New Router - FFXI-4001 And FFXI-4002 D/Cs.

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » New Router - FFXI-4001 and FFXI-4002 D/Cs.
New Router - FFXI-4001 and FFXI-4002 D/Cs.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-06-25 08:55:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I recently bought a Linksys EA7500 router in combination with some network upgrades(wanted to use my original router as an access point since the back of my house gets spotty wifi). Now, I get d/ced constantly with the errors FFXI-4001 or FFXI-4002. The longest I've stayed online through the router normally is a bit over 2 hours. Nothing else seems to be interrupted, and I've stayed logged in for 24 hours over a VPN(through the router, but obviously the VPN would have been handling FFXI's ports). So, it seems something about linksys's routing is causing the issue.

I've turned off the router's firewall temporarily, long enough to confirm it still happens. There are numerous old forum posts about this issue, mostly without resolution. Some suggest port forwarding, but it happens when standing around in a zone so I can't imagine FFXI is trying to establish any incoming connections. I'd prefer not to forward the colossal range of ports FFXI uses if it won't help.

Curious if anyone has experienced this problem recently, and whether they found a resolution besides changing routers. If anyone solved it with port forwarding, that'd be great information as well.

(Obviously my next step after port forwarding is to just swap the routers and use the new one as the access point, but it's better specced so it seems like a waste to do that. Rather understand the issue if anyone knows what it is.)
 Sylph.Reain
Server: Sylph
user: dmregm
By Sylph.Reain 2017-06-25 11:17:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I would probably just return it and buy something that supports custom firmware. DD-WRT or tomato by shibby.

Sorry, probably not the answer you were looking for.
By Jetackuu 2017-06-25 11:31:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I love my tomato by shibby, I should flash my new router to it.

As for OP: I seem to recall some people having issues and changing a setting in POL's "network settings" tab before you login, mine is currently set to: disabled, do not use and the rest is blank, but it may be a good shot. You could probably just set it to always use a proxy, if you have one you can use, but you shouldn't need to, that's for sure. I can't say I ever ran into network issues of the sort, and they're far and few between, maybe do some logging to see what's up?
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-06-25 16:28:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Switched the routers back since it seemed like a better short term solution than trying to play through a proxy/vpn. Definitely not buying another model that doesn't support tomato.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kevinsorbo
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Kevinsorbo 2017-06-25 16:31:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Could try to put the PC in the DMZ on the router.
Edit: Would bypass all the port forwarding stuff.
By Jetackuu 2017-06-25 16:38:06
Link | Quote | Reply

This is the one I have:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UVN20T0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't know why I thought it was on the list, it definitely isn't (maybe it was and then got pulled, doubt it though)

http://tomato.groov.pl/?page_id=69

I think it says it does DD-WRT though. My old E3000 worked great but it was a refurb and I think the antenna had an issue as it got to the point to where I had to reboot it often, I believe I scripted it though, but this one has been flawless since I got it running, the interface is a bit clunkier than I'm used to, but it does support a lot of the features I was using cfw for (static IPs and whatnot). I may be switching it to an AP though, depends on if my rack will stay cool enough, getting some cisco routers off somebody, so I get to play around more.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-06-25 16:39:44
Link | Quote | Reply

sadly dmz isn't an option, I have a NAS that needs outside access.. just a shame that an otherwise great router can't handle some of ffxi's bizarre structure
 Carbuncle.Snoochybooch
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Snoochybooch 2017-06-25 18:09:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Is someone in your house using an Xbox 1? I had to port forward a few ports since ffxi and xbox live share some ports.
By Jetackuu 2017-06-25 20:40:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Snoochybooch said: »
Is someone in your house using an Xbox 1? I had to port forward a few ports since ffxi and xbox live share some ports.

That is odd, haven't had a bit of trouble.