seriweri
user: seriweri
By Asura.Seriweri 2017-11-02 06:54:09
Link | Quote | Reply

it depends on which jobs you play on your main, and who you play together with (and their jobs), really. brd doesn´t support mages like geo does, by a longshot.

blu main would prefer a geo doing fury/frailty.
other melees probably haste/frailty, or also fury/frailty
mages acumen/malaise
bst and smn, frailty and umm... whatever I guess

brd on the other hand will cap (or at least buff) melee haste, and stack up minuet for melee, give ballad to any mage and do nothing for bst (which, on the other hand, makes it extremely easy to dualbox xD).

geo is extremely easy to gear actually, you can get away with nq af/relic/empy armor and still get to 900 skill via job points, which you will have next to no troubles being invited to (on asura it´s like that at least). gearing a geo mule up to be a decent nuker takes some effort, but you can and will get away without too much money spent.

brd, well a 3song instrument is relatively easy to obtain, after that it´s all about money and dedication. a daur brd is A LOT more useful than having just a terpander. gearing brd to be a decent backup meleer takes effort.

in terms of ease of dualboxing: assuming you don´t use any auto-action lua for geo, and you don´t nuke, it´s like 2 macros every 3 minute, unless you have to recast the luopan. brd is 1 set of keypresses every <insert song duration> minutes. both aren´t exceptionally challenging to dualbox on.

I have a master geo mule, with ghorn 3song brd on the same character, and the only time I find myself using brd is when doing vd avatars, as I prefer carols over bubbles there.

long story short, get a geo.
By Darksparksnot 2017-11-02 07:01:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Geo.

Buffs are usually better than brd but the selling point is maybe how easy is to gear, doesnt require hq's and af, relic and emp are stupid easy to make, no dynamis or abyssea ***to do.
Another good thing is nuking, nq geo can deal huge amount of dmg, while brd can do decent melee you need above avg gear and skill to dbox.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2017-11-02 09:16:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I love my brd alt but most of the reason I can get away with that is because my brother's alt is primarily a geo. My alt would probably be better off on Geo most times if it wasn't for that despite my brd having gjallar, 99 Duardabla and much better gear than my geo.

I find that Geo is easier to play. 4 song brd is pretty involved to get songs up and keep them up. Even if you have a gearswap auto song system it still takes a while to buff.

That said, I'm pretty stuck in my ways and end up with my alt on brd even when geo might be a better choice.
 Lakshmi.Elidyr
Server: Lakshmi
user: elii
By Lakshmi.Elidyr 2017-11-02 09:35:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Posted by Byrth a while back and I found it very insightful.

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
So fall-out from the BRD changes. I've noticed that the update hasn't really changed when I use my bard. Additionally, I thought it was worthwhile to look at how RMEAs affect the viability of the job.

The effect of RMEAs
I looked at the 16 permutations of RMEs in 2 conditions (~30% Haste + Max Attack or ~30% Haste + Max Acc) and here's what I found:
1) G-horn is kind of shitty now. Obviously don't toss it if you've already got it, but it's a minor increase over second-best alternatives. It is worth 33 Attack (Max Atk) or 14 Acc (Max Acc)
2) The difference between Moonbow Whistle and Moonbow Whistle +1 is 58 attack (Max Attack) or 17 Acc (Max Acc) with all RMEAs.
3) For Atk, RMEA order should be Marsyas -> Carnwenhan -> Daurdabla -> (Gjallarhorn)
4) For Acc, RMEA order should be Daurdabla -> Marsyas -> Carnwenhan -> (Gjallarhorn)
5) The difference between a non-RMEA Bard and RMEA Bard is massive.
Max Atk no RMEA: 223 (~= +19% Atk for my DNC)
Max Atk RMEA: 965 (~= +82.5% Atk for my DNC)
Max Acc no RMEA: 107
Max Acc RMEA: 309

Because BRD RMEAs interact synergistically, having all of them roughly triples the potency of bard buffs.

As far as comparison to Idris GEO, Indi-Frailty is 41.8% Defense down which (assuming Dia II is on the monster and accounting for it) is comparable to an 86% increase in Attack. Indi-Fury is a 61.7% increase in Attack. Torpor/Precision are both 100 Acc.

For COR, Chaos Roll offers +46.2% Attack (same term as Indi-Fury).

Comparing buffer teams
Looking at the current game I find there are basically three situations:
A) You don't need to resist stuff and don't need Acc (Ambuscade, most of Omen)
B) You need to resist stuff, but don't need Acc (Omen Caturae)
C) You need to resist stuff and do need Acc (Albumen)

For situation A, RMEA BRD+GEO would be better than GEO x2, but COR+GEO would be much better than bringing a 0~2 RMEA BRD.
For situation B, GEOx2 wins here. One does Vex/Attunement and the other does Fury/Frailty. Geo matches RMEA BRD's Atk offering with a non-BoG'd Frailty and can choose whether they need more attack (Fury) or some Acc (Precision), and if you have two GEOs they can keep entrusted Indi-Haste up full time.
For situation C, I'm imagining Carols coming into play but I'm also imagining party swaps, so it's more like "do I bring 2 BRDs or only one along with my COR and 2 GEOs?" RMEAs are obviously appreciated here too.

Everything in FFXI is situational and this is no exception, but I set out to explain why I wasn't finding myself using my RMEA BRD very often and here we are.

Personally I read this a while back before I had BRD and COR mules alongside my GEO. I usually found GEO to typically be my standard go to job on my mule when doing stuff, but usually because I could switch up what I needed with trust while I was on BLU. (Scherzo/ACC/Dia3/Frazzle/Distract)

Really it is always going to come down to what you are fighting, and what job you are on that benefits the most. Take last months Ambuscade for example. I wanted to use my mules to cap points, but two of them were only master COR/BRD, and GEO/BRD. Made me wish one was a RDM!
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-11-02 10:27:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Between GEO COR and BRD, GEO wins pretty much hands down, primarily due to frailty and malaise. Between COR and BRD it really depends on party setup and what exactly you need.
 Asura.Fiasko
By Asura.Fiasko 2017-11-02 11:11:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, a BRD/COR mule can pre-buff and drop for a party. A GEO mule has to stay in the party for the fight. While not groundbreaking it is something to consider.
[+]
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2017-11-02 11:56:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you for all the feedback looks like i just have to fininsh off the emp harp and then start working on geo.

no plan on dd on brd since it will take away time for getting dd
gear on my main character that i just started over from lvl(war nin thf). i wanted to play a diff race
and wife plays blu
 Asura.Sirris
user: Safiyyah
By Asura.Sirris 2017-11-02 12:01:09
Link | Quote | Reply

How does this question look for pet party? My wife and I are generally doing PUP (tank) plus BST (DD) and maybe SMN (DD) at some point, and I have a mule that I've started COR and GEO on. It's basically between Frailty + whatever versus Beast + Companion's rolls.
 Asura.Taberif
user: Taberif
By Asura.Taberif 2017-11-02 12:18:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I have all three brd cor geo mules. I'd say the cor has come in handy the most. Pre fight buffs for anything, Leaden salute for CP pwrlvl, etc. Pretty easy to find geos for any content. Brd is extremely good but abit more work to dualbox.

Cor>Geo>Brd if mule for pet jobs
 Lakshmi.Elidyr
By Lakshmi.Elidyr 2017-11-02 12:29:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sirris said: »
How does this question look for pet party? My wife and I are generally doing PUP (tank) plus BST (DD) and maybe SMN (DD) at some point, and I have a mule that I've started COR and GEO on. It's basically between Frailty + whatever versus Beast + Companion's rolls.

COR and GEO really, as I dont think BRD has anything beneficial towards pets that I can recal, other than minor gains from debuffs?

It can help you though which would lead to overall increases I guess. I want to say GEO might be a better option for pets in the long run. I really have not dug to deep in the pet world.
By clearlyamule 2017-11-02 12:37:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah brd aint gunna do jack for a pet setup outside idk maybe sleeping adds. None of brd debuffs are going to help dmg or help the auto tank. And none of the buffs do anything for pets at all though I guess ballad might help the smn... but other jobs can help there too.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2017-11-02 13:07:02
Link | Quote | Reply

/twocents

why even bother with dual boxing....

got a cor and two bard trusts ... and yoran is a pretty decent whm... and Cornelia...

or you can switch out a bard for a rdm if you need phalanx II

the DD trusts suck *** and the tanks can't keep hate for ***but if your main is geared decently there isn't much you can't open up a can of whoop-*** on with the buff trusts..
[+]
 Lakshmi.Elidyr
By Lakshmi.Elidyr 2017-11-02 13:32:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
/twocents

got a cor and two bard trusts ... and yoran is a pretty decent whm... and Cornelia...

the DD trusts suck *** and the tanks can't keep hate for ***but if your main is geared decently there isn't much you can't open up a can of whoop-*** on with the buff trusts..

Honestly for me the biggest help was a solid WHM. It pretty much trumps anything else. Yes the potency of rolls/songs/bubbles are typically greater than trust, but an extra body also typical increases the difficulty of most events now.

Its a shame trust just couldn't be a bit brighter on the AIs. That's what typically helps in my opinion.
[+]
By clearlyamule 2017-11-02 13:36:02
Link | Quote | Reply

cor trust doesn't do pet rolls :(. Tank trusts do pretty good for holding till you ready especially with relatively low enmity DDs like self mbing schs or pet jobs
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2017-11-02 13:50:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Elidyr said: »
Its a shame trust just couldn't be a bit brighter on the AIs.

I don't want to derail.. but it would be awesome if you could build your trusts from the ground up like a mule...
[+]
 Asura.Sirris
user: Safiyyah
By Asura.Sirris 2017-11-02 14:03:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Elidyr said: »
Asura.Sirris said: »

COR and GEO really, as I dont think BRD has anything beneficial towards pets that I can recal, other than minor gains from debuffs?

It can help you though which would lead to overall increases I guess. I want to say GEO might be a better option for pets in the long run. I really have not dug to deep in the pet world.

Sorry, I should have stated, I discount bards, as they don't have pet buffs or mob debuffs that help pets in any significant way.
By clearlyamule 2017-11-02 14:40:31
Link | Quote | Reply

If you are choosing between cor and geo it will kind of vary on content and how you want to level gear them and how much attention you want to pay to the mule.

Frailty will help more with pdif but light shotting dia and beast roll is still pretty good. Gearing/playing the jobs for support cor is much easier but geo isn't that hard. But depending on who is who it might make a difference. Like if I was the bst running in and out to ready and was also playing the mule I'd much rather be doing cor for simplicity

Geo does give you the option to use magical/hybrid bps better to
[+]
 Bahamut.Baozzer
Server: Bahamut
user: baozzer
By Bahamut.Baozzer 2017-11-02 15:27:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Without reading anyone's long reasoning GEO simply because its 2 things to do rather than 3-4 songs. Much easier and much more potent imo.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-11-02 15:36:30
Link | Quote | Reply

GEO is more attention, but significantly more effective. If you play with an established group, you may want to consider COR just to fit in easier though. Idris is a 6 month slog, and if they have Idrises already available they're unlikely to want to utilize a non-idris geo.
[+]
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2017-11-10 06:42:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
/twocents

1: dual boxing give you more stuff to handle it get the game more intensive and fun to pay

2: I dislike trusts it seem them as what startes as a necessary evil due to low population, but it seems to have hurt more than it benefited.

Seeing how people now have trust on auto play for them with a tank end a healer and cant get a win in a party because they never learned to play to the mobs/nm strategy.

3: Trust don't go everywhere

4: more things to gear = more things to get = more things to do.