Possibly could be #1 MMO if remastered :D
First Page 2 3 4
 Leviathan.Hirasaki
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Demerol69
By Leviathan.Hirasaki 2017-08-31 22:48:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Just a thought but if they actually remastered this game like StarCraft 1, this could be the best MMO in the market. Don't think there's any mmo available right now that comes close to the massive content FFXI has.

Keep everything the same, just upgrade the graphics. xD
[+]
By Justuas 2017-09-01 02:02:18
Link | Quote | Reply

One can always dream.
[+]
By Artemicion 2017-09-01 02:07:15
Link | Quote | Reply

At this point, I'd just be happy if SE paid more attention to the universe of Vana'diel and kept it alive even with just single player or vague multiplayer spin-offs.
Grandmasters isn't exactly dead in the water, but at the rate it's moving, we'll likely see a server shutdown before a post-Japan release.

But I agree with you. All the content, story, lore, music, aesthetics and gameplay in this game are grand and vast. If it had a modern facelift remaster, it could easily contend with even it's modernized analogue of XIV, as well as perhaps WoW and BDO.
 Fairy.Averel
Server: Fairy
user: Averel
By Fairy.Averel 2017-09-27 09:51:17
Link | Quote | Reply

And while they're at it, leave a legacy 75 cap server.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2017-09-27 11:49:34
Link | Quote | Reply

graphics aren't the problem. the problem is the WoW-ification of our once great game. if everything is easy for everyone, what's the *** point?

I loved ffxi because it punished you for playing it. ***was hard and took time.
[+]
By Taint 2017-09-27 11:56:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Most of FFXIs models were stolen for FFXIV anyways, should be an easy port.

FFXIV is beautiful but absolute garbage as a game.

FFXI is old but has a very deep game.

The biggest problem I see is the new generation of gamers wants their job of choice to be viable. (its my $12.95 mentality) FFXI doesn't care about your favorite job or what you think, you man up and deal with FFXI.

This will turn off an entire generation of entitled gamers.
[+]
By clearlyamule 2017-09-27 12:02:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Problem is they designed it in a lot of ways to force immersion and forge a community thru by making everything in the game not easy even just getting around.

Don't think such a style of design would really work anymore. Right now a lot of what necessitated them going back on a lot of that was game populations but even if we went back to our height it wouldn't work. Too many WoW knock offs or just games in general to really grab a bunch of new peoples interest in this. Hardly anyone gunna camp ground kings for the chance to lot something 5 years down the line. And well gamers nowadays are a bit more instant gratification then before because of all the options

And the internet and online communities have evolved so much since the early days that we have new content figured out and all on wikis the day after an update. Meanwhile back in the day random blogs might be your best source of info on say CoP missions and that might be months after it was released. Half the population were pretty meh at gearing too instead of having pre built guides like nowadays.

Going the theme park style just puts you in the running of 50 other ones. Sure this has some amazing lore and the battle mechanics that aren't broken are pretty great but it's not that much better and a lot of those don't really grab and hold attention the same.
 Sylph.Cherche
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Cherche 2017-09-27 12:51:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Taint said: »
The biggest problem I see is the new generation of gamers wants their job of choice to be viable. (its my $12.95 mentality) FFXI doesn't care about your favorite job or what you think, you man up and deal with FFXI.
Bad game balance is bad game balance.
[+]
By fonewear 2017-09-27 12:56:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Cherche said: »

Pretty much this if you can't make monk worthwhile for example...why even have the job ?
[+]
 Leviathan.Andret
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2017-09-27 13:23:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Soul-like FFXI!

Loose 25% of your HP if you die!

Levels matters little! Equipments have penalties!

They can always go to that direction. FFXI was punishing enough.
By clearlyamule 2017-09-27 13:35:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Andret said: »
Soul-like FFXI!

Loose 25% of your HP if you die!

Levels matters little! Equipments have penalties!

They can always go to that direction. FFXI was punishing enough.
Well weakness does reduce your hp and mp greatly and give you massive slow....

And we could make more Spelunker's Hat's
By anik 2017-09-27 13:39:11
Link | Quote | Reply

The #1 MMO is equal to the largest minnow in the ocean.

What % of the gaming market is MMORPG?

Anyways, does anyone have any idea how much remastering ffxi would cost?

Anyone have any idea on projected revenue?

I think you guys can find your ultimate answer after finding the answers to the above 3 questions.
[+]
 Phoenix.Foxthesly
Server: Phoenix
user: FoxtheSly
By Phoenix.Foxthesly 2017-09-27 13:45:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Agreed. And this is coming from someone who loves the game and played since 2004.
[+]
 Shiva.Spynx
Server: Shiva
user: auron86
By Shiva.Spynx 2017-09-27 13:45:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
graphics aren't the problem. the problem is the WoW-ification of our once great game. if everything is easy for everyone, what's the *** point?

I loved ffxi because it punished you for playing it. ***was hard and took time.
This sums up so well how I feel about the game. I'm not saying camping kings for 3h every night and then losing claim was fun but getting a drop felt special and very rewarding. Right now a random returning person can spam some salvage/dyna/ambu/sparks for couple weeks and make enough money to pay a merc to get the "ultimate weapon" in 6h. Few years ago, SE recognized the game was in his twilight and made it easier and easier to keep as many players as possible to keep profits.

A remaster is not going to happen obviously (even the mobile is not even mentioned any more) but I'd like at least a small effort to make the last months of this game appealing rather than the last few awful updates.
[+]
By fonewear 2017-09-27 13:50:16
Link | Quote | Reply

The content can be challenging but 90% of the players don't want that. If you want difficult go play another game.

Games like FFXI are about keeping people subscribed.
[+]
By clearlyamule 2017-09-27 17:50:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Spynx said: »
A remaster is not going to happen obviously (even the mobile is not even mentioned any more)
Actually there has been some recent semi news on it. Seems it Nexon's most recent investment presentation still has it and it's been moved up in priority
 Bismarck.Dekusutaa
Server: Bismarck
user: dekusutaa
By Bismarck.Dekusutaa 2017-09-27 18:44:58
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
The content can be challenging but 90% of the players don't want that. If you want difficult go play another game.

Games like FFXI are about keeping people subscribed.

Good news is, SE is all about Games as service as they noted recently. http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/17q4outline.pdf

Their goal is to keep people playing and the players engaged. I can see FFXI living a long life with subs being stable now that PS2/360 support is gone. The next question is, when the roulette wheel comes up again for an MMO refresh, whether they'll do another WoW clone like XIV or actually look back to XI and redo this game.

I frankly don't see the point of two WoW clones from the same publisher.
[+]
By Draylo 2017-09-27 18:56:22
Link | Quote | Reply

It's already #1 :)
[+]
 Bismarck.Dekusutaa
user: dekusutaa
By Bismarck.Dekusutaa 2017-09-27 20:14:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Voliathon said: »
I could've sworn years ago there was a good lad on ffxidats(when it existed) that was putting the existing textures through the high-quality machine. He worked with Bastok at first and was showing side by side screenshots. Aside from a community project starting up for that dream *Wink Wink*, I just don't see the development team growing or getting the money to push new juicy content. The Orcish Empire, Gigas Homeland, The Island of Tsahya, and The Great Southern Empire could bring so much more to FFXI...

Where does Adoulin fit?
 Leviathan.Vedder
By Leviathan.Vedder 2017-09-27 22:45:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Wasn't it the western continents area?
 Bismarck.Phaded
user: Phaded
By Bismarck.Phaded 2017-09-28 05:36:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dekusutaa said: »
Bahamut.Voliathon said: »
I could've sworn years ago there was a good lad on ffxidats(when it existed) that was putting the existing textures through the high-quality machine. He worked with Bastok at first and was showing side by side screenshots. Aside from a community project starting up for that dream *Wink Wink*, I just don't see the development team growing or getting the money to push new juicy content. The Orcish Empire, Gigas Homeland, The Island of Tsahya, and The Great Southern Empire could bring so much more to FFXI...

Where does Adoulin fit?

It's a widely known fan made map made well before Adoulin was released. It's not meant to be taken as a real map of Vana'diel.
[+]
By fonewear 2017-09-28 07:44:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Also some of haven't "beaten" the game yet. With terrible drop rates from Omen. They want us to do that content forever...
By Justuas 2017-09-29 03:38:21
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Also some of haven't "beaten" the game yet. With terrible drop rates from Omen. They want us to do that content forever...
One does not simply beat this game.
[+]
 Asura.Rathood
Server: Asura
By Asura.Rathood 2017-09-29 04:10:26
Link | Quote | Reply

You mean no balance at all FF14 No class/Jobsystem everything is the same healer is just a healer with another name nothing new to it at all dps is dps tank is tank nothing special about it except maybe attributes warrior does more damage paladin does a little bit less but has more aoe Support healing that's about it..
[+]
 Sylph.Cherche
By Sylph.Cherche 2017-09-29 09:11:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Rathood said: »

You mean no balance at all FF14 No class/Jobsystem everything is the same healer is just a healer with another name nothing new to it at all dps is dps tank is tank nothing special about it except maybe attributes warrior does more damage paladin does a little bit less but has more aoe Support healing that's about it..
It's better than having jobs that are literally pointless to have because they're absolutely worthless.

Or a singular job that is so much more powerful than any other that you're kinda really stupid for not using it.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-09-29 10:20:27
Link | Quote | Reply

It's better than having jobs that are literally pointless to have because they're absolutely worthless.

Or a singular job that is so much more powerful than any other that you're kinda really stupid for not using it.
SMN needs a nerf, and nobody with any sense of balance is going to say otherwise.

That said, having niche jobs with less uses is still more variety. You're kidding yourself if you think FFXIV is anything approaching FFXI. It's just an entire game full of handing out free wins/pats on the back for the WoW crowd.
[+]
 Sylph.Cherche
By Sylph.Cherche 2017-09-29 10:38:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
That said, having niche jobs with less uses is still more variety. You're kidding yourself if you think FFXIV is anything approaching FFXI. It's just an entire game full of handing out free wins/pats on the back for the WoW crowd.

yes, because a game that an individual players with multiple characters can clear most, if not all, the the content is extremely well balanced and difficult.
First Page 2 3 4